Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700256 times)

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1275 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
Man, ejamer, I'm really excited to play BotW, because that is exactly what I want out of an open world game. I'm intrigued by the DLC map features and hope for a GOTY or deluxe edition when I get it in 2018 or 2019. I've since played through LttP and Link's Awakening, but for the longest time LoZ and LoZ:AoL were my formative Zelda experiences. For me, the adventure in Zelda was found in exploring the overworlds. BotW sounds like it will play in reality like LoZ did in my imagination.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 05, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Pokémon Black should be arriving today. In the past 15 months or so, I've played through the main games of X, Alpha Sapphire, and Moon, as well as substantial parts of all three post-games.

I've been really surprised at how satisfying I've found playing Pokémon essentially as a table-top RPG simulator. The broad variety of Pokémon designs, typings, and move sets offer an equivalency to character classes, and the game settings act as adventure modules.

My favorite part is how it imperceptibly layers meaning on subjective aesthetic choices. I find myself caring about the Pokémon I raise as I would other fictional characters, despite them totally lacking any narrative context (I mostly ignore or compartmentalize the lore/story, but very much enjoy the random NPC dialogue).

I play X the most. I suspect it's because of the setting. France is one of my favorite places in the world, and Paris is my second favorite city after New York. Kalos effectively evokes French elegance and elan and it provides a beautiful backdrop to run my teams through.

I'm really excited to explore Unova. I'm intimately familiar with all the real world towns and neighborhoods listed in the bulpapedia article. I'm hoping it resonates like Kalos does, because I'd love to try to integrate it into a larger campaign spanning the other titles.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 05, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
BW1 are my favorite single player games in the series. it brought me back strangely enough, to the sort of RPGs I was playing at the time on Playstation when Pokemon Red and Blue came into my life. it's good stuff. sadly, I don't think you'll get the exact same magic out of BW as someone going in generational order will.

See, Unova is set up so that there is no reused pokemon. Sure, this means that some of the new pokemon have a lot of overlap with older equivalents such as Rogganrola being very similar to say... Geodude, but GOSH I love BW SO much.

Also, I like the BW Meta. complain all you want folks, I'd rather have Weather wars than Megas because at least with Weather Wars, you have to think about how your team synergizes with and against weather. :P

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 05, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Cool, I had remembered you mentioning before how much you liked it. I've done some reading and I understand how much of a departure Gen 5 was. To be honest, what has me most worried about going backward is the lack of passive experience share. Grinding up is already a bit of a chore.  But since now I know what I want out of Pokemon games, I can make better initial choices about the team I'm going to run.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 05, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
There's a reason I nominated Black and White for retroactive. I'm just going to say that now.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 05, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
There's a reason I nominated Black and White for retroactive. I'm just going to say that now.

Off-topic, but I really want a side-by-side comparing retroactive of Black & White and Doshin the Giant.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 06, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »
ooh, real Peter Mollyneaux bullshit Vs. faux-Peter Mollyneaux bullshit as seen through the lens of japanese people!

BW is indeed probably the most grind-tastic game thanks to the scaling EXP curve (especially post-game!), but at least grinding can be mildly interesting thanks to being able to bop Audino for big chunks of EXP.

... also, Still lovin' Spark the Electric Jester. @_@

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 06, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »
Black and White were rivaled only by Sun and Moon in their awfulness. The Unova region is all style, no substance or complexity. The music is bad, the story is bad, the region is bad. The only thing that redeems those games *was* the feeling that you were seeing all new Pokemon until defeating the Elite Four.

Black 2 and White 2 apparently made better changes, but like Sun and Moon, I was much too soured by the first version to even consider getting anything else in the generation.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 06, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »
The music is the best in the entire series.
I fixed that for you.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 06, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
I beg to differ on the soundtrack, in my humble opinion. I also quite enjoyed Bianca's character arc, as well as how prevalent Team Plasma is and how their agenda is thrusted to the forefront at all times. it's a far more focused adventure than say... X and Y. that being said, I can admit some faults with the gen 5 games.

Gen 5 is about where Gym leaders all started to blend together in my head, although the Gen 5 Elite Four is one of the strongest groups there. Alder is also an INCREDIBLY bland champion, but I blame that as a small sacrifice to further the laser focus on Team Plasma, N, and Ghetsis. I think it's telling that showing N's coronation in the opening FMV was such a primary focus.

I had to stop myself there. I actually wrote a long diatribe that may have risked derailing this thread.

The important thing to take from this, Rygar... Generation 5 of Pokemon is INCREDIBLY polarizing. Fans of BW are seen by the folks at the Pokemon 4chan boards as annoying as the dreaded Genwunners.

... which I hope I don't come off as being that annoying.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 06, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
Not at all Clex, I always appreciate your insight. From my perspective, these disputes seem to be narcissism about small differences when expressed with a hostile level of certainty.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 06, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
I'm already enjoying it by the way:

Close enough for me  ;D

Edit: I didn't realize the Coney Island Tillie pic isn't working till I logged in on my work PC. Intended or not, I'm taking Black's hair as a homage:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:07:49 PM by rygar »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 06, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »
I thought Bianca's character arc was non-existent, again, unless you played B2W2. However, I firmly believe overarching plot is just awful, and I don't understand the praise any of the characters receive. When I had heard Game Freak wanted to focus more on story in the future, I had hoped they would actually put a decent effort into crafting the narrative. Instead, we got some "chosen one" bullshit that is shoved in your face in every town and detracts from the spirit of the series. Team Plasma is comically dense, to the point where it loses all realism, and N is... well, there's a ton of things that could have been done with his character that are sadly wasted thanks to the BIG TWEEST at the end, which, by the way, invalidates the main villain totally. That a man would spend a good portion of his life raising a child to become the "king of Pokemon" only to throw a hissy-fit right at the end of things is absurd.

I understand that Pokemon is a child's game, which is largely why I have started to move on from the series and focus more on games like SMT, which, while not much more mature, at least attempt to create more interesting settings and narratives, atop being more compelling monster-catching games. But Black and White was the first time I realized that the series was not growing with me, and that Game Freak was content with slapping a narrative atop their 8 gym formula and calling it a day. Likewise, the story commits the same sin that Sun and Moon do in terms of placing false assumptions on the player: I don't want people to praise my values or beliefs in Pokemon, I don't want them to say I have such a strong bond with them, I don't want them to tell me my bond is strong enough to dance stupid dances with my Pokemon, or that watching me gives them the courage to express themselves- I want to wreck every trainer mercilessly and show them how much better I am, while catching and developing a team that's aesthetically appealing to me. The previous Pokemon games were satisfying to me because the adventure was straightforward and the actions the player performed seemed logical.

I really appreciated the commitment to only having a new generation of Pokemon roaming Unova, but almost every other aspect of Black and White did not appeal to me. While X and Y were certainly no better in the story department, there narrative was at least less-intrusive and separated the Elite Four and Champion from the wackiness of the villain's plot. Anyway, I understand I've rambled a bit, but I guess it just boils down to me becoming disenfranchised with the series as a whole. Game Freak has extremely solid fundamental gameplay that they have kept relatively sacred, but almost every other part of the series has become alien and unappealing to me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 06, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
I want to wreck every trainer mercilessly and show them how much better I am, while catching and developing a team that's aesthetically appealing to me. The previous Pokemon games were satisfying to me because the adventure was straightforward and the actions the player performed seemed logical.

This is essentially my game world more-or-less as well. There's probably something to my coming to this franchise in middle-age that makes it easier for me to just ignore the narrative and build my own head-lore. I'm not the intended demographic and I don't expect any video game to have a sufficiently layered story (ala Disney or Pixar) that appeals to both young children and adults. In general, I think the medium has an inherently limited narrative ceiling. I used to think of video games as being on a continuum of literature and film, but now I believe they are more similar in kind to music or material fine arts like sculpture or painting. For me, video games are much more effective at engendering gut-level emotional reactions than they are at providing conceptual insights.

I understand that Pokemon is a child's game, which is largely why I have started to move on from the series and focus more on games like SMT, which, while not much more mature, at least attempt to create more interesting settings and narratives, atop being more compelling monster-catching games.

I'm hoping to get into SMT eventually. Pokémon is very easy to fit into my weekly gaming allotment and I've been a little worried about getting bogged down in what appears to be a significant time investment in figuring out how to play SMT.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 08, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
I'm not one to buy incomplete games usually, and I've only kickstarted one game, but after seeing an interesting video of the game on Giant Bomb, I installed and gave Playerunknown's Battlegrounds early access game a shot.

For the uninitiated, PB is a 100 person 3rd person shooter deathmatch game.  The game starts with a plane flying across the map, and you choose when to exit the plane and parachute down.  You're sent in with only clothes, and have to find weapons and additional gear once you land.  The maps are really large, with houses/buildings that'll have weapons/gear, and vehicles littered occasionally across the map.  That said, MOST of the map is fairly barren, save some trees or brush. 

The goal of the game?  Be the last man standing, because there are no respawns once you join the match.

You'll rarely run across other players on the map starting out, but what'll happen over time is that they start restricting the play area by an invisible line on the map that you can see by a blue wave effect going towards you if you're close to the edge of the play area, shrinking the play area throughout the match.  If you try to stay outside the play area, the game will start whittling down your health until you eventually die.

Gameplay wise, the gunplay is just OK.  Movement isn't bad, but not great.  There's a bit of jank to the movement around and across the map (I think Payday is a good comparison). 

That said, the fun of this game is the tension that comes from you being engaged in such a large matchup, knowing how finite resources and your one life in that match is, and determining risk vs reward.  There's a house in the distance and you need a weapon, but will you get noticed and shot by someone nearby if you try to attempt it?  There's a car nearby that will help you move quicker, but that makes you stick out like a sore thumb on the map, could be an easy target for an experienced sniper.  See someone walking by?  You can try to sneak up and surprise them, but if you're not a good shot, you find yourself on the wrong side of their gun.

For each match, you get in game currency to buy crates (stop me if you've heard this one), that look to unlock additional cosmetic items you can have your character start with in-game. 

I've lasted as long as 31st person left on the map.  There's a nagging carrot i'm trying to grab with each match that makes me want to come back.  $30 is kind of a high reach for an early access game, but it's been a fun experience so far if you know what you're getting yourself into.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: May 21, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
In the aftermath of the NFL draft and how highly my Browns were graded by just about everyone, I've gotten back into Madden 17. The great thing about modern sports games is they all include some form of community roster sharing, so I was able to download an updated file that includes all of this year's draft picks that someone went in and meticulously created by hand.

Returning to this game, I'm reminded just how good it is. Madden is a series that was derided for years, partially for good reason and partially by people who resent EA's exclusive deal with the NFL. The last couple years, though, and particularly last year, EA has put out an exceptional product, arguably the best its ever been. All the mechanics work pretty well, and no part of the game feels overpowered and/or broken. Playing this more now really makes me wish this year's entry was coming to Switch.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »
@lolmonade So... The Hunger Games.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 23, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
@lolmonade So... The Hunger Games.

I've heard comparisons to The Hunger Games and Battle Royale in terms of premise.  I've seen neither but from what I know, it's accurate enough.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:27 AM »
I started up Minecraft on Switch and I'm kind of blown away by how much the game has changed since the last time I played it years ago. Villagers, experience levels, enchanting, and more are all new to me, and even going through the tutorial it's pretty overwhelming.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 29, 2017, 06:57:40 AM »
I still don't "get" Minecraft - which feels disappointing. I appreciate the way that survival mode offers some threads of Rogue-like gameplay (randomly generated world with some standard goals; highly interactive objects creating a lot of emergent play) but just don't find it very enjoyable. Not the right game for me, I suppose.

What have I been playing?

Mostly still Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U). Despite seeing the end credits roll, there remains plenty of interesting areas to uncover in the game world. We are working towards freeing a third divine beast, but often get side-tracked along the way.

When not playing that game, I've been enjoying From the Abyss (DS). It's not a great game, but is easy and a pleasant way to kill a few minutes at a time. Although the game feels a bit grind-heavy at times, leveling up and upgrading your character skills are always enjoyable. The game only cost a few bucks so is out-performing expectations quite easily.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »
I still don't "get" Minecraft - which feels disappointing. I appreciate the way that survival mode offers some threads of Rogue-like gameplay (randomly generated world with some standard goals; highly interactive objects creating a lot of emergent play) but just don't find it very enjoyable. Not the right game for me, I suppose.
Have you tried it in multiplayer? For me, it's in that category with games like Animal Crossing in that the game itself is nothing special so it's boring in single player, but it can be a lot of fun in multiplayer as we create our own experiences together.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 01, 2017, 10:33:46 PM »
Have you tried it in multiplayer? For me, it's in that category with games like Animal Crossing in that the game itself is nothing special so it's boring in single player, but it can be a lot of fun in multiplayer as we create our own experiences together.

This is a good and valid point. I haven't, and that would probably make the game more appealing.
Actually, survival mode should still appeal to me also - it ticks off lots of boxes that normally appeal, so I don't know why I'm not more attracted to the game. Probably I'm just too lazy to get over the learning curve.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 02, 2017, 01:23:44 AM »
I love survival, but it is all about the multiplayer in Minecraft. Even if I'm not directly interacting with others, I like the thought that we are all in the world together and can come to each other's aid and build things like towns and cities where each person builds a specific part of the infrastructure.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 02, 2017, 03:22:24 AM »
Last time I played Minecraft I did survival on the Android version at some point after they added in unlimited sized worlds.

I wound up finding a somewhat snow covered village near where I spawned and I basically camped out there while I slowly built myself a castle on top of a nearby hill (there were these weird towers of ice directly behind the hill which along with the castle over the village wound up looking absolutely incredible.)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 02, 2017, 05:51:25 AM »
I tried Minecraft with some friends well before 1.0 and it didn't grab me at all. Without mods it was a shallow content-less nothing with bugs and a memory leak bad enough to flood a town that they didn't fix for years because they were incompetent.

Other far more focused voxel games play much better or games in general that blast past whatever it is trying to do.

Minecraft maybe the original or close to it but it has been superseded massively by everything else. Minecraft only now continues because of momentum as it coasts along doing not much to improve itself.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?