Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30332 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Note: All of these games will play on Game Boy Color, original Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, and the Game Boy Player accessory for GameCube. None will play on the Game Boy Micro or Nintendo DS/Lite. Only Metroid 2 and Pokemon Pinball are compatible with the original Game Boy (Fat/Light/Pocket/Super).

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (1991)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002SVEM/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1270356981&sr=8-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=metroid+2&_sacat=See-All-Categories
This unusual case of a numbered sequel released on a handheld lives up to its title, with numerous improvements and additions over the original NES game. This is the first appearance of elements like the Spider Ball, Spazer Beam, save points, and crouching. Players only familiar with the first and third Metroid games will be surprised to find that this black and white, handheld game clearly bridges that gap and in fact looks and feels much more like Super Metroid. The game structure, however, is unique within the series, as Samus explores deeper and deeper into SR-388 to drive the Metroid species to extinction but finds the creatures have mutated into increasingly dangerous forms.

Pokemon Pinball (1999)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000031KJL/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1270357385&sr=8-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pokemon+pinball&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=metroid+2&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Arguably the most successful Pokemon spin-off game, both in sales and quality, this is an excellent and accessible pinball game with one major twist. Playing well offers chances to capture Pokemon and build up your Pokedex, just like in the RPGs. This feature, and all the mechanics supporting it, bring a longevity and depth to Pokemon Pinball that is rarely found in the genre. Note that this black cartridge will run on the original Game Boy (in black and white) or Game Boy Color (in full color). The game has built-in rumble powered by a single battery, but this feature is entirely optional and doesn't work well in the Game Boy Player.

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (1999)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004R9HX/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270357866&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bionic+commando+elite+forces&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=pokemon+pinball&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
This overlooked action-platformer, developed at Nintendo Software Technologies, is more sequel than remake to the classic NES game. The level designs are nearly all new, and the characters (including a new female commando) have new moves. They'll need them, because this GBC exclusive is extremely challenging, just like its predecessors and successors.

Wario Land 3 (2000)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004S99X/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270357931&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=wario+land+3&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=bionic+commando+elite+forces&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Although the previous game in the series was re-released as a dual-mode cartridge near the GBC launch, Wario Land 3 takes full advantage of the hardware as a GBC-exclusive game. This sprawling platformer features a non-linear world map, multiple level exits, upgradeable abilities, and brilliant puzzles. As in WL2, our anti-hero is immortal -- enemies either knock away coins or transform Wario into a variety of altered states that can be simultaneously annoying, useful, and hilarious. Both in technology and game design, this may well be the most ambitious GBC title from Nintendo before the platform was pushed aside for the Game Boy Advance launch.

Metal Gear Solid, a.k.a. "Ghost Babel" (2000)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004LC81/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270358415&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=metal+gear+solid+game+boy&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=wario+land+3&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Though sharing a name and some elements from the PlayStation MGS, this handheld game is entirely original and is considered canonical within the Metal Gear franchise. It is played from an overhead, 2D perspective like the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but incorporates more modern controls and features from the 3D revival. Famously, MGS for Game Boy spent years as the #1 best-reviewed video game among all platforms at GameRankings.com. It is currently #12 and the highest ranking handheld game on that list.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
Additional Notes:

There were several requests for Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons/Ages. After much deliberation, I decided to omit these games, for multiple reasons. First, it would be difficult to choose among the three, and I certainly wouldn't want Zelda games competing against each other when there are many other worthy Game Boy nominees. Second, we have already covered a Zelda game (Adventure of Link) on RetroActive. Third, I am actively trying to showcase lesser-known games and avoid landslide victories by extremely famous/popular games that have already been discussed on our show and/or elsewhere.

Perfect Dark for Game Boy Color was a recent Shout-Out in Listener Mail and certainly seems to be an interesting game. However, I believe it is similar (at least superficially) to Metal Gear Solid, and the latter is widely considered to be superior, although perhaps equally obscure.

I intentionally avoided RPGs due to a preponderance of that genre in previous RetroActive features.

There will be a separate Game Boy Advance poll in the future -- though not necessarily to follow immediately after this one.

I tried to avoid games that are expensive or unusually difficult to find, or incredibly obscure. Hopefully the candidates include games that most listeners are familiar with, but maybe have not played or need to revisit.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »
Metriod 2!!!

Been holding on to a copy I got a while ago in anticipation for this game to get it's chance. Hope it wins.

Though I do want to try Ghost Babel.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:09 AM »
Voted for Metroid 2, may not like the game much but it should provide for an interesting discussion on how the series started to evolve.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
I've cast my vote, but honestly I'd be happy with any of these.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:58 AM »
Wario Land 3, please & thanks.

It feels like it's been so long since I played it... having played WL4 and The Shake Dimension in the interrim, I would love to see how it holds up now.
All I can remember about the game is the deranged rabbit boss who plays football (soccer) against you.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
Hmm... Interesting poll.  I own all games except Pokemon Pinball.  I'd also have to rebuy Bionic Commando since the copy I bought a few years ago (lost my original) is buggy.  But I love that game so I wouldn't mind.  Metroid 2 is still one of my favorites ever.  I don't remember much about Metal Gear other than I really liked it.  And I didn't love Wario Land 3 like I expected coming off of the second game. 

I think I'm going to vote for Metroid 2: The Return of Samus.  Like I said the game is fantastic.  And I already know that I have a lot to say about it.  Plus like Zelda 2, it seems to be somewhat of a black sheep of the series and I like that for some reason. 

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
I'll be honest--I don't plan to participate in this RetroActive.  My SP is at my parents' house so I don't have a means of easily playing a GB/GBC game.  That said, I think MGS would probably yield the most interesting discussion so I'm going to vote for that.

Metroid II has been discussed previously on RFN.
I don't have much interest in Pokemon or Pinball so I don't know how much can actually be said about a game that combines both.
Bionic Commando is pretty much the same game as the NES game and the recent remake.
I wouldn't mind Wario Land 3, as I love the game, but since both Jonny and Greg have spoken at length about Shake It, there will be a lot of ground that's already been covered.

Ghost Babel is an interesting title if for no other reason that the developers somehow managed to squeeze a Metal Gear Solid game into a tiny GBC cartridge--quite successfully, from what I understand.  There aren't a lot of games like this on GBC (or even GBA, for that matter) so I think it deserves a second look.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
...WL3 and Shake It are fairly different games, vudu.
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
Let's see, I own three of these. Though Pokémon Pinball I have on a pirated 35-in-1 cartridge which I bought not knowing what it was.

It's between Metroid 2 and Wario Land 3 for me. I don't like Metroid 2, it's pretty bland, and far too maze-like considering the lack of a map. It doesn't help that every area looks basically the same. Really, a Metroid game was a bad choice for such a primitive piece of hardware. Wario Land 3 is fun, though I liked Wario Land II better. I'm not sure if it'd make for a good conversation piece though...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
I went with Metroid 2.  Yes, it's been mentioned fairly often on RFN already, but I don't feel that it's actually been discussed much.  Besides, of all the games on this list it's the only one I think I could find interesting to hear about, given that I have no way or desire to play any of these games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
I voted Wario Land III, partially because I've never played it. I do have a copy of Metroid II I got last year that I've been looking for an excuse to bust out my Game Boy Player and play, so I won't be too bummed if that wins.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
I went with Pokémon Pinball. Even if you are not a fan of Pokémon, it is still a excellent pinball games and pinball games don't get as much love as they should.

I've never played Metroid II: Return of Samus, but i've heard enough people talk about it that I don't want to play it. The general consensus i've read is that the game has aged terribly.

Wario Land 3 is alright and would be my second choice.

I have no interest in Bionic Commando: Elite Forces or Metal Gear Solid.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
Have you always italicized the titles of games, TJ, or is that just something you recently started doing?

It does make posts like nicer in my opinion.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
I've never understood the 'hate' for Metroid II.  Aside from the graphics (which isn't something that bothers me), I don't really get the complaints about how well the game has 'aged'.  The lack of a map option (one I believe Pale has complained about as well) has always seemed kinda weak to me - the game is *small*.  Very *small*.  Like, it can easily be beaten within 1 1/2 hours by an average player.

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GB-GBC/MetroidII-ReturnOfSamus-SR388.png

It's super small.  There's no need for a map, here.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
Considering you have to backtrack through areas that all look the same, searching for Metroids many of which look the same, the lack of any indicator of where you've been, what you've collected, and what you've defeated is a pretty big detriment. It doesn't really matter what size the game is, I wouldn't want to beat it in a single sitting and it's very difficult to pick it back up again later due to the lack of direction.

The game has other issues, which I'll get into if the game is picked.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
There's not a whole lot of back tracking - with a few minor exceptions, the game is actually fairly linear.  I dunno - maybe I'm just able to piece the flow of the game together better, making a mental-map in my head or something.  I was never deterred by the lack of a map.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

Bionic Commando is pretty much the same game as the NES game and the recent remake.

I disagree.  Yeah the original gameboy version is essentially the NES version and Rearmed is a HD version of the NES game.  But the Gameboy Color game is quite different.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
I voted Bionic Commando, I absolutely love the music in the GBC version!
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Have you always italicized the titles of games, TJ, or is that just something you recently started doing?

I started doing it a couple of weeks ago, for the same reason you stated (I think it looks nicer).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Went with Metroid 2 because it's such an interesting "in-between" title for the series, and introduces a LOT of modern elements. However, I'd be perfectly happy with Bionic Commando: Elite Forces because it's SUCH A GOOD GAME and it would give me an excuse to track down and buy again.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
If anyone is wondering what Pokemon Pinball is doing on this list, maybe this will help explain things: it is one of my most-played games of all time. I must have put at least 100 hours into it, often in stretches of 3-5 hours each. There's something special about a pinball game that can keep my interest that way, and I think it's the collecting psychology of Pokemon being integrated so well.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
I've never played Metroid 2 before, but I've heard a lot about it and I've always wanted to give it a try.  I would pick up that game to play along for this Retro Active, so  I voted for Metroid 2.

Jonny...which ever game wins, please give an extra week or two for the play through since unlike the traditional Retro Active, we can't just download these games on the Virtual Console.  We have to wait for the mail man to bring them from eBay, which could take as long as 10 days.  I'd hate to buy a game only to have it arrive after the discussion is complete.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:17:16 PM by Jet Pilot »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
There are also local game stores that sell handheld games, I think only BC: EF might be hard to find.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
Quote from: Jonnyboy117 link=topic=30997.msg598630#msg598630   date=1270359464
Additional Notes:

Second, we have already   covered a Zelda game (Adventure of Link) on RetroActive.

We did do a Super Metroid Retrospective...

Honestly, I'm all out of Metroid.  Wario Land 3 sounds good, so I voted for that, but Ghost Babel is intriguing.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:38 AM »

I started doing it a couple of weeks ago, for the same reason you stated (I think it looks nicer).
Many articles italicize the names of movies, books, games, etc., to ensure the reader knows that it is a title.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:09 AM »
NWR should team up with Goozex as the official Retroactive sponsor.

I'm not a member of Goozex (since I don't tend to sell/trade off any of my precious Nintendo horde), but they recently added many older systems, including the NES, SNES and the Game Boy!

http://www.goozex.com/trading/games/240137-Metroid_II_Return_of_Samus-Game_Boy

Metroid II is worth 300 points (~$15 from my understanding of their points system).

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:21 AM »
We'll definitely leave time for everyone (including ourselves) to acquire the winning game. I may have to ask my mom to rummage through the attic for something.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »

I am going to try and participate this time depending on my ability to acquire said game.  I was kind of hoping for a Donkey Kong 94 option or Kid Icarus (gameboy) since I just picked them up.   Looks like I need to cast a vote.....I have never played Wario so maybe I'll go that route.
<BR>

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
easy poll this time, i'll vote for what I want and something I think will be great to hear.

Metroid 2.

This will be a great discussion before Another M releases, and It's a very good game that holds up. About 6 years ago I played through it and really enjoyed it even though it can be very confusing. The last boss was seriously difficult

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 02:33:27 AM »
Sigh. Looks like Metroid II: Return of Samus is the next game. Sigh...

In the likely event that the predictable option wins, I'll be skipping this RetroActive. A friend of mine owns Metroid II, but I have no appetite whatsoever to borrow it again.

I will continue to hold out hope that people will see sense and re-vote for Wario Land III.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
They are all great games. Remember that the runner-up (maybe two of them) will return in a future Second Chance poll. I am not going to comment on the current results, but keep in mind that people do vote without posting in the thread. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
Huzzah! A Game Boy poll! I'm such a nerd for portables. For Ghost Babel too, since that was my first request on Radio Trivia. The game has a great deal versatility to it, with all the best things about 8 and 32 bit Metal Gear games and none of the cutscenes. Really I'd play this again just for the VR Training scenarios.

Fingers crossed it makes it to the 2nd chance poll at least. Metroid 2 is a solid game as well. There is just too much gold on this list
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
In the likely event that the predictable option wins, I'll be skipping this RetroActive. A friend of mine owns Metroid II, but I have no appetite whatsoever to borrow it again.
Aw come on, I think we need more contrasting opinions for this RetroActive. So far, it seems I'm the only one who doesn't like the game.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
Another reason I would like Pokémon Pinball to win is that the Pokemon series surprisingly doesn't get a lot of discussion on the podcast. The Metroid series got a whole podcast just for it (which I disagrees with since that month had a much more important anniversary than the 15th anniversary of Super Metroid, it was also the 20th anniversary of the Game Boy).

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
Not sure how you can NOT like Metroid 2, especially if you've played Super Metroid. It's like the Australipithicus to Super Metroid's Homo.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
Spike, I wanted to do something for the gameboy at the time. Then again, I'm also all for Wario III. I also thin the designation of Prime as our game of the decade was absurd.

Maybe I'm just a hater...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Another reason I would like Pokémon Pinball to win is that the Pokemon series surprisingly doesn't get a lot of discussion on the podcast. The Metroid series got a whole podcast just for it (which I disagrees with since that month had a much more important anniversary than the 15th anniversary of Super Metroid, it was also the 20th anniversary of the Game Boy).

For the last time, we did not go forward with a Super Metroid special because we thought its anniversary was more important than the Game Boy's. As momentous as the Game Boy's 20th anniversary was, unfortunately in the case of three of us (myself, Jonny, and Lindy) we didn't own  Nintendo portables until the late 90s at the earliest, and so we were sorely underqualified as a group to do the occasion justice. James and TYP, who have considerable portable gaming knowledge and experience , recorded a Radio Trivia Game Boy special that was vastly superior to anything we could have done for it on RFN.

On the other hand, Super Metroid is a title that we (with the exception of James) shared high regard for and a deep connection with, so it seemed like a topic we could do something special with as a group. There was also a certain element of natural selection involved--while I did extensive preparation for the Super Metroid feature weeks in advance of the anniversary date, James merely proposed that we scrap all that when he realised the Game Boy anniversary was less than a week away, without having done any work at all.     
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:43:01 PM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
^^^ What he said.

By the way, Retronauts did a very good episode for the Game Boy anniversary, while they completely ignored Super Metroid. We didn't plan it out that way, but it worked out very nicely.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
While I don't agree with the characterization, I'm amused that that incident brings up such harsh feelings. I'd like to point out that I made an effort to produce a site feature and realized I want going to have sufficient staff support to pull it off.

The reason I want Wario Land III is that its a unique character in the stable, but I'm kind of starting to lean to Ghost Babble because we haven't done anything like it prior.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
I was disappointed that the GB Anniversary feature didn't stay alive, though I don't remember seeing anything past the initial email proposal. I would've happily written about half that feature given the games listed, and I distinctly remember offering to. Perhaps it's something we can still do in the future.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
You did. And thanks for that. There were some "volunteers please" calls.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Revival?!?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
I was disappointed that the GB Anniversary feature didn't stay alive, though I don't remember seeing anything past the initial email proposal. I would've happily written about half that feature given the games listed, and I distinctly remember offering to.

I distinctly remember this happening as well, and I believe I even started writing something about DK '94, but then it just got dropped.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
Wario Land 3 is one of the best games ever. But I could see one of these not-as-good-but still-good games (sorry, face it) as being more interesting to talk about on RetroActive.
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
Why wait for even years? Do a 'Game Boy Becomes Game Man: Now It Can Legally Drink In The US!' feature where you celebrate it's 21st year.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 04:00:22 AM »
Not sure how you can NOT like Metroid 2, especially if you've played Super Metroid. It's like the Australipithicus to Super Metroid's Homo.
If it is picked, I will gladly explain. :)

Too bad there are no Mega Man games on the list, I need an excuse to track down III, IV, and V.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:59 AM »
I'm voting for Wario Land III because, as TYP demonstrated, it is held in the very highest regard for portable games of the GB/GBC era. An interesting side note is that Wario Land III was developed by Nintendo R&D1, the creators of Metroid and also the developers of Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission. Metroid II, however, was developed by Intelligent Systems, best known for the Famicom/Advance Wars games and Fire Emblem. The two studios have also split the development duties on the WarioWare games, with Intelligent Systems being responsible for Touched and the recent DIY, I believe.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
That makes sense. Wario Land III has some exploratory elements to it not unlike a Metroid game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »
Why wait for even years? Do a 'Game Boy Becomes Game Man: Now It Can Legally Drink In The US!' feature where you celebrate it's 21st year.

I was thinking a feature could be done with the 3DS comes out about the history of Nintendo handhelds. ;)

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
I don't want to sidetrack this discussion any more, but I do have the dusty old plans got the GB feature. Once I finish the one I'm on (which is really just waiting for Neal's DSiWare feature. You all should be reading that, btw) I have three in the works behind it. It is #2 at the moment, but I'm willing to shift it based on need.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »
"Wario Land 3" all the way! It's so great!

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
A year ago my pal handed me a working Game Boy. I then went out to hunt for Metroid 2 and now I know why all of that had to happen. Make it so!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
I've changed my vote to Wario Land 3, considering it's the only game I'd like to hear about that has any chance of winning this poll.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
Vudu is dead to me.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
Metroid's been discussed to death.  In fact, I'm surprised it's even included in this poll since Jonny made it clear that he wanted to steer the direction of the polls towards games most people haven't played before.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
Wario Land 3 is a great game. I might even play it again if it doesn't win (don't let that dissuade you from voting for it!). Hopefully the 3DS will include a VC feature so we can do these more often-the selection of GB games is so huge!
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Metroid's been discussed to death.  In fact, I'm surprised it's even included in this poll since Jonny made it clear that he wanted to steer the direction of the polls towards games most people haven't played before.

I wonder how many on here have played Metroid II but not played Wario Land 3.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
Metroid II was the first Metroid game I ever played, and I hated it. Now that I've become a fan of the series it'd be interesting to try it again. Unfortunately, I have no means of playing Game Boy games; I was recently bidding on a Classic NES GBA SP, but I lost.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
Metroid II was the first Metroid game I ever played, and I hated it. Now that I've become a fan of the series it'd be interesting to try it again. Unfortunately, I have no means of playing Game Boy games; I was recently bidding on a Classic NES GBA SP, but I lost.

As cool as the design for that is, you'd be better of getting a SP+ with the improved screen.  It's the best portable for GB/GBC/GBA games.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »

Where and by whom has it been discussed to death? I feel confident in saying that Metroid II is the least played game in that series, and moreover, it might actually be even more a departure than Fusion.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:14 AM »
Games mentioned once seem to become classified as 'talked about to death'. Every poll seems to have one title that is accused of such.
My Game Collection

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:18 AM »

Where and by whom has it been discussed to death? I feel confident in saying that Metroid II is the least played game in that series, and moreover, it might actually be even more a departure than Fusion.

Not to play Devil's Advocate or anything but you guy's were discussing it back in Januaryish 2009. I don't think the other games had come up much at all.
Looking at the list again Pinball might be an interesting talk if nothing then becasue I gave that a try for the first time a few months back just looking for another decent pinball game for GBA. It seemed kinda shallow at the time, but knowing Nintendo I probably just wasn't looking hard enough at it. (Or I've just been playing Pinball of the Dead too long and am forever tainted)
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
vudu always complains about RetroActive. I think the only time he was truly happy is when we played Ninja Spirit (a game he championed all the way). And I actually like Ninja Spirit, but it was pretty shallow for RetroActive.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
I remember listening to that podcast. You all seemed to have similar opinions that it was a good/decent game but pretty short and not much to talk about (meaning it is a terrible choice to talk about to RetroActive).

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

Metroid has been discussed to death.  And while Metroid II isn't exactly the same as the other games in the series, it's close enough that I feel like I've had my fill.

vudu always complains about RetroActive. I think the only time he was truly happy is when we played Ninja Spirit (a game he championed all the way). And I actually like Ninja Spirit, but it was pretty shallow for RetroActive.

What can I say--I like to complain.  ;D

Maybe my problem is I don't view the purpose of RetroActive the same way others do.  I don't look at it as an excuse to replay my favorite games.  I like to think of it as a way to discover and discuss games I'm not familiar with.  Besides Ninja Spirit, I also really enjoyed the RetroActives on Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts and Shining Force II (two games I've never played before) as well as Luigi's Mansion and Secret of Mana (both of which I had only played once before a long time ago).

I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid but I've played all these games before and I've read/listened to/discussed pretty much everything there is about them--I just don't feel like anyone here going to be able to say much about these game that hasn't been said before.  (Except for the part about the Goombas in Super Mario World--I'm still floored that I managed to go 18 years without learning that the walking crab-apples were actually Goombas.)

Again, sorry if I seem like a prick--it's honestly not my intent.  I love the idea of the feature but I've been a little let down by the selections we've made.  I think we'd get more interesting selections if you stopped polling us and just chose the games between the 4 of you.   Or maybe switched off every other time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I was let down by Ninja Spirit and Ghosts N Goblins too, so I have to agree vudu, some of the choices have been terrible.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Maybe we can have an 'RFN host's choice' RA from time to time where they do pick the game for us. They already do it sometimes like with Geist. Granted that was for a special reason but I have no problem with them occasionally choosing the title for us. Though the whole nomination/voting part of the feature is very fun for me. If I remember it was the RA feature that got me to finally join the forums because I wanted to have a say in the games that were selected and possibly have my comments read on the air. Participation like that is fun.

I was let down by Ninja Spirit and Ghosts N Goblins too, so I have to agree vudu, some of the choices have been terrible.

The way you were trying to strong arm my vote in the Ninja Spirit poll was rather funny in retrospect, GP. I felt like a store clerk talking to someone in the mafia offering me 'protection' if I went along with your opinion ;)

Not to mention the guilt tripping you tried to give me. You almost changed my mind too.
My Game Collection

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
I mean, we're not all gonna love the same games. I really couldn't stand all the Shining Force 2 discussion, but I recognized that it's just not my kind of game. I'm sure other listeners were loving it.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
We would have to rotate who gets to pick, because there is no way on EARTH we could ever agree on anything.

It might be interesting if we were tasked with finding an obscure game in an area (be it a system, a developer, an era, a genre, etc) that we are deemed an "expert" in. We could open the floor to "who should pick, and under what parameter."

For example, vudu could suggest the following: "I want Jon to pick any game from the Hoop and Stick Entertainment System, since that's what he grew up with."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Are you kidding? Jon lived through the K-T extinction. After that sh*t, they had to make up brand NEW games.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
I voted for WL3, not because I'm lame (I am, but it's not the reason I voted for WL), but because I've never completed it back in the day.

How expensive or hard to find is Gargoyle's Quest? I would have loved to see that game in the poll. Actually I expected more 3rd party games on there, and Gargoyle's Quest is not only really good, it's also short, giving everyone a chance to actually finish it before discussing it.

Oh well...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I like Gargoyle's Quest, but Demon's Crest (SNES) is much better. I would love to discuss that one on the show, especially if it ever comes to Virtual Console. (Why the hell hasn't it already?)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
Revival?!?

I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick. The classic GB is where I got my gaming start, and some of the most memorable titles I have played are on that system. Since I am a lowly reader perhaps I can be the Anurognathus to the staff's Diplodocus :P
Bless you, my child.

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »
Maybe my problem is I don't view the purpose of RetroActive the same way others do.  I don't look at it as an excuse to replay my favorite games.  I like to think of it as a way to discover and discuss games I'm not familiar with.

And how many here have actually played Metroid II?  Probably not many.

I've got my copy on the way from eBay ($10 including shipping).  If I have to replace the battery then it will be another $5.  I hope Metroid II wins obviously, but if not, at least I will have a game that I've always wanted to try but just never had the chance.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Did greybrick just try to win me over with Mesozoic Morrison references?

He did. And he did.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »
Did greybrick just try to win me over with Mesozoic Morrison references?

He did. And he did.

It's all part of my secret plan to take over the world. You will know the next phase is complete when one Mr. Jon Lindemann is mysteriously absent from RFN. I kid  ;)

But seriously, GB feature! Now that I know it exists out there in the ether I will pester until it is resurrected.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick.
Ha ha, is your name really "greybrick" because of the Game Boy? I totally didn't make that connection.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick.
Ha ha, is your name really "greybrick" because of the Game Boy? I totally didn't make that connection.
Yep, that is the reason! Not my real name, of course. It was the first piece of gaming I ever touched, and for a very long time I exclusively owned game boys and nothing else... until late into the gamecube's life if you would believe it.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
Graybrick, I like you.  Not like that...unless your, to quote a funhaus meme, "a hot chick."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
Graybrick, I like you.  Not like that...unless your, to quote a funhaus meme, "a hot chick."

I suppose that as far as bearded and deep-voiced males in their early twenties go that I would rank more as a "medium chick."
Though I am not.... how do you say... "gaybrick."

Either way, you're not my type  ;)

Bless you, my child.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
I like Gargoyle's Quest, but Demon's Crest (SNES) is much better. I would love to discuss that one on the show, especially if it ever comes to Virtual Console. (Why the hell hasn't it already?)
Years ago, I posted on Capcom's forums asking that exact question, and that Svensson guy's reply was basically "That would be awesome, but it's out of our hands because Nintendo is the one making the decisions and the idea would have to come from them". I'm paraphrasing, despite the quotation marks.

I'm pretty sure he was BSing me, because that doesn't make any sense.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
Makes sense to me. It means that Nintendo is the one calling the shots as to what is being put on VC.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 03:57:07 PM »
I still wonder if it's Nintendo's fault or Midway's fault that the Mortal Kombat games have not appeared on the VC. Back in March 2007 Midway confirmed that the Mortal Kombat games would be released on the VC. It's been over three years and no Midway games have appeared since then (in fact, very few games from western publishers have appeared).

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
Makes sense to me. It means that Nintendo is the one calling the shots as to what is being put on VC.
The way he phrased it, though, it sounded like Capcom couldn't even submit the game for consideration. He wasn't saying "Nintendo gets the last say on this", but "Nintendo has to come to us and ask us to put Demon's Crest up on Wiiware".

Anyway, I tried to look for the post but it has long been deleted off their forums.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
I still wonder if it's Nintendo's fault or Midway's fault that the Mortal Kombat games have not appeared on the VC. Back in March 2007 Midway confirmed that the Mortal Kombat games would be released on the VC. It's been over three years and no Midway games have appeared since then (in fact, very few games from western publishers have appeared).

With respect to the MK license, it was my understanding that as of last year that has been in Warner Bros.' hands.

But of course, Nintendo has yet to release titles that they hold the licenses to that fans have been demanding. All this on a distribution platform that they would certainly make back what little money they put in to the emulation.

More importantly, where is my GB virtual console! I may be a sad individual, but I want, nay, need to play Link's Awakening on my DSi XL! For those of you that say it would look bad- I enjoy playing that game on my big LCD screen anyways.
Bless you, my child.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
With respect to the MK license, it was my understanding that as of last year that has been in Warner Bros.' hands.

I'm actually aware of this. There was still a 2 1/2 year period that Midway had. Hopefully Time Warner realizes how much easy money there is by releasing Midway IP's on the Virtual Console (just releasing the games in the three Midway Arcade Treasures releases would add about 50 games to the VC). I am still stunned Midway didn't do this to help their financial situation. I don't think it would have stopped them from being bankrupt, but it might have kept them afloat a little longer.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »

I'm actually aware of this. There was still a 2 1/2 year period that Midway had. Hopefully Time Warner realizes how much easy money there is by releasing Midway IP's on the Virtual Console (just releasing the games in the three Midway Arcade Treasures releases would add about 50 games to the VC). I am still stunned Midway didn't do this to help their financial situation. I don't think it would have stopped them from being bankrupt, but it might have kept them afloat a little longer.

They did end up going under, so a lack of smart decision making doesn't surprise me all that much. But a missed opportunity? Definitely.
Bless you, my child.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
Metroid II: Return of Samus won? Ugh. If I find a cheap copy, I might join in. I don't have much interest in the game, I will look forward to listening to the podcast though.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos Wario Land and dropped off Metroid II to do it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Metroid II: Return of Samus won? Ugh. If I find a cheap copy, I might join in. I don't have much interest in the game, I will look forward to listening to the podcast though.

It's a good game, but I think that some of the others might have been more interesting to talk about.  Oh well - since I played through Metroid II earlier this year maybe I'll have a few comments to throw in.

Playing through Zelda: Link's Awakening now makes me wish that game could've been chosen instead though - it's truly excellent and stands up better today as a gaming experience IMO.  Link's Awakening has blown away my expectations with the many subtle details, humorous touches, and sometimes unusual gameplay.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
 :(

Well, I guess I can take part by throwing in negative opinions of the game from time to time. Not ideal, but the people have spoken.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:15:48 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
At one point (about a day after I posted the front-page poll link), Wario Land 3 was within two votes of Metroid II. I thought it might catch up or at least stay close behind, but Metroid pulled away in the final couple of days.

I abstained, by the way.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
At one point (about a day after I posted the front-page poll link), Wario Land 3 was within two votes of Metroid II. I thought it might catch up or at least stay close behind, but Metroid pulled away in the final couple of days.

Voter fraud!  ;D

Serious question:  We have a lot of spambots and spiders who frequent this board (just look at the birthday list on the bottom of the front page).  Is it possible that some script they're running could accidentally vote for the first option of the poll (Metroid II)?  Just curious.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
I would have loved to see the Metal Gear gameboy game win, but Metroid is good too. I think I know where I can get a copy as well
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
I think I'll play Metroid 2 on my Super Gameboy.  It's been years since I've busted that out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
For those of you who wanted to play Wario Land 3, would you like to start our own discussion about the game? Sure it won't be official or appear on a podcast, but we can still play and discuss the game.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »
I'd rather wait to see if it winds a runner-up poll, Mop_it_up. I'm surprised by how much of a landslide Metroid 2 won by.
Nintendo World Report

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really think Wario Land 2 is vastly superior to Wario Land 3.  Maybe it was because I played them back to back, but I kinda didn't like WL3 after loving WL2.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
I love 'em both, but WL3 is the more tightly designed game.
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
Wario Land 3 will definitely be in the next Second Chance poll in a few months.

I love WL2 as well, and it has a distinct feel from any other game in the series. It feels like you can bust through nearly any wall and explore absolutely everywhere. While perhaps liberating, it also means you have to be exhaustive to find all the secret levels. WL3 provides better clues as to where to look for secrets.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
I think I'll play Metroid 2 on my Super Gameboy.  It's been years since I've busted that out.

Oh! Great idea! I'll do the same.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
My Super Game Boy doesn't work very well, so I might have to use the Game Boy Player and its preset colour schemes. That is, if I play the game, which I haven't yet decided on.

There's no doubt that Wario Land 3 is the technically superior game, but Wario Land II has more enjoyable gameplay. I loved searching for treasure and scraping up every last coin I could find, but Wario Land 3 doesn't have that. There isn't even an incentive to not get hit by enemies since there's no penalty in the form of losing coins. It's actually more like a Metroid game, where you have to revisit areas when you learn new moves. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it does make the game less like a platformer, which makes it less enjoyable for me.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
I agree that Wario Land 2 is a superior game. There are far too many instances in Wario Land 3 of having do a sequence of events exactly right to get the treasure or whatever else. There are some really frustrating moments in that game for me.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
I agree that Wario Land 2 is a superior game. There are far too many instances in Wario Land 3 of having do a sequence of events exactly right to get the treasure or whatever else. There are some really frustrating moments in that game for me.

Yeah I remember being very frustrated at parts in the game.

Oh! Great idea! I'll do the same.

I realize many people are still somewhat far away from even getting the game.  But I just finished my playthough.  I'll wait for the thread to talk specifically about the game, but I just wanted to post about some technical stuff.

I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).  I also played some on my GBA SP+.  Not only did it look nice and crisp, but it actually has a bit better color output. 

Both have hooks for the game so they start up without having to mess around to find something that works.  But the Super Gameboy only has the four color setup.  Samus is her traditional red and yellow, which means basically everything is red and yellow.  Then there's a black outline for everything and a blueish-green background (which I like to change to black).

However, the GBA has a few more colors.  Samus is red and yellow with a dark red outline, but the environment sprites are two shades of blue with some white thrown in and there's a black background.  The separation of the moving sprites and the background sprites is very nice.

I don't have my Gamecube hooked up and my sister has my Gameboy Player so I can't try it out.  But it looks like it has the same setup as the GBA.  So it looks like that's the one to go with if you want to play on a TV.  Otherwise a GBA SP+ is your best bet if you want portable.  If I can get my GB Player from my sister I may go through again to try and find those two missile upgrades I missed. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »
I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).

Keep in mind, if you have an SNES-mini, you can't use the S-Video cable with it.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
I moronically sold my GC and Game Boy Player when I was trying to fund the Wii.

*headdesk*

I really miss my Game Boy Player. And my GameCube.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
How could you ever do such a horrible thing.  I'm going to go hug each of my five GameCubes with Game Boy Players right now.

Monster.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »
However, the GBA has a few more colors.  Samus is red and yellow with a dark red outline, but the environment sprites are two shades of blue with some white thrown in and there's a black background.  The separation of the moving sprites and the background sprites is very nice.

I don't have my Gamecube hooked up and my sister has my Gameboy Player so I can't try it out.  But it looks like it has the same setup as the GBA.
The Game Boy Color displays original Game Boy games using up to ten different colours, so it is true that games will look better on them since the Super Game Boy displays only four colours. Its advantage is that you get to choose those colours, instead of choosing a preset. Since the Game Boy Advance (and Game Boy Player) use actual GBC hardware to run Game Boy games, they also offer the same colour schemes as the Game Boy Colour.

It doesn't matter to me though, as I tend to choose black and white for Game Boy games. They just don't look right with only a few colours.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
The Game Boy Color displays original Game Boy games using up to ten different colours, so it is true that games will look better on them since the Super Game Boy displays only four colours. Its advantage is that you get to choose those colours, instead of choosing a preset. Since the Game Boy Advance (and Game Boy Player) use actual GBC hardware to run Game Boy games, they also offer the same colour schemes as the Game Boy Colour.

It doesn't matter to me though, as I tend to choose black and white for Game Boy games. They just don't look right with only a few colours.

I remember playing some games where I'd change the colors basically every level.  I loved messing around with them to see what would look best with the limited palette. 

I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).

Keep in mind, if you have an SNES-mini, you can't use the S-Video cable with it.

Yeah I have an original SNES.  Being someone who regularly goes back and plays old games, I've actually researched the best cables available for each system.  Also I feel very stupid for not knowing the entire time I used my GB Player that it could play GB and GBC games.  For some reason I thought it only played GBA games.  I probably read some misinformation online and never looked into it again.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2010, 12:44:38 AM »
Oh that's right, I have an SNES and a Super Game Boy!

I am SO playing Metroid II with the "recommended colors" from the Super Game Boy guide.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2010, 12:47:19 AM »
Oh that's right, I have an SNES and a Super Game Boy!

I am SO playing Metroid II with the "recommended colors" from the Super Game Boy guide.

Isn't Metroid II an enchanced SGB Game - meaning it has a special built-in pallet just for the SGB that features more than four colors?

Yeah I have an original SNES.  Being someone who regularly goes back and plays old games, I've actually researched the best cables available for each system.  Also I feel very stupid for not knowing the entire time I used my GB Player that it could play GB and GBC games.  For some reason I thought it only played GBA games.  I probably read some misinformation online and never looked into it again.

I've always found it weird that every time Nintendo of America released a revised version of a system, they removed the "upgraded" video output option.  The Top Loader NES removed composite audio/video, the SNES-mini removed S-Video and the -101 GameCubes removed component video. :(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2010, 12:49:38 AM »
Unless Metroid II received a Super Game Boy enhanced re-release, it doesn't have a special colour scheme.

The Top Loader NES removed composite audio/video, the SNES-mini removed S-Video and the -101 GameCubes removed component video. :(
Later versions of N64 hardware also aren't able to be modded with an RGB out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
Unless Metroid II received a Super Game Boy enhanced re-release, it doesn't have a special colour scheme.

Quick search shows that the game isn't SGB enhanced - but the SGB itself was programmed with a special pallet just for Metroid II (a few other games had special pallets programmed into the SGB for them as well).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Quick search shows that the game isn't SGB enhanced - but the SGB itself was programmed with a special pallet just for Metroid II (a few other games had special pallets programmed into the SGB for them as well).

Quite a number of Game Boy games had special enhancements (sometimes more than just a limited color palette) when played on a Super Game Boy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games

Nice that Nintendo did so much for the Super Game Boy considering that it cost more than the Game Boy itself and that Game Boy sales had dropped significantly by that point.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
I won't be able to play this time around but I want to hear what everybody has to say about Metroid 2:Return of Samus.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.