Author Topic: I need to be educated.  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Putzio

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I need to be educated.
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »
I need to be educated on game marketing. I play games but have virtually no understanding of the whys and hows of their marketing.

So here are my questions. 1:Why are some but not all 3DS retail games offered on the e-shop?

2: Is it likely that games such as RE Revelations and MG Solid Snake eater will eventually be offered on e-shop?

And my last question is this. Is the possible reason for the lack of information regarding the CPP XL NA release, Be because it could be getting bundled with Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information y'all can give.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:14:59 AM by Putzio »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: I need to be educated.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
One of the biggest reasons only some 3DS games are on the eShop is that Nintendo only just started putting retail games on there. We may see older third party games come on there like we're seeing with some of Nintendo's own older titles, but that's going to depend on the deals Nintendo can make with third party publishers. I think the extent to which we will see this happen depends on how well the new games that come to the service do in terms of sales. The better those games do, the more likely we are to see more games available that way, both new and old.

As for the CPP XL, I doubt they will bundle it with Monster Hunter, because it would be useless for people who own the original model 3DS instead of the XL.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Putzio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
What are the possible disadvantages to publishers of a digital version being released at same time as the cartridge version?

I promise not to turn this thread into 20 questions :D   I am just attempting to have a good basic understanding.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
It's fine to ask questions; that's kind of why these forums are here. I don't necessarily think there are disadvantages to launching the digital version at the same time as the retail release, and I would think most of the retail games that come to the eShop will release that way. From what we're hearing, Nintendo is offering really good terms to third parties for the digital releases, so I think going forward most major third party releases will be available digitally. It's just starting out slowly because Nintendo's just starting to release games this way, and they have a tendency to be a very conservative and cautious company.

J.P. Corbran

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
Until Nintendo offers retail games at a discount cost digitally, there really is no good reason to buy them digitally.

But I wouldn't expect to see all games offered digitally for 3DS or Wii U for awhile, because Nintendo is slow with this type of thing.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »
No good reason? I can think of good reasons (to justify it), like if u dont plan to ever sell the game (I don't sell my games), always having it on the system to play, having less clutter in your room, etc. Also, most of the time PS3 and 360 games are the same price online as at retail.

And ALL Wii or 3DS games digitally? Sony and Microsoft don't do that either. So it's not like Nintendo would be behind the times.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »
All Vita games are available digitally. Sony requires it. I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same with the PS4.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
Until Nintendo offers retail games at a discount cost digitally, there really is no good reason to buy them digitally.

But I wouldn't expect to see all games offered digitally for 3DS or Wii U for awhile, because Nintendo is slow with this type of thing.

Um didn't Nintendo already declare that every Nintendo published title from now on will be available digital on release day? I believe this extends to Wii U as well. People love to cultivate the "Nintendo is behind the times" cliche I guess.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
All Vita games are available digitally. Sony requires it. I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same with the PS4.

And you notice the barren wasteland of Vita games? Publishers hate being required to do anything.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »

And you notice the barren wasteland of Vita games? Publishers hate being required to do anything.

That's because of poor console sales. The Vita is a sinking ship. It's doing worse than the PSP.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
I wasn't trying to imply that Sony's policy of forcing publishers to release digital versions of games was the main or only cause of PSV bombing and developers abandoning it, but it didn't help and it was likely a contributing factor.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »

Seems like it'd be kinda hard if the file sizes get too big.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »

Seems like it'd be kinda hard if the file sizes get too big.

Good thing Nintendo isn't forcing that on 3rd-party publishers. They're giving publishers the freedom to make their own distribution decisions.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:27 AM »

That's because of poor console sales. The Vita is a sinking ship. It's doing worse than the PSP.

We are beyond that im seeing comparisons to the dreamcast sales during its lifespan(this was b4 liberation anf BO:D)

Offline Ozz236

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
I would say that the main reason why only some games are available on the eshop is because Nintendo needs to have an agreement with the publisher/content creator to distribute digitally. Remember back when Sony was going to allow people to transfer all their physical psp games to digital? That feel through because legally they couldn't do it for all the games they didn't own.

There are probably other factors too, but usually it all has to do with money.
3DS Friend Code: 3222-5910-4302