Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #3: Eternal Darkness)  (Read 17023 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #3: Eternal Darkness)
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »
This thread is for discussion of RFN RetroActive game #3, Eternal Darkness (GCN).

Ooooh...scary!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #3: Eternal Darkness)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »
I still have my old save file where I beat the game three times in a row the get the final ending. I'm thinking about playing again off of that file because if I remember right it just loops back around if you start it a fourth time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »
So I played this for like 2 hours and got to some Amazon area with some chick, I then died. I hadn't saved at all yet, but I figured it wouldn't matter. But after I died it didn't give me any option to continue from where I was and I ended up going back to the title screen having to start from scratch.

Please tell me why I should start again in this pretty mediocre game, does it get better? Do I ignore the horrible gameplay to go through the story or what?

From what I've played I just don't get why this game was so well received.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I rented the game twice from Blockbuster Video back when it came out, but never manage to beat the game. From what I played though I enjoyed. The insanity effects were nice and pretty unique at the time.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
Then:  I bought Eternal Darkness on day 1 because I had eagerly anticipated a mature game coming to the Gamecube for some time.  And for me it really didn't disappoint.  I played through the game all three times back to back to back.  From what I remember it definitely had some artificial time padding issues at the end, but it's the only game I've ever played through multiple times in a row like that.

Now:  I've just played through the first couple of levels and I still really enjoy it.  I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to the insanity effects, but it's still fun.  The combat may be simple, but the ability to choose parts of the body to attack does keep it from being boring.  Alex Roivas is probably one of the better female characters in video games that never gets mentioned.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
I think it would be neat if we compare favorite playable characters since there are so many. Maybe have a vote or something. It would be a fun topic to have discussed on the podcast.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
I've got a bit of an interesting story involving this game. Almost the day this game was released, I purchased it for reasons I don't recall. Not once did I ever play it, and I ended up selling it last year. I had taken off the shrink wrap though, so I didn't get much for it.

This post fails because that was not really a story, nor was it interesting.
Perhaps the discussion which is taking place here will inform me of whether or not this is a game I would have enjoyed.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
It's a shame you didn't wait a year so you could still have it to play.
I've sold several games I regret now. In fact, every game I ever sold I regret selling for one reason or another. Especialy the Gamecube Harvest Moon. Both of my sisters (and therefore my Mom since they whined to her) were upset at me about that one.

Just remembered two I don't regret selling: Quest 64 and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. Those are it.
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »
Just a reminder -- we are taking next week off from doing RetroActive on the show, so you have plenty of time to play the game and discuss it here before we start sampling the thread for comments to be read on the show.  You could also consider this "time out for the new Puzzle Quest and/or Dragon Quest V".

Dasmos: I think you should give it another shot.  For one thing, playing through the first two hours can be somewhat different the second time, if you choose a different artifact in the first chapter.  And the game improves as you go, especially as the characters come from more modern and recognizable eras of history.  The magic (err... "magick") system turns out to be really interesting once you acquire a handful of runes for experimentation.  And the combat changes quite a lot once you start playing as characters with guns.  Just remember to save often!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
I agree with Jonny. Dasmos it gets better.Here are the 3 choices you get in the begining.Blue: When you start with Blue the enemys take away a little bit of your magic.This is actually easy to remidy.Just walk around for a while and your magic will return.Blue I find is the easiest.
Green: When the enemy hits you you lose some sanity.When the green bar is empty and you get hit you lose life.Also lots of weird things happen when the green bar is low.I find the Green path medium in difficulty.
RED:I find is the hardest to start on. Every hit you lose life. The enemys are tougher.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
I'm going to take the green path so I'll see more insanity effects.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
I was reading one of my NP and someone was hooking up a surround system.This person asked what was some good games that would sound nice with surround sound.
NP answered with F Zero GX and Eternal Darkness.For those that take the green path I recommend you hook up a surround sound set up.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
The sound really is a fantastic part of the game.  There's a character who has the same name as me (Michael).  And in his level you can hear it whispered in the background.  That is creepy as hell.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
My favorite scene in the entire game includes a bathtub...hehe.
My Game Collection

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
The bathtub scene really got me.  It was especially effective because I missed it the first time through.  I totally wasn't expecting it when it happened.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Every time I play this scene gets me. Even when I remember to expect it.
Probably as good as the Licker scene from RE2 in the police station interrogation room.
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
I remember that bathtub scene! It was really the only thing that startled me in the game, which was fine because I prefer psychological scares that creep you out more then "boo" scares like RE likes to do.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
Clearly one of my favorite games in the Gamecube era, in my save file I completed the game 3 times to get the secret ending and then I played a 4th time focusing on getting the "hidden" Mantorok rune. My favorite aspect of the game is how you play characters from the Roivas lineage to defeat the evil that the Roman Centurion unleashed upon the world, the final boss was awesome because it had a epic feeling once you saw the spirits of the dead helping you to defeat Pious. This game is one of the most satisfying games I have ever played and once I played Silicon Knight's first attempt at a Xbox 360 game I really felt depressed of how SK went from Eternal Darkness which is just amazing to Too Human which in my eyes is utterly mediocre and boring.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
I remember I picked up this game and I loved the insanity effects. I remember i was showing off the game  to some friends and they were not impressed. They liked chopping people up but found it boring than a famous insanity effect appeared. Blue screen of death  

My friends were screaming "this game sucks" and "gamecube sucks" they were overall shocked because major bug would be in the game. They were ready to reset the GAMECUBE than the insanity effect stopped. They all gasped and laughed at themselves because the game tricked them. All those friends at the time were hackers and this insanity effect really hit a nerve with them and they were seriously impressed. I tried to contain my laughter and play it cool because I knew it was an insanity effect.

The other insanity effect that really hit a nerve with my personally was Save date is being deleted .

I totally bought that was happening and seriously freaked out and jumped out of bed. Since Turok 2 I always was anal about things like that. Stupid save points that were so far between. I hated to die trying to get into a save point like I have done many times.

The final insanity effect that really got me going was spell not working and killing me That really angered me and was totally unexpected.

The rest of the insanity effects were pretty neato but I knew they were fake so I didn't buy them. I really enjoyed the game I just wish they had more replay value and longevity. The voice acting in the game is amazing FYI.

The professor reminded me allot of the one in TV show sliders and I liked it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »
Is the color scheme really necessary Adolph?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:39:13 AM »
Only if he's trying to simulate some sort of 3D glasses effect.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 07:17:32 AM »
I actually thought he was going for the colors of the ancients in the game, but there was no green nor purple.
Oh, Mantorok, great guardian of the Ancients, will thou ever have a new Eternal Darkness game, since you alone remain, slowly dying? Or are there other Ancients we have yet to see?
My Game Collection

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
I like the pretty colors. :)

May the rats eat your eyes!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
The darkness comes!

His level is probably one of my favorites in the game.
I need to read more Lovecraft.

It will damn us all!
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Whoo, I'm finally playing it!  The music is really great.  I jumped a little the first time a torch popped.

What do you all think of the Latin turning into English?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!