Author Topic: You know you have a problem when...  (Read 23041 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
You know you have a problem when...
« on: May 28, 2003, 05:31:03 PM »
Today was another job hunting day for me.  I have been unemployed and not in school for the last month.  I am broke, in debt, and I have about enough money to make rent and $25 left over for food.  For food at the moment, I have a bottle of mayo, 2 cans of tuna, and a loaf of bread.  I also have a few cans of soup.

I took my resume to a few places, and Toys R Us was one of the places I took it to.  I filled out a form, and dropped it off, then figured I would check in electronics for the GameCube demo disc.  It turned out that they had them, but they were keeping them behind the counter.  They were giving them out to people who bought GameCube games.  I was a little bewildered at this policy, but kept my mouth shut, as I knew it was a pretty damned good deal.  So I asked if I could buy the disc seperately, knowing that I wouldn't make rent if I bought a game.  The girl said no, as the disc would ring it at $0.01, and the manager said that it could only be given away with a game.  I walked over to the GameCube section, held the $40 Resident Evil in my hands for a few seconds, then left the store.

My willpower didn't even last long enough for me to walk out of the parking lot.  I went back into the store and picked up the last copy of Resident Evil and put it on the counter.  A new girl was behind the counter this time.  I informed her that I would like a demo disc with the game, and showed her where they were kept.  (Toys R Us employees don't keep up with gaming news in this town).  To my surprise, when she passed it through the scanner, it showed up as $14.99.  Knowing I had a chance at making rent, I asked her if I could have just the disc.  She called the manager (again... hehe), and the manager said yes this time.  I passed over the money to pay for the game, and walked out of the store, just as the other lady was coming back to the till.  I could tell that she was kind of miffed that I had gotten away with just buying the demo disc.  I didn't want anyone to take my disc away, so I said thank you and hurried out of the store.

Walking home sounds very simple, but I decided to save the $2 I would normally spend on bus fare and walk home instead.  That involves a walk of about an hour down a hill, and then up the other side.  Today was also a very hot day.  By the time I got home, I was parched, exhausted, and VERY eager to try out Soul Calibur II.  To my surprise, I discovered I had left my key inside the house.

So I did the onyl thing a man in my position could do.  I went to the store and bought donuts with the $1.50 I saved by not taking the bus, went into Dairy Queen and drank water out of the tap until I gave myself a headache, then walked to the school to use the computers.

My roommate usually comes home around 2AM.  I figure I only have about 5 hours to wait and reminisce about my video game addiction that has led me to spending $17 on a demo disc that would have fed me for over a week.  As it is, I can probably roll pennies to last me another week or two, but if I don't find a job soon, I am going to have to see Welfare or the Food Bank.  Or both.

God I wish I had my GBA with me right now.  So anyways, does anyone else have a story about their videogame addiction leading to circumstances that are somewhat "less" than pleasurable?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: You know you have a problem when...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 05:47:20 PM »
My problem is that I can't make up my mind in much of a hurry when it comes to buying a game. I'll spend AGES thinking over, is it really worth it? Should I save my money towards something else? Should I just piss off and go home?

More often, it leads to the last choice, and I'll find myself going home, only to think "crap, I need that game"

... Then I go back to the store =/

That's not very fun!

But damn Grey, that sounded like a suck fest of a day. I'd be going insane if I realized I'd left my keys in the house after all that walking

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 05:54:47 PM »
Heh.  I left out the fact that I found out earlier today that I didn't get a job I really wanted that paid $17/hour.  I went to an interview for it last week.  I was told that I really impressed them though, and I was STRONGLY advised to apply if they had any more jobs available later.  I kind of figure that's their way of saying that I would be a good 2nd choice.    I also found out that my video card's fan died, and I don't have the extended warranty on it like I thought I did.  I have to cough up the money to replace it soon.  I took it to the store today, and they refused to exchange it, so I am also carrying an expensive video card around in my backpack.  

But yeah, I do that a lot too, going back to the store and buy the game I didn't buy before.    I am still kicking myself for not paying the extra $25 for Resident Evil, as it's a game I really want, and that's a damn good price.  I just have some misgivings about it, as it would mean getting up bright and early tomorrow to pawn off a bunch of crap to get the money to make rent.  I was thinking I could probably get a good price for Unreal Tournament 2k3, which I really don't want.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 06:17:14 PM »
The same happens to me.  When I usually go out to buy a game, I have one in mind that I'm after, so it's a matter of going to the shopping centre and hoping EB, Target or Kmart has it.  Target and Kmart are hopeless.  They hardly get any of the new releases, and mainly have the launch titles in stock. And any news ones are the big Nintendo and license games like X-Men: Wolverine's Revenge.  *sobs*

And sometimes, when I see a game on special or low price, I can't make up my mind.  A few weeks ago, when I was in the city, I thought I check out this games specially store (like EB), and they had 2 copies of Vagrant Story for PSOne, which I have seen no where else.  The problem with PS RPGs in Australia, they are hard to find except freakin' FF and Kingdom Hearts.  I stood there for like 10 minutes holding the casing and trying to make my mind up.  The AUS$50 price was not attractive, and I was debating with myself whether I really needed another game.  So, in the end I didn't buy it.  They also had the Mario Party pak, which included the game and a controller for about AUS$30.  I decided not to get it, (I only wanted the controller, it was a cheap way to buy one).  When I got home, I was kicking myself and rang the next day.  They told me you can only buy it when you purchase a GC.  Aw man.

But there have been times in the past, I was kicking myself for not buying it, and went back the next day.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 07:00:12 PM »
hahaha. Lucky me I get 30 bucks a week from my parents.
my first and only job so far was a $8 an hour book hire job at school after the HSC with a friend.
I made $730 all up, and I bought my Gamecube (with free second offical controller) from that. I had bought Rogue LEader for $29 teh week before, and my dad got me Eternal darkness for christmas. My sis bought Harry Potter, and they were the first games we had. Since then, I have bought XG3 (sold it back), Super Monkey Ball 2, Nightfire, and Wind Waker. I also won Star Fox Adventures. Whoo hoo! So in all, gaming hasn't really left me broke.
I'm going to see Phone Booth tomorrow, and maybe Basic as well.

That reminds me. I haven't got my 30 bucks yet.
MUM!!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 08:33:59 PM »
after living in a money drought for so long as soon as i got a job well, 3 gba games an sp 5 gamecube games and a PC later... well, yeah, money is good
next on the list is a new tv, the one im using is dark flicker vision 5000, its kinda hard to see :\ oh and skies of arcadia comes out on the 9th

i have big um and ahh sesions before purchasing games, unless im super hyped about it, like i went to get Metroid Fusion and stood there for about 30 minutes in teh same spot looking at the box, then walking upto the counter only to dash back and get golden sun. incidently i got metroid fusion the following week ^_^

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 09:41:24 PM »
are those aussie dollars?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 10:16:50 PM »
i'm in a similar situation as Grey Ninja. i've been looking for a job for the past three months. Jobs (even crappy ones) are ridiculously hard to come by in the small city. My part time job's pretty much dried up since i've completed all the work they needed me for. i'm living with my mom, which helps, but she's not working, a bit in debt, and will likely only be able to pay rent for another couple of months. i've been surviving on beans and a thin stew made of vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. Or maybe that was Principal Skinner -- i can't remember now. i'm down to about $200 now; enough to pay this month's bills, and have gas and food for a week. i've been ebaying all the crap i can in hopes of scaring up some cash.

A couple weeks ago i got Enter the Matrix. i'm cool with a couple of the guys at the EB i got it from, so i can return it for a full refund (in store credit) as long as it's in new condition. i usually never return a game i buy, but ETM is bad enough to warrant a return, and the hope that Atari will go the way of 3D0. i'm tempted to get a demo disc, or Iridion II for GBA. Both of which would set me back less than $20, and would be well worth it. At the moment, i'll settle for beating Metal Gear Solid again. Mei Ling's voice and and the much-exploited rumble of the Dual Shock in the game are the only comforts i have this late at night.

The first thing i plan on doing when i get working again is to blow a few hundred on something. i'm leaning towards one of those 13 inch LCD screens from Elite Peripherals. Must... job... get.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 04:11:48 AM »
Holy crap, I didn't know it was so difficult for some of you guys.
And yes, Perm, when Infernal, PIAC, AiAi and myslef talk money, it's in Aussie dollars. Hence, a game costs like $90 average here, where in the states, it's like $40.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 07:59:22 AM »
Ehh you guys in Austrlia have got it good compared to NZ in terms of prices. New games come in a t about 130NZD. But not my problem, I import.

But man, would I ever love to help you guys in someway short of sending you stuff. I suppose at this point only I can only wish you luck.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 12:07:02 PM »
Hehe... gotta love the rumble feature in the dual shock eh Aoi Tsuki?    But yeah, you guys who still live with your parents have got it lucky I tell ya.  It just goes straight downhill when you move out.  But I am sorry to hear about your luck anyways Aoi.  

I strongly reccomend the demo disc though, even if you are broke.  I was thinking this morning if it was worth it or not.  I took a look at the new callus on my hand, and gave an emphatic YES!  Soul Calibur II is a VERY good game.  The demo is a little short for my liking, but I have played through it a good 100X in the last day.  

watashi no nihongo wa amari ii desukedo... Game o tsukaite nihongo o hanashitai desu.    nihongo no hanashi no Soul Calibur II wa totemo ii desu yo.  Taki-sama wa kawaii desu ne?  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 02:34:44 PM »
I don't have money problems, but that's just because I don't spend that much on games.  I only have about seven right now (no handheld) and only three or four prospective games.  As for making decisions, I only buy games that I'm really hyped about, so it's not a problem.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 03:21:28 PM »
yeah same.
Nightfire and SMB2 were the only impulse buys i've had.
I don't have a GBA (but I do have A Link to the Past, which I got for free), and I go to my friend's house for multiplayer, so I don't have to invest at all on party games.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 04:10:55 PM »
I don't have money problems.  But the way I buy games I might as well.  I have 11 games on pre-order and am getting a new PS2 when the new one comes out beginning of June, so I have over 700.00 dollars tied up in pre-ordered games.  I placed ordered for 2 games one day, four the next and two more today (Sword of Mana and FFTA, I have been waiting for Ebgames.com to post them so I could order them).  But more than half of the games I got with free shipping so I am only paying 49.99 or 39.99.  I also bought two computers last year, laptop (February) and new desktop (July) both from Dell.  I live at home which is a good thing because I wouldn't be able to afford to live anywhere else, especially after credit card bills, car payment (paying extra each month has shaved off at least one year of balance) and car insurance.  The thing is at least half of the games I ordered were impulse (so was my xbox, gba sp), but if I had to pay shipping for them I wouldn't have gotten them, at least not six months before they come out.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 10:21:13 PM »
holy crap.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 02:24:04 AM »

watashi no nihongo wa amari ii desukedo... Game o tsukaite nihongo o hanashitai desu.  nihongo no hanashi no Soul Calibur II wa totemo ii desu yo. Taki-sama wa kawaii desu ne?

Boku wa dai suki Taki-sama desu yo. Totemo Kawaii desu ne! LOL Boku wa Taki san ni seru jani.

Sorry if it is a bit rusty, have been there for 2 years and I didn't study very hard.

From want I can tell the translation goes, "My Japanese is ok. I play/do Japanese games. The Japanese in Soul Calibur II is generally no problem. Taki-sama is cute no?

Whats your story Grey Ninja?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 08:04:33 AM »
Heh... close.

My Japanese isn't so good.  But I played the game, and now I want to speak Japanese.  The Japanese voice acting in Soul Calibur II is very good.  Taki-sama is cute eh?

As for yours...

I love Taki-sama.  Very cute eh?  I will compete for Taki-san.

Not sure on that last one... I said my Japanese isn't so good.    

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 11:56:25 PM »
Actually, the last sentance would not have made much sense because I don't know how to say"I don't know him/her" That is why I laughed. Good job anyway, more than likely better than me.

Unless you actually go and and live in Japan, there is no way you are going to japanese effectively. Good Luck anyway.

Hehe that link to that hello kitty website is funny. It is so asking for trouble.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 12:20:56 AM »
These of you who have to support yourself make me feel spoilt.  As some of you may know, I’m a university student and I still live with my parents and don’t even pay rent.   But I do pay for all my games and consoles.  Some of my friends from university have to support themselves too.  It makes me feel lucky.

I don’t work when I study and only have gotten a job during the summer holidays.  Except for the 12 months work experience I did which was part of my engineering course.  I saved most of my money, so I have no shortage of cash when it comes to buying games.  

And yeah, that Hello Kitty link was funny as hell.  And dirty...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2003, 05:20:50 AM »
Well, this one time, I left my key in the house in the morning. The bus dropped me off after school and I just realized it. I had to walk three miles to my friend's house to wait for my mom to get home from work so I didn't have to wait outside for three and a half hours.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2003, 12:34:49 PM »
Heh.  You guys are dirty.  It's a massager... not what you are thinking. Or at least that's my story, and I hope it keeps me out of trouble.

oohhboy, I am currently taking Japanese classes, and I have two years left to go before I graduate.  That's enough time to take 4 more Japanese courses.  I don't have a lot of time to study for that class as I keep pretty busy in other classes, but I am trying to learn as much by osmosis as possible.  My grade isn't great, but it's not that bad either.  At any rate, I am hoping to be somewhat conversant by the time I am done.  When I start to expand my vocabulary, I will start playing Japanese video games and try to watch anime without subs.  At the moment, I just don't have that much skill.

Aiai, I actually have a good friend who still lives at home right now.  He keeps wanting to move out, and is trying to save money for it, but I always tell him that he's got a good thing going as it is, and he should stay at home as long as possible.  The grass is always greener though I suppose, and I must admit that I do get away with a lot of stuff I would never get to do at home.  It's just hard trying to survive.

Dirk, I had to wait about an hour and a half on my doorstep waiting for my room-mate to come home the other night.  

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2003, 02:38:17 PM »

Heh. You guys are dirty. It's a massager... not what you are thinking. Or at least that's my story, and I hope it keeps me out of trouble.

TRANCE VIBRATOR. プルプル。。。

It's been a couple years since i've studied Japanese, but i've one note to pass on. When referring to girls who are cute in the attractive sense, use kirei. Kawaii refers to things that are cute in the "cuddly" sense of the word, like puppies or kittens.

Kono shi ga kirei jyoshi juubun motte imasen...

That feels wrong for some reason, but you get the idea.

i've been debating whether or not to get back into Japanese, especially given the fact that i've got the time to do it. i can't afford classes now, not that there's any close by. My main fear is that i'll pick up bad habits in enunciation and in writing, although i was really good at Japanese when i was taking it. i know people who took it for years, but they still lacked finesse in those areas.

One series i'd definitely recommend is Sakura Taisen. The first and second game were on Saturn, and it later received improved Dreamcast versions as well as  two sequels. It's been redone once again on PS2, which is also home to a fifth sequel. There's several spinoff games, like Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns on Saturn and Sakura Taisen Kakyou Show on Dreamcast. It's still wildly popular in Japan.

Sakura Taisen is part strategy RPG and part date sim-style character interaction. You play the role of Iichiroo Oogami, the leader and conveniently the only male member of the Teikoku Kagekidan, a group that performs plays during the day, but is secretly the military force protecting Japan. During the non-battle portions, you'll encounter other characters in the group, and how you speak to them during these portions determines how well they'll fight in the SRPG portion of the game. The best part about the game for Japanese students is that as the characters speak, their lines are displayed on-screen (in kanji of course) as they speak. The character's voices are extremely well-done, especially Orihime Soretta, the Italian girl who first appears in Sakura Taisen 2. Even with a beginner's knowledge of Japanese, it's obvious she's Italian. I love the way she elegantly butchers the word “desu” in nearly every sentence she speaks. Sakura Taisen is one of the most beautiful (not so much graphically, but stylistically) games i've ever played, and also one of the most emotional at times. When i get far enough into Japanese, i'll definitely pick it up again.

i've managed to sell a few items on ebay and help my financial standings a bit. If things get really bad, i've got a digital camera, Minidisc player, and an unopened copy of Steel Battalion to auction off, so i'm not that bad off... yet. Job hunt continues tomorrow. The hunt for demo discs also continues; this small city only has one place that even carries the disc (Kaybee Toys) and they only sell it with the system. あほお!
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2003, 02:47:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice...  I know that kirei was the more acceptable word to use... but I couldn't remember whether it had one or two "i"s and I knew that if I said the wrong one, I would be saying she was scary.  Not that innacurate I suppose, but I figured I would rather have cuddly than scary.  

I have absolutely no way of playing Japanese games right now other than my GameBoy, but I will keep Sakura Taisen in mind for future reference.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2003, 02:48:10 PM »
Grey Ninja damn, save up the money. I'm sure you can always have time to play the demo disc later. YOu #1 priority should be food.

As for ym situation with gaming. I usually decide what game Iw ant before I ang to my parents about taking me to Toys R' Us, or some other store. I fork over my own $50 (I get it by working over the weekeneds at Computer Shows) and then enjoy the game. That's how my routine has been, I usually save up my money. Very conservative guy. People usually call me stingy, but I probably spend more than them.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2003, 10:34:20 PM »
Sakura Taisen is one of the few Japanese games that I am interested in playing.  Sadly, I don't know Japanese.  I'm hoping to enrol in a Japanese course early next year.  Actually, I wanna learn right know, but don't have the time.