Author Topic: Madworld  (Read 109036 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Madworld
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »
because the text that appears on screen for your "sponsor's" chats are so small I can barely read them.

I think your problem is old people's syndrome ;). I've had NO problem reading the text. Kind of like I had no problem with my wrist getting tired when using the Wiimote with HOTD:O. ;)

Well, to be fair I have a little trouble reading from far distances (I have to wear glasses when I drive), my TV's about 6-7 feet away from me when I'm on the couch, and my widescreen TV's really intended to be a computer monitor (so it's large, but not that much larger than your typical TV).  So part of the text issue could be that I'm just too far away from the action, but it's still pretty small.

Luckily I haven't caught old person's disease even though I'm old like you ;). Spak has it though. :)

Meh, I'm only 25 (soon to be 26 in a month).  I'm just nearsighted, hence the glasses.  I even have to wear the damn things on those very rare occasions I go to the movies.  I usually see things fine when they're on my TV because of the short distance, though, so I don't usually need the glasses for that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »
What size TV do you have? Is it a progressive scan compatible one?

One other complain I have about Madworld is that it has the lame black bars surrounding the picture like NMH had. I NEVER get that with Nintendo widescreen compatible games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »

It's a 23" Progressive Scan flatscreen, and I'm running my Wii on it with component cables.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #328 on: March 12, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »

One other complain I have about Madworld is that it has the lame black bars surrounding the picture like NMH had. I NEVER get that with Nintendo widescreen compatible games.

MadWorld, like RE4 and NMH, are TRUE 16:9 games when you verify their pixel counts and appropriate aspect conversions.  HDTVs, however, DO NOT EVER stretch SD/480 content properly.  Nintendo gets away by overcompensating the display canvas.

Again, the display industry is FUCKED UP.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:53 AM »
Is this game more FIST than Tenchu and HoTD:OK?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2009, 12:00:55 PM »
I want this game... next time I'm out, it will be mine.

Oh, yes, it will be mine.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
This has got be the most visceral game I've ever played. Didn't play Manhunt 1 and 2, don't think I will, and even then you probably can't do this:

Dump a guy in the toilet. Chainsaw to the balls. CHAINSAW TO THE BALLS! 'nuff said.

You think that's bad, in the dark ages they actually hung homosexuals upside down and then used a saw.

« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
This has got be the most visceral game I've ever played. Didn't play Manhunt 1 and 2, don't think I will, and even then you probably can't do this:

Dump a guy in the toilet. Chainsaw to the balls. CHAINSAW TO THE BALLS! 'nuff said.

You think that's bad, in the dark ages they actually hung homosexuals upside down and then used a saw.

Well, that's certainly diff'rent, but I'm not sure it would make a very good video game.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
Unless you were catholic....

Don't ban me!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
I literaly just popped this baby in and noticed it comes with a sytem update.

Is this the first 3rd party title to do this? And what does it do anyway? Is it one of those ninja updates that fights hackers and stuff?

Ill get your answers later, I gots killin to do!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
Unless you were catholic....

Don't ban me!

And born in 1481.  No offense to anyone born in 1481.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:34:34 PM by ReverendNoahWhateley »
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
Finally got a chance to play Madworld. It's okay so far, just finished the first boss. The graphics, while nice, get a little distracting. The game, in general, doesn't wow me as much as when I first played No More Heroes. Probably not worth $50, but I'm trying to do my part in supporting these kinds of games on the Wii.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
EasyCure I'm not sure what was the first third party game with updates but Sonic & the black knight has one but I've had a up to date firmware.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
Finally got a chance to play Madworld. It's okay so far, just finished the first boss. The graphics, while nice, get a little distracting. The game, in general, doesn't wow me as much as when I first played No More Heroes. Probably not worth $50, but I'm trying to do my part in supporting these kinds of games on the Wii.

Madworld builds on many aspects of NMH and IMO improves on many of the things it didn't do right.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
Holy crap! Mine just came in the mail!!!  I went downstairs to my mailbox checking for normal bills and junk...and lo and behold my copy of Madworld!!!

yay! Im bout to rip it open now! Win!
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »
Madworld builds on many aspects of NMH and IMO improves on many of the things it didn't do right.
Such as? So far, I like dodging in Madworld more. I hated using the D-pad to dodge in NMH though  that goes back to the whole not enough buttons thing which I'll leave at that.

I find the controls not as intuitive or unique as NMH. Still, I just started the game so I can't judge yet. Madworld has yet to really hook me whereas NMH did right away. And how could it not? The first line of dialog was "F*ckhead!"

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2009, 11:46:41 PM »
MadWorld feels a little more tense than No More Heroes, at least at the beginning.  I think it's because you're scored on all of your kills, so you feel pressure to be crazy at all times.  It's far too early for me to do much more of a comparison though.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
EasyCure I'm not sure what was the first third party game with updates but Sonic & the black knight has one but I've had a up to date firmware.

Hm well I thought I was up to date too. In fact its been so long I don't remember when the last was. Any time I lose the wifi signal I'm stealing and reconnect, I always have it check for a system update and the last time that happened was only last week.

Initial impressions of the game are much like a few of you guys, its a fun game but hasn't really grabbed me yet. The mini games that pop up, like human darts, are fun I just don't like how they're implimented; it breaks the action up while I'm having a blast just mauling people. The pimp is funny though. The boss fights (beat the first two) are fun but no where near as fun as NMHs first two bosses.

A few questions:

1. How'd they forget a block button? :p luckily the game starts simple so you don't need it but sometimes I wish I could block at least a few of those damn Bulls hits!

2. What is the criteria for the higher violence points? At the end of a level you'll see how many violent acts were performked and they'll be given categories like "regular" or whatever, but you also get higher ratings of super and extreme but I've failed to get any of those, even when I think I'm pulling off sick ****. If its as easy as looking in the manual, just say so cuz I haven't peeked in there yet lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:49:52 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2009, 12:01:58 AM »
Well, I made it past the third boss and into a new area, and I have to say this camera is just completely useless for boss fights.  Both against the Gunslinger and against Loser Von Oz I got hammered for some stupid deaths I could have avoided if the damn camera would just stay on the guy it's supposed to be on.  Not only can't I see the enemy as they dart around the area, but because I'm not locked on to them it's pretty hard to get a good range for the Chainsaw (which is seemingly required to kill anyone other than the standard flunkies).  I also experienced the "joy" of the first bike level, and it's pretty bad.  If this is any indication of future bike levels, they're just one long waggle fest.  I thought I was actually doing fairly well (I WAS killing everyone I ran across), but the announcers just kept chiding my poor bike fighting skills so I don't know what I was doing wrong.

As for the Mini-Games, they all sound fun in concept but because the camera is so terrible it's extremely frustrating trying to do even a simple minigame like Man Darts because I can't keep the dart board in sight so I can swing a guy into it.  They're fun for a diversion from the usual perverse serial murder rampage, but most of them just don't work like they should.  I had an especially hard time with Man Darts because I had one of those huge chainsaw-wielding oxmen follow me into it, so while I was trying to swing some Man Darts up he was sawing me down with the damn chainsaw (I eventually managed to swing him into the dartboard, but it cost me a life trying and slaughtered my score).

Overall, I have to say that for all No More Heroes' problems, it was more fundamentally sound than Madworld is.  On the flip side, Madworld is more creative and has a much more interesting story than than No More Heroes had (though nowhere near the level of sheer lunacy).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:09:04 AM by broodwars »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2009, 01:19:05 AM »
SPOYLAR TAGS, FOOLS

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »
SPOYLAR TAGS, FOOLS

Haven't run across a spoiler yet.  And if you can't tell what the bosses are based on their pre-level picture, you're even more nearsighted than me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2009, 01:38:39 AM »
Ahem not everybody has played it yet.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2009, 02:21:34 AM »
I didn't feel it spoiled anything and I haven't played the game yet.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »
>> MadWorld
DeathWatch sports trailer 4

(mild intro to more bosses)

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2009, 12:23:33 PM »
Here's my impressions so far. While the game looks fantastic, I think the graphics can be a little jarring. There's a lot of stuff happening on the screen and sometimes with the (rap) music droning, and then the announcers in the background yammering, it is confusing.

I have not tinkered with the settings, but the guy in the little black box on your screen is kind of hard to pay attention to when you are trying to fight. Confusion may be the best word to describe the game so far. The camera is okay, but really does nothing if someone is behind you. There is no quick turn around button (like in some RE games), so it could get a little hairy if you get surrounded.

The action is fast, and smooth. The brutal attacks are wonderful to behold. Some ranging from downright silly to grossly comical, to cringingly brutal. I love the game so far.  I would not compare it to NMH because outside of being exaggeratedly violent, there's not many direct similarities.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...