Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553837 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3900 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
Watched quite a few movies on vacation:

PARANORMAN - Stopped watching it 45 minutes in. I appreciated the stop-motion animation (I always do), but the story just wasn't doing anything for me. I don't like zombies. I'm kinda over them.

Finish this movie. It's great. It's so much more than just a zombie movie.

ZERO DARK THIRTY - Just got outta this one. It's somethin'. I suspect Jennifer Lawrence (and everything else SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK-related) will win best actress at the Oscars because the Oscars are the Weinstein show, but Jessica Chastain deserves it. She does a perfect job personifying Maya with minimal "character" moments given to her in the film. ZDT is a sometimes dry, usually intense and fascinating procedural with its humanity entirely provided by Chastain. This movie is far worse without Chastain. ZDT is a lot like ZODIAC, but instead of an ambiguous ending, we get a super intense final act even though you know how it ends. I really liked it.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
Conan The Barbarian (2011)-
Watched it out of morbid curiosity and it killed the cat. Watch a **** movie. The bloody Hercules and Xena TV show is better than this. I think Scorpion King is better than this. **** I wasted my life.

seriously? ouch. I was curious too, figured it'd be a decent popcorn action flick but after reading this I'm scared to bother with it..

also, the reason I came to this thread:

3 TIMES IN A ROW NETFLIX HAS SENT ME A BROKEN BATMAN DVD. WHY DO PEOPLE HATE BATMAN!

:(
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »
You don't remember reading my review of Conan? Let me jog your memory.

Every scene it seemed like someone just got done raping her, but in a bad way. You know what I mean.

You mean like actual rape?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
hahahaaha that's twice now you guys have done this to me.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3904 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
I liked Conan. Not as much as Arnold, but I've liked Jason Momoa in Stargate Atlantis and am comfortable with his acting (non-acting action sequences). It's a shame you feel The Scorpion King is better, that was a throw-away movie. And I like The Rock in most movies he's done.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: January 19, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »
I liked Conan. Not as much as Arnold, but I've liked Jason Momoa in Stargate Atlantis and am comfortable with his acting (non-acting action sequences). It's a shame you feel The Scorpion King is better, that was a throw-away movie. And I like The Rock in most movies he's done.

how was that Tooth Fairy movie?

I don't think I've seen too many movies with him, but the ones I have been were enjoyable; even The Scorpion King. His best role IMO was The Other Guys hahaha..

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3906 on: January 19, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
The Campaign - Much better than the trailer makes it seem. Funny movie, even if you don't care about politics (they make some realistic observations, like how people like the Koch brothers think they can use their money to buy the results they want). The ending is kinda sweet.

Little Miss Sunshine - I wonder why I waited so long to see it. So funny. Olive is adorable in a geeky way and I love how she is happy with who she is. That grampa holds nothing back and is so foul mouthed. It really is a must-see movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: January 19, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
The Scorpion King is a half ass self parody on the whole sub genere. It's like Arnold doing Shakespeare in Last Action Hero. The final result was no doubt accidental as the tone is wildly inconsistent throughout the movie.

I feel sorry for Jason Momoa. Conan could have sunk his career. Luckily he has Game of Thrones which no doubt saved it along with his Stargate following.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: January 19, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
but what if I saw Scorpion King because I knew it was a half assed self parody?

Little Miss Sunshin is a fantaaastic movie and makes me wish Abigail whatever would stay that age forever, it was odd seeing her in Zombieland slightly grown up.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: January 19, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
Conan with Mamoa is best viewed with a friend making fun of it. At which point it's kinda entertaining. Kinda a movie that can be watched in the background at parties, and for some reason its better that way.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: January 19, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
Les Miserables 7.5/10

Looks nice. Lotsa singing, mostly well done. A bit long.

I think you have to already be familiar with and enjoy the source material to get the most out of it. I wasn't personally really invested in any particular character's story.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: January 19, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
Little Miss Sunshine - I wonder why I waited so long to see it. So funny. Olive is adorable in a geeky way and I love how she is happy with who she is. That grampa holds nothing back and is so foul mouthed. It really is a must-see movie.

The producers of 'Litte Miss Sunshine' also put out 'Safety not Guaranteed' (although saying 'the producers of' probably doesn't mean much). If you liked LMS you might like SNG. It's whimsical in a similar way.
Gouge away.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: January 19, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »

I don't think I've seen too many movies with him, but the ones I have been were enjoyable; even The Scorpion King. His best role IMO was The Other Guys hahaha..

Kind of ashamed to admit this, but The Tooth Fairy is actually pretty good, for a family comedy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

Kind of ashamed to admit this, but The Tooth Fairy is actually pretty good, for a family comedy.

Since most of the regs on here know you have kids (too many kids..?) there is no reason to be ashamed. I don't have kids of my own but I like taking nieces and nephews off their parents hands every now and again - I'm sure if I saw it with the kids it'd be enjoyable. Too bad I couldn't say the same Vin Diesel's The Pacifier. /smh

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »
Steven Merchant is pretty funny in Tooth Fairy. It's not bad but probably a better experience seeing it with kids.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #3915 on: January 21, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
The Impossible. This movie drops you in the middle of the 2004 Asian tsunami REALLY effectively. It's pretty terrifying. A very intense and harrowing experience. I felt a little shell-shocked after watching. Also, I love Naomi Watts.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
Dear Django Unchained,

You show in hilarious fashion the reason why random strangers come up to me and say they hate white people. Who's next on the chopping block, Tarantino? General Mao? I'm sure a lot of Chinese people would love to see that. I suggest using Ip Man as your lead actor.

Watching you several times I'm sure,
Stogi

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: January 21, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
Transformers Dark of the Moon... except for the battle scenes with Optimus Prime there was nothing else of importance to retain my attention.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: January 22, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Batman Returns

Finally after 4 fucking tires I get a non-damaged netflix disc. While leagues better than Batman, I still can't help but feel it's it's completely outclassed by the Dark Knight trilogy. Guess I like my batman a little more serious.

Oh it didn't help that the second you see the Penguin in full figure, all I heard in my head was Mac and Dennis yelling "Jesus, Frank why do you smell like ****?!" hahaha

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
hahaha nice

Life of Pi

Takes a few liberties from the book but adds the most compelling imagery I have seen in a movie to date. Like Khush, there are quite a few moments that I will never forget. Amazing.

If I had to pick which medium to enjoy it in, I would still pick the book. It's more complete. But man, they did a great job with the movie. Probably my favorite of last year.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
speaking of compelling imagery, did anyone see that last tom  hanks movie to come out? it looked interesting but it didn't seem to last in my theaters very long.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3921 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
The movie lost major money for the studio. It cost $102 million to make and only grossed $71 million in theatres (which means the studio only actually got about $35 million since movie theatres get about half of it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: January 23, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
When a studio has a slow gros for a movie, you'd think they would try to keep it in theaters longer
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: January 23, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
whats it called???

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #3924 on: January 23, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »
Cloud Atlas.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?