Author Topic: How come you don't own an X-box? (Why?)  (Read 12603 times)

Offline Round Eye

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: How come you don't own an X-box? (Why?)
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »
Grey Ninja sums it up nicely I think.

Other than that, I cannot afford it.  I am made pretty broke just trying to keep Nintendo in business.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline aLI!En

• View Profile
RE:How come you don't own an X-box? (Why?)
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2003, 04:14:02 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
And if the XBox version of the game does have marginally better graphics, how is it any blow to the Gamecube version? It's still a great game and leagues ahead of the PS2 version.

Did you ever seen BurnOut2 PS2? It looks better than GC. Even Xbox does have hardly better graphics, mostly because of progressive scan output. My opinion: Xbox > PS2 > GC

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Also, why should Nintendo go online now if they're only gonig to lose money. I'd rather have Nintendo pour their money into making great offline games rather than have them split their profit between mediocre online and offline games.

Why should Nintendo go online now if they're only going to lose money... Why should Nintendo go online now if they're only going to lose money ... Why should Nintendo go online now if they're only going to lose money...

I listen this $hit every day!!! I'll tell you why: because we want online games! I don’t care if they lose big money; I want to play games online! I want Nintendo LIVE this gen! Throw all your money Nintendo there that service will be payable next gen for sure.

Listen me carefully mouse_clicker, N5 will be dead from the beginning if only N5 doesn’t have online service! Time has changed Nintendo, people want online games! If you doesn’t listen us, you dig your own grave.

Originally posted by: Round Eye
I am made pretty broke just trying to keep Nintendo in business.

omg. I can’t believe my own eyes. I don’t support companies; I support quality titles, where ever they are.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2003, 01:46:47 AM »
YOU want online. However, you are not a part of the majority and the majority is where the money comes from. Nintendo said online gaming isn't profitable JUST YET, however they never said it will never be. If it's profitable next gen, expect N to include it.

I'd like to see the green party rule my country, however the majority of the voters want SPD or CDU. I don't get my green goverment. It's the same with online gaming.

You want a realistic racer? Well, I don't. I think ignoring realism gives more freedom for gamedesign and I think a racer needs weapons. Well, whatever. Have a N.I.C.E. day!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2003, 07:57:39 PM »
I think a racing game online isn't really a good thing.
IF you find that the single player/multiplayer is worse than online, than there is a reason why you would like online in the first place.
Great racers like Mario Kart and F-Zero don't need online because the single player is just as good. I haven't played MK or F-Zero GX, but I have played AX, and I have to say that Sega really have nailed the speed and graphics on the head with the coolest style I have seen.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2003, 09:25:52 PM »
I tend to stray away from realistic games *cough cough Halo cough cough* because with reality you cant use your immagination to input some awesome game mechanic and the realistic factor makes a game go MEH. I rather play a game crafted from a game directors and Dev teams minds rather than having a realistic limit to it and making a lack luster experiance. IMO the Xbox Live service is a gimick to me because Microsoft is  forcing you to play on their network or no online for you and why would I pay for a service I wouldnt use alot. If the future of videogaming is all about realistic things then its gonna be a demise of videogames and their creativity value put into them.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline aLI!En

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2003, 06:20:18 AM »
"YOU want online"
ask your frends. Almost everyone wants online games.

"Nintendo said online gaming isn't profitable JUST YET"
It doesent have to be. Look what MS doing now. They know they'll make big money soon. And they are 100% online ready next gen, Nintendo isnt.

"If it's profitable next gen, expect N to include it."
Oh, it isnt something like: ok, online is profitabile now, we'll bring N LIVE tomorrow. Building Xbox LIVE took MS almost  2 years. You must be ready for future, or there wont be future for N.

"You want a realistic racer? Well, I don't"
That's what I am talking about. CG got to have various types of games for all gamers! N doesent have realistic car game, and that hurts GC more than you can imagine! A lot of people buy Xbox or PS2 for GT, PGR, RSC ...

"I think a racing game online isn't really a good thing."
Yeah, right!

"IF you find that the single player/multiplayer is worse than online, than there is a reason why you would like online in the first place."
Online is alwaus better than Singl Player. Real people >>> computer AI

"Great racers like Mario Kart and F-Zero don't need online because the single player is just as good."
GT, PGR, RSC are great racers also. online give that games whole new dimension. as I sad before: Real people >>> computer AI

"because with reality you cant use your immagination to input some awesome game mechanic and the realistic factor makes a game go MEH"
Let me guess, you have only GC? there are a lot of fantastic realistic games.

"Microsoft is forcing you to play on their network"
that network is in my opinion great service! all my gaming buds in one place, lag free, same gametags in all games, free long distance calling to my friends...  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2003, 08:21:41 AM »
My friends don't care about online, either. Many people don't even have broadband. If oNline uses the same approach as Live!, those people are immediately locked out.
I don't see Live! to make any profit anywhere soon. If online was THE feature absolutely everyone wants, don't you think adaption rates were a BIT higher?
However, Nintendo is already preparing and going to be ready when online becomes important. They haven't announced much yet and probably won't until half a year before launch, but various sources report of negotiations with Gamespy and AOL, suggesting more than a vague interest in going online.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2003, 09:18:19 AM »

I listen this $hit every day!!! I'll tell you why: because we want online games! I don’t care if they lose big money; I want to play games online! I want Nintendo LIVE this gen! Throw all your money Nintendo there that service will be payable next gen for sure.

Sega lost money going online. Microsoft is losing money going online. Sony is losing money going online. OBVIOUSLY, if you'd stop thinking about yourself here for a second, not enough people WANT online to actually make a profit off of it. Why should *I* throw MY money at Nintendo to online this gen when *I* don't want online gaming? Why should *I* support something just so YOU can be marginally more happy than you were before? Stop being selfish and start thinking about what's best for Nintendo, which is NOT going online right now.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2003, 12:55:41 PM »
Alien, do you realize that less than 5% of Xbox owners actually use Live?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2003, 06:49:19 PM »
I don't own an X-Box because software makes the console, not hardware and hype. There is more software on the GameCube and Dreamcast that I want more.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2003, 09:09:49 PM »
Nintendo HAVE been online.

For the SNES:

The Bandai-satellaview X which was a modem that fitted underneath the SNES. It was highly popular in Japan (unlike the 64DD), because you could connect the system up to the St Giga satellite TV station between 4 and 7pm to view games news, chat online and download games.
The games were the real draw because many of them were exclusives or special editions of already popular games. You could download most of them onto a re-writable memory cart, which slotted into the BS-X cart, which in turn plugged into the top of the SNES like a normal cart.
Games included graphically enhanced versions of Zelda, Super Mario Collection, and extra tracks for F-Zero and Excitebike. You could also play against virtual friends with games that had multiplayer.
It was such a success, that Nintendo made games for it right up until March 1999, and only pulled the plug in June 2000.

So when Nintendo says it isn't keen or in a rush to get into online gaming, it's because they've already done the experimenting years ago (literally, as you just read) and know exactly what they're doing. Not because (as people like some of you assume) they are miserable little buggers and can't be arsed.

--Info taken from Issue 5 of Australian CUBE magazine in the "What has Nintendo ever done for us" feature--

So now Alien, shut up. And that goes for all you complainers, XBox and PS2 fanboys, xBOX LIVE and Sony ONline supporters, and all round idiots.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2003, 06:34:37 PM »
Termin8, the first Nintendo console to go online was the Famicom.  Sorry, just correcting ya.    The only Nintendo console to NOT go online was the N64.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2003, 06:47:51 PM »
The N64 would have gone online if it weren't for the Disk Drive's demise.  It was made so that you could use a modem to surf the net, download game content, etc...It sounded really cool at the time, and it still does
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2003, 12:51:03 AM »
well either way, i just wanted to make Alien shut up, so don't ruin the moment!

Offline KatDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2003, 10:03:11 AM »
This thread is f'ing hilarious.  The "fanboy cup" runneth over.... lol. [rolling eyes ensues]  It's almost as if some of you have to come up with a reason to justify your GC.  Anyway.... [/rolling eyes]

I'm an Xbox owner, and there is quite a few titles worth owning for the 'box than is given credit here.  And there are two or three different arguments that, well, they just don't hold water (and haven't for the last 2 years or so).

1)  "Teh controller is teh suxxorzzz!!111!!...."  Give me an f'ing break.  Sure the original is a little bit on the large side (although it fits my hands fine), but there's quite a few aftermarket controllers, as well as the Controller S.

2)  "Teh Bill Gates is teh evillllzzz!!"  No description necessary.

3)  "Teh games are teh suxxorzzzz!!!11!!!1!"  Again, this is funny as hell.  I can put together quite a list off the top of my head that are great games.  Also, as for the PC games, I'd much rather play them from the comfort of my leather couch or recliner on my 55"HDTV than from the office chair/desk combo of a desktop computer, but that's just personal preference.

You know, I own an Xbox, and a ton of games for it.  Yes, there have been "duds".  However, I own a Cube as well, and it has its' share of duds as well.  Both systems are quality, in my mind (without bringing out the fanboy in me).
Dyslexic man sells soul to Santa--film at 11.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2003, 01:14:21 PM »

Termin8, the first Nintendo console to go online was the Famicom. Sorry, just correcting ya.  The only Nintendo console to NOT go online was the N64.

i suppose it depends on your definition of "online". Personally i feel that an online console is able to connect to a remote network, not another console. The Super Famicom was the first online console to me. Also, the 64DD had Randnet, which shut down last year if i remember correctly.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2003, 01:37:23 PM »
Well, there really wasn't an internet structure to work with in the Famicom days.  Modem access to another console is a loose definition of online interactivity in my books.  I was not aware that the N64 had a communications device either.  I guess I stand corrected on that one.  I suppose that all Nintendo consoles have had some sort of online interactivity.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2003, 02:29:27 PM »
None of them particularly successful.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2003, 02:37:43 PM »
Just like the Xbox and PS2's online capability.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2003, 02:40:19 PM »
Except less so because Nintendo knows when to pull out- I have a feeling Sony and Microsoft are going to drag their's out.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2003, 03:29:47 PM »
I bought my XBox to play CVS2 online. If it didn't do that, I wouldn't have bought it. Halo and Shenmue II are nice perks, and DDR Ultriamtaitmix probably will be, too.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2003, 05:45:56 PM »
Still though SUPER, you have to admit that you are in the minority of Xbox owners.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2003, 05:54:46 PM »
<------ Does not approve of paying for online gaming
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2003, 06:04:57 PM »
I approve of paying for online gaming- how else will the company maintain the servers without going bankrupt. But I don't want to actually PAY to play online.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2003, 07:04:08 PM »
If it's a game that you have to pay to play, I won't play it.  It's really that simple.  I play AA (America's Army), because it's free, and very pleasing (for the most part).  That's really the reason that console P2P games don't fly.  People don't want to pay to play a game they already own.

But I have considered buying a broadband adaptor and a copy of PSO for development purposes.  (I find Dolwin completely inadequate)