Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700401 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #975 on: December 07, 2015, 12:38:27 AM »
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS):
There it is. This is the crap that destroys my all and any enjoyment of this series.

I needed to get regal ring and couldn't understand what game wanted me to do. Remembering how much this series likes obscure puzzles blocking your progress, i gave up after 15 minutes and googled it.

Yep, it was one of those. Had to go out of my way to another village to get second song too.

And even with unlocked teleport gates, it still took me too much time to go back and forth for my liking. Or maybe it felt like that -- not sure. It just feels like it takes more time going from place to place that in Wind Waker or Phantom Hourglass. And i generally like trains.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC):
Completed Hard and got "no damage" on final boss. It was surprisingly easy. Once i figured out how to stop him from regenerating health -- it was over for him. I kept doing so much damage he was stuck repeating the same QTE attack over and over. That QTE attack wasn't even hard compared to Sundowner's.

After that i wanted to check out how Very Hard feels like and started new game. Very Hard makes all enemies extremely aggressive and they attack all at once.

And this is where MGR's combat design and camera that were a mess on previous difficulties fall apart and **** the bed completely. Ferociousness of enemies leaves no openings for you to attack and their boosted defense doesn't allow you to stun them to stop them from attacking.

Insane enemy pressure is reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden but NG WAS actually balanced somewhat and provides a wide array of moves and tricks to cheese past everything. Half-baked design of MGR does none of that.

On top of that i discovered that i when hit "New Game", i somehow erased my progress on Normal and Hard. At least i can use Konami code to unlock all difficulties and DLC campaigns back. But i still have to upgrade my character and buy everything all over again.

MGR DLCs:
Bladewolf has like 5 moves. Moveset is very primitive but sufficient i guess. Apparently this campaign is more concentrated on platforming and stealth. Platforming is still kinda bad as in any other Platinum game.

Jetstream Sam's DLC campaign is arguably better than main campaign. Sam's moveset while still very small by action game standards is completely different from the rest of the game and enemies are largely redesigned to be harder. Combat is designed around heavy attack charges and adds taunt system. Also when thrown into a wall Sam can recover and wall jump back with counter attack.

Sam's campaign has the same final boss and it's pretty good and is much harder. Boss grapple attacks are hard to dodge and these grapples come in series and becomes insanely fast in later parts of the fight.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U):

FINALLY, after almost a year after starting i completed Pure Platinum run.

Final boss was a major roadblock and it was a concentrated essence of this game mistakes in enemy combat design -- no or confusing cues for incoming attacks and attacks come way, WAY too fast to react, insane armour on boss and over reliance on Witch Time.

All this makes attempt to Pure Platinum it extremely un-fun and turns boss fight into endurance test until you just fluke out and get a sequence where you didn't get caught by one of the several instant attacks.

In that year i Pure Platinumed Bayo 1 on normal, hard, and in the middle of doing the same for NSIC (a feat i once thought to be beyond my meager action skills). Bayo 1, unlike B2 and MGR for that matter was balanced properly across ALL difficulties so that it stll stays challenging, diverse AND fun all the way through.

I still have Bayonetta 2's Rodin and few of achievements to do, so i will come back to it sometime later, once i forget the sour taste of that final battle.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:52 PM »
Azeke, aside from the train stuff, which I initially liked more than Phantom Hourglass boating but got bored with it, how would you compare it to PH? I thought the actual design of the dungeons and caves was considerably better, though I actually liked the Temple of the Ocean King, and wished they kept it up. The Spirit Tracks equivalent feels watered down and thus less interesting.

Updates from prior complaints:

Kid Icarus Uprising:

About halfway through the game I realized there were sensitivity settings for the touch screen camera/reticule, and cranked them to the max. This makes the ground portions actually playable, but the circle pad movement still blows, and I take tons of damage every time there are pits or electric floors or lava or whathaveyou. While I'm enjoying it more, and find the weapon crafting kind of addicting, I will be relieved when it's over (it seems to go on forever).

Box Boy:

The difficulty picks up in the last few worlds, but it took way too long. The final world, however, is busting my balls, and I wish the game had gotten there earlier.

And a new old one:

Blaster Master:

I gave up on this on the Wii Virtual Console, couldn't get past the third dungeon without running out of lives, but upgraded to the WiiU and gained save states. I was digging going back through it and finally getting past the third dungeon, but then I couldn't figure out what the hell to do and had to look up the entrance to the fourth area, which is basically impossible to find without the pack-in map. After that I was still enjoying it without leaning too hard on save states, but the last third just becomes ridiculously hard, particularly the bosses, and by the end I was spamming the **** out of the states to the degree that it was kind of pointless. Interesting dive back into the NES era, but I couldn't really recommend playing the original game in earnest.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 10, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
how would you compare it to PH? I thought the actual design of the dungeons and caves was considerably better
About the same, i guess? Spirit Track dungeons feel a bit too short maybe? I've completed three dungeons and am pretty sure none of them had more than 4 floors.

though I actually liked the Temple of the Ocean King, and wished they kept it up. The Spirit Tracks equivalent feels watered down and thus less interesting.
Spirit tower is interesting because you don't HAVE to come back to lower floors after you completed them, but if you WANT to backtrack there are a lot of stuff hidden for you. On first two lower floors around HALF of the area is inaccessible unless you have later game unlocks.

Spirit Tracks even pulls this in dungeons where first dungeons have random cracked walls and areas where you can only swing with whip.

The problem is that rewards are disappointing -- it's the same pointless "loot" relics from WW and Phantom Hourglass, stuff like Staflos skulls and like.

Kid Icarus Uprising:
About halfway through the game I realized there were sensitivity settings for the touch screen camera/reticule, and cranked them to the max. This makes the ground portions actually playable, but the circle pad movement still blows, and I take tons of damage every time there are pits or electric floors or lava or whathaveyou.
Circle pad kinda sucks for fine analog movement, but i found that you just need to make your movements more elaborate rather than keep jerking the nub all the time.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
100% Orange Juice (Steam): Short version, it is anime Mario Party except it is better and more in-depth.

Long version, it is a party game which offers a lot more characters then Mario Party, while also giving each one their own playstyle. The girl I play, I have the cards set up so that she lowers her defense, which in turns raises her attack due to her trait. Another girl is built around blowing herself up and taking you down with her. One guy is built to tank damage and you can switch it so he deals very good damage at the cost of his defense. Everyone builds a card deck before the game starts that suits their character and it goes into a pile and draws are random. It is extremely RNG and this either is good or infuriating at times. Overall, for me it is addicting fun. It doesn't do anything wrong. It is simple, fun enjoyment that the Mario Party games are supposed to offer, but don't for me.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »
The only Mario Party clone for me is Dokapon Kingdom. This is what would happen if Square shoved a JRPG into Mario Party. You fight monsters as one of several typical classes, level up, conquer kingdoms to get more loot, and prank your friends in the most delightfully devious ways. Beat a friend in a pvp duel? Graffiti their face, rename their character to "Vacuum Cleaner", or steal their goodies.

There is even an "end game" boss you get to fight if you progress through the game board/world far enough.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
The only Mario Party clone for me is Dokapon Kingdom. ...

Boldly advertised as "the friendship destroying game" on the back of the box.
It lives up to the hype, and is awesome.

---

Started playing Mega Man V (Gameboy game via 3DS virtual console) and am enjoying it. Portable Mega Man games were playing with some tight system limitations, but still have a lot of neat ideas. Definitely worth the couple of bucks it takes to download them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:43:02 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
I just started getting into Street Fighter X Tekken on PS3. I have had the game for a while but just not got around to playing it. I am really liking it a lot. I think the custom costumes are a little limiting and the auto combos can be annoying I am enjoying the game and will give it a lot more play time this weekend when I get through these week's paper.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 19, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »

I have been playing pass the controller co-op with the story mode of Job Island: Hard Working People also known as Help Wanted: 50 Wacky Jobs. It's a Hudson Wii Minigame collection, on the surface it would sound to the common man that this is just some bargain bin kusoge, however that is not the case. This here is a bona fide diamond in the rough, a Wii hidden gem. The premise is that the Earth is being attacked by a series of objects from outer space, from a meteor to Ramen to a Magical Girl ect... to (final boss spoilers) a giant phallus . Each item has a number of hit points and a timer that counts down the days until impact eg Dawn of the First Day 72 hours remain. The idea is you play a minigame each day to accumulate money so that you can buy items on the TV shopping channel, money spent on the shopping channel translates into points that allow you to buy items that can repel the objects in space. The minigames themselves are take it or leave it, but your performance directly correlates to how much money you earn and how much resources you have to play around with. It's bizarre how much thought has been put into the strategy layer of the game but I'll try to break it down.

- The week consists of 6 work days and a Sunday which you can use to explore the town and use the shopping channel.
- You can choose to skip a work day to use the shopping channel but you will be missing income for that day.
- Items from the shopping channel take a day to arrive.
- From the channel you can buy single use support items that make jobs easier allowing you to make more money but only give 10% of the price as loyalty points, you can buy outfits that let you take on different jobs but those only give 5% points, and lastly there are mementos that just act as decoration for your house so don't serve a gameplay purpose but give 15% points.
- Points are spent on the points channel on single use weapons to destroy the space debris, weapons have an average damage value, amount of days it may repel the object and an accuracy.
- As you get better at jobs you fill out a meter that once filled will give you a big promotion bonus but makes the job progressively harder.
- Random events will often occur at the start of the day that act like chance cards in Monopoly, some buff or debuff you for the minigame, some give challenges to meet for a bonus and they are generally used to encourage you to try out different minigames.
- Space objects come super fast making everyday count.
- Interstitial "break scenes" come around every once in a while with quirky Japanese nonsensical humor.
- Guest appearance from Takahashi Meijin.
- Artstyle and writing are charming as ****.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 20, 2015, 12:50:55 AM »

Artstyle looks very similar to WarioWare stuff. Interest peaked.

Is it playable in singleplayer?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 20, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
It's predominantly single player.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 20, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
I think you just sold me on this game. I'll have to check it out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #986 on: December 20, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
I started two new games this weekend, first, Super Mario Maker for Wii U. I am pretty much loving this game a lot.
Second I downloaded Katamari Damacy PS2 for my PS3 a while back and finally got around to playing it. It is somewhat fun and I want to get more into it, but I am really hating the frustrating controls so if I don't start to get the hang of them soon I might give up.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 21, 2015, 01:35:52 AM »
Brothers: Tale of 2 sons (PC):

It's an okay game i guess.

Alright, not just "okay", it's very well made, good puzzles, good artstyle, everything works and it does well on it's "controlling two characters simultaneously" gimmick.

But it's just so derivative from ICO from gameplay to types of puzzles you solve!..

Another problem is characters speaking some imaginary make-believe babble (like in Animal Crossing). I think this is devaluing their story. If they wanted to go full artsy-fartsy and make a game without any words -- they should have done exactly so, instead of making characters going "lalalala-nanana-bububu" all the time.

Or if they wanted to make it sound natural but still make it so player doesn't understand the speech -- they could have used some real language, like Danish or Icelandic or something obscure like that.

And because that they're speaking nonsense, characters HAVE to exaggeratedly emote and overact to compensate for speech not carrying any meaning, which makes it look like a cheap puppet show.

Some great looking locations tho. Giants' battlefield looked especially haunting.

Pinball Arcade (free version on Steam):

Because i have one of my monitors on work in portrait mode (more optimal for coding), i decided that i might as well use the opportunity to play some games that are designed for vertical layout, like vertical shmups or pinball games.

I played a LOT of Zen Pinball on 3DS (still my favourite version and STILL one of the best uses of 3d) and knew of Pinball Arcade but never tried it before.

While Zen Pinball designs their own tables from scratch, PA team is all about being realistic and licensing and re-creating real tables. I personally don't have much of a history playing pinball myself (hard to do that growing up in SU), but i know of several famous pinball tables thanks to CGR.

It plays great in vertical mode. And you get a free table, that's nice (Zen Pinball on 360 and Wii U doesn't, though i got a free Mars table when i downloaded the game from Windows 8 store few years ago).

Can be the physics being different from Zen Pinball or my work PC having a weak video card, but there is a lag of some sorts. It takes a fraction of seconds for bumpers to react and overall it feels a tad more sluggish.

Free table (Arabian Nights) is pretty cool, but i wish other tables weren't so expensive. And you can only buy them in bundles or in pairs or something. I specifically looked up Black Hole and it was 7$ or 10$ which is a bit too rich for me (getting Zen Pinball on 3DS with four tables for 4 or 5 bucks might have spoiled me). Especially with the way how my local currency keeps decreasing in value and my potential online purchases keep getting more and more expensive with literally each day...

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC):

This is a badly designed game. And the deeper you go the more flaws and gaping design mistakes you see. Terrible camera and awful lock-on mechanic is but a beginning in a long line of MGR's mistakes.

Game is too stun happy, enemies can stun or grab you and you get "waggle the stick" QTE which is always annoying in action games and is especially bad in here because how long it takes you to recover. At least in Bayonetta you could recover instantly by parrying incoming attack even when you were caught in some trap status effect, but you can't do this in MGR and will have just take a hit.

Enemy design is also varying shades of terrible. Game balance caters to much into you baiting enemies doing some attack that is vastly preferable for you while some attacks are so bad you might as well restart right here and there and wait until almighty RNG gives you enemy behavior that you want. You are at the mercy of enemy AI. Which is completely contradictory to the entire idea of action games where you are the god that controls the battlefield and if you have the skill for it, you can respond to anything your enemies throw at you.

Then there is leveling up weapons mechanic. This ruins game balance on both ends of player-designer relationship. For player: why bother learning the game if you can just upgrade your blade to level 5 and be overpowered? And for game designer: why bother designing bigger challenge for player on harder difficulty if you can just boost enemy HP to accommodate that your sword can have 5 times more damage points than in the beginning?

Leveling up in RPGs is a mechanic that provides sense of progression and rewards player for time spent by simply increasing some arbitrary number in the system.

While in proper action game design all progression happens in player's mind. Player learns new tricks and hones his skills and reflexes. There are no artificial barriers like grinding gates, once you acquired proficiency in that game you can start a new save file and beat the game 100% in one go, without needing some kind of late game equipment.

MGR is only balanced with one difficulty in mind -- Hard mode. Starting from Very Hard there is zero balance, just enemies having 10x HP and 10x attack power. There was so little balancing consideration made for Very Hard and Revengeance modes, VH is ended up harder than the last difficulty mode -- Revengeance.

I made a mistake thinking i can beat this unfair mode by entering Revengeance difficulty with non-upgraded sword and no late-game weapons. It was a shitfest.

On Revengeance mode with standard equipment your damage output, your mobility options, game's camera are all inadequate. Regular slash with level 1 blade does less than 1% to bosses. Less than one percent. Dodge move is way too slow for you to dodge when more than one enemy keep relentlessly attack you forcing you into endless parry war that you can't escape from. Camera reaches new levels of videogame sabotage when all enemies are 100% aggressive and keen to attack you all at once from all sides.

I spent almost a week trying to S-rank first level. Somewhere in the middle i realized this is a fool's errand, but by this time you would rather finish this "as is" rather going through it all over again. I scraped by most of S-ranks by getting "no damage" bonus on regular missions (because with that lacking equipment i inevitably fail a few requirements on some missions). Mission with two helicopters was a complete randomfest. I only S-ranked it because I baited one helicopter's missiles into another which destroyed it instantly and then after just killed remaining Hammerhead.

And then Mistral at the end was an entirely new levels of bullshit times ten.

First of all -- she is too slippery and likes to jump away and do her unstoppable disorienting wheel attack. To stop her from doing that you always need to get up to her face and do specific combination of slashes and blade mode to bait her to attack instead of slipping away.

To do ANY damage to her AT ALL you need to Perfect Parry her attack three times in a row crushing her staff, only after that you get to damage her finally. To do perfect parry just once you need to parry within 5 frames of her attack. That's 1/12 of a second. And you have to do this THREE TIMES IN A ROW just to even START to do ANY damage.

Oh and just wailing at her while she lost her staff and is vulnerable not gonna work because of minuscule damage output of level 1 blade (>1% of her health).

The only way to do considerable damage to her is bait her into running up to one of the tripods that run around us and throw them at me. Then i have to Perfect Parry that swing again while standing near to her to do 20-30%.

If that is not enough, positioning myself near tripods is very dangerous because of how grab happy tripods are. Depending on AI tripod might jump at you at any random moment incapacitating you and ruining S-rank.

I finally managed to luck myself into doing all this, but i am not doing this again.

I will grind and buy all the possible overpowered weapons to cheese my way through remainder or RV difficulty from now on, because i have had it with this game.

I watched several playthroughs of Revengeance difficulty and none of them even attempted to do this insanity -- going into RV mode with level 1 blade and no late-game weapons. All of them used ripper mode, pincers, sais and had fully upgraded health and energy -- while i had none of that. And these guys are better than me!

Ugh.

Have a nice screenshot. It's from VR missions:

Also playing: Stealth Bastard Deluxe (got all S-ranks up to world 6), Bayonetta 1 (70% into Pure Platinum Non-Stop Infinite Climax run).

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 01, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
Earthbound Beginnings/Mother: This game is archaic yes, but it is still pretty easy to get into and has aged a hell of a lot better then most games from the NES era. Inventory management is annoying, but money management is well done which 90% of RPGs fail to do. Loving the game though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 10, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
Grim Fandango is a fantastic game, even with some of the really obtuse puzzles.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 11, 2016, 01:02:25 AM »
Downwell (Steam):

Great little game. Stringing combos of jumps and kills without touching the ground at first seems impossible, but once i learned to hover in the air with prolonged fire and bounce off random environment it looks more viable.

Also, it's yet another game that supports vertical monitor resolutions. Pixels are huge and the game almost worse for it because eye has to travel a lot to see the entire screen. But i like this gimmick so far.

Fast Racing League (WiiWare):
Decided to put more time into original game with sequel coming out.

I am bad at racing. But i can get a little better if repeat tracks and memorize what i have to do.

I usually take the heaviest car with big max speed and take initial lead ("you are five seconds ahead!") and just never give it up until the end. This works for cup for rookies, but on later cups AI cars are faster and MUCH more aggressive and they constantly keep messing my trajectory. Getting an early advantage seems impossible.

Trackmania Stadium (free demo on Steam):

Jeff's got a point. This is very cool.

Soothing and almost hypnotizing casual atmosphere of going from map to map and listening to all the random audio tracks coupled with insane trick racing and trying to figure track layout and get a better time.

And it's completely free! It's a demo, but for what's it's worth, it's all you need to connect to servers, listen to music and race on looped tracks.

Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC):

Game looks amazing, but MAN, that hitching!.. I even bought more RAM and got it up to 16 Gb and it sorta helped but performance is still bad. I got better performance playing Assassin's Creed games on 360 and Wii U which before Unity were the lowest bars for me. Even besides atrocious performance, there are loads of many other problems.

Climbing has been revamped but it was made worse if anything. At first, "press this button to go up" and "press this other button to go down" make sense, but after playing for a bit your realize that in most cases these buttons are interchangeable and sometimes aren't even needed. If you need to jump off a roof, nudging the stick pressing either buttons works. Then what's the point of all this? Why go and ruin one of few good things the series still has going for?

Another problem is how game LOVES to take control over my camera. Yes, there is a superficial reason to change the angle when i am descending from a building to show off my character parkour skills, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to rotate the camera when i am simply opening a chest.

Combat is also awful. Combat in the series has never been good, but at least it did the job done. Until this game combat has never was been actually so actively terrible. It is so slow i thought it was actually one of the game's performance problems. But NO -- it's actually going as intended! Yes, regular slashes ARE supposed to take five seconds of uninterrupted animation!

There is also some RPG loot progression which is so bad, you're pretty much barred from going anywhere out of the starting island. What's the even point of all this then? Why do you give me access to full Paris if i am so underpowered i die literally in one hit/shot in 90% of the areas?

Another thing they completely botched is stealth. They even made one dedicated button which only does "stealth". It's godawful and not worth it.

The only redeeming quality this game has is it's amazing visuals. Visuals when you enter some palace are outstanding and colours are vivid. Faces still look a bit dead though, and hair still look like a plastic goo plastered on top of people's heads.

The scale of the city is very big and mobs are bigger than ever. However to achieve this they added almost N64 fog around 5 districts wide around me which becomes visible when you synchronize on top of a tower.

Effect when camera makes a panoramic view and then instantly enters you PoV is pretty sweet, even if my PC chugs trying to render all of the Paris districts. Similarly when you see (now 3d) city map and go back to your character.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:03:59 AM by azeke »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 11, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (DS) - Really enjoy the DQ series, and finally getting around to this entry (partly because there are supposed to be two more games in the series released for 3DS this year, which of course I'm going to add to my backlog). It's living up to expectations perfectly so far - a charming game with a fun story and classic, old-school RPG mechanics.

Contra 4 (DS) - One of the talkback threads recently included a complaint about Contra not being available on Virtual Console yet, which made me go back to this game and play around for a while. Damn. What a great piece of work for Contra fans. The main game is a solid entry with lots of fun levels. The challenge mode stages are fun and give the game a different feel. And the bonus content that can be unlocked - including NES versions of both Contra and Super C - is like a (all too brief) love letter to fans of the series.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »
I've been playing Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town on the Virtual Console. I'm a big fan of the series, and this entry is probably my favorite of them all. A couple aspects of the game haven't aged that well compared to ones that have come since, in particular the fact that items in your inventory don't stack, and the controls aren't that intuitive due to the lack of buttons on the GBA, though I've been able to mitigate that a bit with the VC's button remapping.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 18, 2016, 11:42:36 PM »
A few winter games:

Yoshi's Woolly World (WiiU):

So, first off, I really don't like Yoshi's Island. The gameplay hook was basically just annoying OCD stuff without anything exceptional to really balance it out, plus the baby mechanic was horrible.

Thus, I was planning on skipping this one, but I love the previous two Good Feel games, and I got a deal around the holidays for $26 or so for Woolly World, so I went for it. And damn, it was great, way better than the original game, and gorgeous to boot. They achieved a level of tactility with the game world where it really felt like you were interacting with these home-craft dioramas. I'm not even sure how, but Good Feel managed to make the base YI gameplay extremely satisfying (though this was certainly helped by keeping collection progress through subsequent level runs). They pulled off a similar trick with importing the shitty hook from Warioland 4 and making it shine in Shake It. Just a great studio.

Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU):

Strange one, this. It's got issues, like terrible, gameplay-affecting pop-in, horrendous character models, insufferable writing, annoying menu stuff and party management, etc., but it overall really nails the concept of landing on an alien world and carving it out bit by bit. The general lack of story is a plus in my book given how shitty videogame/anime stuff tends to be. I can't say that I have a strong grip on the (too many) game systems, but I'm hoping I can brute force my way through it to an extent.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 21, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War: I've been craving Fire Emblem, real Fire Emblem, and Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn are obscurely expensive. So I figured why not try FE4. I'm having a blast with it. Story is good ol' Fire Emblem at the core and has a nice twist half-way through. Generational children are in this (the first one to do so I think). I love it.

Mother 3
: I can see why people hold the game in high regard. It is REALLY good. One of the better JRPGs I've be played in a long time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:30:38 AM by Triforce Hermit »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Phoenix Wright Trilogy on 3DS. Perfect commuter game. Makes me laugh.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 24, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
God Hand (PCSX2):

Spent most of my weekend fighting mooks with spiked traffic cone hats, mooks with giant boomerangs, mexican demon called Elvis who has amazing introduction and kick-ass music,  and finally -- masked gorilla.

Tanks controls... It's so annoying that i can't simply GO in a direction I WANT and actually SEE where enemies are. That gorilla has grabbed too many times because i was doing u-turn to run away from him and he jumped at me and i couldn't even see him coming because i turned back on him.

Automatic lock-on is a bigger problem because sometimes i want to target enemy that is NOT the closest to me but the one a bit to the side, but stupid game keeps thinking i want to attack that fat guy and not lady mook behind him. So i jump at him and obviously he easily blocks my kick.

Maybe i am too "run and kick" happy. I should probably stay in one place more and let enemies come to me instead or running all over the place only to let myself surrounded.

Because enemies will easily overwhelm you if there are more than 2 of them (and 2 is already pushing it for me), i go for cheesiest strategy of luring mooks to myself one by one. Sure if i was actually gud at this game i could throw scores of enemies everywhere, Viewtiful-style, but alas. Dispatching them one by one in the cheapest way possible seems like the best i can do.

My general strategy is to do that for a while until i accumulate enough energy for invincible overpowered God Hand mode and then i just go to town at the toughest enemies at the map. God Hand duration lasts enough to kill several mooks.

Usually God Hand meter fills very slowly when you attack and dodge enemies, but there is "Yes Man Kablaam" move which gives a lot of energy if it connects. If -- because that move is ridiculously slow:

But it can be done if you dizzy then enemy first. On fat guys you can do up to 3 "Yes Man Kablaams" to fill meter almost completely.

I usually try to not to use overpowered roulette moves -- not only because i am too gud at this game (i am not), but also because roulette orbs are very rare in this game. The best use for roulette moves is too use them to reorient yourself.

The game has dynamic difficulty. The better you do the hardest the game gets -- from level 1 where enemies barely put up any resistance to fourth level called "Die!" where each mook is faster than me, can counter attack all of my cheap tactics and generally stonewalls me. When i have enough of me dying to the lowliest thugs at level die, i swallow my pride and activate "grovel" move to drop difficulty back to level 1. But because enemies are such pushovers at level 1 it doesn't take long for game to notice that i am doing too good for it's comfort and increase the difficulty again.

Such a great game.

Faster than light (Steam):
Randomness is inherent part of the roguelikes. However too much randomness is annoying.

In FTL, i constantly get events that are complete crapshoot where i have 0% chance of surviving them. The very same event that was ended up favourably last time ("do you want to help colonists fend off alien spiders?") might kill my crew member this time and when that happens i just restart right away -- it's pointless to go on.

Controls are very PC, mouse and keyboard, lots of keyboard shortcuts. Sometimes this complexity gets in the way, especially when you're in battle.

Economy seems wack. There is absolutely no way for me to collect enough scrap buy ANY upgrades in the first sector. The best i can do is to buy some fuel and repair my hull a bit and proceed further, praying RNG would be merciful for me.

I can only either upgrade my ship or buy upgrades. There isn't enough scraps to do both.

Binding of Isaac (Steam):
Yet another roguelike with lots of randomness.

However! FTL could learn from BoI in terms of designing encounters. First of all encounters are "fair", and if you really want want you can survive anything or just run away.

Secondly, "luck" is an exposed stat in BoI and you can and should manipulate it. You're not at the mercy of RNG -- you can actually tip the scales.

That is why "Cain" character who has "lucky foot" item from the start is the best character in the game. He gets the best chests, pills are always good for him (without luck on your side pills might as well stunt or kill you). Even if he only has 2 hearts instead of 3 at the start it all pays off even as early as level 1.

One thing i didn't realize is that keys are the most important resource in this game. Each level has golden room with an upgrade, the best strategy is to collect keys and keep opening these rooms and constantly upgrading yourself.

Bosses are also possibilities for upgrades. After you kill them sometimes you get heart container AND in devil room you trade these containers back for more upgrades. Because of Cain's boosted luck you can easily have up to six hearts as easrly as level 2 and you can safely give up some heart containers for really powerful devil upgrades.

This leads to some really crazy stuff the further i go:

I've "completed" the game four times now. Apparently each time i get new ending and according to achievements there are 10 of them?..

First it was Mom, then Mom's Heart, then i fought Satan in Sheol (to even get there i had to use shovel to dig deeper after completing Womb level, and it seems like it is the only way to get there) but i suspect there will be more final bosses after it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:18:45 PM by azeke »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 25, 2016, 04:36:09 AM »
FTL is a weird beast. With some ships the RNG makes a massive difference, some the RNG has almost no effect due to the tactics you employ. The events are semi-fixed so you can learn or look them up. If you get a blue option it is always going to work out for you. The spider one is quite common and you never fight the spiders without a blue option as it is always a losing proposition.

As for scrape the first thing you should upgrade is shields by one and the power to run them. You can get one power from deactivating the medbay. Upgrading the shields first mean sectors 1-3 you are for most part invincible. Buying parts isn't going to be a priority ever compared to say getting more power or getting a really nice weapon. Don't spend your cash on repairs too early as that is money that is not improving your ship and the same for fuel.

The best way to take out a ship is to hit the shields first, then switch to weapons, once they are both weaken or destroyed you can take your sweet time killing them. If you have a Teleporter and the crew to use it, it is a gamebreaker(Mantis ship almost always wins). Killing the crew nets you more cash than blowing up the ship. Also learn when to run from a fight, sometimes it is better to run as it will cost you more to kill than you will get from a kill like if it is an auto scout loaded with nothing but missiles.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 26, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »
FTL:
I usually deactivate sickbay and bump up engine because it doesn't require any upgrading.

Upgrading shields to level 2 is quite expensive -- you need 50 for two bars of reactor and 50 for shields themselves.

RNG complaint is quite common, and it is annoying to see people disregard it as "git gud scrubs". If i die in 9 out of my 10 attempts and don't even have anything to show for it (no permanent upgrades), this is not "apply more skill" or "you've made a mistake 15 minutes ago somehow learn from it", this is just wasting my time.

I have engi ship and it's ability to heal my crew wherever helps against boarding parties. Cutting deals, especially with slavers seems like the way to go. If anything i gain more resources from deals than from annihilating everyone.

God Hand:
Mad midgets fight is beyond annoying.

Sheer chaos of five midgets running at you from all sides, stunning you constantly, this a clusterfuck of a boss fight. This is barely playable, within two seconds you can get stunlocked and dizzied and get your health reduced to zero.

The only way to survive is to cheese your way through by activating god hand from the start getting some damage in, activating super damaging two orb area of effect roulette power while midgets are still around me. Because that is not enough to kill them, you then have to run around and pray their forehead lasers won't hit you, find god hand refill hidden in one of the barrels and do it again.

A single midget poses no threat -- just keep punching him and he is getting juggled in the air helplessly. But with five of them constantly attacking and stunning -- it was a very frustrating night. I read advice on gamefaqs to start using multi-hit moves and it helped, it was kinda obvious in retrospect: when a midget runs at you you can safely spam barrage of punches at them and they will be juggled, you can only do that for about 1-2 seconds though because other midgets won't stand idly and will likely stun you if you stand in one place for too long.

These damned midgets took me almost entire night.

Shannon boss fight after that was okay. Intro and post fight cutscenes are still amazing.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
FTL

Shooting Slavers is great, usually if you hurt them enough they offer you one for free.

Cut engine power for shields unless they have missiles.

Sometimes your death will be completely BS, but this game isn't as bad as some out there like The Darkest Dungeon which is completely BS as every choice will lead to a **** up. I hate the Git Gud crowd since they never realise other people aren't masochists nor understand difficulty is one element of a wider system.

Depending on the ship doors are a great upgrade as it lets you flush boarders and put out fires real quickly without risks to your crew.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?