Author Topic: Madworld  (Read 109036 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Madworld
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
1. How'd they forget a block button? :p luckily the game starts simple so you don't need it but sometimes I wish I could block at least a few of those damn Bulls hits!

Block buttons in brawlers are like break buttons in racing games--if you use them you're not playing the game right.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
1. How'd they forget a block button? :p luckily the game starts simple so you don't need it but sometimes I wish I could block at least a few of those damn Bulls hits!

Block buttons in brawlers are like break buttons in racing games--if you use them you're not playing the game right.

QFT.

Is this game really getting negativity around here?  It's like a more inappropriate, more polished No More Heroes. HOW IS THIS BAD?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
I started off a little down on it, but I just finished up the main game and it just gets better and better.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »
So it's addicting?

That's worthy of mention when you consider the genre.

Secondly, I saw a commercial for MadWorld today and at the end there was writing that said "Exclusively For" skewed above the bowing Wii animation.

Weird.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
I saw some ads last night while watching the Lakers vs Spurs game.There was some during the Cavs vs Suns game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
The camera is okay, but really does nothing if someone is behind you. There is no quick turn around button (like in some RE games), so it could get a little hairy if you get surrounded.

There kinda is.  You can turn around no problem, but the camera won't follow you.  So after you turn, tap the C button and the camera will realign itself behind Jack.

Oh and played through Asian Town today.  I didn't want it to stop.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
awesome name, Godzilla.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #357 on: March 14, 2009, 03:35:22 PM »
The camera is okay, but really does nothing if someone is behind you. There is no quick turn around button (like in some RE games), so it could get a little hairy if you get surrounded.

There kinda is.  You can turn around no problem, but the camera won't follow you.  So after you turn, tap the C button and the camera will realign itself behind Jack.

Oh and played through Asian Town today.  I didn't want it to stop.

ahahahahaha that's great.  Snif is basically complaining that Zelda doesn't have a quick turn-around.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »

QFT.

Is this game really getting negativity around here?  It's like a more inappropriate, more polished No More Heroes. HOW IS THIS BAD?

You should ask IceCold.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 15, 2009, 12:00:31 AM »
IceCold likes F-zero GX and would kill for a new one.  He is excused.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »
Made it to the 3rd world (great opening commentary for that first Castle level, by the way) and...I can't believe it took me this long to realize Jack uses Tank Controls.  No wonder the game's felt so still.  Honestly...this game's getting a little tedious.  When I'm in a Madworld level, I want to be able to run around and explore and find all sorts of sadistic and cruel ways to massacre my prey... and now the game's throwing in cheap enemies who can one-shot me (and who I can't kill, but just render incapacitated for a few minutes) while the useless camera is pointing in the complete opposite direction when it's vital I see them (which would be just about always).  That lack of a highlight or indicator on or above objects you can interact with has slowly shifted from an unfortunate oversight to a major annoyance, especially now that enemies are a lot more plentiful and harder to kill off.  The in-game map is incredibly useless as well for finding those weapon boxes, and considering you can't pick your dificulty level I'm amazed at how rare extra lives are now (especially with one-shotters wandering around).  *sigh*

At least the story's picked up nicely and the boss battles have been pretty consistently awesome.  I'm kind of curious exactly how I killed that first boss in the 3rd world (I spent most of the fight killing his minions), but whatever.  The damn Drill Guy's getting obnoxious in the 2nd level.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »

QFT.

You should ask IceCold.

Seriously, all the NMH comparisons are scaring me. I'll probably rent this first.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

forgive me for wanting to deflect maybe the one attack that would've landed on me so i can continue to mercilessly beat down my opponents.

same goes for brakes in racing games. i guess its more fun to plow into a wall or run right over an item in MK that landed in front of me with only a split second reaction time that leaves simply turning a non-option.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 16, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »

forgive me for wanting to deflect maybe the one attack that would've landed on me so i can continue to mercilessly beat down my opponents.

same goes for brakes in racing games. i guess its more fun to plow into a wall or run right over an item in MK that landed in front of me with only a split second reaction time that leaves simply turning a non-option.

Well, you do have the Nunchuck dodge move to get away from that "one attack," but yeah a block move would have been nice.

Incidentally, I'm on level 5-2 now and this game's really frustrating me right now.  Apparently, the designers thought what better way to end a game with a lousy camera and a critical main attack controlled by motion control than a fracking...boss gauntlet!  What the hell is this, Mega Man?  And they only give you 2 lives to do it in and so far both of the ones I've taken on are well-stocked on cheap shots and flunkies.  I managed to make it to round 2, but got my ass handed to me by someone who should not have been present for that fight.  Fuuun...</sarcasm>

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #364 on: March 16, 2009, 01:54:37 AM »
You know Broodwars that Clover had that type of ending in some games that they made like Viewtiful Joe. Besides to be the best you have to beat the best.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »
You know Broodwars that Clover had that type of ending in some games that they made like Viewtiful Joe. Besides to be the best you have to beat the best.

Yeah, but that game was designed to do that well.  It was 2D, the bosses had some fairly simple patterns, and you could always see the area around you.  Madworld just isn't built to handle a proper boss gauntlet, especially with all the camera problems.  Hell, the random dificulty of the bosses has been bugging me all game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:06 AM »
Hmm that brings a question to my mind.Has there been a working Boss gauntlet in 3d before?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2009, 02:19:38 AM »
Hmm that brings a question to my mind.Has there been a working Boss gauntlet in 3d before?

The Zant fight in Twilight Princess? not a straightforward boss gauntlet, but close enough.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »

The Zant fight in Twilight Princess? not a straightforward boss gauntlet, but close enough.

Yeah, I was thinking about that one myself, though a better example would probably be the Gannon fight at the end of that game (because Zant's pitifully easy).  Still, I hate to put a Zelda game in that category because Zelda bosses are at the other end of that difficulty spectrum by being way too easy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 16, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »
Huh, actually I just thought of a good one: the final boss in Rogue Galaxy on the PS2.  You had to fight 7 one-on-one battles with different parts of the boss with each of your 7 party members.  It was actually pretty awesome...pity the ending royally sucked.  The final boss in Kingdom Hearts 2 might be a decent mention as well, with what...4 continuous battles?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:58 AM »
Still, I hate to put a Zelda game in that category because Zelda bosses are at the other end of that difficulty spectrum by being way too easy.

Someone needs to replay Zelda, Zelda 2, Links Awakening and Zelda: LTTP. Anyway the game seems to get better and better as it goes. Though the camera definitely needed more work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:25:54 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2009, 05:20:47 AM »
Still, I hate to put a Zelda game in that category because Zelda bosses are at the other end of that difficulty spectrum by being way too easy.

Someone needs to replay Zelda, Zelda 2, Links Awakening and Zelda: LTTP

I still can't beat certain boss characters in the original Zelda. Though it may be that I can't find half the dungeons in that game still to this day.

Back on the matter of Madworld, the more I hear about this game, the more I really want to go out and get it. I just have that last bit of concern that the game is very short for what you pay like what was mentioned on the last RFN.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:55 AM »

Someone needs to replay Zelda, Zelda 2, Links Awakening and Zelda: LTTP

I still can't beat certain boss characters in the original Zelda. Though it may be that I can't find half the dungeons in that game still to this day.

Back on the matter of Madworld, the more I hear about this game, the more I really want to go out and get it. I just have that last bit of concern that the game is very short for what you pay like what was mentioned on the last RFN.

The difficulty of the 2D Zeldas is largely overrated.  They're certainly more difficult than the 3D ones, but that's not saying much.  The difficulty in Zelda 1 came with finding the dungeons and getting to the boss, and the only boss that gave me much trouble in LttP was that moth one in the Dark World forest dungeon (and in his case it was more the spikes around his lair giving me problems than the boss itself).  Zelda 2's legitimately hard, though largely because of how cheap death can be in that game.

As for Madworld's length, yeah it's very short.  I'd put it around 5 hours to beat, assuming the bosses don't give you too much trouble (I had a lot of trouble with Frank, and of course the Tower gauntlet).  And honestly...I don't think there's enough variety in what you do in the game to make up for that short amount of time.  There are only a couple unique ways of killing people every level, as for the most part  you'll see a variant on the rosebush/spike; sawblade; sign; tire; and barrel every single level and that'll make up the vast majority of your kills. 

Factor in a really lousy camera and some questionable difficulty spikes and you have a really nice rental.  But buy...eh...I don't know about that one.  That would depend largely on just how much you love the art style and the truly outstanding audio commentary.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
Anyone been able to find this at Blockbuster yet?  All 3 stores in my area said they have no plans to carry this title.  WTF?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2009, 12:07:42 PM »
There's more gameplay to be had here than RE5.

Pure.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.