Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 238027 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #675 on: November 12, 2007, 05:18:50 AM »
I feel like a sucker buying this game for full price. Seriously, wtf is going on? Why are so many retailers selling it at drastically reduced prices? It's a god damned Mario game!

Offline ShreddersDojo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 12, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »
Well, if it didn't get released till tomorrow at TRU, I got extremely lucky at K-Mart.  Very nice guy actually went back and checked for me in the warehouse.  Brought out a box that was half empty, and about 6 or so games left.  Guess it wasn't a waisted trip after all .

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 12, 2007, 05:30:38 AM »
So you guys got it at Circuit City...

Oh on the retailer thing.  Its the whole Harry Potter thing all over again.  All the retailers new it would sell in bulk and then priced to get people to buy it from them.  Unfortunately some retailers priced to low and actually lost money.

Edit:
I just came back from Circuit City with there ad.  Its $49.99 and they don't have it today.  It says they'll have it at 2 pm as the associate pointed out.  I like to see where that ad come out for it being $35 and when is that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #678 on: November 12, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I just came back from Circuit City with there ad.  Its $49.99 and they don't have it today.  It says they'll have it at 2 pm as the associate pointed out.  I like to see where that ad come out for it being $35 and when is that.

The $34.99 is from Circuit City's "Black Friday" ad (11/23/07).
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline k_bukie

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »
If you reserved your game at Gamestop, expect this in the near future:

Mario leaves a message

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 12, 2007, 09:13:06 AM »
This game is pretty fun! Definitely up there with the older Marios, and my memory of those is tinted through glasses so rosy it's like luminously mortified baby flamingos puked pinkly into my eyes.

I'll spend more time on it once I've cracked through more of Fire Emblem first.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #681 on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »
I just got my "Mario" call! However, since my niece also picked up the phone the call dropped and couldn't hear the whole message...

Luckily the call is already online, otherwise I would've been angry as hell..
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
Just got the call but . . . my dad picked up wah wah lol.

I called to see if I could really pick it up now but of course not, gotta wait till tomorrow.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 12, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Just got the call but . . . my dad picked up wah wah lol.

I called to see if I could really pick it up now but of course not, gotta wait till tomorrow.

Good, that means you can suffer like me!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 12, 2007, 11:12:44 AM »
I'll be renting this through GF but not buying it due to budget constraints.

I'm sure it'll be great, but I played through M64 and Sunshine once and then they sat on my shelf for years afterwards. It just doesn't make sense to buy non-multiplayer games (yes, I know, it has a multiplayer "helper" element).

I'll probably get it in sometime next week, after I've sent back M&S.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

I'm sure it'll be great, but I played through M64 and Sunshine once and then they sat on my shelf for years afterwards. It just doesn't make sense to buy non-multiplayer games (yes, I know, it has a multiplayer "helper" element).

You are insane to only have played M64 and Sunshine once! Those games had so much to do and so much to explore.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 12, 2007, 11:23:46 AM »
M64 I got all 120 stars. Sunshine became pretty boring once I beat the final boss.

I had zero desire to hunt down all of the blue coins after that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #687 on: November 12, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

You are insane to only have played M64 and Sunshine once! Those games had so much to do and so much to explore.

Yeah, but what else is there to do once you have seen and done EVERYTHING? Once I got all of the stars in Mario 64, saw Yoshi and got the 100 lives I was ready to move onto the next game. Mario Sunshine, while good, wasn't captivating enough for me to play through EVERYTHING and replay it once more.

Multiplayer games, on the other hand, have a lot of life in them. There will always be someone to play them with, and if its good enough, it can last a lifetime.

S_B's philosophy is: if I am going to invest on a game I want to get the most out of it, hence why he buys multiplayer titles.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 12, 2007, 11:39:25 AM »
...or lets someone else buy them (like how Cap is buying REUC, heh).

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #689 on: November 12, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »

...or lets someone else buy them (like how Cap is buying REUC, heh).

That too :p.

Frankly, if I had the money and the service was available in Puerto Rico I would've rented Galaxy, as well as many other games, through Gamefly.

I buy games simply because:
- On occasion the video store doesn't have the game for rent (this is true with nearly all Nintendo games)
- They don't have 3 day rental services so I only get to play the game for a day or a weekend
- I want to own the game
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 12, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
I am concerned about difficulty (well maybe that is a bad choice of words, perhaps curious is it) because after hearing Matt it sounds like the game is pretty easy. It would be nice to hear how it compares to Mario 64.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 12, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
I'm going to buy this game for the simple fact that it will take me a while and I have to wait forever because it is popular.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 12, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »
I'm guessing it won't be very hard because people bitched out poor Miyamoto for making Sunshine too hard, which I thought was obscenely easy to start with.

Also, NSMB was ridiculously easy as well. It's hard for me to not be a bit miffed at whoever keeps beating Shiggy up about making easy games easier.

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 12, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »
See, in this day and age where time is at a premium, I don't mind easy games.  Especially when even the easy games take a few days too complete.

I kind of like the way this game is layed out... each section doesn't take too long too cover, there's so far been decent enough challenges and fun puzzles.... what more could one ask for?  I especially like the remixed classic music, and hope there is a 'DJ' option somewhere in the game..

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 12, 2007, 02:50:05 PM »
Not sure I would call Mario Sunshine easy, it is perhaps the second hardest Mario created, behind SMB2 Japan. It was definitely harder than Mario 64. Also I am hesitant to use NSMB as a meter for Galaxy's challenge considering Miyamoto had little to do with that game.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 12, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »
I don't mind it being easy since I know this will have more content, but the age of real gamers feels like it's coming to its sunset.

At least we'll always have it on online competition...

Wait, Sunshine was supposed to be harder...? Huh?

I thought the bonus levels could be a bit tricky, but the game was VERY forgiving and made most of the challenges easy to overcome, I thought.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 12, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »

I don't mind it being easy since I know this will have more content, but the age of real gamers feels like it's coming to its sunset.

At least we'll always have it on online competition...

Wait, Sunshine was supposed to be harder...? Huh?

I thought the bonus levels could be a bit tricky, but the game was VERY forgiving and made most of the challenges easy to overcome, I thought.

Well I thought Sunshine's difficulty was overrated but I wouldn't go as far to say it was easy. I know I had a much tougher time beating the game then I had with Mario 64.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
"I don't mind it being easy since I know this will have more content, but the age of real gamers feels like it's coming to its sunset."

If being a "real gamer" involves "enjoyment through frustration," I'd rather be left out...I don't care how easy a game is, fun gameplay is fun gameplay, and increased difficulty won't make a crappy (or good) game any better...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 12, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"I don't mind it being easy since I know this will have more content, but the age of real gamers feels like it's coming to its sunset."

If being a "real gamer" involves "enjoyment through frustration," I'd rather be left out...I don't care how easy a game is, fun gameplay is fun gameplay, and increased difficulty won't make a crappy game any better...

I agree, though I think it would be a dang shame if Galaxy wasn't at least Mario 64 level in difficulty, because I thought it was perfectly balanced. It was challenging without being frustrating.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 12, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

If being a "real gamer" involves "enjoyment through frustration," I'd rather be left out...I don't care how easy a game is, fun gameplay is fun gameplay, and increased difficulty won't make a crappy game any better...

I think being a "real gamer" means not being stopped from beating a game on the hard setting even if it means you need to learn and get better at it.

The most satisfying and memorable gaming experiences for me are ones where I need to actually get better at the game in order to beat it, like bosses in Castlevania games. You're pretty much guaranteed to die the first few times you fight it but after you learn its pattern, you'll be able to beat it easily.

It rewards you for observation and reflex where a lesser player would have failed, making the challenge more validating.

I'm not suggesting games jump back to immense levels of difficulty, but in the grand scheme of things, games just seem to be getting easier and easier.