Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553626 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4225 on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
Christ of Steel
I liked it despite the heavy handed Jesus imagery. I'm not trying to make this into a religious discussion. It's just the most overused trope in movies and Zach Snyder was not subtle about it at all. I kind of feel like it cheapens the movie when the filmmakers are so overt with symbolism. I'm not against symbolism so long as you're not beating me over the head with it.

The final battle was totally Goku vs. Vegeta. I actually thought the Faora fight in Smallville was the best action scene of the film, probably because it was easier to follow. In fact, I think Faora upstaged General Zod as the villain (Michael Shannon was awesome) and not just because everything Antje Traue said and did was the sexiest thing ever. I felt like Zach Snyder made it a point to technically not to kill her off. Ultimately, I got what I wanted from it: a solid comic book action movie.

This Is The End
Hilarious. I've read reviews stating that people might not enjoy it if they weren't already fans of this group, but I feel like that goes without saying. If you didn't like past collaborations with these dudes, why would you give this movie a second thought?

They spend a little too much time in the house. I wonder if Danny McBride will ever not be a ****-up. Michael Cera was awesome. I have no idea what happened to Paul Rudd.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4226 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
I keep hearing good things about TITE. However, the ONLY movie I ever like Seth Rogen in was Guilt Trip, and the only thing I found Michael Cera funny in was Arrested Development, so I am not sure I would enjoy it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: June 25, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Michael Cera plays the opposite of every role he's had, including and especially George Michael Bluth, which is what was so entertaining about his part. He's barely in This Is The End though.

If you're not a fan of Seth Rogen, I can't recommend this movie to you. I like most of his work I've seen (going all the way back to Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared), but I admit he's polarizing. If this shows up on Netflix in the future, you may want to check it out. Otherwise, there's a lot of Seth Rogen being Seth Rogen so it's probably not worth the price of admission.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: June 25, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
I did not do what is now my favorite movie of 2013 so far with my review from earlier. Ahem...

Dear 'Ooga Booga',

If racism were poetry, you'd be put along side T.S. Eliot and Sir Walter Raleigh. You'd be cherish for all time. If not for all time, then at least by Oprah. There is a point in your movie where you have a white neighbor barge into a black neighbor's house, and the ensuing diatribe is something that I like to call "perfect racism." I laughed so hard I had to immediately re-watch it again. There are in fact several parts of this movie I needed to re-watch again, either for the terrible acting or brilliant writing. If you were meant to be taken seriously, I didn't. Hell, I couldn't. You made sure of that in the first minute of your movie when you had a wasted children's show star throw up on set in front of all the little kids. And really, your better off for it. Everything about your movie is awful. And that's why I'll probably watch you again.

Your innocent African American friend,
Stogi

10 out of 10

?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: June 26, 2013, 02:17:52 AM »
Man of Steel

While not as bad as some people have suggested, Man of Steel, like it's protagonist, is a big, bulky, thudding, self-serious mess of an action film. The writing is terrible, the visuals are stunning and the characters exist simply to push exposition.

I must say though, that scene where the camera trails Superman as he flies through Metropolis at great speed looked amazing.

Gouge away.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:11 AM »
My friend thought Pa Kent's death was stupid, i thought it was okay. In general Costner's scenes were very well done, it's sappy, even corny stuff but you need it to make a good Superman story.

I thought that scen was so fucking stupid. He died over a fucking dog. That bit alone killed any significance of the scene for me.

Exactly. Over a dog that you never see again!.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »

Exactly. Over a dog that you never see again!.

Maybe it's Krypto the Superdog?
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
There were two dogs.

One from Clark's childhood (Hank) which died i guess and then they got a new one.

It's both a reference to Krypto and Shelby from "Superman: For All Seasons". Shelby was also in Smallville because Jeph Loeb, author of the book was also a producer and he made first season of that show as close to his book as he could.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: June 26, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
I did not do what is now my favorite movie of 2013 so far with my review from earlier. Ahem...

Dear 'Ooga Booga',

If racism were poetry, you'd be put along side T.S. Eliot and Sir Walter Raleigh. You'd be cherish for all time. If not for all time, then at least by Oprah. There is a point in your movie where you have a white neighbor barge into a black neighbor's house, and the ensuing diatribe is something that I like to call "perfect racism." I laughed so hard I had to immediately re-watch it again. There are in fact several parts of this movie I needed to re-watch again, either for the terrible acting or brilliant writing. If you were meant to be taken seriously, I didn't. Hell, I couldn't. You made sure of that in the first minute of your movie when you had a wasted children's show star throw up on set in front of all the little kids. And really, your better off for it. Everything about your movie is awful. And that's why I'll probably watch you again.

Your innocent African American friend,
Stogi

10 out of 10

?

Just watch it. You'll thank me.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4234 on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
I haven't posted the other movies I have seen recently, but I want to say I just watched Spring Breakers. How the HELL does this have 65% on Rotten Tomatoes? The movie is a piece of trash, one of the worst movies I have EVER seen. The movie actually got worse as it went along, and now even the copious amounts of bare tits made the movie worth watching. I almost think that staring at a blank wall for 90 minutes would have been more entertaining. This movie HAS to sweep the Razzies, there is nothing redeeming about the movie as it has bad acting, writing, directing, producing, and cinematography.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
I haven't posted the other movies I have seen recently, but I want to say I just watched Spring Breakers. How the HELL does this have 65% on Rotten Tomatoes? The movie is a piece of trash, one of the worst movies I have EVER seen. The movie actually got worse as it went along, and now even the copious amounts of bare tits made the movie worth watching. I almost think that staring at a blank wall for 90 minutes would have been more entertaining. This movie HAS to sweep the Razzies, there is nothing redeeming about the movie as it has bad acting, writing, directing, producing, and cinematography.
I bet you wish you were one of these Pinkie Pies instead of watching that movie now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: June 27, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »
With a 15 month old and not having that much disposable income, I've been avoiding going to the theaters for the past few years unless my wife really, really wants to see something.  This of couse makes my last few theater viewings a bit disappointing, to say the least (Oz: The Great and Powerful, and The Five Year Engagement were my last two theater viewings...very mediocre).

So once I saw The Avengers on Netflix, it was exciting to me, because that was a movie that I was genuinely interested in seenig, despite my comic bock knowledge being limited to 90s cartoon versions of the characters, as well as The Avengers arcade game.

I have to say, for someone who just has general knowlege of these superheros, it's a surprisingly approachable and fun movie.  Admittedly, I hadn't seen the Thor or Captian America movies, but they provide just enough detail to where they aren't that necessary to enjoy this one.

One thing I will mention: This movie definitely focuses more around Iron Man than anyone else, which works for me since I've seen both movies, but I'll be curious to see if they focus on any of the Avengers better in the sequel, given how underdeveloped they seem in comparison.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
You hit the nail on the head about why Ironman was the focus.  Thor is a good movie for setting up Shield in a way but, Captain America you should see and there both up on Netflix last I checked.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: June 30, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
Man of Steel was fucking great I don't see what there is too complain about. This is the way a Superman movie should be made, and it wasn't possible to make such a movie until recent years.

Yes, there was quite a bit of Christ parallels, but like the source material, this movie is a work of fiction, so whatever.

The special effects were simply amazing. Amazing. Aside from the basis that nothing like what happens in the movie can ever really happen, there isn't one split second where you can say "that looks fake," because it simply doesn't.

Would I put it up there with Iron Man or Dark Knight/Rises? Probably pretty close in my book. Is it better than all of the other Superman movies? Yes. You can argue that it's not, but that's just nostalgia talking.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: June 30, 2013, 01:49:09 AM »
Brandogg I fucking love you. Man of Steel was freaking awesome and it upsets me how much hate it is getting.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: June 30, 2013, 04:01:52 AM »
Hey, i liked the movie too.

Despite that (or maybe because) i'm a huge Superman fan.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4241 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
Nobody complained about the special effects in Man of Steel (I don't think). And you're right: they're amazing. Maybe they're not getting much praise, but I think the rest of the movie is what makes it fall a flat. There were more than a few things that just bothered me about the film that had nothing to do with how good it looked.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4242 on: July 01, 2013, 12:12:40 AM »
Superman would have done all that he could to take the fight away from populated areas. The special effects are awesome. The story is not Superman. He's supposed to be a boy scout, instead he comes off as barely self aware, and absolutely oblivious to everything else around him, EXCEPT THAT ONE HELICOPTER. Thank god he at least saved the dude from CSI.

And I still strongly disagree that Supes would kill with his bare hands.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: July 08, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »
Silent Hill Revelation
I has initially (cautiously) excited about this movie because I liked the first one and Adelaide Clemens looked good as Heather. I would go through all the pros and cons, but pretty much Adelaide Clemens looking like Heather from Silent Hill 3 was the only positive though it would have been nice if they got Jodelle Ferland to come back. Honestly, since this was such a train wreck, I'm surprised they got pretty much everyone else from the original, even Radha Mitchell for like 10 seconds of screen time (and 2 more seconds in a deleted scene).

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: July 08, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Nobody complained about the special effects in Man of Steel (I don't think). And you're right: they're amazing. Maybe they're not getting much praise, but I think the rest of the movie is what makes it fall a flat. There were more than a few things that just bothered me about the film that had nothing to do with how good it looked.

Sounds like a typical Zach Snyder film; all flash, no substance (though his Dawn of the Dead remake was awesome).

With David S Goyer penning the script, and Christopher Nolan producing, you'd think the film would have turned out better.

And how can people still be impressed by CG effects? I'd be more impressed if it was all practical effects (like The Thing, and the T-Rex head in Jurassic Park).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4245 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
Because when the CG effects are done well, they are more impressive than any "practical" effect and can do more.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Good CGI is so good that you don't realize that it is CG. That's the point.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 09, 2013, 02:19:18 AM »
Because when the CG effects are done well, they are more impressive than any "practical" effect and can do more.

Disagree 100%. No CG effect looks as good/believable as anything in 2001, original Star Wars trilogy, ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, THE THING, etc. EVIL DEAD 2 wouldn't have half the charm it does with computer effects. 1982 puppet ET works a hell of a lot better than 2002 CGI ET. CG effects, while getting better and certainly not without their place, are still very obvious to me. Practical may not be as "technically" perfect as CG, but that's kind of what makes it great. Its flaws and limits are what make it more believable and give the effects life. Personally, on a fundamental level, I don't think I'll ever be as impressed with something made in a computer as I am with an awesome miniature, puppet, actually shooting on location instead of in front of a green screen, or just doing the effect for real.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:16 AM »
Once again, it's because all you know is the bad CGI, which is easy and cheap to make these days. You haven;t seen the good stuff because you don't know it exists. Don't insult the hardworking VFX guys like that.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:03 AM »
I should be seeing Despicable Me 2 today. Debating that or go and enjoy the nice weather.

Once again, it's because all you know is the bad CGI, which is easy and cheap to make these days. You haven;t seen the good stuff because you don't know it exists. Don't insult the hardworking VFX guys like that.

I always use this example, but look at Stargate Universe in HD. That show has some of the best CGI i've ever seen and it was made by a movie VFX studio, not a TV one.

Some things like Man of Steel, Inception, F-Zero and so on all work better now because the technology has finally caught up to the ideas.