Author Topic: WW of OoT style graphics??  (Read 11199 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: WW of OoT style graphics??
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2003, 01:21:54 PM »
Mouse-Clicker.   Original version= first game.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bosrs1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:WW of OoT style graphics??
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2003, 02:00:23 PM »
The LOZ may have been the original version, but it is not related to the style of the Windwaker by any measure.  
2 NES
2 SNES
1 N64
2 GCN
3 GBs
2 GBCs
1 GBA

Served Since 1987

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2003, 02:04:14 PM »
Bosr's got the idea- besides, LoZ was pixelated as hell. I don't see how you could derive any "vision" from that.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2003, 03:32:12 PM »
Klutsy-  I think it's be great.  Our characters would actually look like the ones in the manual.
I can picture all of Hyrule in cel-shading and it's awseome.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2003, 07:35:39 PM »
WHat did you think when you first saw WW.  Did you like the cartoon or did it take you a while to get used to it?

Offline Bosrs1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2003, 08:29:32 PM »
Personally I groaned when I first saw it, and it has yet to grow on me. I thought that Link would look like an advanced OOT style or would resemble the style in the NGC previews they had a few years back. I mean I like the cell shading, but it would have been better suited to another franchise like Pokemon or Ninja Turtles. I always pictured Zelda games as being more realistic like the pictures in Manuals and Guidebooks, neither of which were as hideously cartoonish as WW's graphics.  
2 NES
2 SNES
1 N64
2 GCN
3 GBs
2 GBCs
1 GBA

Served Since 1987

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2003, 08:40:40 PM »
I was devestated- not that the cel-shading looked bad by any means, but it ate at me over and over again that Nintendo teased us with the SW2K demo's unparalleled beauty and then suddenly in one fell swoop did a complete 180. It wasn't that I didn't like the cel-shading (indeed, Wind Waker is an incredibly good game, made all the better by it's graphical style), but we had been promised something much different, something I had very high hopes for.

Also, to anyone who doesn't think a realistic graphical style would work, I simply direct your attention to Ico- that game is one of the most convincing and atmospheric games I have ever played (probably THE most convincing and atmospheric). Imagine that game with the Gamecube's power.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2003, 05:46:37 AM »
The original vision is the artwork done for the original Legend of Zelda, and the "feel" of the first 3 games.

Gameheadz portrayed the forest where Miyamoto grew up as the birth place of the Legend of Zelda.  I don't presume to know that they were speaking the truth, but I am inclined to agree.  Many artists take dreams and visions from childhood to directly translate into their art.

But the thing that makes me feel most strongly about the proper style of Zelda is simply Miyamoto's views on gaming, and the previous games he has made.  All of his games have had a familiar feel about them.  They are all lighthearted, and very cartoony at heart.  I mean, look at A Link to the Past, and compare it to Wind Waker.  The graphical style of the games are very similar.  Hell, compare Pikmin, Mario, LttP, and Animal Crossing to Zelda: OoT.  can you spot the oddball there?

Miyamoto once said that after creating the SpaceWorld 2000 demo for Zelda, he really didn't like Link or the series anymore, and that's why he felt he had to bring the franchise back to its roots.

As far as reinventing Zelda goes, I think that has to do with the setting and plot of the game.  The game's setting was very different from earlier incarnations, and the plot was much more deep and epic in scope.

The thing is that when I play the game, I can literally feel the spirit of Miyamoto behind it.  I don't care if Shiggy makes 100 games more, I will always cherish Zelda: Wind Waker as Miyamoto's greatest achievement.

Now, I will admit that when I first saw the Zelda trailer alongside the Mario Sunshine trailer, I wasn't impressed at all.  I hated the style, and I didn't like the game at that moment.  I grudgingly grew to accept it, but when I saw the E3 trailer that Nintendo posted on their site, it was love at first sight.  The second trailer was presented in a very different way, and it showed more of the game and its style to me.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2003, 06:01:47 AM »
When I saw the first screenshots for WW I was put off. I preordered it istandly just for the OoT. I figured if I desided not to get the game, OoT for $15 would still be a good deal. Then I played the game at ToysRUs and I was fighting the Dragon Roost boss. I was getting pissed off because I couldnt hit him with my Grappling Hook. I kept aiming at his eye and he would blink just in time. I gave up and left. Later on I played it again at BestBuy and I was just starting in the Dragon Roost temple. I killed the first couble of (thin Moblins, I forget their names) and I had to light a couple torches. When I picked up the stick and lit it, and saw how the light from the flame followed me around as I moved the stick, I instantly fell in love with the game. I moved on and saw how Link could stridle a wall and peek around the corner and the animation was perfect. I knew then that I had to have this game.

Although graphics are a great first impression, thats all they are. Gameplay is what will keep bring you back. And the bottom line is that WW is absolutely fun to play. I just finished it a second time in my PJs and completed the Nintendo Gallery (I was sooo worried when I fought Puppet Gannon 'cause I needed his pic and you cant leave the area after fighting him without saving. Fortunately at least one of the three pics I took was good).

This game was sooo good infact that the sequel is a definate purchase for me nomatter what any previews or reviews say about it. I'm already sold.

For GCN there is only one game that I like better than WW and that is MP just because it was more difficult.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2003, 06:14:50 AM »
No game better than WW so far.  The sequal is also a definite buy.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2003, 08:52:33 AM »

The original vision is the artwork done for the original Legend of Zelda, and the "feel" of the first 3 games.

The first 3 games were VERY different from each other- Adventure's of Link was an action oriented side scroller for crying out loud. If that's the vision of the series, then I'm right that it's constantly reinventing it's style.

Gameheadz portrayed the forest where Miyamoto grew up as the birth place of the Legend of Zelda. I don't presume to know that they were speaking the truth, but I am inclined to agree. Many artists take dreams and visions from childhood to directly translate into their art.

Miyamoto said he got the inspiration from Zelda from his days exploring the forested area around where he lived as a child. He said one day he was hiking through the hills and came across a huge lake he had never seen before and thought it was amazing something so massive could be so close and he never knew about it. THAT'S what Zelda is about, exploration.

But the thing that makes me feel most strongly about the proper style of Zelda is simply Miyamoto's views on gaming, and the previous games he has made. All of his games have had a familiar feel about them. They are all lighthearted, and very cartoony at heart. I mean, look at A Link to the Past, and compare it to Wind Waker. The graphical style of the games are very similar. Hell, compare Pikmin, Mario, LttP, and Animal Crossing to Zelda: OoT. can you spot the oddball there?

So why should Miyamoto be constricted to only one specific style? Why does everything he makes have to be lighthearted? He had a major hand in the development of Eternal Darkness, yet that's not lighthearted. Majora's Mask had a very dark undertone to it. Miyamoto doesn't have to do the same thing over and over again.

Miyamoto once said that after creating the SpaceWorld 2000 demo for Zelda, he really didn't like Link or the series anymore, and that's why he felt he had to bring the franchise back to its roots.

He never said that- people misread an interview or something and took it to mean that. He said that he felt the SW2K demo was just more of the same and wanted to do something different. Wind Waker does not resemble Zelda's roots in any way.

As far as reinventing Zelda goes, I think that has to do with the setting and plot of the game. The game's setting was very different from earlier incarnations, and the plot was much more deep and epic in scope.

No, it's the style too- look how many styles the Zelda series has transcended and try to tell me all they changed, or wanted to change, was the plot and setting. That's bull crap

The thing is that when I play the game, I can literally feel the spirit of Miyamoto behind it. I don't care if Shiggy makes 100 games more, I will always cherish Zelda: Wind Waker as Miyamoto's greatest achievement.

I kinda have to disagree. : | WW is an incredibly good game, but I feel that special Miyamoto touch much more strongly in his other games (especially since he wasn't the guy who made Wind Waker).

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2003, 02:08:37 PM »
Plain and simple: wind waker was not a good OoT sequel at all. Its like they just simplified OoT for kids! First off, Ganondorf looks awsome in OoT especially when you fight him. In WW, he looks like he dressed up as Santa Clause! We never see the King of Hyrule in OoT but we see him in Wind Waker as a boat! I also liked how in OoT you were always on the land unless you were in a river or Lake Hylia. In Wind Waker, you are always in the water. It gets SOO BORING! They also closed the pages of Ganondorf and Hyrule for good! Is this staying true to the Zelda series people?! I am just going to have to wait for a realistic Zelda on Gamecube2.  
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2003, 02:17:16 PM »
"Wind Waker, you are always in the water. It gets SOO BORING!"

The whole theme of the game is sailing on the ocean.
Next you will say the game is so redundant because in every Zelda game you have to get the Master Sword and the Triforce over and over again (with some exceptions).

"They also closed the pages of Ganondorf and Hyrule for good!"

Ganondorf's body didnt explode at the end, it just turned him to stone. He can come back when someone removes the Master Sword.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2003, 02:20:44 PM »
That is true, but I think that a sword stuck in your head would cause brain damage, and how would anyone pull it out if the Triforce banished Hyrule forever?

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2003, 04:34:07 PM »
It didnt banish Hyrule forever it washed it away. Everything is still there, just broken and on the bottom of the ocean. Eventually the statue will wash up on shore or something and Link will have to find the Triforce and get the sword again. Or something like that. Its just my opinion, but if Nintendo wanted to shoe Ganon die, his stone body would have shattered into a million pieces.

I dont think that Ganon will be back in the sequel, but will return on a futre game for the next system.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2003, 04:34:34 PM »
With regards to sailing around all the time.  The only zelda games i have played are OoT and WW.  Are any of the other games water/ocean based, or are they all land?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2003, 08:52:45 PM »
WW has the been the only(and most likely last) Zelda game to feature a more water-based adventure.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2003, 08:32:16 AM »
"It didnt banish Hyrule forever it washed it away. Everything is still there, just broken and on the bottom of the ocean. Eventually the statue will wash up on shore or something and Link will have to find the Triforce and get the sword again. Or something like that. Its just my opinion, but if Nintendo wanted to shoe Ganon die, his stone body would have shattered into a million pieces."
This is all a possibility, but I heard in a interview with the creator of Wind Waker say that now that the book of Hyrule has been "closed for good", he wants to do something new with the Zelda series. While I am all for this, ending Hyrule did not turn well as I was hoping for.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2003, 08:44:05 AM »
What was probably meant by that interview was that Hyrule would not be back for the next, or perhaps, next several games.  WW comes right after OoT in the timeline(according to Ninty itself) and if I'm not mistaken, Hyrule is the main focus in every other game in the series.  Obviously Hyrule will not be brought back right away.  The next game will be a little like MM; placed in a completely different land.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2003, 02:00:37 PM »
Do you think the next zelda game will be focused on a musical instrument?