Author Topic: Writers strike is on  (Read 14339 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Writers strike is on
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 06:49:08 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
many of Hollywood's movies could be ground to a halt with no writers to polish or write scripts.

I friggin hope so.  Fred Clause and Meet the Spartans?  May it bankrupt the movie industry.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »
when transformers came out i said to myself I should write the GI Joe script.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE: Writers strike is on
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »
Now is your chance. Make it happen.
But be sure to submit your preview copy to us for review.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:56 AM »
If the people who wrote this are involved in the strike the strike has no credibility.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
Just thought I'd update this with a bit more information on writers pay, from a site for potential writers of sitcoms. The writer's guild average is around 17k per episode
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chile Boy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »

i dont really watch tv very much since i got my Wii .....The japanese are still making anime so ill just watch that stuff forever till better shows come on...MEANING  NEVER
I just randomly hit the keyboard until whatever it was died.-TMW

Wii #:3205-9672-1158-1037
WII SPORTS TENNIS PRO!!!!!!!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »
I hope Dexter doesn't get cancelled or something, it's my favourite running series of the moment.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I hope Dexter doesn't get cancelled or something, it's my favorite running series of the moment.

Definitely, that is a great show, with some of the best writing on TV. Hopefully by next season (if it gets a next season) this strike will have been resolved.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »
Supernatural is absolutely fantastic

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Caliban
I hope Dexter doesn't get cancelled or something, it's my favorite running series of the moment.

Definitely, that is a great show, with some of the best writing on TV. Hopefully by next season (if it gets a next season) this strike will have been resolved.

Surprisingly, Dexter is based off of a book. Book 1 is season one, according to Peer Schneider (IGN) the book was alot more graphic about Dexter's kills. Book 2 is season 2. So if whoever is writing these books decides to release Book 3 then we will certainly get a season 3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »
Since no one ever updated this thread with details of what is actually going on with this Writers Guild of America Strike, here are a few links and quotes.

What is the WGA striking for?

Tonight, the WGA's new Communications Committee blog clarifies where the guild stands on the issues:

''What's the biggest issue? Internet and New Media

What are we asking for in Internet and New Media? Two things:

1. Residuals for reuse of content (like replaying tv shows) on the internet. We're asking for residuals of 2.5% of revenue -- that means for every dollar they get paid, we'd get 2 and a half cents. It's a flat percentage, so if they're right and they're never ever going to make a penny, well then, we won't either. No harm, no foul. Since 2.5% is our starting point, in any normal negotiation we'd end up somewhere between what they want to pay (.3%) and what we're asking for (2.5%). I'd guess 1 to 1.5 %.

2. Coverage and protections for original content (new stuff we create for the internet.) We're asking for basic protections so that when we write original stuff for the internet, we have rights -- health and pension, minimum amounts, credits and separated rights (so if we make some amazing character or show, we get the right to share in its success.) We're just asking for the same protections we already have for writing in TV or film. Nothing new or weird. Just the basics.

What are the other issues? DVDs: Currently we get .3% per dvd, we're asking for .6%. Translation: now we get 4 cents per dvd. We are asking for 8 cents per dvd. Since most DVD's cost at least 10 bucks, that doesn't exactly seem like a bank-breaker. Whatever.

Enforcement of Coverage: There are lots of shows, like game shows, documentaries and talk shows, where writing is supposed to be covered under our contract. The companies sometimes just ignore the contract -- which means folks don't get health and pension, and if they ask for it, they get fired. We want them to stop that, and honor the contract they signed.

Expansion of Coverage: We want to cover stuff where writers are working without coverage, which means without health and pension and other protections. The two big areas are animation and reality. We think those writers should be covered.

It doesn't seem like what they are asking for is unreasonable at all, and it is only cents on a dollar plus already promised benefits.

Writers Strike Approved - IGN

November 2, 2007 - Update: The Writers Guild of America held a press conference Friday, and officially set Monday morning at 12:00 am PT as the beginning of the strike. They have stated that they are open to negotiations over the weekend as long as the companies will stop insisting DVD residuals cannot be increased. Variety quotes WGA negotiating committee chairman John Bowman as saying "We don't want to strike. What we really want to do is negotiate."

What LA Times has to say on the matter

...The Daily Show & The Colbert Report will be affected...

Variety's input on the Strike

...The Tonight Show, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, SNL and other Late Nite television to all take damages...

Shows affected by the strike - www.WGA.org

A quick summary with some details of completion:

Canceled Shows: Heroes: Origins has been canceled, and while it may come back if the strike is resolved quickly, it's halted all production in the meantime.

Suspended Shows (will air reruns for an indefinite time): The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, all late night talk shows (Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, Ferguson, Daly) as well as any shows produced within a small window of time (South Park could be affected). Live shows such as SNL will also be suspended.

Shows that have an uncertain future: Here's a list of where taped shows stand at the moment (all from IGN/LA Times):

Entourage, Big Love: Summer of 08, will likely be pushed back later if the strike continues.
Lost: Has 8 of 16 episodes ready to run.
Scrubs: Expected to complete 12 of 18 episodes.
Jericho: All shows ready, no season delay expected.
Friday Night Lights: 15 of 22 episodes ready.
Battlestar Galactica: "10 hours" worth of material ready, with a two hour movie finished.
Men in Trees: 19 of 27 completed.
Everybody Hates Chris: All eps completed.
October Road: 13 shows written.
The Simpsons: 22 shows complete, though the crew cautions that rewrites are usually inevitable so the future is uncertain in the meantime.
Prison Break: 13 episodes written, can do a season finale prematurely if need be.
Damages: Has not yet been picked up by FX; strike will not allow FX to go into preproduction and the show will be in limbo, much like Heroes: Origins.
Monk, Psych: Half of each season ready for shooting.
Nip/Tuck: have enough shows to last into February; last eight will be determined later.
The Shield: Season has been written.
The Wire: Episodes are complete, full season to air as expected.
Law and Order: CI: 10 of 22 episodes finished.
Cane: All eps completed.
24: Huge production issues with only eight eps completed, and several rewrites in order. It could be pushed back into later 2008.
The Office: unknown at this time.

Unaffected Shows: Reality-based programs like Great American Band and Bachelor, gameshows like The Singing Bee and Deal or no Deal, and all news shows. Shows based on others shows (The Soup) will likely be even more hilarious. Shows that didn't seem to have any writers to begin with (Cavemen) will likely continue. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

At least The Shield shall finish uninterrupted      

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Suspended Shows (will air reruns for an indefinite time): The Colbert Report, The Daily Show....

NOOO!!!! Well, I was kind of expecting it, at least, as Jon mentioned the strike on the last show just before the end of the episode, and it did sound like they would be taking a break. Still a shame...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:49 AM »
Just so you all know negotiations were in progress when 12:01 am hit on the east coast (9:01 PST) and all the writers on the East Coast put their pencils down and went on strike. The WGA refused to postpone the strike atlest until negotiations where either met or denied at the request of the [the other side] and therefore halted all negotiation and forced the strike which will now affect all of our favorite shows.

Unless you watch The Wire, The Shield and Everybody Hates Chris.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 04:46:40 AM »
That kind of sucks. However, the writers aren't asking for much at all, so I say just give it to them, so they can get back to work.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 05:26:08 AM »

The Office: unknown at this time.

Hell no, this show better not get dumped. I will have to smack some people around. This and South Park are the only shows I watch on TV, I will be seriously pissed if it doesn't continue.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »
The good thing is that Jericho has a HUGE advantage now with the strike.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »
I like to call this one "Why Jon Stewart is the MAN!!!"

In a show of solidarity with his fellow scribes, the Daily Show host has told his writing staff that he will cover all their salaries for the next two weeks, according to a well-placed source. He has also vowed to do the same for writers on The Colbert Report. A Comedy Central spokesman referred my inquiry about this to Stewart's personal publicist, who has yet to respond.

Stewart's intention, says the source, is to ensure his writers will face no financial hardship should the strike, which kicked off at 3 a.m. local time, conclude within that time frame.

Read more news about Jon Stewart and the WGA Writers' Strike, as well as the Huffington Post's regularly updated Writers' Strike Opinion page.

Something tells me that he knows a way to write it all off come tax time  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 11:29:43 AM »
I was so angry when Jericho was dropped from Aus TV without warning or reason

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I like to call this one "Why Jon Stewart is the MAN!!!"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/1...r_n_71164.html[/l]"[/L]

Link is broken... but oh man that is awesome news! I'm amazed that he is doing it for both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, but I couldn't be happier all the same!
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
I'm amazed that he is doing it for both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, but I couldn't be happier all the same!

The Colbert Report is a spin-off from the Daily Show - it was started by Colbert and Stewart because they wanted to do something more satirical (and make the Colbert character the focus of a show).

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »
I'm sure Arbok knows that.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
I'm sure Arbok knows that.

Yep, hell I have been watching the Daily Show since Craig Kilborn was the host. I'm just amazed that Jon is going to cover the salaries of that many writers, even if it is for "just" two weeks.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
There were talks of Battlestar's final season getting cut into two anyways, so maybe not such a big deal there. LOST getting cut short would be a travesty. This upcoming season is an absolutely crucial one. It'd be too bad if it didn't see it's full life. And if Scrubs gets cut short... I'll cry.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
link above is fixed.

There was also an update that has Jon Stewart's Rep denying everything about paying salaries, but does mention contingency plans of keeping the show alive w/o any written material.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
House is so formulatic that they could probably run another season without writers.
pietriots.com
Calenture