Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3164716 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wii U Dash Board and Sakurai Tweet
« Reply #7650 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
Ok a rumor that isn't anything to get excited about. A trusted source on them Neogaf forums, IdeaMan, say's the real dash board to the Wii U is available to developers today. Up until now it was a place holder.

It's a continuation of the Wii dash board with some 3DS like updates. Doesn't sound too exciting to me, but here is the link. Maybe we will get to see it tomorrow. I think we already knew it was going to be like the Wii's channel system but it doesn't sound exciting at all. I could be wrong though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42041244&postcount=8958

Ok one more thing. I shouldn't bring this up but I will.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai

Sakurai of Smash Bros fame as retweeted Nintendo's Nintendo Direct tweet. Last time he retweeted a Nintendo Direct, the announcement came that they were collaborating with Namco-Bandai.

Please don't expect Smash tomorrow, we know it's being made as I type, just don't expect it tomorrow. I just thought I'd mention it...

CHOO CHOO!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:54:24 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7651 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Caterkiller, you cock-tease!
You're the one holding bananas!
LOL. I'd +1 you if I could.  ;D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: September 14, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
I'd actually prefer if Nintendo's pack-in hurt the sales of other mini-game comps.  We all know Nintendo's will be good and everyone else's will be ****.  Mini-game shovelware is what gave the Wii its casual image.  I don't want such titles to succeed.  It would be far better if things start off with shovelware selling poorly so as to discourage devs from making it.

That sounds good in theory, but remember shovelware is cheap to produce so even if it sells poorly I don't think it would do much to discourage more from being developed.
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: September 14, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
Shovelware are like the games Atari were releasing before the market crashed. They are probably developed in 3 weeks with not even a shoestring budget.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
Shovelware are like the games Atari were releasing before the market crashed. They are probably developed in 3 weeks with not even a shoestring budget.
I think you need to do your homework. That was one game, E.T. and it was produced so quickly so as to tie in with the film's release popularity. And the crash happened in large part because of that one game, too. They sort of put their eggs all in one basket, produced way too many cartridges of E.T., which did not sell well (possibly due to the game's crappiness) and so thousands of cartridges became garbage. It is rumoured they were hastily buried in a land fill (or under a new developmet site?) in the desert.
At least, that is what I recall. If I am wrong, I will expect the cutomary skewering, starting with the turnabout observation that I need to do my homework!  :D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7655 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
The crash already was starting, ET just personified it. The game did sell quite well, but it sucked (as did Pac-Man for the 2600, which Atari actually manufactured more copies of the game than 2600s which existed, so they thought millions would but one just for the game).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: September 14, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
I remember Pac Man on the 2600. I, like many, was a bit disappointed it wasn't exactly like the arcade game, but I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway. That and the Empire Strikes Back game which I got around the same time.
Ah, memories.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Tamazoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:12 AM »
I think you need to do your homework. That was one game, E.T. and it was produced so quickly so as to tie in with the film's release popularity. And the crash happened in large part because of that one game, too. They sort of put their eggs all in one basket, produced way too many cartridges of E.T., which did not sell well (possibly due to the game's crappiness) and so thousands of cartridges became garbage. It is rumoured they were hastily buried in a land fill (or under a new developmet site?) in the desert.
At least, that is what I recall. If I am wrong, I will expect the cutomary skewering, starting with the turnabout observation that I need to do my homework!  :D

My statement was hyperbole based on how Atari gave a developer one month to make E.T. and how the marketing manager of Atari told the President gamers wouldn't want to play Pacman and he was ignored. Also that there were many games released by different companies in that era that were heavily marketed but were of poor quality and other companies jumping on the video games band wagon while it was booming in the mid 80s.

Pacman probably had a bigger effect on the market crash than ET. I believe Atari manufactured 12 million cartridges when they had only sold 10 million 2600s. It ended up selling around 8 million if I recall correctly

I probably should stop making similar statements.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:53:04 AM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: September 15, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

You could say that about any console game that came out before the NES. The gaming industry was revolutionized by games like Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, Mega Man, Legend of Zelda, Contra, etc.

I've played quite a few Atari games, and I feel sad that the industry's standards were so low back then.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:06:06 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7659 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »

You could say that about any console game that came out before the NES. The gaming industry was revolutionized by games like Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, Mega Man, Legend of Zelda, Contra, etc.

I've played quite a few Atari games, and I feel sad that the industry's standards were so low back then.
I don't know what kind of low you're talking about, but I had a blast between the ages of 3 to 5 playing games like Megamania, Pitfall, River Raid, Kangaroo, Asteroids, and even Mario Bros. on my Atari 2600. Even today, I'll fire up Megamania every once in a while just to see how high of a score I can get.

You're nuts, man.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »

My statement was hyperbole based on how Atari gave a developer one month to make E.T. and how the marketing manager of Atari told the President gamers wouldn't want to play Pacman and he was ignored. Also that there were many games released by different companies in that era that were heavily marketed but were of poor quality and other companies jumping on the video games band wagon while it was booming in the mid 80s.

Pacman probably had a bigger effect on the market crash than ET. I believe Atari manufactured 12 million cartridges when they had only sold 10 million 2600s. It ended up selling around 8 million if I recall correctly

I probably should stop making similar statements.

It sold about 1.5 million copies, with 2.5-3.5 million unsold.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7661 on: September 15, 2012, 10:55:04 PM »
Do you mean Pac-Man? Because it actually sold 7 million copies on the 2600.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: September 16, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
I wonder what an ET game could be like today if it were on HD consoles and if it were handled by a quality studio like Rocksteady and they were given a decent sized budget and all the time necessary to make it right.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7663 on: September 16, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
ET was never a movie that should have been made into a game...there just isn't content to make the game work...and it would suck.  Suck donkey balls...or something.  I dunno why every big movie is assumed to be able to be a video game...because it just isn't true. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: September 16, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
ET was never a movie that should have been made into a game...there just isn't content to make the game work...and it would suck.  Suck donkey balls...or something.  I dunno why every big movie is assumed to be able to be a video game...because it just isn't true. 

ET could be made into a quality title, but it might have to deviate a lot from the movie in order to be fun and interesting. Toy Story 3 was a fairly decent game. I imagine ET would probably work best if done in a similar vein.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7665 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:57 AM »
But Toy Story actually works as a movie franchise that could be made into a game...in fact it screams to create a game for it.  I did not mean to imply all movies can not make good games...some can and some can't. 

Toy Story 3 is perfect for game material...you have a band of Toys with different abilities working together to break out of Toy Prison and rescue their friends...and go on a huge adventure.  You have Stealth, Action game play right there...many characters to play as...possible co-op play...and more. 

ET...you have a singular chase scene and a story focused more on relationships and mystery than action. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:41 AM »
As I said it might have to deviate from the movie a lot in order to be fun and interesting. How many movie based games follow the movie to the letter anyway? All that's necessary is that it is set in the ET universe and uses the ET characters. Everything else can be altered to be more game friendly.
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
Yeah you could make an ET game about ET collecting ships parts for his ship to travel back home while the FBI are searching for him.
Oh wait.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »
As I said it might have to deviate from the movie a lot in order to be fun and interesting. How many movie based games follow the movie to the letter anyway? All that's necessary is that it is set in the ET universe and uses the ET characters. Everything else can be altered to be more game friendly.

The real question isn't "is it possible to make a good E.T game?", but "does anyone actually want an E.T. game?".

And the answer to that question is an emphatic "No".

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
boy this thread has sure gone downhill, at least since Thursday. Wonder why? :P:
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: September 17, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
The real question isn't "is it possible to make a good E.T game?", but "does anyone actually want an E.T. game?".

And the answer to that question is an emphatic "No".

I wouldn't say no one. It is a popular movie...

And btw, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_Oz_%28video_game%29

Someone apparently made a Wizard of Oz video game for the Super Nintendo many many many decades after the movie came out. Didn't the movie come out in 1939 or something? So this was like 60 years later or something. So if that can be done, then an ET game 30 years later isn't that far fetched.

But the reason I brought the whole thing up is because everyone likes to hate on the ET Atari game because of how bad it sucked. I just can't help but wonder what an ET game would be like if it were done today on an HD console and by someone who had enough time and resources to make it good.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: September 17, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
I need to dig up some new rumors.... i'm not sure what happened in this thread, and i'm too afraid to go back and read it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: September 17, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
I need to dig up some new rumors.... i'm not sure what happened in this thread, and i'm too afraid to go back and read it.
Don't.  It's not worth your sanity.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
I heard a rumor that the Wii U is going to be the hot toy of Christmas 2012.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
I heard a rumor that the Wii U is going to be the hot toy of Christmas 2012.
I heard a rumor that it's going to fail miserably because science.