Poll

Do you want a new one?

yes
17 (89.5%)
no
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: December 04, 2013, 10:30:42 PM

Author Topic: Who wants a new Metriod Game?  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Who wants a new Metriod Game?
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
let's get a poll to Nintendo pleading for this!
Made you look ****.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants a new Metriod Game?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:28 AM »
I'd rather have a new Metroid-LIKE game that's a new IP. The Metroid franchise is damaged goods at this point in this post-Other M world. I'm not sure I would trust the franchise to anyone but Retro, and they're stuck making Donkey Kong games now.  Besides, Nintendo could use a major new IP at this point.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
I love Metroid.  Zelda/Metroid are the ying and yang of my Nintendo fandom.  But I'm afraid of what a new one would be like.  Other M was such a horrible misstep that I don't know what to expect.  Will Nintendo just continue on with that approach or will they forget Other M ever existed and have the series bounce back?  The scary thing is that the series was damaged by the guy who created the whole damn thing.  It isn't like Contra where the whole thing went off the rails for a bit because Konami outsourced it to devs that fucked it up.  Star Fox's fall occurred while Rare and Namco worked on it, not the original devs.  So what does Nintendo do?  Take the series away from the creator because he's gone George Lucas on us?  Or do they let him continue to **** it up?  It's a delicate situation.  Of course having the series just end because of Other M would be pretty shitty too.  What SHOULD happen is that Metroid is handed off to devs that know what they're doing but it involves an awkward situation with a long term Nintendo employee and a level of self-awareness that I don't think Nintendo possesses.  Does Nintendo KNOW why Other M sucks or do they just think it's one of the only first party Nintendo games you'll find in the cheap bin because we don't like Metroid anymore or some other delusional nonsense that conveniently diverts all responsibility from Nintendo themselves?

I want new IP from Nintendo mostly because of the new gameplay ideas that should come forth from that.  But if it's a Metroid style game I think it just makes sense to be Metroid.  I'm more annoyed when they make a game in a new genre and decide to shoehorn in a pre-existing IP.  But they can keep Mario in their platformers and Zelda in their adventure games.  It makes sense to do that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »
I'd like a new Metroid game. It's time the series went back to 2D. Metroid had it's fun in 1st person and Other M existed, so I think it's time to go back it the series' roots. To be honest, with all the 2D platforming on Wii U, I wouldn't mind it being there, but I'd expect it to be on 3DS.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I really hope history does not judge Other M too harshly. I agree with the majority that Other M was a disappointment when compared to it's predecessors in the series, but that was a rather high bar to meet. Other M had more than a few problems, not least of which being Sakamoto's adherence to a clumsy control scheme, but on aggregate it was actually quite a good game in spite of it's issues.

It had a sense of atmosphere, the action was fast, the exploration was satisfying (if limited), and it at least tried to do something new with the Metroid mythology.

It certainly doesn't stack up against Super Metroid or the Metroid Prime Trilogy (hell, what does?), but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Gouge away.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
I really hope history does not judge Other M too harshly. I agree with the majority that Other M was a disappointment when compared to it's predecessors in the series, but that was a rather high bar to meet. Other M had more than a few problems, not least of which being Sakamoto's adherence to a clumsy control scheme, but on aggregate it was actually quite a good game in spite of it's issues.

It had a sense of atmosphere, the action was fast, the exploration was satisfying (if limited), and it at least tried to do something new with the Metroid mythology.

It certainly doesn't stack up against Super Metroid or the Metroid Prime Trilogy (hell, what does?), but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Most people who played Other M enjoyed it.  All the hatred is coming from a vocal minority like most things on the internet.  Go to any review website that show combinations of different scores, and most of the Other M's reviews from professional and user reviews are favorable. 

Just look at metacritic for Other M says it all.

Critic Reviews - 79%
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m/critic-reviews

54 positive
17 mixed
0 negative

User Reviews - 6.8
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m/user-reviews

214 positive
32 mixed
74 negative

So in the end, most people share your opinion of Other M, that game was flawed, but still very enjoyable.  The extreme hatred is just a vocal minority bitching as loud as they can.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
Hand the story to a good writer and let me use the Pro Controller and I'd love a Metroid game in the vein of Other M. The core gameplay was pretty good.

Still, I'd prefer a 2D Metroid with hand drawn HD sprites.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »

So in the end, most people share your opinion of Other M, that game was flawed, but still very enjoyable.  The extreme hatred is just a vocal minority bitching as loud as they can.

That's probably true. I just hope the 'vocal minority', as you put it, don't drown out everyone else. If that were to happen I think it's very possible that Other M might be recalled as an abject failure, when in fact it was merely a flawed game. Retroactive detraction can sometimes be taken too far.
Gouge away.

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
I only want a new Metroid game if it's like Metroid Prime. If it's not like Metroid Prime, then Samus can stick to the SSB series for all I care.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
A 79% average score in a world of ridiculously inflated videogame review scores might as well be 20%.  Hardly any game gets below 50% unless it is so buggy it could be considered a defective product.  Getting under 80 is pretty bad, unless it's a niche game that reviewers don't get.  And this ain't Sonic the Hedgehog.  It's Metroid.  Metroid games have a reputation of being transcendent.  "Flawed but enjoyable" doesn't cut it.  And the user average is 6.8 out of 10?  When you got 68% on an exam did your parents put it on the fridge?

I hate Other M and mostly because it lacks what I consider the whole damn point of Metroid.  The game is very linear and arbitrarily grants you new abilities when the story dictates instead of you, the player, finding it.  How is that any different from a level based action game?  Everyone craps on the story, which is terrible and insulting and pisses away 20 years of Samus being the go-to example of a strong female character in a videogame, but videogames often have piss poor stories so that isn't a deal breaker for me.  But the core element of the gameplay that makes Metroid what it is has been removed and that is the mortal sin of sequels.  It's like a Mario game without jumping, being marketed as part of the mainline Mario series.

If Other M is just a one-off mistake then it's reputation might improve in time but if it turns out to be the turning point for the series' slide into mediocrity it will live in infamy.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
It's surprising that shingi hasn't said anything, considering he's like the biggest metriod fan their is!
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 02:09:55 AM »
So what we need is an HD Other M remake next generation with good controls?  OK, I would settle for that...why not.

You know what might be interesting is a game that was mostly 2D, but had 3D Arena style boss battles...or at least some boss battles like this...when they fit. 

I am kinda sad we never got a Wii 3rd person shooter, because with the pointer/nunchuk combo, you can easily make a fun shooter/adventure game.  If you are smart about how items work you can make a truly open world game...that would feel like Metroid and Zelda blended together.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
I want a new game like Super Metroid in Other Ms art style. Is this too much to ask Nintendo?

Also I thought Gunpei Yokoi was the creator of Metroid, not Sakamoto.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

No one said Sakamoto was the creator of Metroid.
Gouge away.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
A 79 is a pretty good score. Metacritic weighs more reputable reviews higher than others to keep BS scores from skewing the average. Very few games get over a 90; which should be the Metroid standard, but no one is arguing that Other M is worthy of a 90.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Other M was outright bad, not just mediocre. Terrible controls, ugly art design, FUBARed structure, all worse problems than the story. Iansane's right, game reviews are terribly inflated for the most part (e.g. AC III reception), and what examples are there of a mediocrely reviewed game climbing the ranks of opinion rather than vice versa? (Based on gameplay, not cult factors like with Deadly Premonition).

I think Metroid Prime has had it's time, and while a full HD iteration would be pleasing, I don't see where it could make a big enough gameplay splash. At this point my vote would be for a retail 2.5D game for the WiiU with bonkers sprite work and animation. Pick up from Fusion, actually incorporate Metroid DNA powers, go fucking nuts with the map, 3-4 times the size of Super Metroid. You could even do a Fez or Lone Survivor type thing where the map is arranged three dimensionally and the navigation is 2D.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »

I did and he is one of the creators as he was one of the directors of the first game.  Yokoi was the producer.  As part of the original design team Sakamoto realistically has as much claim to it being "his" series as anyone.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
I stand corrected.

I skimmed the comments but couldn't find what Toruresu was referring to.
Gouge away.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »

I did and he is one of the creators as he was one of the directors of the first game.  Yokoi was the producer.  As part of the original design team Sakamoto realistically has as much claim to it being "his" series as anyone.

Wow, I didn't know Sakamoto was part of the original team. But come on, he changed the formula SO much in Other M, that it makes me wonder if he even understood it himself. If Other M was a new IP I'm sure we would be praising it. It was a very crappy Metroid game.

Here's an idea. Make a 2.5D Metroid game with a central huge hub area made by Nintendo and have it connect to 3-4 other areas made by 3rd parties, like Capcom, Konami, Team Ninja and even Retro (2nd party I know). The idea being that each area would be self contained, with its own original power ups, mini bosses and a final area boss. The power ups would be useless in the other areas, because of something in the central hub. I know this would be hell to implement, but think it would inject life into the Metroid series.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
I would really like a continuation of the Prime series but with freedom to explore other planets a la Mass Effect.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Like in Metroid Prime 3?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
A new Prime would be nice but I think the series needs a break for a bit. Bring back some other series and then either close out this gen with a Metroid or open the next gen with one. I can tolerate the current flood of Mario titles but games like Zelda and Metroid need to be better spaced between releases.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
A new Prime would be nice but I think the series needs a break for a bit. Bring back some other series and then either close out this gen with a Metroid or open the next gen with one. I can tolerate the current flood of Mario titles but games like Zelda and Metroid need to be better spaced between releases.

True, but Prime has been skipped a whole generation already, given the fact that its was almost a Gamecube title.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
Prime 1 and 2 were Gamecube titles though? Or did you mean Prime 3?

Anyway, I think the Prime series has been dormant long enough to merit revival. I just think the main series is more deserving.