Author Topic: Help me please!! (Progressive Scan/vga cable)  (Read 6286 times)

Offline insert_coin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Help me please!! (Progressive Scan/vga cable)
« on: April 30, 2003, 06:14:43 AM »
Hi, I am new in the forum, from catalonia

I have a doubt. I see the games in my crt monitor via vga cable with games in progressive scan. Rogue Leader and Eternal Darkness it's cool, but today has arrived Wave Race Blue Storm (I thought that this game supports PS) and only works the audio, the video don't works!!

Who have the vga cable?

Help me please!!
Think Different.

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 08:17:51 AM »
If the game does not support progressive scan, it will not work with VGA.  There's nothing you or I can do (except find a monitor that supports 15khz horizontal refresh, which I have not been able to do).

-Angus

Offline insert_coin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 10:49:18 AM »
My monitor is an Apple crt 17". Cool, I see that you have a monitor to play with GC, don't you? Welcome to my club! VGA RULES

Can you tell me what games can I play in a conventional monitor (without 15khz...)?

Thx.
Think Different.

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 11:18:46 AM »

Yeah, playing games on the monitor is nice.  The picture is super-sharp.  I also own an HDTV, though, so I only use the VGA monitor when my fiancee is hogging the TV.

There's supposed to be an icon on the back of the game box to indicate whether it supports progressive scan, but not all game publishers use it, which results in confusion.  All Nintendo first-party (and second party, I think) games will support progressive scan.  You just have to be careful with the third party games.  If it doesn't have the progressive scan icon on the box, do a search on the net first to find out for sure.

-Angus

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 10:56:45 AM »
hold up here...
only progressive scan games will work through a VGA box?
then how do these boxes work for older systems like SNES and N64.  not to mention my wonderful little Dreamcast VGA box that works wonderfully  and i'm pretty sure NO DC games were progressive scan...

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 11:08:10 AM »
A VGA box allows any source to play on a monitor.

The VGA cable mod using the component cable only works with Progressive Scan games.

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 12:59:55 PM »
Not all games supported the DC VGA box though... besides that, the video obviously wasn't interlaced when they came out of the box, so I'll assume it was progressive afterall.
Those generic SNES/N64/GC are just crummy upscan converters.

The VGA cable does work with all games, but unless the game supports progressive you won't see it on your monitor (unless you're lucky enough to have a rare 15khz compatible model). It should work just fine for any TV-Monitor unit, or digital projectors.. ^_^ a little obsession of mine. Seeing Prime or Wind Waker on the wall can give you chills. Works wonders for WinAmp visualizations too.

Offline insert_coin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 04:18:37 AM »
What of the following games can't be played in a monitor with vga cable?

Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Extreme G3
Burnout
Burnout 2
Mario Party 4
Starfox Adventures

I need to know, it's very important for me, thx!
Think Different.

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 05:59:29 PM »

Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Mario Party 4 will work, since they're Nintendo titles.

The others, I don't know.  You might try checking the reviews on this very website for more information.  If all else fails, google is your friend.  

-Angus

Offline insert_coin

• View Profile
RE: Help me please!! (Progressive Scan/vga cable)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2003, 12:52:09 AM »
, ok, thank you, AngusPodgorny.
Think Different.

Offline Kris B Krunch

• View Profile
RE:Help me please!! (Progressive Scan/vga cable)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 09:13:08 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this Forum. This is my first post. Thought I'd just join this thread, rather than start a new one. Anyways, I have a 27"JVC I'ART tv, just like this one:
JVC TV

Now, I know it's not an HD TV, but would I benifit at all by buying the component video cables for my GameCube? Would the progressive scan games run beter than they do now? (right now the gamecube is hooked up with S-Video) I have a DVD player that I bought component cables for, and I did notice a bit of a difference. So, if I went the tv route, would I have to swap cables everytime I want to watch a DVD? Or is there some sort of double connection on the GC component cables, kinda like the way you could hook up multiple things with the old RF conectors.

If it dosn't make any difference, my other option that I'm considering is to hook up to a VGA monitor.

Idealy, I wish I could just go out and buy myself a realy nice widescreen HDTV, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. So, what do I need to get to make my progressive scan games run on a vga monitor. I don't want one of those boxes that simply takes the RCA cables so you can run it in the monitor, because the only reason I'd use the monitor is to see what a difference the progressive scan makes (I hear it's quite a difference) So, if any of you can direct me on what to get that would be great. Or any links to show exactly what to do would be awsome too.
btw, I know the first step is to get the component video cables

So to sum it up, should I go with option?:
1. Get the component cables and hook it up to my existing tv
2. Get the component cables and hook it up to my vga computer monitor (plus what the cables need to hook up to the vga connection)

Thanks in advance, and this looks to be a great board

*edited to try to get the link to work*

Offline Kris B Krunch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 08:22:41 PM »
No Suggestions????

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 08:46:35 PM »
Just get component and use them with your TV.  You'll get a slightly sharper picture than S-Video and it'll have no color bleeding at all (unless your tv's busted).  Madcatz sells a decent component switchbox.

VGA monitors aren't meant to display interlaced video, which can't really be helped, despite what scan converter you buy for a TV-to-VGA hookup.  Then there's the extra cost for that converter too.  I suggest you stick with the TV solution.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kris B Krunch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 07:22:07 AM »
I think I'll get the component cables for my tv like you suggested. But curiosity is just killing me, I realy want to see what my progressive scan games look like on my monitor. I'll probably end up trying it out as well. Anyone got a link to a product that takes the component cables into the monitor? And I don't care that only progressive scan games will work. I just want to try out the better visual quality.  

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 08:38:40 AM »
The Xblaster converts a component signal to VGA, and has a pass-through so you don't have to reconnect your monitor when you're done. You'll still need a component cable though. i should have my cable later this week, and i'll post impressions after i get a chance to use it.

Check www.copperbox.com. Price should be around $49-$69.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 09:37:06 AM »
I just thought I'd chime in with a link to my Mod VGA GC Cable Review!  I would personally trust something like this over a signal converter, which is more likely to cost more and/or degrade the signal.

I'm interested to read about your experience with that more economical converter, though, aoi.  If it does its job well, it WOULD be a better solution with the pass-through feature and all.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Fox5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 06:48:40 PM »
Wave Race Blue Storm does support progressive scan.....make sure your cables are all the way in, hold b on bootup, and repeatedly mash the a button till you get a picture.(if I recall correctly, wave race has a memcard thing at the start, which takes up a lot of time...you may have to create a memcard file before it prompts you for pscan, do it on a tv first and then hook it up to the vga cable)

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
Got my Xblaster. Games look great on monitor, though some are a bit too sharp (cel-shaded).

Games played so far:

MGS:TT
Waverace: BS
SMS
Naruto 2
Viewtiful Joe
Smash Bros. Melee

Further impressions with pictures tonight (hopefully).
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."