Author Topic: Your misguided sense of loyalty is hurting the games industry  (Read 12969 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
An open letter to Kairon (and people like him):

To whom it may concern,

Your loyalty isn't helping the games industry.

There are many legitimate reasons for not owning multiple consoles - not having enough money, for one. But if you refuse to buy any games or consoles that don't bear the Official Nintendo Seal of Sealiness on principle, to help your "team", you are not doing good.

Wanting to help Nintendo is understandable - you love their products, and have had to suffer through two generations of them struggling in last place. But Nintendo has proven, with the Wii and the DS, that they don't need your charity. So don't give it to them. Instead, do the best thing you can for both the games industry, and your fellow gamers: buy good games, no matter what system they appear on.

Get it out of your head that you need to help Nintendo by buying dreck like Call of Duty 3 for the Wii. Instead, you should be supporting the artists behind Ico, Silent Hill, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami....well, not Okami. Too late for that.

Help make sure more talented development teams aren't disbanded. Help make sure more great games are made. Help yourself learn more about video games and game design. And help Nintendo, by making them work for your dollar. Do all this, just by buying good games.

Sincerely,

Walter "Wa" N. During
WalterNDuring@mailinator.com

(edited the title to be a bit less rude)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Your misguided sense of loyalty is hurting the games industry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »
I'll pass on anymore Ico/Shadow of the Collossus games, I didn't find them enjoyable and thought they were pretty shallow besides the art direction. In regards to the other games I agree, but I also feel a game doesn't need to be Okamiesque in art direction for it to be a great title.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Your misguided sense of loyalty is hurting the games industry
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
No!  Don't listen to him.  Give all your monies to Nintendo.  Heck, just write them a blank check and mail it to them.  Nintendo deserves your life.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I'll pass on anymore Ico/Shadow of the Collossus games, I didn't find them enjoyable and thought they were pretty shallow besides the art direction. In regards to the other games I agree, but I also feel a game doesn't need to be Okamiesque in art direction for it to be a great title.

Hey! We finally agree on something! :p .

I bought ICO a few years ago because everyone was going batcrap crazy about it. I played it for like 3 hours and grew bored with it. The art style was great, yeah, but the whole was indeed shallow.

And wandering, why do you care if Kairon only buys Nintendo games or the Nintendo version of multi console games?

It's his money and he does whatever he wants with it. He has an odd sense of loyalty, yeah, but its his life.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:21 PM »
Yeah but Kairon is obviously a secret Sony spy by praising high unit sales in January, and dooming the Wii to oblivion (Ok I may have stretched that a bit!). He also praises Halo! Halo of all things.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Get it out of your head that you need to help Nintendo by buying dreck like Call of Duty 3 for the Wii. Instead, you should be supporting the artists behind Ico, Silent Hill, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami....well, not Okami. Too late for that.

100+ M-I-L-L-I-O-N PS2s were sold...do you really think they needed our support? If those games didn't sell enough you can point your guilty finger at the publishers that didn't do enough of a good job.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 03:59:57 PM »
A better solution: Wandering buys numerous copies of all of the games out there which he decrees have "artistic merit".

Problem solved.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
I like Halo its a fun game.

I don't agree with fanboyism either. I had an NES, switched to Genesis, got Ps1 and N64 same day, then GC, now a Wii and I want a 360. Good games are good games no matter who makes them. and COD3 was a good game btw.

Plus Halo 3 will crush ps3.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:04:05 PM »
We need to teach devs that their games should be on Nintendo consoles or they will go under.

Heck, I just want to see Sony actually try and support a system themselves for once.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »

I'll pass on anymore Ico/Shadow of the Collossus games, I didn't find them enjoyable and thought they were pretty shallow besides the art direction.

I find them deep...

And wandering, why do you care if Kairon only buys Nintendo games or the Nintendo version of multi console games?

It's his money and he does whatever he wants with it. He has an odd sense of loyalty, yeah, but its his life.

Other people's purchasing decisions indirectly affect me.

edit: also, I think I get annoyed with Nintendo-only gamers because I used to be one myself. I'm annoyed with myself for cutting myself off from so many great games on the PSX and PS2. And I feel guilty about not buying a copy of Okami before Clover was disbanded (even though, of course, one copy wouldn't have made a difference.)

100+ M-I-L-L-I-O-N PS2s were sold...do you really think they needed our support?

It couldn't hurt.

We need to teach devs that their games should be on Nintendo consoles or they will go under.

Why?  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
Because Nintendo = Good, Sony = Evil, duh.

Screw non-games like Ico, everyone go buy Toca Race Driver 3.  

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
I know that Sony is evil, and they're just using gaming to further their diabolical plot of taking over the world, but....they did fund the development of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, and Nintendo didn't. They did give Factor 5 the hardware they needed to make Lair, and Nintendo didn't. Sony enables good games to be made, isn't that worth supporting? And if it isn't, why do we even support Nintendo in the first place? And think about this: great as Nintendo is, would them having a monopoly on the console market really be a good thing? Didn't they kind of abuse their monopoly on the handheld market?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 06:08:27 PM »
Yes, yes Great One, decree how we are to spend our gaming dollars. Wandering, you are sounding like a real pompous windbag; did you move to Oregon?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 06:29:20 PM »
Honestly.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 08:10:35 PM »
"Sony enables good games to be made"

This is funhouse material
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »
I'm more worried about Kairon giving publishers the idea that Nintendo fanboys will buy anything thrown at them as long as it's exclusive to a Nintendo console.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I'm more worried about Kairon giving publishers the idea that Nintendo fanboys will buy anything thrown at them as long as it's exclusive to a Nintendo console.

But isn't that already true?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:34 PM »
Alright, PICK ONE

a) Nintendo fans don't buy third party games because compared to Nintendos own efforts, they usually suck.

b) Nintendo fans buy third party games because compared to Nintendos own efforts, they usually suck.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 12:12:32 AM »
Posting in a legendary hilarious thread

Shift "Shifty" Key
shufty@nwr.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 12:24:49 AM »
But isn't that already true?

No, Nintendo fanboys buy everything that is MADE BY Nintendo. Kairon buys every crappy game that's released on a Nintendo platform. In fact, Kairon is more likely to buy a game the crappier it is.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
Buy games because you think you'll like them.  The end.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 04:45:40 AM »
I agree with Ian.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Sony enables good games to be made, isn't that worth supporting?

Over a company that makes good games themself? ...wait, isn't that a counterpoint to this whole argument?

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Buy games because you think you'll like them.  The end.

We have a winner.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
To be honest I do it, but not Nintendo, SEGA. Sometimes I buy a game just cuz Sega made it and dont even play it after the intial purchase. I go back and forth on who I like more, Nintendo or Sega but its always pretty close. Niether come close to Midway though, the're my all time favorite just cuz MK is my favorite series period.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
To be honest I do it, but not Nintendo, SEGA. Sometimes I buy a game just cuz Sega made it and dont even play it after the intial purchase. I go back and forth on who I like more, Nintendo or Sega but its always pretty close. Niether come close to Midway though, the're my all time favorite just cuz MK is my favorite series period.

Sega is a shell of its former self though.