Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592824 times)

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4100 on: September 13, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
I was nicely surprised about Nintendo TVii .  The general idea of being able to use a single app, to search/launch videos from multiple services is really nice.  I actually didn't expect this from Nintendo.   Along with the included links it seemed to have to imdb and wikipedia.  It could make for some really nice movie watching.

For some reason I have also enjoyed searching twitter for Bayonetta 2.  I'm just stunned at the amount of people who are angered by it being on Wii U.   Chances are if Nintendo wasn't publishing it this game wouldn't even be around at this point.  All the rumors before hand were pointing to it being canned.

Maybe I just like reading those responses to feed some kinda inner internet troll I didn't know I had though.  As they did kinda tickle me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
Being able to watch a trailer for something on the Gamepad, while watching something else on the TV is pretty awesome. Wii U has to have at least some DECENT specs to do stuff like that.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: September 13, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
I'm not remotely bothered by the lack of DVD/Blu Ray support. I'm firmly in the camp of wanting to physically own my video games, but with movies I could care less. I don't own a single blu ray movie. I like that the Wii U has, not only, more video watching options, but that it looks clean as well. I don't currently use any of my consoles to watch videos on because I don't have Xbox Live and wii doesn't get Amazon Prime videos, so maybe I would use it more. Doubtful, but it is nice that it is there, and doubly nice that it looks good.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: September 13, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
I was in the "wait a while" camp before, but with a recent job promotion and seeing the kind of functionality the Wii U is planned to have, I think i've convinced myself to get a deluxe package on launch.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
Looks to be a good follow upto the wii.

Going to try to get it around launch hopefully. At the current rate the games and features like tvii could replace the xbox as my main media box. Already have netflix and thinking about hulu. Could grab my season passes on amazon video and be set.

Guessing there will be another event next month detailing the online and OS stuff.

Hmm read an intreasting post about the Wii u becoming a haven to teams and companies like (Falcom, THQ, Platnium games, Level-5) who probably won't be able to afford the ps4/720 route.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
I'm excited for TVii as well.  I do worry about how many providers will allow integration into it though.  I saw college football and ABC was listed (obviously sponsored).  But there was nothing about Comcast or Directv or Dish or Warner Cable anywhere.  It had a button for live tv.  Will we be able to use this as a settop box for our cable/dish if we have it?

I did really like the universal search though.  That is something nobody else has as far as I know (I'm sure there's a freeware app somewhere that does this).  Being able to search all services without having to go into each individual one will be major and makes it the easiest system to use I think.  I'm close to buying this at launch now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
Pachter has something to say, surprising to say the least.

From Twiiter - Michael Pachter
The Wii U software lineup was better than I expected, third party support pretty solid, and Nintendo titles high quality.
https://twitter.com/michaelpachter

Can't stand his flip flopping butt.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: September 13, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
He did say it was better than he expected.  Which is as close as he's ever come to admitting he was wrong.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: September 13, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
I'm excited for TVii as well.  I do worry about how many providers will allow integration into it though.  I saw college football and ABC was listed (obviously sponsored).  But there was nothing about Comcast or Directv or Dish or Warner Cable anywhere.  It had a button for live tv.  Will we be able to use this as a settop box for our cable/dish if we have it?

I wonder how much of the TVii functionality will be available for people (like me) who chose not to get cable because of the availability of content on the web.  I would love to be able to watch college football games on there without having to have cable.  Seriously, I am SO tired of having to go to a sports bar to watch Virginia Tech games if they aren't on network tv/ESPN3.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: September 13, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
Got a tweet from Amazon.  It states that BlOps II for Wii U will be available on 11/13/12.  Here's the link for those who want to order it there.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: September 13, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

I wonder how much of the TVii functionality will be available for people (like me) who chose not to get cable because of the availability of content on the web.  I would love to be able to watch college football games on there without having to have cable.  Seriously, I am SO tired of having to go to a sports bar to watch Virginia Tech games if they aren't on network tv/ESPN3.
They were showing college football on the gamepad so maybe Nintendo made a deal with the NCAA or something.

Offline Disco Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: September 13, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »

They were showing college football on the gamepad so maybe Nintendo made a deal with the NCAA or something.

I would be very surprised if that was the case.  Wouldn't it mean also making deals the other companies that bought the rights to air them on television?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: September 13, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
Day one. The launch lineup is phenominal, the price is reasonable, and the TVii functions look intriguing. I'm sold, take all my money Nintendo!
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: September 13, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Agreed Tendoboy. Now has Chozo, Ian, or Broodwars said anything yet?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4114 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
Is Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited new?
An HD version of 3G was released for the PS3 last year in Japan only and Iwata called the game MH3G HD Version.  So this will be the only HD console version getting released in the US.

That was a unrelated game not related to Tri, this will be the first HD version
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: September 13, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
You think Amazon will get Wii U consoles for preorder? They seem to have been on the outs with nintendo for a while. The DSi XL and the 3DS are way above MSRP on Amazon. It's unfortunate because I'd much rather deal with Amazon than go through a brick and mortar store.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: September 13, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
Is Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited new?
An HD version of 3G was released for the PS3 last year in Japan only and Iwata called the game MH3G HD Version.  So this will be the only HD console version getting released in the US.

That was a unrelated game not related to Tri, this will be the first HD version
Never said anything about Tri.  This is a port of the PS3 version which was an HD port of MH3G for the PSP.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
I really hope GameStop and Best Buy have good trade-in deals. I might trade in my Wii and PS3, along with all 17 of my games. I should get about $250 total for it all.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: September 13, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
SO I see a nintendo network logo on the Nintendoland box. I know it will have miiverse and maybe an online thempark mode. But has their any info on the games themselves will be online capable.  Would love to play metroid blast online.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: September 13, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
So many questions still left unanswered. Nintendo didn't really go into any detail about Nintendo Network or the Home Menu. I wonder if there will be another Nintendo Direct that showcases those features...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »
Probably one in the midddle or late October.

Patcher is also saying it could sell out which I could forsee happening.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: September 13, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
$250 - $300 really is the sweet spot, since a majority of the best-selling consoles launched around that price.

I see a good future for the Wii U, IF Nintendo keeps their 3rd-party support, and adds more apps and features to keep non-gamers coming back.

Offline Disco Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
You think Amazon will get Wii U consoles for preorder? They seem to have been on the outs with nintendo for a while. The DSi XL and the 3DS are way above MSRP on Amazon. It's unfortunate because I'd much rather deal with Amazon than go through a brick and mortar store.

Yeah, I'd really like to know as well.  I have a crapload of Amazon giftcard money saved up just itching to be spent on preordering a Wii U.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #4123 on: September 13, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »
As I am someone who almost never watches TV (I don't even pay the $2 or whatever Verizon wants for me to have a cable box on my TV) nor someone who pays for Netflix or similar services, this whole Nintendo TVii really doesn't offer much for me.

The price is $50 higher than I hoped for.

And they haven't come out and said it, but the game I really want, Pikmin 3, probably won't be here until next year some time.

Overall, I'm a little bit less excited than before.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
Patcher is also saying it could sell out which I could forsee happening.

That's no big deal.  Don't pretty much all new consoles sell out at launch?  Or is he talking about Wii like demand where the thing was a challenge to find in stores for two years?  I can easily see the Wii U having some period after launch where one has to wait for stores to restock.  Unless Nintendo has an incredibly large initial amount made it would probably be a bad sign if it didn't sell out.