Author Topic: Whatever happened to online?  (Read 13835 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE: Online is ....... CONFIRMED!?!?!?
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:28 AM »
Voice chat would've been nice.... but I'd never sacrifice gameplay for anything. I'd take a smoother 4-player online experience any day.

I wonder if it's possible for multiple players to play online from the same Wii. For example, my brother and I playing vs. people online.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
Matt's a fair weathered friend, Spak. Now that Nintendo has admitted that SSB Brawl online might not be perfect he bitches and rant about how they are being unfair and lacking extra online options.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Online is ....... CONFIRMED!?!?!?
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »
Matt's obsession with voice over text symbolizes everything that is going wrong with the game industry today.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »
hmm, voice chat...you know some of the best matches in smash bros are when fighting everyone is dead quiet. Super focused on winning, on the other hand its fun as hell to smack talk....

Matt complains about this, but he has to remember there is no microphone for the wii..not liek the xbox 360s..heck i dont think theres one like the xbox 360s for ps3. i certainly havnt seen my friends use one.

also, unless your from the 1700s..i think we've all heard of this lovely invention called a TELEPHONE
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
I don't mind honest critism.  Specially in reviews of games.

But Matt believes it to his quest to influence Nintendo for the better...and sometimes I think he takes this too seriously, and pushes too much.

Do I think Nintendo needs to consider releasing voice chat in every online game, and do I see the potential for how cool that would be?  YES.  

But, I don't think every online game needs it.  In fact, there as some cases when it is nice NOT to have that at all.  Strikers is a great example.  I don't want to hear rants at how badly I suck while online gamers are beating me ruthlessly.  I would rather lose with dignity.  

Honestly, if Matt wasn't on his podium preaching to the choir about voice chat for Battalion Wars and Eternal Ocean then I don't think he would have posted bitching about Brawl...instead he would have been excited like everyone else.  

I think I just wish he would have waited to add this to his evidence of Nintendo "screwing up" because really Nintendo has been on top of its game recently, and I don't really need to spend more money on another device for my Wii.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »
hmm, if nintendo really wants to introduce voice chat it should....

release a firmware update for wii
release a microphone
allow the microphone to supersede all games...in the home menu possibly.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »
If memory serves you can use a standard Bluetooth headset with the PS3.  I've just had no reason to try it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
Someone should tell Matt Smash Bros Brawl does support voice chat, it's called your friends.  I can see why people would like voice chat but honestly, for a game like Smash Bros the most fun is playing it in a room full of other people.  Now I agree games like Battalion Wars and Eternal Ocean would benefit from voice chat but pretty much everyone else agree's as well.  For Smash Bros though, it's just not that important for the experience.

Not to mention, most strangers you meet online end up being annoying 12 year olds or racist college students.  The only time voice chat is nice is when talking to friends, but like I said, playing with friends when your all in the same place is still the best way to play Smash Bros anyday.    
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »

Not to mention, most strangers you meet online end up being annoying 12 year olds or racist college students.

To say the least. And people are right when they say they need to squeeze every last bit of bandwidth out of the Wi-Fi connection. Fighting games are less forgiving than RTSes or other online games.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
Yeah, whenever my friends and I play Smash Bros Melee, we tend be silent except for the occasional curse word, when we get mad because someone is edge hogging, or spamming, or we killed ourselves stupidly ie Capt Falcon or Fox's over b off the edge.  

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
I think that the names and text taunts will be more than enough to convey all the necessary information.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »

I wonder if it's possible for multiple players to play online from the same Wii. For example, my brother and I playing vs. people online.
Yes. You can do this in Strikers.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig