Author Topic: Nikkei Reveals a New Wii Fit and Mario Title  (Read 19034 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Nikkei Reveals a New Wii Fit and Mario Title
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 11:37:37 PM »
Am I the only one hoping that this is a Galaxy sequel?

That game was perfect in my eyes. Why wouldn't you want a sequel?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
I bet Nintendo will release Wii Fit Plus in 2 SKUs, standalone and with balance board.
If that were to happen I would bet WiiFit+ also has a multi player mode requiring 2 balance boards, so you would still need WiiFit to enjoy it.

"i match your call and raise you 3 white chips" /tonysinclairwithmartiniglass.jpg

Impossible, a Wii can only have 1 balance board registered per system. I think that the balance board also takes up 2 controller slots (4 is visible and 3 is invisible).
Who says you can only have one Balance board on a system? & Bluetooth can register 7 items at a time, so that would still leave room for 2 BB's and 2 Wiimotes (w/ M+).
But I have never seen anything that said they can only have one BB per system. AFAIK the only reason to believe that would be that there has just never been a game that has supported 2 BB's.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:47 PM »

Besides that game fell off the charts many months ago, so a sequel would be a good thing.
But I still think its gonna be something like MP9 and not an actual platformer. I also think it will be for Wii (which could use a BIG game) and not for the DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »

I would like that too but it isn't what I am expecting because of how soon it is. I'm also hoping it is something for Wii but I have a feeling it is for the DS.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Too soon?

It's been 3 years. Not only that, but Galaxy's engine is begging to be used again.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:12 AM »
Maybe a new Paper Mario will be announced. It's around that time...

PM - 2001
PMTTYD - 2004
SPM - 2007
??? - 2010

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
Too soon?

It's been 3 years. Not only that, but Galaxy's engine is begging to be used again.
It's been two years. Plus only the NES has had more than one Mario platformer (Yoshi's Island on SNES doesn't count) so unfortunately the odds are pretty slim.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01:17 AM »
Maybe your right.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 01:03:57 AM »
How would people feel about a Super Paper Mario 2?

Quote from: Nintendo Survey
Assuming a reasonable price, how likely are you to purchase a sequel to Super Paper Mario or ask for it as a gift? Please use a scale from '1' to '7,' where '1' means you would 'Definitely not purchase a sequel' and '7' means you would 'Definitely purchase a sequel,' and '4' would be neutral or undecided.

Some people are also trying to pass off rumors to get peoples hopes up.
like, a Mario game where he keeps getting lost in other Nintendo games (like Captian Ranbow? or Captian Rainbow with Mario edited in?)
or a Re-envisioning of SMB3, since you know remakes/reboots are all the rage these days in games & movies.

Regardless of what it is, I'm betting its for the Wii to help boost sluggish Wii sales in Japan.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:07:16 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 01:18:57 AM »

Quote from: Nintendo Survey
Assuming a reasonable price, how likely are you to purchase a sequel to Super Paper Mario or ask for it as a gift? Please use a scale from '1' to '7,' where '1' means you would 'Definitely not purchase a sequel' and '7' means you would 'Definitely purchase a sequel,' and '4' would be neutral or undecided.

Some people are also trying to pass off rumors to get peoples hopes up.
like, a Mario game where he keeps getting lost in other Nintendo games (like Captian Ranbow? or Captian Rainbow with Mario edited in?)
or a Re-envisioning of SMB3, since you know remakes/reboots are all the rage these days in games & movies.

Regardless of what it is, I'm betting its for the Wii to help boost sluggish Wii sales in Japan.

Actually, you're right. The supposed new translation of the article says that the new Mario title could be released in order to combat the sluggish sales seen in Japan recently.

My speculation is that the game could be designed similar to New Super Mario Bros.: A 2D Mario game that plays and feel like the classics but looks brand new and includes new features.

While Galaxy was a hit in Japan in comparison to NSMB the game was almost a flop. NSMB proved to be a bigger winner with the Japanese so maybe Nintendo could design more Mario games with that train of thought.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »
Some more literal translations (no i didn't follow the link in the OP so I don't know what the mainsite article says)

Quote from: Nikkei.net
Nintendo planning a new Wii Fit this Fall.

Nintendo is aiming to announce a new Wii Fit this fall. Making use of network functionalities, you'll be able to compete with distant friends or family members in weighting or health "competitions". The measurement of the weight or the center of gravity will be improved compared to the current version. The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

Wii Fit is a game that uses the "balance board" to measure your weight or center of gravity, allows you to train your muscles, practice yoga, maintain your balance, exercise your oxygenation, and forge you body. Supported by non-gamers throughout the world, it has sold more than 18 million copies to date.

Quote from: Nikkei Shinbum

They aim to support the slowing sales of the Wii video games console.

Wii Fit is a game that uses the "balance board" to measure your weight or center of gravity, allows you to train your muscles, practice yoga, maintain your balance, exercise your oxygenation, and forge you body. Supported by non-gamers throughout the world, it has sold more than 18 million copies to date.

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises aimed at aged people, and destined to lower their body charge, will also be added.

Due to lack of hit Wii games in the first half of the year, domestic sales of the console have been somehow worsening. Because of the strong feeling that North American sales did reach a peak last year, it has been evocated that there was a demand for new software releases.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:55:40 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »
NSMB is selling better than Galaxy, yes? Then I predict a Galaxy sequel.

I heard the Wii can technically/theoretically have 3 balance boards connected. I know there are 7 channels (or virtual controller ports you might call them) in a Wii for Bluetooth controllers. So the max would be 4 Wiimotes and 3 Balanceboards.

If Nintendo internalized development of Mario Party then that could be the mystery Mario game. I could see them internalizing it to be a showcase for M+ this Fall.

LOL, it could be New Play Control! Super Mario Sunshine! I know some people were wanting a remake/sequel of that with Wii functionality.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »
Quote from: Nikkei Shinbum

They aim to support the slowing sales of the Wii video games console.
Due to lack of hit Wii games in the first half of the year, domestic sales of the console have been somehow worsening. Because of the strong feeling that North American sales did reach a peak last year, it has been evocated that there was a demand for new software releases.

I say "Naw! Ya think?"

*Facepalm*
My Game Collection

Offline IssunZX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 01:49:01 AM »
OK... this is where I show my ignorance, so someone correct in the (very likely) chance that I'm wrong...

How is releasing a sequel to a game that's already selling well a bad thing? I mean, sure the current game is still profitable, but for fans of the current title who want something new, wouldn't giving them a sequel only help sales more? I don't really understand how releasing "Newer Super Mario Bros." would have any negative impact on the first game.

With that said, this is pretty exciting news; I mean, a new Mario game? A NEW MARIO game? Nintendo must be feeling rather wild and crazy if they're going to release more than one mainstream Mario game within the same console generation. I'm probably jumping the gun, but I'm calling a new mainstream game; it may either be a new DS title or a new Wii title. They can't be referring to "Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics" or "Mario & Luigi 3" since those have been announced since the beginning of the year.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »
Issun, the reason it would be bad is because the new one would kill off sales of the old one. What do you think would happen to Wii sales if they announced a Wii 2 for this Christmas? People would stop buying Wiis and wait for Wii 2 to come out. It would kill off sales of the first.

If they waited to release it then they could get a few million extra sales out of the old game they wouldn't otherwise.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 01:59:10 AM »
Issun, its just a matter of maximizing profits.The fans will buy the NEW game no matter when it releases so why kill the sales of the old one prematurely?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 02:00:53 AM »
I wish we could get a NSMB2 based on Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) I want to see the triumphant return of King Wart and Birdo to go back to being a bad guy. Gal. Person. Thing.

Great idea! There are a lot of great ideas from DDP/SMB2USA that have never really been revisited, especially in 3D.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »
There is also the idea out there that there could be a NSMBWii since NSMB was such a huge success for DS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 02:50:14 AM »
So Nintendo can't make another great game because soccer moms haven't stopped buying the ones they made 3 years ago? grr
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »
I found Super Paper Mario to be pretty "meh" so I wouldn't want to see a sequel. If there is another Paper Mario game then I'd hope it is an RPG like the first two, although I kind of hope they move away from the paper style because it seems like an excuse to have poor graphics. That was excusable on the Nintendo 64 because that system was pretty limited, but now it's getting ridiculous.

Issun, the reason it would be bad is because the new one would kill off sales of the old one.
I don't buy that. Your analogy doesn't work because you used a system as an example rather than a game. It isn't like Super Mario Galaxy is the end-all, be-all of Mario games or else people wouldn't be downloading all of the ones on the Virtual Console. Mario platformers aren't like Madden Football and Guitar Hero where every game is essentially the same, each one is unique. If a New Super Mario Brothers 2 were released, all those who have the original would likely be interested in it, and all those who bought the sequel would probably get the first one too if they liked it.

I wish we could get a NSMB2 based on Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) I want to see the triumphant return of King Wart and Birdo to go back to being a bad guy. Gal. Person. Thing.
I like the idea of a new Super Mario Brothers 2/USA, but not one that involves Birdo as an enemy. SMB2 was the only game where Birdo was really an enemy and he was probably more just misguided... and the whole game was passed off as a dream anyway so it makes it really difficult to explain canonically. Adorable creatures aren't evil.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
I found Super Paper Mario to be pretty "meh" so I wouldn't want to see a sequel. If there is another Paper Mario game then I'd hope it is an RPG like the first two, although I kind of hope they move away from the paper style because it seems like an excuse to have poor graphics. That was excusable on the Nintendo 64 because that system was pretty limited, but now it's getting ridiculous.
How about a SMRPG2, PaperMario3, or NSMB2Wii?

Issun, the reason it would be bad is because the new one would kill off sales of the old one.
I don't buy that. Your analogy doesn't work because you used a system as an example rather than a game. It isn't like Super Mario Galaxy is the end-all, be-all of Mario games or else people wouldn't be downloading all of the ones on the Virtual Console.
Actually the analogy worked really well. Releasing a sequel too soon will make the original look and therefore cap off potential sales.
You say you're gonna release WiiHD this fall, you might as well pull all the existing Wiis off the shelves right now, because only the uninformed would buy it.

Adorable creatures aren't evil.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 03:43:10 AM »
It bothers me that Mario had a dream involving Birdo.

I suppose you do have a point that Mario is different from Madden or Guitar Hero. I cannot refute the fact that people are constantly D/Ling old Marios on the VC.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new 2D Mario on Wii. I do hope they make one with old school graphical styles though. Playing WarioLand really made me want a Mario platformer without all that fancy 3D jazz.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:01 AM »
How about
1. SMRPG2
2. PaperMario3
3. NSMB2Wii?
1. Awesome
2. Meh
3. Too awesome to ever exist

Actually the analogy worked really well. Releasing a sequel too soon will make the original look and therefore cap off potential sales.
You say you're gonna release WiiHD this fall, you might as well pull all the existing Wiis off the shelves right now, because only the uninformed would buy it.
I disagree, that's like comparing apples to oranges, or maybe something less cliché. New systems are designed to replace old ones but new games usually aren't. Again I ask, does Super Mario Galaxy make Super Mario 64 or any other Mario game less special? Those older games' existence on the Virtual Console would say no.

Adorable creatures aren't evil.
http://i44.tinypic.com/1zvsu8p.jpg
C'mon, that thing is ugly.

It bothers me that Mario had a dream involving Birdo.
I don't like where you are going with that thought...

I wouldn't mind seeing a new 2D Mario on Wii. I do hope they make one with old school graphical styles though. Playing WarioLand really made me want a Mario platformer without all that fancy 3D jazz.
It would be pretty great but the chances seem slim. Playing Super Paper Mario really makes me want a 2D Wii Mario game that's actually good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 04:10:31 AM »
Well if they really want to boost Wii sales to DS levels in Japan, the best way to do that is NSMB2 Wii. Now it won't affect NSMB on DS and give everyone the new sequel thsat they've been waiting for. that will also give time for DSi to get a bigger hold on the market before releasing NSMB3 DSi.

I think its the perfect plan.
which is why its unlikely to happen :(

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 04:22:38 AM »
I still think it is going to be another Mario game for Wii built from the SMG engine. THe Wii needs a big game for the holiday and that is likely it, Zelda still needs at least another year because they are building a new engine for it, and I'm not sure any other core game would fit when it comes to stirring up a ton of sales. Two years is more then enough time to create another Mario game if they utilize the SMG engine.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144