Author Topic: You know you have a problem when...  (Read 23041 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
You know you have a problem when...
« on: May 28, 2003, 05:31:03 PM »
Today was another job hunting day for me.  I have been unemployed and not in school for the last month.  I am broke, in debt, and I have about enough money to make rent and $25 left over for food.  For food at the moment, I have a bottle of mayo, 2 cans of tuna, and a loaf of bread.  I also have a few cans of soup.

I took my resume to a few places, and Toys R Us was one of the places I took it to.  I filled out a form, and dropped it off, then figured I would check in electronics for the GameCube demo disc.  It turned out that they had them, but they were keeping them behind the counter.  They were giving them out to people who bought GameCube games.  I was a little bewildered at this policy, but kept my mouth shut, as I knew it was a pretty damned good deal.  So I asked if I could buy the disc seperately, knowing that I wouldn't make rent if I bought a game.  The girl said no, as the disc would ring it at $0.01, and the manager said that it could only be given away with a game.  I walked over to the GameCube section, held the $40 Resident Evil in my hands for a few seconds, then left the store.

My willpower didn't even last long enough for me to walk out of the parking lot.  I went back into the store and picked up the last copy of Resident Evil and put it on the counter.  A new girl was behind the counter this time.  I informed her that I would like a demo disc with the game, and showed her where they were kept.  (Toys R Us employees don't keep up with gaming news in this town).  To my surprise, when she passed it through the scanner, it showed up as $14.99.  Knowing I had a chance at making rent, I asked her if I could have just the disc.  She called the manager (again... hehe), and the manager said yes this time.  I passed over the money to pay for the game, and walked out of the store, just as the other lady was coming back to the till.  I could tell that she was kind of miffed that I had gotten away with just buying the demo disc.  I didn't want anyone to take my disc away, so I said thank you and hurried out of the store.

Walking home sounds very simple, but I decided to save the $2 I would normally spend on bus fare and walk home instead.  That involves a walk of about an hour down a hill, and then up the other side.  Today was also a very hot day.  By the time I got home, I was parched, exhausted, and VERY eager to try out Soul Calibur II.  To my surprise, I discovered I had left my key inside the house.

So I did the onyl thing a man in my position could do.  I went to the store and bought donuts with the $1.50 I saved by not taking the bus, went into Dairy Queen and drank water out of the tap until I gave myself a headache, then walked to the school to use the computers.

My roommate usually comes home around 2AM.  I figure I only have about 5 hours to wait and reminisce about my video game addiction that has led me to spending $17 on a demo disc that would have fed me for over a week.  As it is, I can probably roll pennies to last me another week or two, but if I don't find a job soon, I am going to have to see Welfare or the Food Bank.  Or both.

God I wish I had my GBA with me right now.  So anyways, does anyone else have a story about their videogame addiction leading to circumstances that are somewhat "less" than pleasurable?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: You know you have a problem when...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 05:47:20 PM »
My problem is that I can't make up my mind in much of a hurry when it comes to buying a game. I'll spend AGES thinking over, is it really worth it? Should I save my money towards something else? Should I just piss off and go home?

More often, it leads to the last choice, and I'll find myself going home, only to think "crap, I need that game"

... Then I go back to the store =/

That's not very fun!

But damn Grey, that sounded like a suck fest of a day. I'd be going insane if I realized I'd left my keys in the house after all that walking

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 05:54:47 PM »
Heh.  I left out the fact that I found out earlier today that I didn't get a job I really wanted that paid $17/hour.  I went to an interview for it last week.  I was told that I really impressed them though, and I was STRONGLY advised to apply if they had any more jobs available later.  I kind of figure that's their way of saying that I would be a good 2nd choice.    I also found out that my video card's fan died, and I don't have the extended warranty on it like I thought I did.  I have to cough up the money to replace it soon.  I took it to the store today, and they refused to exchange it, so I am also carrying an expensive video card around in my backpack.  

But yeah, I do that a lot too, going back to the store and buy the game I didn't buy before.    I am still kicking myself for not paying the extra $25 for Resident Evil, as it's a game I really want, and that's a damn good price.  I just have some misgivings about it, as it would mean getting up bright and early tomorrow to pawn off a bunch of crap to get the money to make rent.  I was thinking I could probably get a good price for Unreal Tournament 2k3, which I really don't want.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 06:17:14 PM »
The same happens to me.  When I usually go out to buy a game, I have one in mind that I'm after, so it's a matter of going to the shopping centre and hoping EB, Target or Kmart has it.  Target and Kmart are hopeless.  They hardly get any of the new releases, and mainly have the launch titles in stock. And any news ones are the big Nintendo and license games like X-Men: Wolverine's Revenge.  *sobs*

And sometimes, when I see a game on special or low price, I can't make up my mind.  A few weeks ago, when I was in the city, I thought I check out this games specially store (like EB), and they had 2 copies of Vagrant Story for PSOne, which I have seen no where else.  The problem with PS RPGs in Australia, they are hard to find except freakin' FF and Kingdom Hearts.  I stood there for like 10 minutes holding the casing and trying to make my mind up.  The AUS$50 price was not attractive, and I was debating with myself whether I really needed another game.  So, in the end I didn't buy it.  They also had the Mario Party pak, which included the game and a controller for about AUS$30.  I decided not to get it, (I only wanted the controller, it was a cheap way to buy one).  When I got home, I was kicking myself and rang the next day.  They told me you can only buy it when you purchase a GC.  Aw man.

But there have been times in the past, I was kicking myself for not buying it, and went back the next day.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 07:00:12 PM »
hahaha. Lucky me I get 30 bucks a week from my parents.
my first and only job so far was a $8 an hour book hire job at school after the HSC with a friend.
I made $730 all up, and I bought my Gamecube (with free second offical controller) from that. I had bought Rogue LEader for $29 teh week before, and my dad got me Eternal darkness for christmas. My sis bought Harry Potter, and they were the first games we had. Since then, I have bought XG3 (sold it back), Super Monkey Ball 2, Nightfire, and Wind Waker. I also won Star Fox Adventures. Whoo hoo! So in all, gaming hasn't really left me broke.
I'm going to see Phone Booth tomorrow, and maybe Basic as well.

That reminds me. I haven't got my 30 bucks yet.
MUM!!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 08:33:59 PM »
after living in a money drought for so long as soon as i got a job well, 3 gba games an sp 5 gamecube games and a PC later... well, yeah, money is good
next on the list is a new tv, the one im using is dark flicker vision 5000, its kinda hard to see :\ oh and skies of arcadia comes out on the 9th

i have big um and ahh sesions before purchasing games, unless im super hyped about it, like i went to get Metroid Fusion and stood there for about 30 minutes in teh same spot looking at the box, then walking upto the counter only to dash back and get golden sun. incidently i got metroid fusion the following week ^_^

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 09:41:24 PM »
are those aussie dollars?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 10:16:50 PM »
i'm in a similar situation as Grey Ninja. i've been looking for a job for the past three months. Jobs (even crappy ones) are ridiculously hard to come by in the small city. My part time job's pretty much dried up since i've completed all the work they needed me for. i'm living with my mom, which helps, but she's not working, a bit in debt, and will likely only be able to pay rent for another couple of months. i've been surviving on beans and a thin stew made of vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. Or maybe that was Principal Skinner -- i can't remember now. i'm down to about $200 now; enough to pay this month's bills, and have gas and food for a week. i've been ebaying all the crap i can in hopes of scaring up some cash.

A couple weeks ago i got Enter the Matrix. i'm cool with a couple of the guys at the EB i got it from, so i can return it for a full refund (in store credit) as long as it's in new condition. i usually never return a game i buy, but ETM is bad enough to warrant a return, and the hope that Atari will go the way of 3D0. i'm tempted to get a demo disc, or Iridion II for GBA. Both of which would set me back less than $20, and would be well worth it. At the moment, i'll settle for beating Metal Gear Solid again. Mei Ling's voice and and the much-exploited rumble of the Dual Shock in the game are the only comforts i have this late at night.

The first thing i plan on doing when i get working again is to blow a few hundred on something. i'm leaning towards one of those 13 inch LCD screens from Elite Peripherals. Must... job... get.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 04:11:48 AM »
Holy crap, I didn't know it was so difficult for some of you guys.
And yes, Perm, when Infernal, PIAC, AiAi and myslef talk money, it's in Aussie dollars. Hence, a game costs like $90 average here, where in the states, it's like $40.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 07:59:22 AM »
Ehh you guys in Austrlia have got it good compared to NZ in terms of prices. New games come in a t about 130NZD. But not my problem, I import.

But man, would I ever love to help you guys in someway short of sending you stuff. I suppose at this point only I can only wish you luck.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 12:07:02 PM »
Hehe... gotta love the rumble feature in the dual shock eh Aoi Tsuki?    But yeah, you guys who still live with your parents have got it lucky I tell ya.  It just goes straight downhill when you move out.  But I am sorry to hear about your luck anyways Aoi.  

I strongly reccomend the demo disc though, even if you are broke.  I was thinking this morning if it was worth it or not.  I took a look at the new callus on my hand, and gave an emphatic YES!  Soul Calibur II is a VERY good game.  The demo is a little short for my liking, but I have played through it a good 100X in the last day.  

watashi no nihongo wa amari ii desukedo... Game o tsukaite nihongo o hanashitai desu.    nihongo no hanashi no Soul Calibur II wa totemo ii desu yo.  Taki-sama wa kawaii desu ne?  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 02:34:44 PM »
I don't have money problems, but that's just because I don't spend that much on games.  I only have about seven right now (no handheld) and only three or four prospective games.  As for making decisions, I only buy games that I'm really hyped about, so it's not a problem.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 03:21:28 PM »
yeah same.
Nightfire and SMB2 were the only impulse buys i've had.
I don't have a GBA (but I do have A Link to the Past, which I got for free), and I go to my friend's house for multiplayer, so I don't have to invest at all on party games.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 04:10:55 PM »
I don't have money problems.  But the way I buy games I might as well.  I have 11 games on pre-order and am getting a new PS2 when the new one comes out beginning of June, so I have over 700.00 dollars tied up in pre-ordered games.  I placed ordered for 2 games one day, four the next and two more today (Sword of Mana and FFTA, I have been waiting for Ebgames.com to post them so I could order them).  But more than half of the games I got with free shipping so I am only paying 49.99 or 39.99.  I also bought two computers last year, laptop (February) and new desktop (July) both from Dell.  I live at home which is a good thing because I wouldn't be able to afford to live anywhere else, especially after credit card bills, car payment (paying extra each month has shaved off at least one year of balance) and car insurance.  The thing is at least half of the games I ordered were impulse (so was my xbox, gba sp), but if I had to pay shipping for them I wouldn't have gotten them, at least not six months before they come out.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 10:21:13 PM »
holy crap.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 02:24:04 AM »

watashi no nihongo wa amari ii desukedo... Game o tsukaite nihongo o hanashitai desu.  nihongo no hanashi no Soul Calibur II wa totemo ii desu yo. Taki-sama wa kawaii desu ne?

Boku wa dai suki Taki-sama desu yo. Totemo Kawaii desu ne! LOL Boku wa Taki san ni seru jani.

Sorry if it is a bit rusty, have been there for 2 years and I didn't study very hard.

From want I can tell the translation goes, "My Japanese is ok. I play/do Japanese games. The Japanese in Soul Calibur II is generally no problem. Taki-sama is cute no?

Whats your story Grey Ninja?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 08:04:33 AM »
Heh... close.

My Japanese isn't so good.  But I played the game, and now I want to speak Japanese.  The Japanese voice acting in Soul Calibur II is very good.  Taki-sama is cute eh?

As for yours...

I love Taki-sama.  Very cute eh?  I will compete for Taki-san.

Not sure on that last one... I said my Japanese isn't so good.    

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 11:56:25 PM »
Actually, the last sentance would not have made much sense because I don't know how to say"I don't know him/her" That is why I laughed. Good job anyway, more than likely better than me.

Unless you actually go and and live in Japan, there is no way you are going to japanese effectively. Good Luck anyway.

Hehe that link to that hello kitty website is funny. It is so asking for trouble.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 12:20:56 AM »
These of you who have to support yourself make me feel spoilt.  As some of you may know, I’m a university student and I still live with my parents and don’t even pay rent.   But I do pay for all my games and consoles.  Some of my friends from university have to support themselves too.  It makes me feel lucky.

I don’t work when I study and only have gotten a job during the summer holidays.  Except for the 12 months work experience I did which was part of my engineering course.  I saved most of my money, so I have no shortage of cash when it comes to buying games.  

And yeah, that Hello Kitty link was funny as hell.  And dirty...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2003, 05:20:50 AM »
Well, this one time, I left my key in the house in the morning. The bus dropped me off after school and I just realized it. I had to walk three miles to my friend's house to wait for my mom to get home from work so I didn't have to wait outside for three and a half hours.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2003, 12:34:49 PM »
Heh.  You guys are dirty.  It's a massager... not what you are thinking. Or at least that's my story, and I hope it keeps me out of trouble.

oohhboy, I am currently taking Japanese classes, and I have two years left to go before I graduate.  That's enough time to take 4 more Japanese courses.  I don't have a lot of time to study for that class as I keep pretty busy in other classes, but I am trying to learn as much by osmosis as possible.  My grade isn't great, but it's not that bad either.  At any rate, I am hoping to be somewhat conversant by the time I am done.  When I start to expand my vocabulary, I will start playing Japanese video games and try to watch anime without subs.  At the moment, I just don't have that much skill.

Aiai, I actually have a good friend who still lives at home right now.  He keeps wanting to move out, and is trying to save money for it, but I always tell him that he's got a good thing going as it is, and he should stay at home as long as possible.  The grass is always greener though I suppose, and I must admit that I do get away with a lot of stuff I would never get to do at home.  It's just hard trying to survive.

Dirk, I had to wait about an hour and a half on my doorstep waiting for my room-mate to come home the other night.  

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2003, 02:38:17 PM »

Heh. You guys are dirty. It's a massager... not what you are thinking. Or at least that's my story, and I hope it keeps me out of trouble.

TRANCE VIBRATOR. プルプル。。。

It's been a couple years since i've studied Japanese, but i've one note to pass on. When referring to girls who are cute in the attractive sense, use kirei. Kawaii refers to things that are cute in the "cuddly" sense of the word, like puppies or kittens.

Kono shi ga kirei jyoshi juubun motte imasen...

That feels wrong for some reason, but you get the idea.

i've been debating whether or not to get back into Japanese, especially given the fact that i've got the time to do it. i can't afford classes now, not that there's any close by. My main fear is that i'll pick up bad habits in enunciation and in writing, although i was really good at Japanese when i was taking it. i know people who took it for years, but they still lacked finesse in those areas.

One series i'd definitely recommend is Sakura Taisen. The first and second game were on Saturn, and it later received improved Dreamcast versions as well as  two sequels. It's been redone once again on PS2, which is also home to a fifth sequel. There's several spinoff games, like Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns on Saturn and Sakura Taisen Kakyou Show on Dreamcast. It's still wildly popular in Japan.

Sakura Taisen is part strategy RPG and part date sim-style character interaction. You play the role of Iichiroo Oogami, the leader and conveniently the only male member of the Teikoku Kagekidan, a group that performs plays during the day, but is secretly the military force protecting Japan. During the non-battle portions, you'll encounter other characters in the group, and how you speak to them during these portions determines how well they'll fight in the SRPG portion of the game. The best part about the game for Japanese students is that as the characters speak, their lines are displayed on-screen (in kanji of course) as they speak. The character's voices are extremely well-done, especially Orihime Soretta, the Italian girl who first appears in Sakura Taisen 2. Even with a beginner's knowledge of Japanese, it's obvious she's Italian. I love the way she elegantly butchers the word “desu†in nearly every sentence she speaks. Sakura Taisen is one of the most beautiful (not so much graphically, but stylistically) games i've ever played, and also one of the most emotional at times. When i get far enough into Japanese, i'll definitely pick it up again.

i've managed to sell a few items on ebay and help my financial standings a bit. If things get really bad, i've got a digital camera, Minidisc player, and an unopened copy of Steel Battalion to auction off, so i'm not that bad off... yet. Job hunt continues tomorrow. The hunt for demo discs also continues; this small city only has one place that even carries the disc (Kaybee Toys) and they only sell it with the system. あほお!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2003, 02:47:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice...  I know that kirei was the more acceptable word to use... but I couldn't remember whether it had one or two "i"s and I knew that if I said the wrong one, I would be saying she was scary.  Not that innacurate I suppose, but I figured I would rather have cuddly than scary.  

I have absolutely no way of playing Japanese games right now other than my GameBoy, but I will keep Sakura Taisen in mind for future reference.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2003, 02:48:10 PM »
Grey Ninja damn, save up the money. I'm sure you can always have time to play the demo disc later. YOu #1 priority should be food.

As for ym situation with gaming. I usually decide what game Iw ant before I ang to my parents about taking me to Toys R' Us, or some other store. I fork over my own $50 (I get it by working over the weekeneds at Computer Shows) and then enjoy the game. That's how my routine has been, I usually save up my money. Very conservative guy. People usually call me stingy, but I probably spend more than them.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2003, 10:34:20 PM »
Sakura Taisen is one of the few Japanese games that I am interested in playing.  Sadly, I don't know Japanese.  I'm hoping to enrol in a Japanese course early next year.  Actually, I wanna learn right know, but don't have the time.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2003, 10:55:22 PM »

It's been a couple years since i've studied Japanese, but i've one note to pass on. When referring to girls who are cute in the attractive sense, use kirei. Kawaii refers to things that are cute in the "cuddly" sense of the word, like puppies or kittens.

Kirei means beutiful. Don't use it on a teenage girl or a 25 year old. Kirei is reserved for oldr women. Kawaii is the popular term  for beutiful for girls and young women. If you use Kirei on a young women, they might take offence because you are implying that they are old, yet beutiful, which is not the case. if in doubt, use Kawaii as it is more flatering.

Kawaii does mean cute, but that can also be referred back to girls. I call girls here in New Zealand cute all the time. It means the same thing as beutiful, but without sounding like you are beening polite.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2003, 12:56:17 AM »
Put it this way ... if your avatar looks like you in real life then you can probably say that you are kawaii
I'm physchic. If I wanted your opinion I would have told you what it was.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2003, 02:01:04 AM »

Originally posted by: 220man
Put it this way ... if your avatar looks like you in real life then you can probably say that you are kawaii

LOL.....actually who is that chick in your avatar, oohhboy?  Natalie Portman?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2003, 02:36:44 AM »
220man, you really have to get out more. I mean really get out more. It doesn't matter where, but just not here.

If I did look like that in real life, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be male either. I would be shooting Star Wars ep3. And even if iwas here and I was her, why you? WHO THE HELL DO YOU REALLY THINK I AM?!?!?OMFG

This has got to be the weirdest sh1t that has happened this month and the month before that.

I know when I have a problem now.

Atleast you managed to use it in the right context if not the right situation or person, or place.  

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2003, 03:47:29 AM »
Gee thnx. I tell you why I dont get out much because unlike you grownups ... i'm still living with my parentsand I don't have to worry about rent and jap lessons and jobs etc. I love my gamecube and .... that's about it. I knew it was natalie portman ... I didn't say it wasn't geez. b!tch
I'm physchic. If I wanted your opinion I would have told you what it was.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2003, 03:33:31 PM »
Hey, 220man, I think you should go to my site. Since that is where oohhboy got the pic from. As was my original two avatars.
And stop hitting on a guy.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2003, 02:07:32 AM »
And the weird Sh1t-O-Meter hits 11 and breaks.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2003, 06:10:09 PM »
blame on the 220man!!!!
but man....that avatar IS sexy.
better head to my collection....for some release....................................................

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2003, 10:02:36 PM »
Man is that guy going to be scared for life. That guy is never going to leave his room now.

GOOD WORK termin8. May be the mods will give you a promotion for this.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2003, 11:50:26 PM »
Promotion? For what?
For telling the guy he's been hitting on a guy?
But then Natalie Portman has that effect on guys. I'll bet that if she looked in the mirror, she'd fall in love with herself too.  

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2003, 04:49:32 AM »
Your probaly getting a promotion for getting rid of the weirdos who can't handle Natalie.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2003, 09:44:08 PM »
ahhh, yeah.
i think i'll take a break from Nat now, and use the sexy Amy Lee as my avatar.
That is, until I find some new super sexy new Natalie Portman avatar.
*Goes to Google Image Search*

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2003, 10:01:46 PM »
Wouldn't she be in Sydney filming Star Wars Episode III?  Sneak in and take some pics of her!  I dare you!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2003, 10:12:16 PM »
Yeah i could, but doing so could mean i will be struck down by the force of seeing her infinte beauty in real life.
I will nothing more than a mumbling ash pile on the gorund.
Should I risk it? See her in real life on the condition that I lose my life, never to see Epsiode III, or any sex scenes that she may do in future movies?

Hmmmm, I'll think about that.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2003, 10:21:01 PM »
If I were you, I couldn't bare the thought of watching Natalie do a sex scene with another man....

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2003, 10:41:56 PM »
neither can i. actually, i think i'd just prefer her in skimpy outfits than ruin her glamourous image with some nudity. Shes going the right way in her career. But I'm not too keen on her being a vegatarian. I mean, how can you resist the temptation of a nice, juicy, tender steak? And a chicken burger? Ohhh, *drroool*, but I guess being with her would take away any feeling you have in you body anyway.
She has that effect.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2003, 10:57:45 PM »
She's a vegatarian?  I didn't know that.  I don't mind because I don't like eating a lot of meat myself...I do eat meat, it's just that I don't like to eat meat everyday.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2003, 11:02:51 PM »
beef, chicken, pork.....mmmmm
i am a meat-eater.
but that's it.
no duck, or any other bird.

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2003, 03:49:33 PM »
my advice to all of you is to swallow your pride and take a job at a fast food restaurant.  They are ALWAYS looking to hire someone, for some shift.  Trust me, I used to work fast food for four years.  As long as your availability is good, they'll hire you.  And I think you've pretty much ruined your chances of getting a job at Toys r us, Grey ninja.  Undermining an employee really works against ya like that, especially if they're in good with the hiring manager.  
it was time for a change.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2003, 07:41:18 PM »
Heh.  I swallowed my pride long ago when I started rolling pennies to buy ramen.    I have applied at A&W (I used to work there) and McDonalds so far.  I was going to apply at KFC the other day, but they wanted a resume, and I don't have enough money left on my print card to print out a copy.    As for Toys R Us, I know that I totally ruined my chances, but I needed that demo disc damnit!  

Supposedly there's a cheque in the mail for me though, so as soon as I get it, I will print out a dozen more copies of my resume and spam the hell out of all the fast food places, then buy a replacement hard drive and a cooling fan for my video card, then buy a bottle of gin and a few bottles of that new Sprite drink.  Man do I ever need that money.  

Best of it is, I will still have money left over for rent this month, assuming I don't go buy Pokemon Ruby or some crap like that, so I will have a while longer to find a job.  ANY job.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2003, 08:36:13 PM »
Sprite is to Sprite Remix as playing Gameboy games on your Gameboy is to playing Gameboy games on your Gameboy Color. There's about as much tropical (or whatever flavor that is) taste in it as there is citrus. Don't waste perfectly good gin on that stuff. Don't even waste perfectly bad gin on it.

Concerning the job issue, i'm right there with you. i've downgraded to accepting anything, which includes Wal-Mart. i suppose that includes fast food service too, but i'm somewhat of a vegetarian, and it just seems very wrong. In any case, tomorrow is "job hunt Monday" again. Time to get the ol' shirt 'n tie ready.

Consider yourself lucky for getting the demo disc. i went to EB and they weren't selling them separately, but the guy told me to check Circuit City. Circuit City didn't have any copies. i checked the nearby Target, but they didn't even receive any. i guess i'll check the pawn shop tomorrow (ya never know), but if they don't have any, i've exhausted all my sources in a 30-mile area and will have to resort to ebay. On a related note, my ebay auctions have been going fairly well, considering the crap i'm selling.

i finally got my Psychic Force 2012 back from my friend. After a quick session of Rez, i'll pop it in, and once again, for the moment, life will be good.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2003, 08:42:55 PM »

Originally posted by: aoi tsuki
Sprite is to Sprite Remix as playing Gameboy game on your Gameboy is to playing Gameboy games on your Gameboy Color. There's about as much tropical (or whatever flavor that is) taste in it as there is citrus. Don't waste perfectly good gin on that stuff. Don't even waste perfectly bad gin on it.

Actually, we here in Canada get a different flavor.  It's known as Sprite Ice in Canada, and it has a very turpentinie flavor.  I actually really like the stuff, and I think that it's base flavor would go VERY well with Gin.

Originally posted by: aoi tsuki
Concerning the job issue, i'm right there with you. i've downgraded to accepting anything, which includes Wal-Mart. i suppose that includes fast food service too, but i'm somewhat of a vegetarian, and it just seems very wrong. In any case, tomorrow is "job hunt Monday" again. Time to get the ol' shirt 'n tie ready.

Heh.  I haven't even tried Walmart yet.  It's completely across town from me, and it's a nightmare getting there, so I hadn't tried it yet.  I suppose I will try tomorrow though.  I do have a bus pass if nothing else.  I am very much a meat eater, but I can't afford it right now, so I would actually prefer a fast food job at this point, simply so that I could steal the food while I worked.  

Anyways, sorry to hear that you couldn't find the demo disc.  Myself though, I don't have a credit card, so selling crap on ebay is out of the question for me.    I still haven't ditched my copy of Unreal Tournament 2k3 though, so there is that I guess.  I am sure I could find someone at the University who likes that sort of game, and get maybe $25 for it at least.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2003, 11:58:00 PM »
ooooooooooh we have sprite ice here, and i tbh couldn't taste any difference to regular sprite, i was miffed, it looked like it contained a mint flavour or something :\ ohwell.

fellow gin drinkers ive never tried anything other than tonic with gin, speaking of which i need some more tonic... and some more gin im in $300 debt with my parents (skies of arcadia came out too soon, and i found a great deal on some logitech z640 speakers so i had to get them(thanks mum and dad)) so i guess that will wait a while

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2003, 01:59:24 PM »

Supposedly there's a cheque in the mail for me though,

Remember that first word, Supposedly.  It means the same thing as them telling you they will hold onto your resume and consider it later.  Yeah right, they file it in trash as soon as you're out of there.

Besides there is always other little things that you can do to make money.  MAKE money. hinthint.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2003, 02:03:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
beef, chicken, pork.....mmmmm
i am a meat-eater.
but that's it.
no duck, or any other bird.

I love animals.  They're delicious.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2003, 06:18:23 PM »
hahahahaha!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2003, 10:28:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Marcus Arillius
And I think you've pretty much ruined your chances of getting a job at Toys r us, Grey ninja.  Undermining an employee really works against ya like that, especially if they're in good with the hiring manager.  

I guess getting the demo disc is more important than getting a job!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2003, 12:49:46 AM »
as it should be!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2003, 04:38:25 AM »
Hey PIAC,

im in $300 debt with my parents (skies of arcadia came out too soon, and i found a great deal on some logitech z640 speakers so i had to get them(thanks mum and dad)) so i guess that will wait a while

Hang on a sec - is that those 5.1 speakers on special ay EB? They look nice, damn nice. If only I had a nice computer to make use of them. $200 off is a bargain too, like half price I think...  

Offline JSasky

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2003, 08:35:36 AM »
The only problem I have with video games is not having enough casharonie to buy all the hardware and games I want.  Then again I should really finish off the ones I already own.  Working overtime and trying to maintain some semblance of a life takes away so much time from my video games *sigh*.  

Can't wait for SC2 and Vjoe...

Actually I want the whole Capcom 5 lineup.  I want to import winning eleven too, but Lik Sang is sooo... explensive.
'Take a wiff of my pant leg baby!'
-Blues Explosion

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2003, 09:50:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Shifty
Hey PIAC,

im in $300 debt with my parents (skies of arcadia came out too soon, and i found a great deal on some logitech z640 speakers so i had to get them(thanks mum and dad)) so i guess that will wait a while

Hang on a sec - is that those 5.1 speakers on special ay EB? They look nice, damn nice. If only I had a nice computer to make use of them. $200 off is a bargain too, like half price I think...

nah, they were $50 off at the Myer near me, didn't get them at EB, so check out some Myer stores i guess, if not make a big scene and they might reduce them for you (a secret i learnt working in a super market) also, unless you have a 5.1 card they wont work that well BUT you can get the Creative Live! 5.1 card for like $70-$90 depending where you go, its dead cheep

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2003, 09:53:54 AM »
I just saw Skies of Arcadia in the local pawn shop.  If I had $53.50, it would be mine.  That's VERY cheap.  The problem is that I don't get paid for another week, and I have already sold pretty much everything that can get me money real fast.  I am seriously considering pawning my GBA to get the game, as it would be a far more used item for me.  I would still need to come up with $20 on top of that, and I could probably pawn Advance Wars and Pokemon Sapphire to get that money... but I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

But I really have to wonder about myself.  I am already $600 in the hole, I have enough food to last me about a week, and I have about $1 to my name.  I seriously WANT to put myself deeper in the hole by buying the love of my... erm... the best game ever... erm... a stupid GameCube game?

This friends... is when you know you have a problem.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2003, 10:05:53 AM »
You should just wait, it's only one more week anyways.  If you do pawn your GBA you will end up regretting it later on.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2003, 10:05:57 AM »
What ever you do, do not get a credit card, otherwise you will be in real trouble. Also you cannot sell pokemon.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2003, 10:17:10 AM »

Originally posted by: DRJ
What ever you do, do not get a credit card, otherwise you will be in real trouble. Also you cannot sell pokemon.

I have 4 credit cards and have no problem what so ever.  I pay off each balance if there is one each month, and maybe some extra to cover a purchase I made that will be on the next billing period.  I also have car payment, car insurance and a insatiable appetite for games.

Grey, don't sell off the GBA, later you will regret it because you'll have to shell out for another.  The game can wait.  

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2003, 11:25:46 AM »
Credit card are fine as long as you pay over the minimum. i've resisted the urge to use mine because i don't know when i'd be able to pay it back, and i don't want to screw with my credit rating. That's where a lot of people screw up; they spend more than they can afford via credit, end up paying a ton on interest, especially if they only pay the minimum.

i don't know how i'll manage to get F-Zero and XGRA (yes i'm getting both, XGRA isn't an option at this point), although i have a $20 voucher for EB that should be arriving soon. i was toying with the idea of selling my SP. It's in excellent condition and it's an import, so i could possibly get a bit more for it. And selling it would insure that i'd get my Torchic/Spice SP as a replacement when i actually have money again. It's win-win.

My suggestion to you Grey Ninja is to wait. It's only a week. Even if it's gone, when you start working you can pay whatever you have to to buy it. i can't really preach about priorities since i'm spending money on games over potentially more importanty things myself.  

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2003, 11:48:55 AM »
Wow, that story makes me so happy I'm 14 and living under my parents roof.  
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2003, 10:45:54 PM »
Aoi, your thinking is a lot like my own.  

I have decided to wait on Skies, due in part to the simple math I did when figuring out if I can make rent this month, and due in part to my room-mate getting internet access, and me needing a longer ethernet cable to leech his bandwidth.    I need another ethernet cable anyways for my GameCube if I ever get a BBA, so it's not a total loss.  I figure that if I am REALLY careful with my money for the rest of this month, I can make rent, and get a new ethernet cable at the cost of starving my ass off while at work, and possibly my GBA.  (with the intention of buying a shiny new silver SP when I am working of course.  )

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2003, 03:49:45 PM »
Ethernate Cables are pretty cheap, just make sure its not a crossover or you might have some problems. I bought mine at Best Buy for $5.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2003, 05:52:51 PM »
Yeah, I know what a crossover cable is.  I need one at some point, but not right now.  Ethernet cables go for about $30 around here.  It's robbery, but I don't have the tools to make my own cable.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2003, 07:54:16 PM »
Grey Ninja....you should eat. Iv seen pictures of you and you are skinny. My friend saw your picture and he was like omfg.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2003, 01:27:50 AM »
Heh.  That was back in the day when I could still afford McDonalds.    Starving to death has become an increasing concern with me lately though... but I still have one flat of ramen and about 4 hot dogs left.  I should be able to survive a while yet.    I know that I am skinny, and I probably weigh less than my niece, but one day I will have money, and I will feast and feast and feast...  Maybe I might even work out if I get some more weight too.  

But truth be told, I could really care less about my health, as long as I have something to do.  Internet access is my top priority right now.    That and the garbage bag full of popcorn I can get for $8.50...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2003, 05:18:31 AM »
Damn it Grey Ninja, your no good to us DEAD.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2003, 05:48:39 AM »
But his game collection is....;-)

Just kidding.  Well, hopefully you can get some sort of regular income together soon so you can eat and have something to do at the same time!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2003, 02:24:09 PM »
to gain weight drink soda..for most people drinking excessively would be bad..but you...you need the extra calories. Soda is cheap. Be sure to supplement it with water..to prevent kidney problems. Also, eat potatos. Mashed, french fries, they are sustaining food. For skinny people like you they will prevent starvation.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2003, 04:24:34 PM »
i don't know beans about body building, but from a holisitic health position sodas are pretty horrid things to put in your body. From the high sugar content, to the calcium-leeching phosphates or zero nutritional value, you'd be better off just drinking water.

i'm pretty skinny too. i lost a good 15 pounds last year due to stress (to put it simply). It's hard enough to maintain weight when you have little food, high metabolism, and are a vegetarian. i'd work out, but it's frickin' hot here.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2003, 05:27:36 PM »
I drink soda constantly.  But at my young age it's not as bad as an adult drinking it.  And since I'm young, I don't fowl my brain and kill my liver with alcohol!  I'm trying to stop drinking it as often, but we just got a case of Dr. Pepper!  DR. PERRER for cryin' out loud! That has to be the best soda EVAH!!!! I can't help it.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2003, 06:33:12 PM »
Soda is disgusting, and if you do start weight lifting I can send you the program I do, it requires just your basic weights.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2003, 03:21:51 AM »
Dr. Pepper.  Luv the stuff. Also Mr. Pibb    But I also drink water, orange juice, lemonade, grape juice, coca cola, milk, tea, other soda's.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2003, 06:22:33 AM »
Aoi, you sound a lot like me.  I have lost a good deal of weight in the last year as well, and I have a high metabolism, and little food as well.  I am very much a meat eater when I can afford it though.  

Heh.  Soda...  Didn't know that anyone actually used that term for carbonated beverages.  

I drink a lot of pop when I have money, but when I don't, I drink about 2 gallons of water every day, and a whole lot of ramen.

Currently my diet consists of dry Corn Flakes, rationed hot dogs, and as much ramen as I can stomach in a day.  The ramen is starting to be rejected by my body though, so that's not a good sign.  I might have to find something else that's just as cheap soon.  Whenever I taste the stuff lately, I feel like I am going to be sick.  Ah well.  What can you do.  I get paid soon, so I should be able to buy some more crap.  I won't make rent this month anyways, so why not?    But like I said, survival is more than enough for me right now.  I don't care about my health.  In fact, I am sure that I will be buying a pack of cigarettes just as soon as I stabilize my finances.    I was thinking about hitting the food bank later on today though, so I might be able to get some real food.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2003, 06:27:01 AM »
Grey Ninja, you pitiful, pitiful thing you.  CIGARETTES!?  

I guess it's better than weed

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2003, 06:29:31 AM »
I can't buy weed.  I have to take a drug test.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2003, 06:41:26 AM »
I know that.  you see i was trying to, well....I was... I read that other thread, about the drugs and well, I was trying to...ummm...be funny. That's why I put the winkie-wink face there, as in "wink-wink"

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2003, 07:22:34 AM »
Well, get some real food because that Ramen is going to liquidify your gut and your still no good to us DEAD.

You can eat cheap foods, but you got to rotate what you eat and splash out a little once a week to get your body straightened up with some solid foodstuffs.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2003, 08:16:11 AM »
ooohboy, your idea sounds good and all, but I have $2.50 to my name.  I have a $2 bill, and a roll of pennies.  That doesn't buy much real food.  I have a loaf of bread that is starting to mold, a jar of mayo that has just a little bit left in it, a pack of hot dogs with 2 weiners left in it, a box of cornflakes that's about a quarter full, and a case of motherf*cking ramen.  Ramen might be the bane of my existence, but it's keeping me alive.  I wonder if I should go to sleep so I can be rested for work tonight, or if I should go to the food bank before it closes?

I wonder if I should pawn my GBA and buy Skies of Arcadia?

aw bloody hell.  This is getting nowhere.  I am going to bed.  And maybe I will dream about sailing the great sea again.  

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2003, 11:42:02 AM »
Well maybe if you stopped talking about your problems and went out and did something you may solve them Also Romen is not your top choice for food. You eat it and 30 mins later its gone and your hungry again. For $2 go buy some store brand cereal. And I would suggest not smoking ciggs unless you have money because after your addicted, your not always going to have money to buy more, and the will power to walk to the gas station. Same with weed, you'll be a kid thats hungry 24/7 like me

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2003, 12:26:58 PM »
i really find it funny when like my uncle calls it pop. I dont even think most parts of canada call it pop..it depends on which region you live in. Like for instance in minnesota they'll call it pop. In georgia and arizona they'll call it soda.  Also milk....milk contains fat...lots of it..and calcium. Cerials your best bet. Its cheap and is filled to the brim with energy(sugar)

also american soda tastes like blah when compared to soda iv had in mexico...thats because there is no sugar in american soda...their is high fructose corn syrup(sugar tarriff...syrup is cheaper)..which is an ok substitute. Well when i go down to mexico ill be sure to get some good soda.

personally im going to lay off soda pop actually, iv gained soem weight over the summer...which is somethign i normally lose. And i want to get back into a more average weight. I think i went from 160 to 200 pounds...im not sure...but i cant.....kick high....you nkow when that happens you have to get back in shape. Time to start the crunches, situps, squats, pushups, drink more water, limit my soda, swim...swimming really cuts me up.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2003, 04:19:59 PM »
Splashing out can be as simple as having some Ramen with a dog and maybe alittle lettuce for fiber. Atleast is a variation. Fiber is the key. That is why the Ramen is running through you like the a river. The suggestion about milk and ceral is good. That is probaly the best piece of advice posted so far. Got fiber so it ani't going to turn to slush and force you to use more toliet paper. Got plenty of the good stuff. Cheap and filling. Add sugar to it and who needs Soda/Pop/softdrink?

Lay off the cigs. Lay off the games and go play at a friends house to get your fix if your that hunger for some. Anyway, how did you get a case of Ramen anyway?

Oh yeah, one last thing. Forget pride, go to the food bank. At this rate health would starting chipping into your ability to work and that would lead to who knows what number i the circle of personal hell. If you can't work you might as well be dead. That is no use to us at all.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2003, 05:04:27 PM »
then again the lactose in milk can be pretty bad itself....

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2003, 03:59:06 AM »
Only if you can't hack lactose. When did people get so soft to te point where they can't even drink milk?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2003, 05:53:02 AM »
Heh.  Why do you guys need me anyways?  I always thought that the world would be that much closer to solving it's overpopulation problem without me.  I have also been described as contaminating the gene pool.  

I found out at work today though, that I could get an advance on my pay cheque.  I promptly asked for $100, and I have 5 $20 bills in my pocket right now.  My first priority is to go to the pawn shop and buy back my copy of Secret of Evermore that I pawned a while back.  I can get it back for like $29 right now, but if I wait another week, it will end up costing me almost $100 to get it back.  I can wait for my paycheque to go get Zelda OoT and Perfect Dark back.

But yeah, I will go buy some hot dogs, and some more milk today.  I should be able to start feeling better by the time I get the rest of my pay.

I am currently wrestling with myself about whether or not I should even check if they still have Skies of Arcadia...  I know that if I see it there again, it's going in my backpack.  Last time I was there, I clutched it to my heart and rocked it a few times.  I am sure that someone is going to be saving that videotape for parties.    Ah well, what can you do?

Btw, I didn't really start this thread to complain about my lack of food.  I started it to complain about my lack of common sense, or any kind of survival instinct.  

And as for cigarettes, I haven't had a smoke in over a month.  I was smoking regularly up until about 4 months ago, when I ran out of money, and had to cut some costs.  Quitting is no problem for me.  I just like the feeling it gives me, but I won't sacrifice food or video games for drugs or cigarettes.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2003, 06:59:01 AM »
For the love of God, Grey Ninja, buy some real freaking food!!  *wacks side of Grey Ninja's head* I do not say this in a flaming sense, but in a concerned sense.  Hot dogs are not going to help you feel better.  Get something decent at the store.  I know you do not have a lot of money, but you should care about your health at least a little bit.  Get some fruit and a few vegetables along with whatever meat-type-product you decide to get.  Check the fresh meat area because chicken can be pretty cheap, and it is very easy to cook it in different ways.  But whatever you do, please get a grip and take care of yourself.    

EDIT:  Also, since you already have all that ramen, why don't you add cut up vegetables and/or cooked  chicken and make something more substantial.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2003, 10:18:26 AM »
actually to tell you the truth.I was always supposed to be lactose intolerant...however..i drank milk as a kid...no problems. Now that im older though it actually effects me....

the same can be said for cats.....they love milk..but after the first year they should be lactose intolerant.....ahh sigh...

ever think of going to a chinese buffett? The one where i live is about 8 dollars. theres a cheaper one but its not as good. Still at your level of hungar somethign so proteiny would prolly taste awesome. Also you can pig out to your hearts content...buffett ...all you can eat......you could do this weekly to suplement your hotdogs and ramen

also do you haev friends..friends who still live with their parents? Parents cook.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2003, 02:35:32 PM »

actually to tell you the truth.I was always supposed to be lactose intolerant...however..i drank milk as a kid...no problems. Now that im older though it actually effects me....

i was the same way, although as a kid milk would sometimes upset my stomach. From what i understand, all people are lactose intolerant. It's only through years of consuming dairy products that we are able to process it better. A lot of easterners who come to the US have to adapt to eating dairy, and many never do.

Grey Ninja, food > games. It's simple. Get your games when you have the money. Right now, you need to be concerned more about survival than games.

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2003, 04:59:03 PM »
Dude Grey seriously, screw video games and buy food. Dont spend$29 on that game buy FOOD stock up on some stuff, then save video games can come later man.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2003, 05:16:55 PM »
Dairy products are good. If I am intorarent of any food it would be soft drinks and instant Ramen in Japan. That stuff is real poison.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2003, 05:23:50 PM »

the same can be said for cats.....they love milk..but after the first year they should be lactose intolerant.....ahh sigh...

Actually, that's true for ALL animals, and is true with normal humans. The way all animals work is during their year/s of infancy they drink milk from their mother. Once they've stopped growing they become lactose intolerant and stop drinking milk. You see, milk actually has just as many things that leach bone mass as add to it- you're not supposed to drink it afterl you're through growing. However, the group of humans most of us are descendants of today had a genetic defect that stopped them from becoming lactose intolerant when they became older. You, my friend, are actually normal- it's all of us who can digest milk and dairy products our whole lives that are the odd ones out.

Grey Ninja- I hope your new job pays enough for you to not have to do anything so desperate again, man. I'm lucky enough to live with my parents and get an allowance, so I never have to choose between gaming and eating. If  WERE you, though, I wouldn't buy games for a looooong time and save up that money you've been spending on it- gaming is not a poor man's hobby. Once you're financially secure you can buy all the games you wanted at very low prices since they're all old. You can borrow games until then.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2003, 08:03:08 PM »
Yeah Grey Ninja, you SHOULD borrow games instead of buying them for now.  And yes I know it's hard to pass up some games especially with Fall just around the corner but how do you plan on playing them if you don't even have the energy to push the buttons on your controller.  I had a similar problem too, I get $10 a week to buy food at school (or what you would call food: junk food), but I wanted to buy games instead like you, so I started saving up my money instead of eating, but after a while I realized that I had to be alert during class and not worrying that I might pass out for the lack of food.  Hopefully I can get a job soon, then all my problems would be solved, so I recently went and applied at Rite Aid, they haven't called though...

Remember Grey Ninja, SURVIVAL FIRST.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2003, 08:37:37 PM »
Grey Ninja: if you need food that badly, gimme email or PM me your mailing address, and the next time i ship an ebay package (roughly a week from now), i'll send you some cheap ramen. Outside of tons of Maruchan, i've got a few Sapporo Ichiban. Maruchan's only good as a snack (i described the snack method a few threads back), or by spicing up with toasted sesame and vegetables. Ramen's not th e

mouse_clicker: i started to give the rundown on lactose intolerance in animals, but i decided to let it slide until the thread brought went in that direction. Good explanation though. The genetic defect part is debatable, but i'm not one to split hairs on something like that.

Lechter: PM or email me your body building plan. It's worth a look.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2003, 10:51:28 PM »
i remember reading soemthing about how when european settlers came with milk it really screwed up the Natives because they were severely lactose intolerant. I like looking things up..worth a read.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/lactose/lactose.htm

and

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/june/lactose.htm

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2003, 04:33:57 AM »
*nods head in agreement with Ms.Pikmin*

Seriously Ninja, Skies can wait.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2003, 04:47:40 AM »
You want to send him MORE RAMEN!!! Hahaha. I think he's had enough of the stuff. But he is deparate...

That means I am a freak of nature since I am good with Milk. Chocolate milk, plain Milk, Ice Cream... Dairy Products Get!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2003, 05:33:36 AM »
I went to the pawn shop to buy Skies of Arcadia (I had made up my mind), and I found out that it had already been sold.    Apparently it had been sold on the first day it was put on the shelf.  So I went to Future Shop and bought an ethernet cable instead.    I just downloaded the latest update for America's Army, and I am about to install it.  

I also went to Save On Foods and bought a bunch of granola, 2 pounds of cherries, and 3 packs of hot dogs.  I am fine for food now, but thanks for your concern.    Time to show all the new people how a pro plays AA.    Anyone want to join me?  

Click here to find out where I might be.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2003, 05:41:14 AM »
granola, cherries and hot dogs?

*throws arms up in feeling of defeat*

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2003, 05:44:28 AM »
Sorry.  You seriously can't help some people.  I am one of those.    To be fair though, Pizza Pops cost too bloody much, and I don't have any pots or pans of my own right now.  (Lost them in the move)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2003, 05:47:42 AM »
I got my copy of Skies a month ago, and haven't had the time to play it!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2003, 05:59:03 AM »
What the helll is  granola?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2003, 07:00:32 AM »
kind of like a wheatie thing that you pour milk on and eat with a spoon.  It's supposed to be good for you.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2003, 12:51:35 PM »
What are pizza pops?  That sounds like something you'd eat on a stick.  Ick!

Or does that mean a bite sized pizza thing?  Pop as in pop the whole thing in your mouth?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2003, 01:15:29 PM »
Ms. Pikmin, I have often wondered about you.  You claim that you are an older woman with children of her own, but that has never really sat right with me.  The biggest reason is simply that you are here.  This is a male dominated forum that caters not to just the hardcore gamer, but to the hardcore Nintendo fan.  There are female Nintendo fans out there, but not many of them are old enough to have kids.  Maybe I am just getting old, but I know that my mother would never ever be caught on these here forums.  It's possible, but the odds of your story being true are very remote.  Couple that with your knowledge that goes beyond someone having a mere passing interest in Nintendo games, and the story gets even more intriguing.  

So that leaves one of several options.

1.  You are a person not much different than myself who enjoys toying with other people online for the simple purpose of amusing yourself.
2.  You are who you claim to be.
3.  You are a younger girl who is trying to act older in order to get respect, which is often the case with young males.

#1 and #3 sit right even less with me than #2.  But those are the 3 options I have always tried to figure out about you.

Today, I read your posts in this thread though, and I have placed you firmly in #2.  You just remind me a lot of the person in my avatar at this moment.    At this point, I doubt I would believe you much if you now claimed to be otherwise.    I'm sorry for doing this analysis of you.  I really am.  I am just really tired right now as I have been up for too long, and I have to work a graveyard shift in 8 hours.  I tend to become overly philosophical when I am in such a state, and I felt I had to come out with this.  I hope that you don't think I am rejecting you or anything like that.  Quite the contrary in fact.  I can't speak for everyone here, but regardless of who you are, I have long since accepted you as one of us, and I think you are a fine asset to these forums.  I just find your presence here to be very interesting, as it shows how truly diverse Nintendo's audience is.  (E for everyone?)

And to answer your question, a Pizza Pop is a microwaveable dough pocket with a bunch of cheese, pizza sauce, and bits of meat and other pizza stuff on the inside.  They are pretty good, and they have about the same nutritional value as a pizza, but they are expensive.  In terms of size, they are about the size of one of my fists.  (I have small hands)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2003, 03:11:41 PM »
actually at wall-mart they have this awesoem brand of microwavable pizza..it tastes just like pizza..its crust is super flaky though...but boy is it awesome....also barbecue chicken pizza!!!! omg is that delicious..and i normally hate barbecue stuff. Man im hungry..i wonder what my momma is cookin.

edit: BEEFT STEW!!!!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2003, 03:36:31 PM »
Hot Pockets.  They are awesome too, all different varieties too!!!!

Dinner for me was baked chicken, salad with sliced cucumbers, noodles.  I also don't like barbecue anything.  I used to when I was younger, but as I got older I just decided I don't like it anymore.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2003, 07:56:06 PM »
Bagel bites.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2003, 05:53:53 AM »
Uh...wellll...uh...I don't really know how to respond Grey Ninja.  Now I really feel stupid and weird.  I never thought I'd actually post on this board.  When Gamecube launched I was excited because when I was young and Atari 2600 launched we couldn't afford it.  When I was in my very early 20's I did have a SNES but could only afford a few games.  Now, I have been able to get a Gamecube and a pretty good amount of games.  I started looking at this website at launch and have been ever since.  Something came up where I needed to ask a question, so I got a user name and did so.  From that point, maybe I let myself get too sucked in, but I started out just posting here and there.  Anyway, I am who I say I am.  I don't know what else to say.  

Also, don't think I'm angry or anything.  I just feel as I described above.  Another thing is that I don't know who that is in your avatar, so I don't know what to make of that statement.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2003, 06:06:41 AM »
I'm sorry.  I really am.  I didn't want to make you feel stupid or weird or anything like that.  Not only are you perfectly welcome here, but you are a part of this forum.  You are one of us, and add your own unique presence to this forum.  I am sure that we are all glad that you are here.  Like I said, your posts in this thread have come to make me understand more about who you are, and I am pretty good at identifying the person behind the writing in most cases.  Basically, what I am trying to say is that there aren't enough people like you in the world.  The simple fact that we doubted you is proof enough of that.  I am glad that there are pioneers left in this world.  Thank you for the glimpse of your life at any rate.  

Anyways, I am very happy that you enjoy your GameCube.  Video games are truly one of the few things that man has created that does not have the potential to destroy the world and is ultimately good.

PS:  The person in my avatar is from the Playstation game, Xenogears.  I can't really provide much detail about her without giving some spoilers, but she is the mother of a character in the game.  She's a minor character, but I have always assigned a much deeper personality to her.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »
Gah- everytime I see your link to where you are in America's Army, Ninja, I always think by AA you mean Alcholics Anonymous. I keep thinking "Oh, what step is he on now?", then I think "No you moron, it means America's Army. GOD, how could I be so STUPID! I'm an IDIOT! I'm gonna KILL myself!!" I've got it all sorted out now, though.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2003, 09:15:20 AM »
KnowsNothing had question, KnowsNothing solved it himself, KnowsNothing knows something.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2003, 09:44:29 AM »
Heh.  Better Mouse Clicker?  I also updated the picture a little to show more data.  

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2003, 12:01:51 PM »
Grey Ninja, it's okay.  I understand your questioning who I am.  I guess I just get a little defensive about it.  The one time I mentioned that I was 33, I was replying to the thread about GBA being for 10 year olds.  The only person who said anything in direct response to my post said that if I was a 33 year old mom then he was a transvestite and blah blah blah.  I guess I just feel that my letting my age be known may have been a mistake.  Anyway, don't worry about it.  I know you are not trying be a jerk or anything.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2003, 12:54:22 PM »
You didn't have to change it, I was just pointing out my glitchy short term memory.

Anyway, I think it's great we've got a 33 year old mother on the boards- like Ninja pointed it, only the elitest of gaming nerds (those hardcore enough Nintendo fans to actually post multiple times on a fan site message board) come here and it's interesting to see that that title knows no limitations and stretches into all facets of soceity. It's not that far fetched, though- I remember a guy saying his Grandma was buying all the RPG rereleases on the GBA and playing them for the second time (after already having beaten them on the SNES). He also said she'd call him every so often to ask for help on FF8. It really proves that gaming, and Nintendo in particular, are for all ages.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2003, 08:39:46 AM »
they must ber a transvestite then...

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2003, 11:00:14 PM »
i wouldn't be surprised to find out the different groups of people that browse these forums. i wish that more people outside of the male, 12-20 year old group would make themselves known. Unfortunately for this board, at least recently, we've had a bad run with female posters who "came out".