Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553468 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2825 on: November 16, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »
She would be run out of her home country for doing an actual nude scene (no, seriously), so I can almost guarantee she used a body double. If you didn't see her FACE in a full frame shot, it's probably a body double.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
Immortals 8/10

Is that the film "about" Theseus and the Minotaur? Looked like another 300 to me. :-\
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
I thought it was hilarious that the Immortals trailer makes it even seem like a knockoff to 300.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2828 on: November 17, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
The movie is much better than the trailer, and better than 300. The end of the movie was especially bloody.

Hal, in that same scene we did see her face and one boob in the same shot.

It's not about the Minotaur at all, he pretty much just appears on one scene for about 3 or 4 minutes. The main antagonist is King Leonidas.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
the main Antagonist is king Leonidas...sold...not much  minotaur though..thats too bad. Leonidas II ?

edit:
ok I looked it up, it says King Hyperion. The only person with a name close to Leonidas is a character called Lysander ....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:38:55 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2830 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Saw J Edgar the other night. It's a great film. Leonardo DiCaprio was phenomenal. I could see why some people wouldn't like it due to some of the themes and especially the way they depict the character's mental stability. Thought I was gonna say homosexuality, didn't you? Because they only kinda half do it. And it's kinda of a weird thing for someone a large part of the film's audience would've known and (probably) respected.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2831 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:19 AM »
the main Antagonist is king Leonidas...sold...not much  minotaur though..thats too bad. Leonidas II ?

edit:
ok I looked it up, it says King Hyperion. The only person with a name close to Leonidas is a character called Lysander ....

Whoops, got it mixed up with 300 (watched 300 right after I got back from the theatre). The minotaur in the movie is pretty badass though, even if he was only briefly in the movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
The movie is much better than the trailer, and better than 300.

That's not exactly saying much...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: November 20, 2011, 04:49:29 PM »
Attack the Block 7.5/10 That was pretty cool, I like how they made the aliens both cool looking and ridiculously cheap.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
This is one of my Avatar candidates for next Halloween

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: November 26, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Due to the recent deluge of games these past few weeks, I haven't watched much in the way of movies.  However, after finishing Telltale's new Jurassic Park game, I was suddenly in the mood to watch Jurassic Park 3 and then Jurassic Park ("why did I watch the 3rd movie first", you may ask.  The simple answer is that I didn't want Jurassic Park 3 to be my most recent memory of the series).  No, I didn't watch the second one because...well, **** that crappy movie.

I remember really coming away from Jurassic Park 3 in the theaters disgusted and angry, but watching it now it really isn't that bad.  It's a decent little movie whose biggest crimes are being completely unnecessary and being thoroughly surpassed by the first film.  Having Alan Grant back as the main character did a lot to make the film more enjoyable than the second film, as well as ditching the second film's preachy environmentalist message.  It's not a film I really ever want to watch again, but I was reasonably entertained watching it.

As for the original Jurassic Park, we all know it's a classic and it's one of Spielberg's best works despite only somewhat following the original novel.  The effects still hold up rather well, the pacing is really good, and the film only suffers from a couple of really sappy "Spielberg"-ian moments (mostly involving Grant and the kids).  What surprised me rewatching it, though, is that I forgot how often the movie goes for the laugh, sometimes to its detriment.  There are a couple of scenes where I felt that a particular joke was funny but really didn't fit the scene (in particular the "Disneyland/pirates" line).  It's still a great movie, and I'm very annoyed that to get it on Blu-Ray in its latest form you have to buy the other two movies.  I don't want the other two Jurassic Park movies.  No one does.

Now, in celebration of the new Muppet movie (which I still haven't seen, and I'm having trouble trying to coax some of my other family members to see it with me), I am going to be watching some of my favorite old Muppet movies over the next week or so: The Great Muppet Caper (which tends to get really overlooked), The Muppet Christmas Carol (perhaps my favorite version of that story), and Muppet Treasure Island (Tim Curry + Kermit the Frog. Enough said).  Somehow, I also never got around to watching The Muppets Take Manhatten, so I'll be checking that out for the first time as well.  It should be fun.   :D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2836 on: November 27, 2011, 03:43:37 AM »
I saw the Muppets yesterday. It's great. How could anyone NOT want to see it? Christ, it's amazing.

As for JP3, it commits far too many "big summer blockbuster" sins against science for me to even be watchable. I should actually write a nice big list of reasons that movies fails on a scientific level. It could be pretty funny (example: Spinosaurus and Deinonychus both know how to break a neck for the kill). The first movie does feel a little too "Spielberg" at times, yeah, with the damn kids. My one big enduring complaint about the original film is that the T.rex's enclosure goes from "enclosure" to "bottomless pit." Where, exactly, was the poor tyrannosaur standing five minutes ago? On the top of a palm tree?

I'm going to do the Jurassic Park 3 critique. Tonight. It's gonna be great.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: November 27, 2011, 03:49:36 AM »
Jurassic Park 3 was an abomination. Piss-poor story aside, the special effects actually look worse than the original film. At least The Lost World was watchable.

The Muppets was great. Not the best, but far from the worse in the series. :)

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2838 on: November 27, 2011, 05:45:50 AM »
Zach Eviscerates Jurassic Park 3 with Extreme Prejudice

'Round town here, my hatred for Jurassic Park 3 is legendary. I spit on this film, and the filmmakers, and Jack Horner for attaching his name to it and calling himself their "paleontology consultant." He collected a paycheck is what he did. He called Spinosaurus a "super-predator" in interviews. I don't think the lot of you have been exposed to my wrath regarding this film, which is a heap of scientific inaccuracy the likes of which the world has never seen. What's that, you say? Older films made worse mistakes? Sure, The Valley of Gwangi and Carnosaur made errors too, but they were, in fact, working with the best science had to offer at the time. Most of the inaccuracies of Jurassic Park 3 can be chalked up to stupidity, completely lack of knowledge (about the subject), or a failure to read Wikipedia. Let's get on with it...this will be fun.

The Dog Brain

The film starts at a score of less than zero: Dr. Grant's idiot grad student produces a 3D-printed model of a dromaeosaur brain. Grant seems surprised--ain't technology grand? Well, technology is stupid, because you're holding a dog brain, Alan. Yes, Canis familiarus, the one you feed every morning and pick up after. It shits on your lawn. You'd think the filmmakers would have picked a bird brain, since birds are theropod dinosaurs, but NO--you had to go with a dog brain. What's a raptor brain look like? Well, the image up top shows Bambiraptor's brain in blue. Not very big, is it? And it doesn't look much like a mammal brain, either. So good job, morons, you made the public think that raptors have dog brains.

Oh, and that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that Dr. Grant and his colleagues use the brain like a duck call, blowing into one end to produce a trumpeting noise. This is not how brains work--brains don't have random hollow spaces in them. It'd be a different story if they were holding up a 3D model of sinus passages, but they're holding up a DOG BRAIN. My god. MY GOD. And even blowing into a brain ( :confused; ) produced any sort of noise comparable to the natural sound made by that animal, it would apparently be a barking noise, because it's a DOG BRAIN. YOU IDIOTS.

Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus

Fun fact: Tyrannosaurus rex's bite force has been estimated to be between 185,000 and 235,000 pounds per square inch. The closest modern animal to that is the great white shark, and the next best is the crocodile. But they both orders of magnitude less than Tyrannosaurus rex. The image above is where the fight should have ended--Tyrannosaurus would have crushed Spinosaurus' neck like a dried-out twig, but somehow neither party even bled during the battle (a massive failure of CGI that was repeated in King Kong) and the Spinosaurus even apparently made T.rex hurt with its own bite, something that is laughable given the fact that spinosaurs consistently have the weakest bite forces among theropods. These were fish-eating animals that didn't need strong bite forces. Their bites have been compared to gharials, whose snouts will actually break if their prey struggles or they bite something that's too hard.

And then Spinosaurus won because of my next complaint.

Neck-Breaking Theropods

You'll recall that Spinosaurus won the fight because it managed to break Tyrannosaurus' neck. Later, an unusually large Velociraptor (actually Deinonychus) breaks some dude's neck instead of disembowling him or something. Gonna tell you right now: theropods had (and have) no concept of how skeletal systems or nervous sytems work. Go figure. Also, Tyrannosaurus' neck was bathed in muscle--it had the most powerful neck of any theropod. The muscle mass alone would've made breaking Tyrannosaurus' neck basically impossible. Goddamnit, I hate this movie.

Spinosaurus in General

They made this dinosaur up. I'm not kidding. It is a composite animal made from the undead remains all known spinosaur material known at the time (probably 1999-2000) which wasn't much. The group remains a bit mysterious to this day. In the late 90's, the best known spinosaurs were Baryonyx from England and Suchomimus from Niger. Spinosaurus is a real dinosaur--it was based on a dentary and several dorsal vertebrae unearthed in the 1930's. But nobody really knew what it looked like. These scant remains were destroyed in a bombing raid during WWII. Thankfully, the bones were exquisitely monographed prior to their destruction. In 2006, a large portion of Spinosaurus' snout was described. This indicated that Spinosaurus (and South America's Irritator) were significantly different than the more basal Baryonyx and Suchomimus. But hey, it really did have that big dorsal sail.

That picture is actually MINE (that is, I drew it) and I was surprised to see it on a website I'd never heard of, and I wasn't given the image credit. Wonderful. Anyway, this is Suchomimus, and it's clearly where we got the Jurassic Park 3 Spinosaurus. Minus the awesome central crest, that is. The film's Spinosaurus also has massive bear mits, which spinosaurs did not have, though they did get the enlarged thumb claws right (I know, I was surprised too). And yes, while Spinosaurus was an enormous theropod (a bit longer than Tyrannosaurus), it wasn't the size of Godzilla.

"Pteranodon?" Seriously?

So that's an excellent version of Kansas' Pteranodon. It's from the very end of The Lost World. This is what it looks like in reality, basically. A big, toothless, long-winged animal that probably weighed about 80 pounds. Now...here's what the Jurassic Park 3 "Pteranodon" looks like.

I have no words. People are often surprised to learn that pterosaurs were incredibly lightweight. I find this surprise puzzling--birds have hollow bones to allow flight. Pterosaurs got pretty huge, so they'd also need to be very lightweight. There is no WAY it would be carrying a small child who probably weighed as much if not more than itself. There's also no evidence of parental care in pterosaurs--all evidence points to hatchlings being flight-capable and basically being miniature versions of the adults--like lizards. Oh, and remember how I said Pteranodon didn't have teeth (it's name actually manes "winged and toothless"), the abominations in Jurassic Park 3 actually do have conical, Pterodacylus-like teeth.

Also gotta love that final pterosaur shot, of the one Pteranodon suddenly looking at the survivors as if to say "You're next, humans."

Raptors had Feathers. They had Feathers in 2001. They had feathers in 2000. Ceolurosaurs had feathers in 1999.

This is Dave, a juvenile Sinornithosaurus, a small raptor from China. It's a smaller cousin of Velociraptor. And Deinonychus. It was discovered in the late 90's and described in 2000 (hence the species name "milleni"), so it was known during the production of the film. Fully covered in feathers. Head to tail. But the filmmakers pussed out and only tossed some..."things" on top of the male Deinonychus heads. Looks a little like this guy, actually:

Yup. Primal Rage got exactly that much right in 1994.

The Other Dinosaurs

There are some "new" dinosaurs in Jurassic Park 3. The most surprising one was Ceratosaurus nasicornis, a basal theropod from the Late Jurassic of North America. It was handled with some modicom of respect, although it certainly didn't have binocular vision. The ankylosaurs, seen briefly when everybody is sleeping in a tree, conform to the unfortunate "Ankyloplocephalus" syndrome: ankylosaurs in virtually every media form are called Ankylosaurus because it's popular, but they always end up being based on Euoplocephalus, a large ankylosaur who was radically different in terms of body armor, but far better known. Finally, we've got the World's Fattest Brachiosaurs standing on the riverfront, displaying jiggling fat rolls that would have been completely unknown on the real animal.

So, in closing, I hate Jurassic Park 3. Questions?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:52:53 AM by Halbred »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: November 27, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »
Riff track? You can educate me and make a movie watchable at the same time.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: November 27, 2011, 06:09:21 AM »

'Round town here, my hatred for Jurassic Park 3 is legendary. I spit on this film, and the filmmakers, and Jack Horner for attaching his name to it and calling himself their "paleontology consultant." He collected a paycheck is what he did. He called Spinosaurus a "super-predator" in interviews.

So you're telling me if someone offered you a bunch of money to be called a paleontology consultant and say stupid **** about the movie and help create crazy CG models of dinosaurs you wouldn't do it just because the movie wasn't realistic?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: November 27, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
that rant was actually really entertaining XD

If i ever for whatever reason in the future need a paleontology consultant I'm giving Zach a call.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
Pirahna - 6/10
Let me just say that as a movie, Pirahna was absolutely terrible...but for some reason it was quite enjoyable to watch. The CGI was SyFi Channel quality at best, but the makeup-type and prop special effects were gruesome and nicely done. The people being dragged out of the water indeed looked like they had been mutilated by man eating fish. The all-too-predictable last scene was actually sown in commercials, which was pretty lame and ruined the "shock" but I must say that the gratuitous nudity made up for many of the movie's shortcomings. Is the movie worth watching? No. Should you watch it anyway? Yes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »

So, in closing, I hate Jurassic Park 3. Questions?
but you apparently love hotlinking...

You should have posted this in MFT ;)
and you should also use imgur to host all your images
(there is an extension for both FF & Chrome so all you have to do is right click to upload - see the "How To" thread for a link)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:54:41 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
So I've watched two of the Muppet movies now: The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan.

I found Great Muppet Caper to still be a very fun little film to watch, which is why I'm surprised that the film seems to be strangely overlooked and less available than the other Muppet films.  Let's get one thing straight from the beginning: This is a stupid movie, with plot holes and wanton silliness as far as the eyes can see.  But here's the other thing: the movie knows it.  The entire premise of this very self-aware film is that the Muppets are putting on this movie for you.  The film starts with them mocking the opening credits, and the intro song is about how they're making a movie.  There is no 4th wall in this film, as characters are fond of stopping the movie to comment on the absurdity of certain situations or to chastise the acting of another character.

To me, Great Muppet Caper is exactly what a Muppet movie should be: more than a little weird with the dry satire that the Muppets were originally created for.  The movie is just fun to watch, the songs are pretty good, and the Muppeteering is as good as the Jim Henson-era Muppets always were.  Just don't expect a deep narrative or some statement on the human condition, and it's a fun ride.

What wasn't a fun ride was The Muppets Take Manhattan.  It's ironic that I picked this as the follow-up film to Great Muppet Caper, because it is the exact opposite sort of experience.  There are no winking nods to the audience, no satire, no comedy.  It's your standard issue "kids from the small town go to the Big City to make it big!" story played completely straight, and I found the end result spectacularly dull.  This movie has its fans, probably the same ones who liked the original Muppet movie (another film I don't enjoy), but I'm certainly not one of them.  To me, if you're not going to have even a hint of comedy in your film (which even The Muppet Christmas Carol has, and that's a pretty serious film), why are you making a Muppet movie, especially with a script this bland?  The Muppets were created to be comedic characters, often fond of satire or dry humor.  This type of movie doesn't suit them.

I went through those movies quicker than I expected.  I would add more Muppet movies to the stack, but I've heard nothing good about "Muppets from Space" or "Muppets' Wizard of Oz."

As for Jurassic Park 3, I just enjoyed it as a simple popcorn action movie.  It's not a great movie and Halbred has pointed out many scientific errors it made with the dinosaurs, but I found it enjoyable enough for a single watch.  I'm actually surprised it took me almost half the movie to figure out that I knew the mother character in the film from Silent Hill.   :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:02:27 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: November 27, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
I really like the original Muppet Movie, but don't care for Muppets Take Manhattan. I haven't seen The Great Muppet Caper in a while (though your talk of it has made me want to), but your description makes it sound like they took all the great things about The Muppet Movie and just ratcheted up the ridiculousness.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
I've actually considered trying to rewatch the original Muppet movie during this run, as I haven't tried to watch it in probably well over a decade.  I don't think I've ever gotten through the entire movie without having to skip large sections because of some (IMO) less-than-pleasing musical numbers.  I might like it better now, but it's just very hard for me to get into that movie (and many others from the 70s).

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2847 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
As for Jurassic Park 3, I just enjoyed it as a simple popcorn action movie.  It's not a great movie and Halbred has pointed out many scientific errors it made with the dinosaurs, but I found it enjoyable enough for a single watch.  I'm actually surprised it took me almost half the movie to figure out that I knew the mother character in the film from Silent Hill.   :D

You're confusing Tea Leoni with Radha Mitchell.

Also, @insanolord: Jack Horner is an ACTUAL paleontologist. He should know better.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

You're confusing Tea Leoni with Radha Mitchell.

So it seems. But the way that Tea Leoni looks in some scenes in Jurassic Park 3, there's a remarkable resemblance.  Not so much anymore, though, judging by her IMDB photo.

It figures, though.  I've watched so many animated series, I can pick a voice actor out in a few seconds.  But I have a lot of trouble distinguishing live actors/actresses from one another by appearance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:22:32 PM by broodwars »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2849 on: November 27, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »
Also, @insanolord: Jack Horner is an ACTUAL paleontologist. He should know better.

You gotta excuse Insanolord. Ever since he became a mod, the concept of integrity has been all but lost to him.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.