Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700219 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #925 on: October 05, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »
Dark Souls (PC): Not sure how this is a bad port. Got DSfix, got Watchdogs, got a PS2 controller working with a Xinput emulator and everything works perfectly. I've fallen through the ground twice and sometimes the game "freezes" you at a bonfire, but aside from that I've had a better experience then I have on console.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 05, 2015, 12:25:09 PM »
Hard to find good levels, but also no one seems to want to play mine.

Ars Technica has a pretty interesting breakdown of how the "cream" rises to the top in visibility in Super Mario Maker.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/10/how-to-make-a-popular-super-mario-maker-level/

In case you don't want to bother, the TL;DR version is basically doing one or all of the below:

- Be one of the first people to make a popular level when the game released, then have your followers in-game continue to star your new levels.

- Be a youtube personality or someone with an outlet that gets attention, then advertise your levels via lets-plays on your channel.

- Have levels completely devoted to letting you get the amiibo costumes.

It's disappointing, if maybe not all that surprising that it's unlikely for your level to get exposure based on these factors alone, unless Nintendo does some work to change how you can search and providing a better algorithm for the trending levels.  That said, I think the entire article is worth a read.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:36:24 PM by lolmonade »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 05, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
Good link to the arstechnica article.

What disappoints me most isn't that numbers are proving out my fears of what people are uploading during their chase for stars (ie: levels that I don't want to play), but the comments sectino where people defend no-touch, auto-scrolling levels getting rated higher than interactive stages because they are "works of art".

Some of those comments are made tongue-in-cheek... but not nearly enough.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Good link to the arstechnica article.

What disappoints me most isn't that numbers are proving out my fears of what people are uploading during their chase for stars (ie: levels that I don't want to play), but the comments sectino where people defend no-touch, auto-scrolling levels getting rated higher than interactive stages because they are "works of art".

Some of those comments are made tongue-in-cheek... but not nearly enough.

Just further illustrates to me the absolute need for there to be tags that users can use in describing games (autoplay, Amiibo, Maze, etc), and then let users filter/sort the levels by those filters.  I have no idea how hard that is to implement, but it's absolutely necessary for a game like this to stay fresh.

I don't think anyone expects mostly Mario quality levels to be made with this editor, but I'd much prefer to tailor the level selection based on my interests, and while I'm sure it takes lots of time and effort to make them, autoplay or "just hold right" levels lose their novelty to me pretty quick.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #929 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Hard to find good levels, but also no one seems to want to play mine.

PM me yours, buddy. I'll play 'em and even give you my thoughts (the latter might not be so exciting to you, though. haha)!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 06, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »
I can attest that I made a level with Shulk in it (thoroughly mediocre, but I did it just to test out some things) and until this weekend it was my most starred level.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 07, 2015, 12:44:15 AM »
Transformers Devastation (PC, Steam):

I was afraid to raise my expectations about this game after Korra, but judging on few first hours it's a better game.

Korra and Revengeance had a major combat debilitating flaw -- enemy design favored parry/block so much there was no reason to use anything else. Combat devolved into sequence of baiting enemies into parries, executing invincible QTEs and repeating ad nauseum.

Transformers is based more on Bayonetta and the main defense mechanic are dodge, witch time and dodge offset with vehicle attacks as combo finishers.

You can string vehicle attacks into rush attacks which also helps to isolate enemies -- this helped immensely in a mission against all six of Constructicons at once (not my video, but the same mission):

There are also some mechanics with shooting, something like Vanquish style, maybe? I've seen people rolling going into slow motion and headshotting robots like that.

Loot system with hundreds of weapon thrown at you is rather overwhelming, it also seems to have Kid Icarus style fusing or something? I looked at it, got lost and just left my default weapons as they are.

I also abstained from upgrading my weapons. RPG style leveling up and plain damage upgrades seem like was their sacrifice to general audience to ensure lil' Timmy can still have fun with the game without actually learning how to play by upgrading everything and killing everything in one-shot.

I really like how game deals with offscreen projectile attacks by showing enemy lock-on on you, giving you enough time to dodge in time.

I am still getting used to transforming by holding dodge button, it'd have preferred double tapping dodge like panther in Bayonetta.

Unfortunately game has no cloud saves, so this means i can't play at home then resume my campaign during lunch break at work. I guess i could copy my save file manually...

FINAL BOSS (PC, free):
What an amazing shmup.

I've rarely played an official game with so much polish much less some random freeware game. Graphics, music, controls, animations even UI seem to have been polished to a sheen.

I love it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »
I've been playing Super Meat Boy again with its launch on Sony platforms. The big story has been the fact that they had to change the soundtrack, which doesn't bother me at all, and other than that it seems to be a fantastic port both on PS4 and Vita. It's the same amazingly tight and brutally difficult platforming as ever, which I'm loving all over again, especially since it has seamless cross-save between the two versions, letting me pick up my save wherever I am.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:01 AM »
I've went back to Metro 2033. It's not a bad little FPS.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 09, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
I've been playing Super Meat Boy again with its launch on Sony platforms. The big story has been the fact that they had to change the soundtrack, which doesn't bother me at all, and other than that it seems to be a fantastic port both on PS4 and Vita. It's the same amazingly tight and brutally difficult platforming as ever, which I'm loving all over again, especially since it has seamless cross-save between the two versions, letting me pick up my save wherever I am.

Yeah, Reddit seems to be all up in arms about it, but I played it on mute on PC, so it doesn't bother me any.  Super Meat Boy is a game that's perfect for playing while listening to your own music or podcast.  That, and it's so much more enjoyable playing with a controller.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
Coming from a fan of animation and a number of the voice actors in Transformers: Devastation (including the source material), the voice acting seems very subpar and the cutscenes editing is quite bad.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
Did anyone get into the Star Wars: Battlefront beta much? I really enjoyed it, definitely captures that Star Wars feel. Some ironing out of some balancing issues and spawn issues and it'll be a lot more enjoyable.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC): Really solid JRPG so far. Decent story. Decent battle system. Nice length of content. Characters are enjoyable. Detail in lot of places. Not the best ever made, but I would rate very highly.

Did anyone get into the Star Wars: Battlefront beta much? I really enjoyed it, definitely captures that Star Wars feel. Some ironing out of some balancing issues and spawn issues and it'll be a lot more enjoyable.
My friend played it. Said that it is a horribly balanced mess right now, but definitely enjoyable. Still very excited for it myself.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 14, 2015, 02:23:19 AM »
Throwing in the towel to Freedom Wars (PS Vita).

Man, so many things went wrong with this one.  You get to a point (2/3) towards the end when the level just SPIKES to insane levels.  Item drops are random and you can't buy anything decent so you're relying on upgrading your weapons which requires resources that are on certain level/maps but the game doesn't tell you what'll you'll find on what levels, you'll need a guide.

Hell, there's NPC's that trade with you can't even see what they are offering you in return.  For example, I give this one fook an extremely rare item and in return he gives me two shitty low teir items.  Since you're trading BLIND with no way to backout of a trade you're either need the GUIDE or not bothering to trade at all.

You fight the same enemies on the same maps, only difference is their HP keeps going UP. 

And lastly, you can't upgrade your basic stat (HP) which means even the lowest teir soldier can kill you. 

-----------------------------------------------

Stay away from this Nightmare of a game.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/07/playstation_vitas_freedom_wars_attracts_criticism_due_to_fierce_difficulty
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:50:11 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
I watched some videos of people playing. It looks great, art style and all that. But it just seems to be yet another modern, online FPS. I really like all things Star Wars but am lukewarm on FPS's. I won't rush out to get a PS4 just for Battlefront. I want a SW adventure-type game, I do.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 15, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

I burned about 30 minutes playing it.  It's a good game, it's just that if you know how Battlefield games play, you know what you're getting into, just with a layer of Star Wars Paint on it.  It's kind of neat to play a game in the Star Wars aesthetic, but overall just solidified why I feel I made the right choice in not preordering.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 15, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
This article on SW Battlefront made me slightly more interested in it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #942 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
playing a lot of Payday 2 and War thunder on steam lately great games, especially Payday 2 probably my most played on Steam now and for a guy who has over a 1000 hours on Gary's Mod...
Made you look ****.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 18, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
Alundra on PS3/PSV. Picked it up again after Gui spoke of it and to some extent I curse the mixture of pride and patience that I have invested in this. I have now finished ~10 dungeons and the last two "major" dungeons were really annoying, the first one moreso because it is really heavy on combat and the enemies there are hard to defeat and I ran out to buy healing items two to three times to actually get to the boss.

I will take on another "dream dungeon" later on and then I'll be more or less done with the game for now since it is getting increasingly hard to keep me engaged with the redundancies this game presents you with.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
Finishing up my rounds on the 3DS, only a few more titles to go and I will likely sell the puppy.

Fire Emblem Awakening:

So after becoming really absorbed in the virtual console release of Fire Emblem GBA, I grabbed this awhile ago and have only just gotten around to it in the last few weeks.

First of all, I sort of ruined the experience for myself by going with casual mode. I'm about 3/4s of the way through the game and I am just steam rolling through. On the other hand, I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with permadeath and re-doing entire levels at this point (I leaned on save states with the GBA game). I really wish they had included a middle-tier semi-casual setting that would include permadeath but also allow you to save a few times on a level.

Other than that, it's more Fire Emblem, and I'm not sure I need to play another of these games after this one. It does seem like they stripped out some of the more interesting environmental elements to levels in this game, and it's really irritating that most of the paralogues are gated behind grinding support relationships rather than achieving specific goals within maps. Easy and unlimited access to shops also takes the pressure off of item management. I was somewhat hesitant toward this game due to the 3D, but it actually snaps in and out of battles very fluidly (especially holding fast-forward) and there is a bevy of presentation options.

Chibi Robo: Zip Lash:

So halfway through this game is . . . okay. It plays well enough and I enjoy digging the collectibles out of the levels. Visually it's quite bland and the levels all feel like they're constructed from generic block sets. I actually don't mind the vehicle sequences I've encountered so far outside of the skateboard run and its lack of checkpoints. As has been copiously noted, the destination wheel is totally dumb and pointless. It wouldn't be that much of a hassle, except that getting in and out of levels is such a slog anyway, especially if you're leveling up the Amiibo. I would probably be less pleased with the experience if I hadn't gotten the bundle for $30.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 26, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
Metal Gear Revengeance (Steam):
Action games demand a lot more from both player and game design. Game has to be fast, fair and provide a freedom of options at every given moment.

Revengeance has some elements of that, but fails to bring it together. The biggest problem (one of the very, very many) is camera. It's not a even a design flaw. No designer in his right mind would knowingly sat down and designed most frustrating and malevolent camera in action games genre. They ran out of time or lacked people or something. It's an obvious bug. It's not supposed to be that way:

The problem is actually three-pronged. In action games camera AI, enemy AI and lock-on mechanic are all interconnected always ensuring player doesn't get offscreen attacks and can see what's going on.

In this hot mess of a game, all three components **** the bed individually in spectacularly fashion and also fail to interact between each other. Lock-on completely overrides manual camera movement and thus becomes unusable in groups with more than one enemy (read: all of them). Camera fights you all the way through the game, and enemies are just fine with attacking you from off-screen.

At least i finally discovered "the secret" behind MGR. To parry you actually don't need good timing or deliberate attack patterns, which is what i expected coming from better designed games.

Apparently you just need to mash! It's that easy. When you see incoming attack jerk stick into the enemy and when you see Raiden go into block position, keep jerking the stick.

No wonder so many people like this game.

The other "secret" was that you're supposed to level-up your weapons, which is an outrageous proposition for an action game, because if you allow blatant damage boosting you can kiss your game balance goodbye. For example you can't properly set fixed time limit for getting highest rank because fully upgraded sword will kill a boss twice as fast. Unless you are setting the limit with fully upgraded stats in mind from the beginning but then it's even worse because you are now forcing players to grind and make it impossible to do a "perfect run" on single playthrough.

Concept of "perfect run" is also ruined by another design goof: shooting enemies. How are you supposed to "perfect" the game where most of the enemies can randomly decide that it's time to shoot at you and do 0.2% of chip damage to you ruining "no damage" bonus?

Sub-weapons (rocket launchers and grenades) also haven't been polished much. They just doesn't mesh with the rest of the game and when game forces you to use them it (save a civilian by shocking soldiers about to shoot him or shoot down flying enemies) it just becomes frustrating.

I've beaten it once and went on to Hard difficulty. Fully upgraded sword and mashing "technique" makes bosses on second playthorugh compete joke. I got no damage on Mistral in less than a minute.

Oh and unfortunately Mistral theme turned out to be the only good theme song in this game.  All other songs continued to be cacophony with vocalist screaming his ass off.

Other bosses were fine i guess. Solid Platinum bosses, some nice use slicing mechanic. I kinda liked Sundowner boss fight in that regard.

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (Steam):
Grinding my ass off.

Wings of Vi (demo on Steam):

This seems like a good La Mulana replacement while i wait for a sequel.

It has similar hard difficulty and weird jumping mechanic.

Only Wings of Vi has some generic indie-game sprites, while La-Mulana had a more distinctive look based on images of various mythological creatures from around the world.

Outside of that this looks like a game for me.

Binding of Isaac (Steam):

wut

Binding of Isaac continues to be a great lunch-break waster on work.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 26, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
Finishing up my rounds on the 3DS, only a few more titles to go and I will likely sell the puppy.
Do you sell all of your games when you finish them once, or do you not like the 3DS specifically?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor.

If Batman murdered everyone in a flurry of steel and bone, it would be this game. The story so far has been forgettable at best likely from stretching a couple of paragraphs of the source material into it's own mini-epic. It has far less collectables, which is nice compared to the Batman games where there were far too damn many of them.

I still prefer the Batman games as the AI state changes as you pick dudes off, not that shanking a guy in the kidneys before silting his throat isn't enjoyable, it's different.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 26, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
Do you sell all of your games when you finish them once, or do you not like the 3DS specifically?

I pretty much sell everything off when I'm done with it if I can get physical copies, as I don't really replay games at this point. I actually like the 3DS fine for what it is, but I'm not really into handhelds and mainly picked up a unit to play through the exclusives now that the console has mostly run its course. I probably should have looked into the library more closely beforehand, as it's surprisingly thin compared to the DS. As of now I think I've got Kid Icarus: Uprising, Metroid II on VC, and Box Boy on the eShop and I think that's about it. I wanted that DX version of Monster Tale, but it's apparently vaporware.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 26, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
My 3DS is basically a Fire Emblem (and Rhythm Heaven, when it comes out) machine, and I've only had it for a year.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV