Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553622 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3325 on: June 16, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »
Well, I recently won 2 tickets to see Brave on Tuesday night at an Advance Screening down at Downtown Disney, so I'm looking forward to that next week.  Unfortunately, the tickets are for a 3D showing.  I hope the theater has "2D glasses" for this movie like they apparently had for Avengers.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 16, 2012, 12:55:17 AM »
Don't like 3D?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 16, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »
Don't like 3D?

No.  I really don't.  I'm finding over the years that my physical tolerance for it is steadily getting worse, with increasingly worse headaches from even short experiences with it (like when I recently rode the new Star Tours at MGM, which is now a 3D ride.  And before you bring it up, I love motion simulators and Star Tours is a pretty tame ride.).

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 16, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »
You may not want to get a 3DS then.

I used to hate 3D but ever since I got my 3DS I barely even notice it anymore.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: June 16, 2012, 01:07:27 AM »

Yeah, I've said this before but I had a really bad experience with a 3DS demo unit with the 3D enabled, and it's soured me on the handheld ever since (and yes, I know you can disable it. It just seems to defeat the purpose of a large part of the 3DS cost).  As a gimmick, 3D is neat and all (though I still don't think it's as great as the entertainment industry wants me to), but it just physically causes me problems.  Maybe it's this newer type of 3D that's the problem, because the older 3D rides at Disney like Mickey's Phillarmagic and Muppetvision 3D don't give me any problems at all.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: June 16, 2012, 01:09:59 AM »
Was it that red and blue 3D?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: June 16, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
Was it that red and blue 3D?

No, just a much older form of the clear-lens 3D (1991 and 2003).  For that matter, The Amazing Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure uses that as well, and I feel fine after riding it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:14:49 AM by broodwars »

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 16, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

Yeah, I've said this before but I had a really bad experience with a 3DS demo unit with the 3D enabled, and it's soured me on the handheld ever since (and yes, I know you can disable it. It just seems to defeat the purpose of a large part of the 3DS cost).  As a gimmick, 3D is neat and all (though I still don't think it's as great as the entertainment industry wants me to), but it just physically causes me problems.  Maybe it's this newer type of 3D that's the problem, because the older 3D rides at Disney like Mickey's Phillarmagic and Muppetvision 3D don't give me any problems at all.

I rarely, if ever, use the 3D function on my 3DS.  I suspect that many people are in the same boat.  The one exception might be certain levels of Kid Icarus Uprising and StarFox 64 3DS, just because the flight levels look so pretty.  Most of the time, I find that the 3D isn't worth the eye fatigue and battery life drain.

Man, what I wouldn't give for Factor 5 to make a return and release a Rouge Leader remake on 3DS.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
i just don't like the effect of 3D...on my wallet, other than that im fine with it. I watched Transformers 3 in IMAX 3D, big fucking whoopty doo.  The movie sucked too.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: June 16, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
Spider-Man at Universal was recently changed...I think it might use stereoscopic 3D now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: June 16, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Spider-Man at Universal was recently changed...I think it might use stereoscopic 3D now.

Yeah, I rode that ride on the last day of my seasonal pass before it expired (I have Disney passes again, now).  The visuals are a lot clearer now, and they've made a few adjustments to certain character designs and special effects.  For example, Doc Oc now has a character design similar to his Spider-Man 2 version (with the black jacket and more normal haircut), though oddly his pre-show animated version is still the goofy yellow & green design with the Rock Lee haircut.  The "drop" at the end is much better now, too.  I did come away from the ride a bit dizzy, but the ride is still good.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: June 16, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Chop  that was a pretty entertaining movie, great ending too.

Why did the Chicken cross the road? To get to the other side!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:48:59 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: June 17, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »
It's been out for several years, but I finally just watched the theatrical release version of Red Cliff on Netflix.  It's based on a battle that took place just before the Three Kingdoms period in China.  I'm not overly-familiar with Chinese history, so I had a hard time keeping the large number of characters straight at first.  That being said, the movie itself was pretty awesome, lots of great action, music and cinematography.  It's pretty great if you happen to like both martial arts movies and war epics, even though I'm fairly certain aspects of the history were dramatically embellished.   

Highly recommended.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: June 17, 2012, 03:09:05 AM »
Chronicle 8/10 i went in to it with the expectation that it would fall apart during the end, but it wasn't as bad as people said. I rented it for a dollar, though. So, i didnt have any problems. It was American Akira, but again i haven't watched Akira in 10 years.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: June 17, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »
Chronicle 8/10 i went in to it with the expectation that it would fall apart during the end, but it wasn't as bad as people said. I rented it for a dollar, though. So, i didnt have any problems. It was American Akira, but again i haven't watched Akira in 10 years.

My thought exactly.

Ghost Rider: Vengeance
..... This franchise has been forever ruined. Marvel needs to put a ban on a third one ever seeing production. Marvel needs to take some of that Avengers money and buy back Ghost Rider, The Punisher, Fantastic 4, X-Men & Spiderman back from everyone that has them, or amend the contracts that the movies made using their properties must be good, profitable and not aimed at ruining the properties, otherwise you forfeit the property rights.
The amount of bad gifs i could make of this movie are so high, you would have practically seen the entire movie by the time i was done.  I'm not really familiar with Ghost Rider in the comics other than a few basics from some appearances in other comics, but I'm pretty sure that getting blown up doesn't allow him to hover 5 ft off the ground in a flat back spin that he can control enough to stop the spin (yet still hover in mid air) and look at you as if this was the exorcist. Everything about this movie is horrible and I wish I followed my instincts and didn't waste 45 minutes watching it (I didn't finish it) and I don't recommend you watch it either... Unless it's for MFT purposes.

Rating:  :-\ :-\ :confused; :Q :-[

edit: Nic Cage is the worst part of this movie, and that says alot, because all of it was bad.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:33:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: June 17, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »
It's pretty great if you happen to like both martial arts movies and war epics, even though I'm fairly certain aspects of the history were dramatically embellished.

Compared to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms(三国) it is based off of it isn't embellished.  That has (historical) characters creating storms and fighting thousands, a combination of myth, legend and history.

I enjoyed Red Cliff quite a bit too and I would recommend it.  Since watching it I have been burned out on Three Kingdoms movies though since China keeps pushing different ones out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: June 18, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
Prometheus It didnt revolutionize me, it didn't bore me. Far from mediocre it was pretty dazzling, everyone left the theatre with questions. Not me that is, because I don't spend my time on dumb questions. The problem Prometheus has is the problem that most all space scifi has is that its in the shadow of Alien, which is an awesome movie. It was nice seeing zero suit Samus make an appearance. I kid. But yeah definitely know who I would have play Samus if i could. I have 3-4 choices as of now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: June 18, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
Watched Robocop finally.  I have to say its very typical 80's.  Getting hit by a gun in that universe is less deadly but more gruesome.  I see the potential for a good movie there and see why all the spin-offs.  This is not that good movie.  An ok movie.  Though it is nice to see what happens to Red after the 70's. :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »
i hope you're watching Robocop through the lens of Paul Veerhoven, that is look at it on another level than the level it presents itself. That is its a satirical critique on things, its not just what it is on face value.

like for instance its hilarious when people take star ship troopers on face value, when you get into what its actually saying its nothing what it seems.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: June 18, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
i hope you're watching Robocop through the lens of Paul Veerhoven, that is look at it on another level than the level it presents itself. That is its a satirical critique on things, its not just what it is on face value.

like for instance its hilarious when people take star ship troopers on face value, when you get into what its actually saying its nothing what it seems.
Yes, that's why I put in that it has a potential to be a good movie the foundation is solidly there.  The actors among other things were not.  I would go to a modern remake.  There some good messages there.  Especially about technology and corruption.  Ironically enough a lot of the same themes are explored in The Cape which just went on Nexflix streaming it seems.  I would go as far to say if you like Robocop then definitely watch the Cape.  It feels very much the same thinking about it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
Starship Troopers is my favorite movie, despite the fact that I now hate Robocop, it's still one of my favorites too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: June 19, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Well, I just got back from seeing Brave in 3D and...I have very mixed feelings about this movie.  It's a very solid, enjoyable fantasy film that's never boring; has incredibly detailed and fluid animation; and has several very well-voiced and memorable characters.  If all you're looking for is some light entertainment for 1 1/2 hours, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy Brave.

However, at this point I really expect a lot more from a Pixar film, especially after the safe mediocrity of Toy Story 3 and the LCD garbage of Cars 2.  Make no mistake: this is a far better film than those two were, but unfortunately if I had to sum this movie up in a single word it would be "safe".  The film hits its marks and guides the audience coherently from scene to scene, but there's just nothing "daring" or "risky" about the film in the way I'd describe Pixar's earlier films.  There is nothing in this film that you haven't seen before in one form or another in a previous Disney film, and it often feels like the writers are pulling their punches.

I'm going to be putting out some spoilers from here on out.  They'll be spoiler-tagged, but in case you don't want to accidentally read them, you've been warned.

Unfortunately, where I think the movie really goes wrong is around the 1/3 portion of the film where a heavy magical element comes into play.  To be more specific, the main character accidentally turns her mother into a bear, suddenly giving the film a suddenly very jarring and silly feel out-of-place with the tone of the film up until that point.  This is where Brave somewhat lost me, because the moment I saw that, I just couldn't get images out of my head of the terrible Disney animated film Brother Bear.  While the animation on that character is really well-done and outright hilarious for the rest of the film, I just wasn't interested because I'd seen that trick done before and there just had to be another way to convey the character development desired that would have had more of a dramatic punch to it.  The ending overall just feels "too easy" and wrapped-up too neatly, as well.

And to be honest, I'm kind of indifferent on the main character, who at the beginning of the film is such a "Disney Princess" I expected her to break out her "I Want" song at any moment.  She's certainly spunky and fun to watch, but she's more than a little bit of a selfish brat for most of the movie, and in the end she pretty much gets what she wants without really having to sacrifice anything or grow as a character.  Her mother is the one who has the most character growth.  Sure, she comes to appreciate how her mother is willing to sacrifice for her, but she never acknowledges that just maybe her line of thinking wasn't the one true path.  The movie reminds me a lot of Eden of the East in a way in that there's this overall tone of "adults are stupid and usually the problem, and we young people know what's best for our future!"  I don't think that's what the writers meant, but that's the tone the film seems to set.

It's also kind of odd just how much time the movie devotes to showing that the main character is a superb archer, and yet there's never really a payoff for this throughout the film outside of a single shot at the end of the film.  And in that case, she fires the arrow from off-screen during a close-up so the audience can't really appreciate the difficulty of the shot.  There's also some really weird implementation of what sounded like Scottish pop music throughout the film, which just felt a little mis-timed and out-of-place (but not bad).

End Spoilers

Brave is a good film with some incredible animation (particularly hair and grass).  I enjoyed seeing it, and I'll probably buy the 2D Blu-Ray when it inevitably releases later this year.  But the film just feels fairly toothless and lacking in that wild creativity I've come to expect from a Pixar film.   As for the 3D, the theater did not have 2D glasses so I had to watch the film in 3D.  Thankfully, because the film uses very gentle camera movement and not terribly rapid character animation, I only had a minimal amount of dizziness by the ending credits (and that was mostly as a result of some fast camera panning or the cinematographer getting cute with Depth of Field).  The 3D was very nice and subtle.  Despite this being a movie with archery, I don't think there was a single shot in the movie where an object was hurled into the camera.  Instead, the object is hurled at an angle so it goes past the camera off to the side, and that worked really well.  However, I didn't appreciate how dim the picture was with the glasses on.  This is a movie with some fantastic lighting and coloring, and that's just...wasted in 3D with the dimmed lighting of the 3D glasses.  If you can, I'd suggest you see the film in 2D and enjoy the visual splendor.

By the way, Pixar's next movie is "Monsters University", because the incredibly lame (IMO) "Monsters Inc." really needed a prequel.  Yeah, that trailer with the main characters in college did absolutely nothing for me.  And how is it that we've gotten sequels or prequels for Toy Story; Cars; and now Monsters Inc., but we still haven't gotten a sequel for the one Pixar movie that set itself up for a sequel: The Incredibles?   :Q
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:01:35 AM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
the safe mediocrity of Toy Story 3

The ****

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »
the safe mediocrity of Toy Story 3

The ****

Yeah, I said it.  Toy Story 3 was by-the-numbers Toy Story from beginning to end.  There was a single moment in that film where I thought the writers were breaking out and doing something potentially daring (the scene where the toys are having a touching moment in the incinerator), but there just wasn't anything altogether impressive about that movie to me.  Granted, though, I've never really been the biggest Toy Story fan.

And Randy Newman can take his seemingly-infinite variations on the same folksy piano ditty and **** off.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:05:01 AM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »
Toys Story 3 is the brave little toaster