Author Topic: No MegaMan Universe WiiWare Release Due to Size Restrictions  (Read 6812 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
No MegaMan Universe WiiWare Release Due to Size Restrictions
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

The latest Mega Man downloadable title is too big for Nintendo's service.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23996

At PAX, Capcom revealed that they wanted to release Mega Man Universe on WiiWare as well as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but the service's size restrictions prevented them from doing so. They are not able to do bring the game to WiiWare at this time.

Mega Man Universe is a classic Mega Man game featuring different characters, including three variations of Mega Man (Rock Man, Mega Man and Bad Box Art Mega Man) as well as Ryu from Street Fighter and other yet to be confirmed characters. The game was never announced for a WiiWare release, but is coming to Xbox Live and the Playstation Store in Spring 2011.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: No MegaMan Universe WiiWare Release Due to Size Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
Nintendo is the only company that ever has this **** happen.  For the last ten years anytime you hear "well we couldn't do this because of this restriction" it's Nintendo.  Every single fucking time.

Why don't they allow larger sizes?  Because they don't have the storage space.  Why don't they have more storage space?  Because they didn't design the Wii to support hard drives so it has way less storage available than the other consoles.  It always comes back to some very questionable Nintendo decision, usually one that anyone who didn't live in a bubble would not make.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
It's unfortunate that Nintendo's file size restrictions have once again managed to bar a big download title from coming to Wii, though I won't particularly miss this one.  It's a remixed, nostalgia-focused version of 8-bit Megaman with updated visuals and some other Capcom characters.  Whoop-de-friggin'-do.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:54 PM »
The Nintendo fan in me says "Dang" while the 360 owner in me says "...Alright."

I'm none too familiar with this title so I can't say I'm excited for it. ^^;
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
It is now time for the wii 2. I want file restrictions to be thrown out the window and never have to worry about storage ever again on a Nintendo system.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
Actually, Capcom has hit restriction issues with Microsoft and its was pulling teeth to get what they needed done.

edit::  actually, rip out the rendered grfx, replace with 8 bit.. were good to go and it would most likely be more fun.  See, when something uses 3d to kind of make a 2.5d game, well they always end up feeling like chesse.  Aside from killer instinct, and maybe one or two more, they usually stink. for me. 

edit:: and its okay nintendo, we like to download things to SD cards.  they work fine!  and we all know the hd support is their, so why not finally embrace it for us.  At least if you did, you could assign some security code to the games if it makes you feel better.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:28:11 PM by BwrJim! »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
are they trying to shame Nintendo into changing its policy?

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Nintendo's policy should have been changed long ago. Is there actually a viable reason for this size restriction? Either way, it's a big "Eff you" to Wii owners.

In any event, I would much rather see a VC release of Mega Man: The Wily Wars, but there's probably almost no chance of that ever happening.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
now is the size limit because of internal storage, so you could save it onto SD card but can't stream it because it needs to fit into internal memory to run and internal memory that is left over is small after channels and OS. Is that the problem or does Nintendo cap it at a small amount and it could potentially work even if you had all the channels and OS.

so basically could it run on wii but nintendo won't let them, or would it be too big for it to run on wii ?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
I think it's more the second one.

It's incredibly idiotic shortsightedness by Nintendo considering they included a SD card slot from the get-go.
You would think they had planned for increased storage from day1, but apparently that was never the plan.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
Looking back, it almost seems like Nintendo purposely designed the Wii firmware to be impossible to update.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
This annoys me.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »
Looking back, it almost seems like Nintendo purposely designed the Wii firmware to be impossible to update.
Actually, it's quite tailored for updates.  But Nintendo chooses not to.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
Actually, it's quite tailored for updates.  But Nintendo chooses not to.

Sadly, improving services that people don't pay for on a console Nintendo's already gotten its money from doesn't make Nintendo money.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
I do wonder if there is a lot of internal conflict between the hardware/firmware engineers and whoever makes later software decisions at Nintendo.  Because it seems like a lot of thought went into the design (for all its limitations), but many of the interesting features were ultimately left unused.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
I do wonder if there is a lot of internal conflict between the hardware/firmware engineers and whoever makes later software decisions at Nintendo.  Because it seems like a lot of thought went into the design (for all its limitations), but many of the interesting features were ultimately left unused.

Most likely rhe hardware engineers want to make the technology as robust as possible and make sense, the software kind of does their own thing, but goes along with the hardware engineers. Ultimatly, the financial portion of the company, which has the final word, says, "Okay, let's not spend any time or money on storage because there will be games that max out the storage any time soon. Let's just get it into the hands of the consumer as quickly as possible so that we can get as much money as possible." Nintendo's arrogance and short sightedness and pursuit of a quick buck is the reason why there is a storage limit.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
I don't really know anything about this game, but I think the fact it includes a "Bad Box Art Mega Man" character is hilarious.

I'm not certain on this, but I think the limit for WiiWare and VC stems from that, when you play these games, the entire game is loaded into the system's RAM. Therefore, games can't be larger than what can be stored within the RAM, which, sadly, isn't much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
Well, there's always the possibility for a disc version.  (Is that why Netflix has a disc?  They couldn't optimize their player for WiiWare?)
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
(Is that why Netflix has a disc?  They couldn't optimize their player for WiiWare?)
That's actually a rather good question. With the Netflix disc, after you load it up, the disc stops spinning completely and never starts up again. This would mean that the entire program is loaded into the system's RAM, right? If that's true, then the current WiiWare limit isn't entirely because of RAM, though if it were lifted, the limit would then be the same amount as the RAM, I believe.

I guess there isn't a way to find out this stuff...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
(Is that why Netflix has a disc?  They couldn't optimize their player for WiiWare?)
That's actually a rather good question. With the Netflix disc, after you load it up, the disc stops spinning completely and never starts up again. This would mean that the entire program is loaded into the system's RAM, right? If that's true, then the current WiiWare limit isn't entirely because of RAM, though if it were lifted, the limit would then be the same amount as the RAM, I believe.

I don't think it's a RAM issue, because the PS3 also required a disc for Netflic right out of the gate.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
Does it still require a disc? Is there any way to install the program on the PS3?

It seems strange that they wouldn't offer it as a channel if it were small enough to do so, then they wouldn't have had to spend money to produce and ship the discs. Or at least let you install the channel from the disc so you didn't have to insert it every time. I wonder why they didn't... but I guess I'm drifting off topic.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
MS Xbox360 has exclusive no-disc access to Netflix when it comes to the consoles.

That exclusivity supposedly end next month.
Sony supposedly delayed the 3D update to not only block some homebrew hacks but possibly to also include support for Netflix with no disc.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
Does it still require a disc? Is there any way to install the program on the PS3?

Netflix doesn't really interest me, so I don't have it.  But last I heard, either it no longer requires a disc or won't really soon.  It was a restriction put on Sony by Netflix as part of the requirement for them supporting the PS3, because I don't believe the 360 Netflix requires a disc.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »
The PS3 update next month is expected to eliminate the need for the disc, Netflix said that by the end of October the PS3 would not need a disc to use the service.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »
I think it has to do with an agreement that Netflix signed with M$ because when the 360 got Netflix streaming, they called it exclusive.  So they got around that on other consoles by having streaming with a disc.