Author Topic: You know what really gets me about modern Videogames?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
You know what really gets me about modern Videogames?
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:46:35 AM »
The need to run the full credits after beating the first area or boss.  Super Monkey Ball, FFIII DS, and a few others are starting to do this.  Its really annoying.  Also Obsessive hand holding and harder difficulties that just make the monsters harder.  When I go to a more difficult setting I want more story, more gameplay, and different dialog if applicable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: You know what really gets me about modern Videogames?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »
LOL, the opening credits ran after the first boss in the original Final Fantasy.  "Modern" indeed.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
RE:You know what really gets me about modern Videogames?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
LOL, the opening credits ran after the first boss in the original Final Fantasy.  "Modern" indeed.

Never played it.  I just hadn't really started running into that until recently.  Maybe it was just not in the genres I played.  Though its still annoying.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
I disagree about offering more story in harder difficulties.  I think  that having extra difficulty past the norm itself is the reward.  I would have loved if Super Paper Mario had harder difficulty levels.  I'm also all for having shortcuts to special features for beating a higher difficulty, like what they did in Kingdom Hearts II, where Proud mode players got to see the special ending for just completing the game, whereas normal mode players had to go through the whole journal to see it.  But I don't think content, especially story-based content, should be held back for harder difficulties only.  Thats unfair to new/unskilled players, and possibly even the main market for the game.

I don't mind bonus items and the like for harder difficulties, either, but I don't want to be handed things that actually makes the game easier because you can get it.

And then, you need to think about the industry's perspective on this.  They've spent over a year, most likely, on this game, and a large amount of people see games as a form of art.  Now, of course they want people to see who they are, as the artist, and they have every right to place the credits at the beginning of the game.  Without these people, you wouldn't have any thing to play.

And what's the deal with those airline peanuts?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »
That was the one thing I always hated about Final Fantasy was you always got the credits after you beat Garland and got the bridge rebuilt.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Super Monkey Ball doing this is ABSOLUTELY DUMB! Every time I bring the game to a friends house and have to start a new game on their memory card we have to sit through that crap every single time and just end up turning it off. So it COMPLETELY RUINS THE GAME. It makes the game not EXIST because nobody wants to watch that.

Super Monkey Ball with stupid mandatory credits - 0 / 10

Super Monkey Ball without stupid credits - 10/10

I hope whoever makes this decision in games bursts into flames right NOW

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:46:47 PM »
Golden Sun also rolls the credits after the first interesting boss... except the game ends there.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 02:34:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
I hope whoever makes this decision in games bursts into flames right NOW
But you should know who is responsible; it's probably in the credits.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »
I like games that let you fast forward through the credits (Smash Bros) or have them on the menu as an option, rather than something that's mandatory.  I also don't mind credits that have background action going on while you watch them (Starfox, several Mario games, Zelda, etc).  I don't know that I've ever played a game that's made me watch the credits in the midst of playing, before you beat the game, but I imagine that'd be bothersome.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:07:16 AM »
Super Smash Bros. Melee has the best credits sequence ever.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:52:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Super Smash Bros. Melee has the best credits sequence ever.

Yeah but I wish the shooting would give you a trophy if you did very well.

Also in regards to earlier.  I would never leave out main story in the normal mode but...  Lets say its an RTS, easiest scenario, a lot of them will reference other offensives and the going on of you other commanders when you go from mission to mission.  To make the game harder I wouldn't just allude to these other offensives I would hav you play those as well and then go through the main ones as well.

Another example would be something more akin to sidequests. Maybe some flashback scenarios that develops the characters more than what was deemed needed for story.  Translating what was said by ancients and the like is another good example.  Maybe a new gameplay mechanic that was considered a little to difficult for most people.  To the extreme maybe working the scenario from the other side.

Their/They're/There are games that being more difficult is a reward itself, Excite Truck.  Then their/they're/there are others that being harder by just upping the monster toughness doesn't fill like a reward at all.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:21 AM »
Credits don't bother me as much, especially if it's one time per save.  I don't replay old games that often and when I do I don't skip cutscenes or anything like that.  Final Fantasy VI has opening credits and they're cool.  It has this amazing music and it gives it a big epic movie kind of feel.  I also wouldn't complain about Super Monkey Ball credits for a new save (though that is an odd game to have opening credits in) because if you bring THAT game to someone else's house you should naturally bring your memory card so you don't have to unlock multiplayer modes again.

I'm more annoyed by unskipable logos.  Some games you turn on and you HAVE to wait for the developer's and the publisher's logos to appear.  The first game I ever noticed this on was NBA Jam on the SNES.  Great game for pick-up-and-play but it takes at least a solid minute for the game to allow you to control anything.  I should always be able to get into a game quickly by pressing start.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:37:58 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Golden Sun also rolls the credits after the first interesting boss... except the game ends there.
Ohh.. ice burn.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 10:49:07 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Actually its a really long intermission.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
What I found interesting (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that freaking Super Mario Bros. 3, the game that's been known as (and hopefully still is) THE GAME THAT'S SOLD THE MOST COPIES, EVER (excluding pack-in games), does NOT have credits in the game.  None!

They're probably in the manual or something.  But really, a best-selling game, THE best-selling game, and you don't tell anyone who made it?  It's not like they didn't know it would be a success.

Come to think of it, I don't remember credits in Super Mario Bros. either.  Maybe not even Super Mario Bros. 2, unless I'm mistaken...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 07:39:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I'm more annoyed by unskipable logos.  Some games you turn on and you HAVE to wait for the developer's and the publisher's logos to appear.  The first game I ever noticed this on was NBA Jam on the SNES.  Great game for pick-up-and-play but it takes at least a solid minute for the game to allow you to control anything.  I should always be able to get into a game quickly by pressing start.

On the PC EA loves to do that (and I love how the C&C3 EA logo equates EA with the tiberium: an all consuming poisonous mass) but otherwise logos are usually skippable.

It's a reason I'm glad Chou Shoujuu Mecha MG has no FMVs. Those usually add two more splash screens for the necessary decoders. It's so nice to see a game show only one splashscreen and immediately go to the start screen.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
What I found interesting (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that freaking Super Mario Bros. 3, the game that's been known as (and hopefully still is) THE GAME THAT'S SOLD THE MOST COPIES, EVER (excluding pack-in games), does NOT have credits in the game.  None!

They're probably in the manual or something.  But really, a best-selling game, THE best-selling game, and you don't tell anyone who made it?  It's not like they didn't know it would be a success.

Come to think of it, I don't remember credits in Super Mario Bros. either.  Maybe not even Super Mario Bros. 2, unless I'm mistaken...

I seem to remember if you waited long enough at the title screen the credits would show...