Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700518 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #900 on: August 27, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Following up on my clearing house run:

The Talos Principle (PC):

This has been on my radar since it came out, but something about the descriptions of it made me wary. But with The Witness coming out who-knows-when, I decided to give it a shot.

I have real mixed feelings on this one. I'm glad it exists, and I've been extremely absorbed by it for most of my playthrough thus far, but I really wished it was better. When it's on, it's on, but I've hit too many bullshit puzzles at this point to give it a hearty recommendation. There have been a few cases where I've just looked up the vanilla answer, because I knew I could acquire the sigils using "meta-puzzle" exploits meant for the secret stars, and every time I've done so I haven't felt bad about it because I was stuck due to pretty lame design choices. Like, basic properties of the game not being made clear, solutions hinging on elements that you're trained to interact with in certain ways being different in one-off situations, intentionally misleading stage design, the fact that you can cheese through certain puzzles without it being entirely clear if it's intended or not. Also, overall, wayyyyy too many laser puzzles.

As for the secret stars, which I assume are necessary to unlock the top of the tower, they're cool in concept, but I've forgotten where so many of them are after having spotted them on the first run-through that I'm just going to use a guide to clean them up. And also because they involve going back through old puzzles to dig out elements and align lasers and such, and I don't have the patience to grind back through tons of levels just to locate star locations to begin with. (Plus, also, I looked up the clock puzzle because I thought there was a glitch and boy was that fucking silly.) I've gotten 9 on my own so far, though, and that's good enough for me.

I like the scenario, but they overdo it with an avalanche of text modules that become repetitive and meaningless. The background and "philosophy" also don't develop at all after the first third of the game, so it becomes increasingly irritating to read the same Problems of Philosophy 101 stuff over and over again, without any actual meat added to the apocalypse pre-history.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 31, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has drawn me back in thanks to the Capcom sale letting be download the game to 3DS.

I'm up to Mark of a Hero, and admit to having some trouble... as a Bow guy, it seems hard to get enough damage done in time. I checked online and the preferred "solution" seems to do the quest with G-Rank gear. That seems kind of like cheating when it's only a High Rank quest, and sounds like it would take me a lot of grinding. Meh.

That said, I only tried the quest once before deciding to go upgrade my (High Rank) weapons and armor. Will probably try again soon, after getting back into form after a few months of not playing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain (Steam):

Downloaded the game on work. Work internet downloaded 20+ Gbs in minutes, my home computer by comparison spent entire day downloading the game (i initiated it from work on home PC with steam). It should be finished by the time i come home.

Only had the time to play for an hour during lunch break and that wasn't enough to complete prologue. It is a tutorial type mission where both you and a playable character go being an immovable plant to being able to control eyes, then you start to move and walk and so on. This is kinda smart.

As you learn controls you are being hounded by killer squad, supernatural freaks, and accompanied by a mysterious partner who is implied to be a figment of your imagination. Adding to the paranoia is that i am not even completely sure WHO i am playing.

Weird how default Y-axis setting is reversed, seriously threw me off. Also i see they fixed the bug with mouse cursor constantly appearing.

Good stuff.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 04, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
More
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain (Steam):
What else?

This game will likely take over ALL of my gaming time for the next month or so. And even my non-gaming time -- i am also playing this game on work during lunch breaks and before official work hours start. Work bus gets me to office earlier and that means half an hour more MGSV time for me.

Weird how default Y-axis setting is reversed, seriously threw me off. Also i see they fixed the bug with mouse cursor constantly appearing.
Apparently this happened because when doctor asked me to look up i accidentally moved my mouse down and game decided that i want it reversed. Kinda clever.

One of the harder missions so far was when they wanted me to destroy tanks:

My strategy was to put horse in the middle of a road so that tank convoy would stop right on top of my mine C4 mines.

But then grinding reared it's head. At the beginning all the equipment you have is low-level and very weak. I wasted four C4s (entire arsenal on level 1) on one tank and it still wasn't enough to destroy it and convoy consists of TWO tanks and a truck.

I was forced to transfer more guys into R&D department, upgrade C4 and develop some basic rocket launcher -- to dispatch second tank.

Outside of mission structure and grinding TPP also inherited another part of Peace Walker. Snake's face is completely blank and emotionless all the time, and it's just as distracting here.

Even you expect him to express something, ANYTHING, he is still completely dispassionate. Even when D-Dog joins you, which is a very touching scene he's still standing there like "whatever".

In the first mission you get D-dog, it becomes striking how vast Afghanistan area is, simply because you can't ride your horse and have to run around more. I did it for a while until i said enough and called my horse back. Missions also sometimes leave you as far as 5 kilometers away from destination, so that you could do some additional sub-mission on the way there.

Ground Zeroes' base was around 300 meters squared, while TPP's Afghanistan is at least 4-5 kilometers squared. And most of it are rocks and dusty roads. All the action concentrates in outposts, bases, small villages. The only thing you can do while crossing plains is to collect some plants and micro-manage your base and it's rather tedious.

Apparently there is some fast travel system but from what i see it puts you right into the middle of a base surrounded by dozen guys and with limited ability to do recon. Ideally what you to do is when entering base is to find some high place nearby and look around marking everyone and everything.

Side-ops are placed all over the map and you are not ranked on them. That's fantastic. Grinding for S-ranks on side-ops in Peace Walker was terrible, soul-sucking grind. Now, you can do them just by entering designated area as you just ride around, so you can complete several of them at once.

They changed voice command menu and now you have additional action to confirm your command, it was bothering me because it was so easy in Ground Zeroes. I am guessing with so many new voice commands (like dedicated command ordering your horse to defecate) they wanted to prevent false positives.

Game wanting to be always-online is annoying because Konami's servers don't work half of the time and if they do, online adds noticeable lag to your UI. Simply opening your map may take you up to 10 seconds. Thankfully you can go offline and it plays just fine.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:30:49 AM by azeke »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 19, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
Continuing my elongated tying off of the hobby, here are a few more entries, with a theme!

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS):

I played the first game upon release (rental, thankfully) and remember finding it kind of fun, but very underbaked as a full release (thought it would now fit nicely in the Captain Toad tier that Nintendo has created). Nonetheless, I'd read some pretty positive impressions of this game, so picked up a copy.

I was kind of in love with it for the first two locations, and then partway through the clock factory I started to get impatient with the movement and pacing, and got really pissed off at the boss. Still, I do enjoy how tactile the game is and how it replaced the more dexterous ghost fights with increased interactivity and more puzzle-solving. I just wish that more of the missions did more with path gating, as I'm getting OCD about sweeping back over old territory to find Boos and such.

The 3D on this game is also great, works really well with the diorama style of the perspective, and in practice it's actually harder/worse to play with the depth off. Also, this feels a bit more like an Elebits-style game, where you're rooting through every available cranny trying to boost your score than the semi-action approach of the first game, and I think it's definitely an improvement. I'm going to give it a bit of a break and hopefully get some of my initial enthusiasm back. (I probably played it too much in a short span of time.)

New Super Luigi U (WiiU):

I had always intended to get this, but my brother sold my copy of the base game while I was on extended vacation, and after that I never spotted a stand-alone copy. Which are now apparently semi-rare, as I had to pay near $40 online for a used copy with shipping (Nintendo very frustratingly doesn't have a stand-alone eShop version).

So playing this for the first time today, during the first two worlds, I was like, this isn't that hard and is going incredibly fast, and then by the end of the water world I was sweating and thanking the stars that I managed to beat the final level with no lives left. I'm getting totally taken apart in Soda Jungle and have taken three continues. This game might actually be too hardcore for me.

Some observations relating back to the original game(s):

-The whole "only save when beating a fort or castle" thing is fairly innocuous in the base game, but is increasingly frustrating here. It was a bit of an irritating anachronism before, but now it's far more aggravating. I'm not even bothering with the star coins for the most part, in favor of just beating the game to unlock the free save.

-The art style: This and Nintendo Land were kind of baby's first HD game for Nintendo, and I think it manifested in making things overly clean, short of glossy and flat. A lot of the actual art and modeling is good, but would have benefited from sturdier textures and less school-photo-y lighting. It's jarring to see the heads on the airships; it would've been great if everything else in the game had that kind of unique grain. (Ditto Nintendo Land in some spots).

I do think they've made it past this pretty quickly though. Mario Kart 8 has a similar approach in a sense, but manages to pop much better, and 3D World has a very warm and textured presentation.

-Mini-Mario Pipes: I've spotted a few of these in alternate exit levels from the vanilla game, and it is disappointing. The Mini-Mario exits from the original DS game were one of the lamest elements of that fairly lame game, and I'm sorry to see that repeating here as an arbitrary gate that requires coming into the level with a rare/post-game item.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:31:12 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 19, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »
Phoenix Wright :Trials and Tribulations.

Wow this game is getting real dark. This is going to end depressingly dark. Then on to Edgeworth investigations

Metal Gear V: TPP

I am both impressed by the little details like that little tune when getting on the horse and the designer's method to balance out Quiet by making here annoying to work with and lack of built-in transport the horse provides. That said, being open world brings alone it's inherent issues which is dead space which leads to commuting. Thankfully the maps are small compared to other games of it's type and areas of activity are clearly defined which lessen these negatives.

There are a lot of real time helicopter transitions which is there to no doubt to cover for the slower drives found in the consoles compared to an SSD where it should be near instantaneous, however they cleverly hide would have been dead space by giving you management tasks which materially effect the world. Managing your staff, developing new weapons, expanding the base, detailing missions, listening to tapes.

It also helps that this game has an incredible amount of content which you can go back to with better equipment so you can get higher ranks, and you still get rewarded something for completing them like money, more staff, missing blueprints you missed the first time round.

I haven't even touched on the multiplayer yet as I haven't reach that point in the game where that unlocks, but they just announced a dedicated mutli game which I will get for free, so this is excellent value at full price.

That said, $100USD is crazy steep, but I paid $100NZD which is one of the few times a game has been cheaper here instead. Same thing with XCOM 2, **** that **** is expensive.

GOTY material alone with games like Invisible Inc. Highly recommend both.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 19, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »
I was kind of in love with it for the first two locations, and then partway through the clock factory I started to get impatient with the movement and pacing, and got really pissed off at the boss.

I loved the pacing throughout.  It was sort of a respite from the fast-paced games I had been playing at the time.  The only boss I really hated was the ice boss...it probably took me a dozen tries (or more) to beat it. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 19, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
I was kind of in love with it for the first two locations, and then partway through the clock factory I started to get impatient with the movement and pacing, and got really pissed off at the boss.

I loved the pacing throughout.  It was sort of a respite from the fast-paced games I had been playing at the time.  The only boss I really hated was the ice boss...it probably took me a dozen tries (or more) to beat it.

Yeah, I mean, I definitely find it refreshing for the most part. Partially it's an OCD thing on my side, where I will comb over every available room during every mission, but the fact that I'm able to do so is a design thing that I wish they had tightened up to save me from myself. The clock boss I found very frustrating partially because if you lose you have to start the whole mission over again with the elevator and such, and each run took about ten minutes three times before I beat it. Also, with the more intense ghost fights popping up, the limitations of the circle pad/lack of a C-stick is becoming more problematic.

Still a very good/unique game, though, and a notable improvement over the first outing.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 25, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
Another report as I titrate down, this time with a vague time travel theme:

Super Time Force Ultra (PS4):

This was on my radar, as I'm interested in games doing more with temporal elements, and it popped up on PS+ so I gave it a download. First thing, this is pixel art done right. It's not trying to ape the aesthetic of a particular nostalgia platform, but instead uses the style to create a fresh visual approach that couldn't have been done in the olden days. So thumbs up there. Thumbs down for the attitude and "lol speak" writing, which is both overbearing and insufferable.

Gameplay wise, it's a bit of a uncomfortable mash of puzzle, strategy, and Metal Slug. It can occasionally be very satisfying to achieve effective time loops on discrete portions of levels, but for the most part the design is pretty bland and linear, making the prospect of replaying a long-term loom unexciting. I like that there's a wide selection of characters, but most are useless and it's easy to find a dependable handful and grind through most sequences. The boss encounters are better executions of this tight-time formula, but get kind of samey themselves. Overall I'd be interesting to see this time mechanic used in a slower-paced, more puzzle focused game.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS):

This frequently pops up on best of DS lists, so I ordered a copy recently with some Amazon gift certificate money. I really didn't know much about it, and have been a tad nonplussed to find that it's basically an unusually interactive visual novel. There's a lot of potential in the actual ghost-tricking gameplay portions, but the solutions thus far tend to be very straightforward and don't really take advantage of the adventure game template of having access to multiple locations. I also really wish you had a free hand to fast-forward and rewind in the timed portions, and rewatching narrative bits is very tiresome.

The art and animation is pretty great, however, and I actually do appreciate the density of the story and how much it loops back on itself. This is a very rare case where I'm genuinely curious about where the story of a video game is headed. There's a bit too much anime flamboyancy on the margins, but it could've been a hell of a lot worse.

Soma (PC):

One of the few new games I've been looking forward to. Despite the fact that I found Amnesia pretty underwhelming, I thought the original teaser for Soma was killer. I avoided media about it afterward, and I've been a bit disappointed to find that it has taken a significantly different tack than was implied. Overall it's quite engaging, but is more of an interactive narrative than something like Outlast or Amnesia. I tend to give this approach more of a pass when it comes to the horror genre, as it's the best fit for this kind of media meld, and the scenario here is fairly interesting, with a strong (if a bit over-familiar) atmosphere and detailed environments. There is the odd bit of Amnesia gameplay peppered about for short segments, and light puzzles here and there, but I have yet to feel any real pressure.

Boy am I glad that the events are real, and that the game isn't a manifestation of mental illness/trauma. But I am also disappointed that the deluded robots aren't hideously transmogrified humans, and are instead just misappropriated brain scans.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 25, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
Ghost Trick is so good and it only gets better, RFN game of the year 2011 no less.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
Until Dawn is what Heavy Rain should have been.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 27, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
Suikoden on my PS3 (PSone classic). Just got my base and I'm now beginning to recruit characters. Let's see if this keeps being as good as the first few hours were.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 28, 2015, 03:06:41 AM »
I just finished SOMA myself on the PS4, and..I really didn't like the game. The science fiction part of the game was fine, possibly even great. However, it's just bogged down by tedious, unpleasant, repetitive horror hide & seek sections that add nothing to the game. The enemies aren't even scary, just annoying.  Hell, the game doesn't even bother to explain one of the biggest aspects of that horror element, despite it having a "resolution" near the end of the game. So much of the game is just spent fumbling around in samey underwater sections looking for something you can do that I just could not get into the game.  It also doesn't help that the game runs like ****, with the game constantly freezing every 5-10 seconds to either load more area or autosave.

Overall, SOMA just feels like a big bucket of ideas just thrown together with no regard to how they work together. It's a mess, and I really didn't enjoy it. The whole experience feels like a half-assed Alien: Isolation clone tacked onto a genuinely cool hard science fiction story.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 28, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Continuing my elongated tying off of the hobby, here are a few more entries, with a theme!

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS):

I played the first game upon release (rental, thankfully) and remember finding it kind of fun, but very underbaked as a full release (thought it would now fit nicely in the Captain Toad tier that Nintendo has created). Nonetheless, I'd read some pretty positive impressions of this game, so picked up a copy.

I was kind of in love with it for the first two locations, and then partway through the clock factory I started to get impatient with the movement and pacing, and got really pissed off at the boss. Still, I do enjoy how tactile the game is and how it replaced the more dexterous ghost fights with increased interactivity and more puzzle-solving. I just wish that more of the missions did more with path gating, as I'm getting OCD about sweeping back over old territory to find Boos and such.

The 3D on this game is also great, works really well with the diorama style of the perspective, and in practice it's actually harder/worse to play with the depth off. Also, this feels a bit more like an Elebits-style game, where you're rooting through every available cranny trying to boost your score than the semi-action approach of the first game, and I think it's definitely an improvement. I'm going to give it a bit of a break and hopefully get some of my initial enthusiasm back. (I probably played it too much in a short span of time.)

Interesting you say that, I am stuck at the Clock factory boss and haven't retried to beat him more than half a dozen times. The five minute slog you have to go through each time you fail to get back to the boss Gauntlet is irritating. I don't like the camera angle on that fight either.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
I just finished SOMA myself on the PS4, and..I really didn't like the game. The science fiction part of the game was fine, possibly even great. However, it's just bogged down by tedious, unpleasant, repetitive horror hide & seek sections that add nothing to the game. The enemies aren't even scary, just annoying.  Hell, the game doesn't even bother to explain one of the biggest aspects of that horror element, despite it having a "resolution" near the end of the game. So much of the game is just spent fumbling around in samey underwater sections looking for something you can do that I just could not get into the game.  It also doesn't help that the game runs like ****, with the game constantly freezing every 5-10 seconds to either load more area or autosave.

Overall, SOMA just feels like a big bucket of ideas just thrown together with no regard to how they work together. It's a mess, and I really didn't enjoy it. The whole experience feels like a half-assed Alien: Isolation clone tacked onto a genuinely cool hard science fiction story.

I see what you mean and for the most part agree with these criticisms. Right after I picked the game back up from that post, I encountered the hour-long Outlast section, which was just a pain in the ass, and kind of bizarre given that nowhere else in the game is there an extended "horror" sequence like that. I was fine with that gameplay popping up here and there for a few minutes to add some texture/fiber to the interactive narrative approach, but they really should have stuck to that mix.

I did, overall, enjoy it though, as I thought the actual story and most of the progression was well done, but only if you look at it as a souped-up walking simulator, which I was fine with in this case. It didn't rely on twists and I thought it filled in its details well as it went along. But yeah, they totally dropped the ball with the Wau confrontation and the phantom guy. There really needed to be something else going on there, or a much better conclusion to that thread given that the Wau is the ever-present antagonist.

@shyguy

Yeah the clock boss is pretty awful. This game really shouldn't push dexterity based scenarios like that gauntlet given the control limitations. Should've been scrapped at the drawing board. The ice boss is also fairly shitty for different reasons, but it only took me two tries and didn't have the extended lead-up. I'm now on the last mission before the final boss, which is another enemy rush type situation, and failing it twice so irritated me that I haven't picked it up again. I'll finish it at some point, but my enthusiasm for the game only kept dropping after my first posts. I did like the motif of the final mansion, though.

I think this is a case where they haven't nailed the franchise yet. A full console game with the controls and pacing of the first game, combined with the expanded gameplay and puzzles of Dark Moon could be great, especially with full horsepower to juice the atmosphere and include better physics.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #915 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
I'm still addicted to making levels in Super Mario Maker. hehe
Other than that, I'm still in the middle of my Little Battlers eXperience save data (on episode 8, I believe), and started Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer on Friday.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 29, 2015, 11:52:18 PM »
Right now my current rotation consists of:

- Life is Strange (PS3) - need to start Ep. 4 before the finale releases.
- Lost Dimension (PS3)  - close to finishing my first playthrough.
- Super Mario Maker (Wii U) - Going to be there for a while.
- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Wii U) - finished the second set of levels.
- Dirt 3: Complete Edition on Mac (Steam) - just for kicks, never finished the game on Xbox 360.
- Mario's Picross (3DS) - my break game at work.

I'll start up Mario Tennis for the retroactive now, and I'll occasionally be playing Splatoon and Smash Bros every once in a while.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
Metal Gear Solid 5 is not my thing.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:54 AM »
Metal Gear Revengeance:
I always had the hardest time trying to get into this game. For two years now i was occasionally playing and re-playing demo on 360 every few months only each time leaving completely confused by it.

Now that i started playing full game, i realize it's not me. It's the game.

Revengeance makes a number of weird showstopper design goofs right from the get go. Not just for an action game which demands a lot more from both designer and player but these mistakes are so basic and "videogames 101", it's baffling.

For one, camera is completely busted and unplayable in default state. It starts to move on it's own when not asked and stays completely still when you want it to move. Camera thinks that putting a main character on aesthetically pleasing 3/4 position on screen and keep an angle that is strictly horizontal more important than you know, SHOWING ME WHAT I AM FIGHTING.

I generally never touch right stick to realign the camera and usually rely on camera AI and use manual locking-on if i stop seeing any enemy. I expect the game then to lock-on to some enemy and show them to me. Even since lock-on was invented in Ocarina of Time "lock-on" function was meant to inform the game that i want this particular enemy to stay in my viewpoint at all times.

In Revengeance "lock-on" is not even a recommendation for the game to change the angle. You can lock-on and the camera will ignore it and refuse to show me locked-on enemy or ANY ENEMY for that matter. What's the point of lock-on in this game then if it literally does nothing and actively ignores the function it was invented for?

Thanks to me playing on PC i was able to mod the game and "fix it".

I also personally dislike how main character is so squirrelly and moves semi-randomly in the middle of his attacks. How am i supposed to properly position myself if Raiden constantly moves all around the place? Also the way how you magnetically snap to enemies Batman-style is yet another way how this game thinks it knows better than you, along with camera with attitude.

Another problem is timing for parrying. It's kinda insane. I am used to parrying at the last possible moment from other action games. But in Revengeance this doesn't work because you have to get into parrying stance FULL SECOND before an attack. I expect the game to be faster than that and parry at the last third of a second and it fails and i take damage. Because i am too fast.

Also having to attack for parrying and having automatic snapping on to enemies basically forces you to mindlessly spam light attack. Maybe that's exactly what they wanted to do?

Another problem is enemies that shoot at you from distance. How are you supposed to take no damage if when i am fighting some group of dudes three new guys appear across the stage and start shooting at me? Ninja run at them? Okay, but then previous group of dudes start shooting at me. And when i run up to new guys i have to stop ninja running and can take cheap potshots. It seems like the solution is to constantly cause parry QTE during which you are invincible but it feels so dumb.

The problem with shooting enemies becomes 10 times worse when they have RPGs. Then you just die. Unless you do stupid "stealth" option to dispatch them one-by-one which feels like a complete lip service and feels completely alien in this game.

This game is one of the very few action game that doesn't make enemies more passive when they're out of camera viewpoint. In other action games camera AI and enemy AI synchronized to always give you a fair challenge to avoid attacks coming from blind spots. Revengeance ignores that established convention, so there will always be tons of bullets and rockets flying at you from offscreen.

Attacks that cause you dizzied and force you to do wiggle stick QTE are plain annoying. Attacks that shoot 100 hundred rockets at you at once and you are supposed to use blade mode to cut them in air are baffling too, because how am i supposed to get them all in blade mode without just spamming light attack in random direction?

I really hope i can jive with the game more than i am right now.

Game is praised for it music, but so far i only liked Mistral theme. Previous boss track where i fought Metal Gear Rex was just some generic buttrock with some dude screaming something unintelligible.

Metal Gear Solid V:
Got the first "ending". It was stupid and bad.

Then the game kinda falls off even lower.

Cue 30+ hours and 50 side-ops later i reached second ending. It was so unsatisfying and completely pointless.

Then yet another 10 hours later i reached final mission with Quiet. It was enraging because you HAVE to have completely upgraded rocket launchers or you will die. And i entered this mission without knowing that so for a few days i tried to do this mission without upgraded rocket launchers which was a exercise in frustration. I couldn't even exit the mission to do it at later time more prepared because for this mission (and this mission only) option to abort mission is disabled. This is ultimate bullshit.

At least gameplay is still very good and redeems everything else.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 30, 2015, 03:32:46 AM »
Persona 4: Dancing All Night is...intense. I don't know how all those people in my Twitter feed have managed to earn "King Crazy" on some of these songs. The best I've managed on any of the songs on "Easy" is "Brilliant" (the 2nd-best ranking). So far, I really like the game, but the track list is really repetitive. The vast majority of the track list feels like remixes of the same 3-4 songs. They're really good remixes, but there's only so many times you can hear the opening to Persona 4 remixed.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #920 on: September 30, 2015, 05:32:16 AM »
I never got King Crazy myself, but I think it's a combo of getting all Perfects and difficulty level.

And you'll get a little more variety once the songs from Story Mode unlock.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 01, 2015, 02:03:51 AM »
My current rotation of games is:

Super Mario Maker, which is thoroughly depressing.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD which is enjoyable and much more streamlined, it's keeping a good sense of momentum going.
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, which is frustrating, but more enjoyable than the original campaign because of its customization.
Elliot Quest, which is brutally hard but so amazingly rewarding. This is the title that I play the least because it wears on me the most.
Phantasy Star 2, which is incredibly equipment-oriented, but really quite nice.

I'm trying to do a sweep of the games that have been updated and some that are in my backlog in preparation for the doozy that is going to be Legend of Legacy, Fatal Frame, Rodea, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
Still playing Suikoden.

I think I'm almost done with the game, though now it appears I need to stop to get some of my weaker characters ready (around Lv. 50) for the next army battle. The two things that aren't really that great about this otherwise very good game are the inventory and party management.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 02, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
My current rotation of games is:

Super Mario Maker, which is thoroughly depressing.

Why is it depressing?  Because it's hard to find good levels or hard to make them?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 05, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »
Hard to find good levels, but also no one seems to want to play mine.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.