Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592712 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4025 on: September 10, 2012, 06:49:32 PM »
I am contemplating going all digital once I get my Wii U later in the year. Depending on the size of each game and how long it will take to download each one will factor into my decision. I do not want a clunky HDD to store my games, but something like a SSD would provide too small of storage for the price they are going for at the moment. I would prefer a high capacity SD card. Something in the 128 GB range to store the games. What does everyone else think?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4026 on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
I think you won't have very many games then. Unless you want a ton of SD cards lying around, that is.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: September 10, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »
I think you won't have very many games then. Unless you want a ton of SD cards lying around, that is.

How big are these games in terms of GBs? Most of them are probably still in the 8GB to 16GB range, right? I guess GTA V would be in the range of 30 to 50GBs, but the others would be smaller.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: September 10, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
I wouldn't go all digital in a million years.  I only buy digital now when no other option is available.  I want physical media as it gives me control.  I could save everything on a hard drive but what if it fails?  So all my games are gone like that?  And before you say "Nintendo would let me re-download them", no, Nintendo will not let re-download them 20 years from now.  I'm looking long term, like how my copy of Super Mario World still works.  I don't need any service from Nintendo to run it that they could discontinue at some point.

Right now the only way for me to lose a large chunk of my games is if my house caught fire.  Depending on hard drives or SD cards (unless I buy one per game, but that seems ridiculously expensive) or on some service from Nintendo increases the risk of me losing my games some day.

There is a lot of convenience in just downloading the game.  I get that.  It all depends on your priorities.  And I have noticed it's typically us older farts that value physical copies because thoughout most of our lives we knew of nothing but.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: September 10, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
I wouldn't go all digital in a million years.  I only buy digital now when no other option is available.  I want physical media as it gives me control.  I could save everything on a hard drive but what if it fails?  So all my games are gone like that?  And before you say "Nintendo would let me re-download them", no, Nintendo will not let re-download them 20 years from now.  I'm looking long term, like how my copy of Super Mario World still works.  I don't need any service from Nintendo to run it that they could discontinue at some point.

Right now the only way for me to lose a large chunk of my games is if my house caught fire.  Depending on hard drives or SD cards (unless I buy one per game, but that seems ridiculously expensive) or on some service from Nintendo increases the risk of me losing my games some day.

There is a lot of convenience in just downloading the game.  I get that.  It all depends on your priorities.  And I have noticed it's typically us older farts that value physical copies because thoughout most of our lives we knew of nothing but.

I am really paranoid of thieves and the fact that a large physical library becomes cumbersome after it gets so large.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4030 on: September 10, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »

How big are these games in terms of GBs? Most of them are probably still in the 8GB to 16GB range, right? I guess GTA V would be in the range of 30 to 50GBs, but the others would be smaller.

8-16 when uncompressed. The majority of third party games can fit on a 8GB Xbox 360 disc. No way will Grand Theft Auto V be 30GB.

Kytim, you are worried about thieves, so you plan to make all of your games available on something they can put in their pocket? Are you planning to have the SD card on you 24/7? As for a physical library, you could get one of those CD cases that let you store like 50 discs in something the size of trapper keeper.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4031 on: September 10, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »

I am really paranoid of thieves and the fact that a large physical library becomes cumbersome after it gets so large.
But what if someone steals your console and associated HD with all of your games?
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »

But what if someone steals your console and associated HD with all of your games?

Isn't Nintendo working on some user account? I could simply shut down the account on the stolen Wii U and reactivate it on the new system.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4033 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
You would lose all your game saves though, and the thief would still be able to play the games (though that part doesn't matter).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: September 10, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
You would lose all your game saves though, and the thief would still be able to play the games (though that part doesn't matter).
Cloud saves FTW.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: September 10, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »
Sure wish Nintendo consoles had cloud saves... Even the PS3 has a paltry 150 MB of cloud storage (which is pathetic, by the way).

Isn't Microsoft supposed to be bringing cloud saves to the Xbox 360? If so, hopefully they use SkyDrive.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4036 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
Sure wish Nintendo consoles had cloud saves... Even the PS3 has a paltry 150 MB of cloud storage (which is pathetic, by the way).

Isn't Microsoft supposed to be bringing cloud saves to the Xbox 360? If so, hopefully they use SkyDrive.

Xbox 360 has had cloud saving since the December 2011 system update, though you have to be a Xbox Live Gold member.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »

Xbox 360 has had cloud saving since the December 2011 system update, though you have to be a Xbox Live Gold member.

How much space does Microsoft give you for cloud saving? Hopefully it's better than 150 MB.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4038 on: September 10, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
It offers 512MB.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:26 PM »
It offers 512MB.

Not bad, but quite a few games have bigger save files than that. Is Microsoft going to increase it to (at least) 4 GB? Cause that would be more beneficial for people who own a bunch of games.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: September 10, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »
It offers 512MB.

Not bad, but quite a few games have bigger save files than that. Is Microsoft going to increase it to (at least) 4 GB? Cause that would be more beneficial for people who own a bunch of games.

How could a save file be more than 512MBs?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4041 on: September 10, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
The majority of games are less than 1MB for a gamesave and some a few megabytes. I don't think there are any bigger than 512.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »
Would a 128GB SD card be enough to hold all of those games I listed?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
I dunno, man. It really depends on the games in specific. Judging from 3DS experience, I'm not gonna have to change to an 8gb flash card in the near future but it will happen at some point.

I know that's totally not helpful in any way.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: September 10, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »
Could never go all digital. I like to feel like I really own the games I purchase. That means I have to have a physical copy and it has to be independent of the system it's played on. It's part of why I rarely by PC games now since they are either attached to Steam or UPlay or Origin even if you have a physical retail copy.  That's not to say I'm against digital games at all. If I have the option I'll always go physical though.

In other news I'm really starting to warm up to what I'm seeing with Nintendo Land. However I really hope it's a pack in or at least is made available as a download code (would rather have a disc as said above but take what you can get).  I just don't see myself (refuse to a degree) paying $60, $50, or even $40 unless it's something  absolutely mind blowing and there is no reasonable way it's doing to be. If they push it for $30 I might consider it but at that point might as well bundle it. I still think they will though, at least with the white version of the system if both black and white are offered.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:20:14 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: September 10, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »
As we inch closer to the next Nintendo Direct what are the chances of more third party games being revealed for the Wii U? I am not saying as launch titles, but games that would carry over through 2013. My biggest anticipation is that Resident Evil 6 will be announced as a Wii U launc title.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: September 11, 2012, 01:09:40 AM »
I mean, I own New Super Mario Bros. 2, because it's on my flash card. Sure, it's on a flash card, but that's the physical portion of that game, to me.

It gets all the more awesome once I have several full-title games on there. :D
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
Europe is getting a Nintendo Direct this week!

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/33401/Shibata+define+Wii+U+para+Espa%F1a/

Nintendo Direct 13th 4PM for Euro people, Nintendo just confirmed. Wii U will be out at the end of the year.

Just waiting on a Japan Nintendo Direct now.

EDIT: Looks like the article is down. Did the Ninjas get to them?

I'm sure we'll get direct confirmation from NOE later today.

EDIT 2:

Update from NeoGAF:

Not a mistake

Nintendo Spain fucked it with the first email, they forgot to write about embargoes and ****. Two minutes later I got a message with the embargo thingy, until 4pm here in Spain.

So maybe they just took down the page after the second email.

So confirmation later today, hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:49:24 AM by Anth0ny »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: September 11, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »
Might just be pre-event hype but I'm honestly looking forward to wii U. Was going to get a win8 tab instead but I can wait and just use my laptop. Can wait for a tablet during may. (Which was when I was going to wait for a wii U) so I can see all the kinks that are in the first gen hardware are done look at the 2nd gen hardware.

Also am I the only one who is kind of sad blast metroid might not have a mode where we play without that stupid ship and its just power suit vs power suit. 

Also hoping my gameinformer comes today.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
Europe is getting a Nintendo Direct this week!

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/33401/Shibata+define+Wii+U+para+Espa%F1a/

Nintendo Direct 13th 4PM for Euro people, Nintendo just confirmed. Wii U will be out at the end of the year.

Just waiting on a Japan Nintendo Direct now.

EDIT: Looks like the article is down. Did the Ninjas get to them?

I'm sure we'll get direct confirmation from NOE later today.

EDIT 2:

Update from NeoGAF:

Not a mistake

Nintendo Spain fucked it with the first email, they forgot to write about embargoes and ****. Two minutes later I got a message with the embargo thingy, until 4pm here in Spain.

So maybe they just took down the page after the second email.

So confirmation later today, hopefully.

Shibata just tweeted confirmation.

Also it's up on Nintendo UK's Nintendo Direct Page [size=78%]http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/nintendo_direct_47764.html[/size]
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle