Poll

Which NES game should RFN crew and listeners play for the next RetroActive feature?

Wrecking Crew
3 (9.4%)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
9 (28.1%)
StarTropics
9 (28.1%)
Mega Man 3
4 (12.5%)
River City Ransom
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 14, 2009, 01:50:06 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #6 Poll - NES  (Read 23624 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #6 Poll - NES
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »
All these games are available on Virtual Console in the Americas (and should be in Europe/Australia and Japan, as well).

Poll results will not be visible until voting ends on the morning of Thursday, May 14th.  Until then, please feel free to use this thread for lobbying for your favorite game.  If you're not sure about your vote, read below for advice from other gamers!

*Note: Due to the new polling format, second-place games will not move on to the next round, as a different console platform will be featured.  However, games with significant support will be considered for a "second chance" poll to take place every fifth game.  (The next such poll will be for RetroActive #10.)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #6 Poll - NES
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:42:59 PM »
I'm horribly disappointed Zelda II was chosen over the original.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out gracefully from this RetroActive.  I've recently played Zelda II, Mega Man III and River City Ransom and I have no desire to play the others.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »
Wrecking Crew was my nomination so I guess I should lobby for that.  It's a puzzle platformer game that got lost in all the other games that featured Mario.  It seems to be somewhat similar to a game like Toki Tori.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:32:37 AM »

In features of this type in other podcasts, it's been noted that there's really not a whole lot to discuss when picking a universally loved game like Zelda I.  You go around the room saying "Yep, this part was awesome" and that's that  With Zelda II, there's a much richer discussion to be had.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:40:48 AM »
Hmm, too many good choices this season.

I'm leaning strongest towards StarTropics since I never played it and considered getting it a while back.

I'm also interested in River City Ransom and Zelda 2.

Decisions, decisions.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
This is my kind of poll, I own 4 of the 5 on the VC and the 5th is on my maybe list.

In features of this type in other podcasts, it's been noted that there's really not a whole lot to discuss when picking a universally loved game like Zelda I.  You go around the room saying "Yep, this part was awesome" and that's that  With Zelda II, there's a much richer discussion to be had.

Shouldn't this also eliminate Mega Man 3?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:24 AM »
I put down River City Ransom. Awesome little brawler that is awesome. Very detailed Brawler too. 

Plus it has an awesome alternative version called Pussy City Pimps.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:53 AM »

Yeah, I honestly don't think there's a whole lot that can be said on any one particular Mega Man game.  It's a platform shooter.  They're all almost exactly the same. 

So, yeah, probably.  Except that like Zelda II, it's not the obvious choice - that would go to Mega Man 2.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Aw, no Kirby's Adventure. Looks like that game will continue to go under-appreciated, and what's worse is that a crap game like Wrecking Crew beat it out.

Anyways, I voted for Zelda II. It's probably the most unique Zelda game, and even back before Zelda was an established series people still complained about the changes. It seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" affairs.

Also, the title is "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link". Please amend this before I pull out my beautiful hair.

I'm not that interested in the other stuff.
Wrecking Crew: This game is garbage, I can't believe somebody nominated it.
StarTropics: The terrible controls ruin the game for me.
Mega Man 3: Played it too much, not really in the mood for that again.
River City Ransom: Only one I don't own. Might buy it if it's cheap.

So, yeah, probably.  Except that like Zelda II, it's not the obvious choice - that would go to Mega Man 2.
Considering it is still argued today which is better, 2 or 3, I'd say that's debatable. The least popular would probably be Mega Man 6.

Poll results will not be visible until voting ends on the morning of Thursday, May 14th.
For some reason I can see the poll results.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:25 AM »
Yeah, the results are visible, Jonny. Makes me happy, I like watching them.

I voted for StarTropics.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:18 AM »
I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that Mega Man 2 is not the hands down best NES Mega Man.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »
For me, it's either Zelda II or RCR. Now I just have to figure out which one I'd like to play more...
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
Aw, no Kirby's Adventure. Looks like that game will continue to go under-appreciated...

Wrecking Crew: This game is garbage, I can't believe somebody nominated it.

I got Kirby's Adventure on VC since I never really played a Kirby game before.  I thought it was really good, surprisingly difficult at times, but the levels weren't terribly interesting. 

I nominated Wrecking Crew because it's one of the few NES games on VC that aren't the big name titles everyone knows and loves.  Plus I checked a few sites and it got fairly good reviews.  I don't expect it to win the poll, but it seems like an interesting game I'm sure not to many people have played.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
I voted for Wrecking Crew because it's the only one I haven't played.  (On a side note, I've just been informed that they're going to be playing the Real Life version upstairs later today with jackhammers.  Joy!)

Not that that'll make a difference, since I haven't yet managed to find the time to participate in any of these.  But I want to!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »
Result visibility has been fixed -- that option was apparently reset when I was fine-tuning the poll expiration time.  Sorry, poll watching junkies, but I think this kind of blind campaigning is more productive and more about the games themselves than "vote for this, it's almost tied".

I had some tough choices when making this poll, as there were many good nominations, and the VC selection of NES games is impressive.  As DrewMG noted, Zelda II just seemed like a more interesting choice than the original one, which is universally loved.  I originally had SMB: Lost Levels, but while it may be interesting, it would also be another brutal game following SGnG.  So I replaced Lost Levels with Mega Man 3; I agree it is almost too beloved for this feature, but it was nominated multiple times and has some interesting elements (sliding, Proto Man, stage remixes, comparisons to MM2).  Wrecking Crew is one of the most obscure first-party NES games, so it seemed like a good choice -- I have no idea whether the game is fun, but this would be a good chance to find out.  StarTropics is a unique game that should have more exposure, and it's a personal favorite of mine.  River City Ransom is a cult classic with some very interesting hybrid gameplay, as well as a full cooperative mode.

Just be glad I didn't nominate Milon's Secret Castle.  (Maybe next time!)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that those of us playing at home would have to suffer through Zelda II!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that those of us playing at home would have to suffer through Zelda II!

Zelda II > Zelda I

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Off-topic:  Is your user name taken from Godzilla or the French, death metal band?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »
I've narrowed it down to Wrecking Crew and River City Ransom, but I can't decide. I'm leaning toward RCR because, while they're both awesome, I don't know how much discussion you can really get out of Wrecking Crew.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
I nominated Wrecking Crew because it's one of the few NES games on VC that aren't the big name titles everyone knows and loves.  Plus I checked a few sites and it got fairly good reviews.  I don't expect it to win the poll, but it seems like an interesting game I'm sure not to many people have played.
Reviews from 1985, or from more recently? Looks can be deceiving: Enter The Matrix looked interesting and we all know how that game turned out (hint: garbage). There is a reason why many people haven't played it; because it is not a good game.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
That's a bigger catastrophe than the Kid Icarus recommendation.

Recommended for everyone who hates themselves.

Miyamoto took a dump, and out came Wrecking Crew.

EDIT: Am I becoming like a GameFAQs troll...?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:50:29 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
Reviews from 1985, or from more recently? Looks can be deceiving: Enter The Matrix looked interesting and we all know how that game turned out (hint: garbage). There is a reason why many people haven't played it; because it is not a good game.

Recent reviews from IGN and some VC specific review sites.  And I think that the reason not too many people have played it is because it got lost in the launch of 18 titles.  Plus "puzzle/platformer" has never been a popular genre. 

Off-topic:  Is your user name taken from Godzilla or the French, death metal band?

I've always loved Godzilla films, and I thought using the Japanese name would be cool. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »
And I think that the reason not too many people have played it is because it got lost in the launch of 18 titles.
I think you should play the game before deciding why few people have played it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »
That's a bigger catastrophe than the Kid Icarus recommendation.

Recommended for everyone who hates themselves.

Miyamoto took a dump, and out came Wrecking Crew.

EDIT: Am I becoming like a GameFAQs troll...?

I wasn't going to say anything but you had to go and insult Miyamoto which is something I will not stand for. Wrecking Crew is awesome, I'm 100% glad to have it as part of my VC library, and it's probably the best non-packed-in launch game for the NES. That having been said, I don't really think it would be good for this feature because I don't think there's much discussion to be had from it.

J.P. Corbran