Author Topic: Future Mafia Games  (Read 420073 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Future Mafia Games
« Reply #750 on: October 16, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
Alright. Jurassic Park Mafia sign-ups are in the funhouse. Since that was an idea with a lot of support, let's see if that gets another game going. Making this post in case people aren't checking the funhouse regularly. And shame on you if you aren't. But you can make up for it by signing up for this game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 09, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
So do we want to talk about the next game? Playing has only whetted my appetite.

I expect to have a fair amount of free time in December because my wife will be out of the country for most of the time. So I would be interested in attempting to host a game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 09, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »
So do we want to talk about the next game? Playing has only whetted my appetite.

I expect to have a fair amount of free time in December because my wife will be out of the country for most of the time. So I would be interested in attempting to host a game.

Host a game....
you should be preparing to HOST A PARTY!!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Maybe that could be the theme of the game ;)

Sadly all of my friends are married and have kids now. My last single friend just got engaged and we don't get to see each other that often.

Maybe a 'Party Gone Wrong' horror theme? It could be a cheesy slasher parody.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 09, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
Mansion Murder Mystery

Mans wife leaves town, he throws a party at their Luxurious suburban mansion home. Drinks are flowing, music is bumping, and everyone is having a grand ole time.... until someone ends up dead.
Mansion security is activated and no one is allowed to leave until either the killer is found, or the killer(s) is the only guest left alive.

Has it been done? If not, then you are welcome.

p.s. the killer is the man's wife, she never actually left town, she implanted guest at the party to help her execute her plan, and it could be anyone, so you don't know who to trust.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:35:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 09, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
Hasn't been done. Closest sort of idea was one where the players where guests trapped in a hotel and had to solve the murders that were going on it. Sounds to me like someone is ready to come out of retirement and host a game though.......

To Stratos: There is no one slated to host another game after the JP mafia. If you want to try throwing one, by all means, you are welcome to. This is the thread to claim it in so if you want to do it, say so and it is yours.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 09, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
Then my name is thrown in the ring. With my new job I have the luxury of being able to check up on messages/posts from time-to time so long as I keep up in my work, which isn't hard. So I'd like to try and become a regular host again.

Mansion Murder Mystery Mafia (M4) will start signups as soon as the current game ends. We could shoot to start around the 2nd or the 9th of December.

I like BnM's setting. Will get some unique roles out of it I am sure.
My Game Collection

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #757 on: November 10, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
Could we have a halo themed mafia game(Master Chief as the dective, Covenate as mafia, Marines as Townies and the flood as the murderers) or a metriod one?
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 11, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
Has there ever been a mafia with a dirty cop or at least someone who could be swayed to one side?

Has there ever been a mafia where a role could take hostages?

Has there ever been a mafia where roles could stack, swap or be split?

Has there ever been a mafia with property?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 11, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
Has there ever been a mafia with a dirty cop or at least someone who could be swayed to one side?

Has there ever been a mafia where a role could take hostages?

Has there ever been a mafia where roles could stack, swap or be split?

Has there ever been a mafia with property?

Monopia?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 11, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
haha I guess so.

I was thinking about players moving from a set of properties; hospital, police station, gun warehouse, jail...etc.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
At some point soon i really need to complete the trilogy and do Super Mario Kart Mafia.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 12, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Your last Mario Kart game was certainly crazy fun.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
I'm afraid of inactivity, which was really low this game, me included.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 16, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
I've got an idea for a mechanic that could promote activity: Post Count Matters

The person with the lowest number of posts in a thread gets an extra vote against them.
Or
The person with the most posts gets to be the investigator.
Or both. Or make any role be determined by post count. The idea would be to punish people for not posting or rewarding them for a good level of activity.

Of course make a rule where you cannot double post. Keep it from becoming spam post fest.

In the theme of my upcoming game; post count = shot count. The drunkest player is so plastered that they sleep with (investigate) another player.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:20 AM »
That's actually a really neat idea. Opening up abilities based on participation. I like that the mafia could theoretically win the ability investigate thereby making it something a lot of people should be after.

Only downside I can see is that you could have 3 people do an investigation and they could all investigate the same person in that time. At least with one person doing the investigations, they are able to make better choices and grow more powerful with knowledge as the game goes on.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
That sounds like a player-game-dynamic-challenge versus a borked feature. I'm sure a skilled player can deduce who was most likely searched. ;)

Or, since it is obvious who got the most 'plastered' the night before, the player could theoretically share the information in the next-day thread (kiss and tell) without sure fear of retribution since the skill goes to different players each night. That would give a guide of sorts for other townies to know who has already been investigated...though the person could be lying.

And as an added protection against spam voting, not only are double posts not counted, but three in a day and the person gets 'alcohol poisoning'; they are rushed to the hospital to get their stomach pumped and they cannot get investigations or use any power that day or night. So the godfather could theoretically get poisoning and not be able to issue a hit that night. Though a poisoned person can still be killed as there is nothing stopping the mafia from sneaking into the hospital to kill them.

In terms of group dynamic, this would probably turn out similar to the executioner mafia played a while back where people voted for who got to use the killer's power that night.

I could always allow a second, dedicated investigator if there is concern of this crippling the townies.
My Game Collection

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #767 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
Hmmm...I think what might be good is that you can't be the investigator twice in a row....that the role must be passed.  OR, a potentially better idea would be that it goes to the random 1-3 players with the top vote and public post record.

Another potential problem is when does the person become the investigator.  At a certain point in the day.  Or they are the investigator for the next day?  Timing becomes critical because if it is next day.  Then the mafia could just hit the person who is most likely to become the investigator.  If it is during that day.  What happens if they do not log on to see it.

If it is between 1-3 characters, it becomes more random and hard for the mafia to strike against potential investigators.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: November 30, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »
I would let it be a night action for that night. Perhaps let it be a double award and they are also granted protection for the night from the mafia.

That is the biggest dilemma: the risk of being hit instantly by the mafia.

Please feel free to give me feedback on the roles so far for my upcoming game.
My Game Collection

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
With 11 players happening I think there may be too many roles.

I like the mafia having additional roles, and the vote changer is a great role...and the Role preventer is an interesting power as well, because it gives the mafia a chance to cancel the Santa.

However, I think Santa should be limited to how many roles he can give out.  It is OK to give him the chance to give out different roles, but perhaps limited to 2 a night or 1 a night.  Also, I would consider giving the vote changing role not to the mafia, but to Santa to give out.  With Santa giving roles out and not knowing who players are...the mafia has a high chance of stealing roles for themselves, which means they don't need as many roles themselves for the game.

So I think limiting the roles Santa can give out to 2 roles, and then giving him the option to give 2 of 4 powers out, investigator, Doctor, Vote Changer, Vigilante could be interesting.  The Role Canceling power is Mafia's counter power. 

Then if enough players sign up give us a Killer abominable snowman role, that plays like the T-Rex.  That would seem to add the most balance to the game. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 01, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »
I'm liking that idea of also giving the vote change role to Santa. I'm also willing to restrict the number of roles Santa can give out in a night. I was hoping for a bigger turnout or I would have made more roles number restricted. Right now I am thinking 3 mafia will suffice.

Santa will give out two roles a night unless we get 13 or more players. I'll also up the mafia to 4 at that point. 15+ and we can have the killer role as well I suppose.
My Game Collection

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
I'm up for joining in. I think I need to familiarise myself with the rules, however. Having never played one of these games I'm not immediately clear on the concept of 'roles' and what they grant those participating. I'll have to brush up on that.
Gouge away.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 07, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Great! Welcome aboard!

This thread is the sign-up thread: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=43162.0.

If you are looking for the rules, try either the Jurassic Park Mafia sign-up thread here in this forum or click on the Mafia Hall of Fame and take a look at the sign-up thread for Game 1 linked in the first post. That should give you an idea of the rules and how things work. Plus, the host or other players will always be able to help answer any other questions you might have.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 07, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
I will post an official 'rules and roles' thread come tomorrow (or Monday if something comes up at work). That will make 14 for the game. Very nice.
My Game Collection

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #774 on: December 11, 2013, 12:47:04 AM »
Nothing official, but I could do a game late January. 

I have a vacation then, and it could be fun to organize a good game.  I would have to come up with a decent them.  The holiday game is using one of my ideas I had. 

Anyway, I am not sure what to do yet...and even if I can host a mafia game with my schedule.