Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700042 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2015, 11:43:04 PM »
There is nothing impressive about camera logic in Sunshine.

Because there is none.

It just trails behind unless you take control of it. 64 had more camera AI than this.

Stockholm syndrome-ing oneself into liking this kind of camera doesn't make it good.

There was little to no polishing done on camera. Just on like the rest of the game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »
About 40 stars into my replay of Galaxy 2, I can honestly say I haven't yet run into a situation where the camera really bothered me. You can't control it, but I've never felt like I needed to. Compare that to it making me rage quit during the 5th shine in my Sunshine playthrough.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:50 AM »
Ah, see... Camera AI is another story. Yes, there is little camera AI. I guess I just prefer direct control, especially in exploitable environments, which the galaxy games do terribly. I see my appreciation of the camera and its functions no differently than how some people play through flawed character action games and convince themselves the poor design choices are worth appreciation.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 28, 2015, 03:56:12 AM »
Yeah, in terms of control Sunshine's lightyears better than 64, in the sense that you can actually control it effectively with the C-stick, I just felt like it needed too much babysitting and had a bad habit of shifting around on its own when I really didn't want it to. Maybe if I stick with it I'd get used to that, but I'm not sure I feel like going through that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 28, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »
I just felt like it needed too much babysitting and had a bad habit of shifting around on its own when I really didn't want it to. Maybe if I stick with it I'd get used to that, but I'm not sure I feel like going through that.
Camera isn't even the main problem of Sunshine.

The man problem would be uncharacteristic lack of QA and polish for Mario game. Then gimmicky levels with physics that doesn't work at all yet still ended up in (watermelon, pachinko). Misaimed attempt for a story.

I remember Michel Ancel's interview when he mentioned that when that Miyamoto mentioned Beyond Good and Evil and had the gall to say Ancel that he should have looked at how camera doesn't work in Sunshine.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: July 28, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
The man problem would be uncharacteristic lack of QA and polish for Mario game. Then gimmicky levels with physics that doesn't work at all yet still ended up in (watermelon, pachinko).

I knew that watermelon level was bad even as a teenager playing Sunshine.

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 28, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
Ugh, the fruit and Yoshi should have been omitted entirely. Sunshine kind of reminds me of Jak and Daxter, how the fun parts were really fun, but the bad parts almost made me snap the disc in half.
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 28, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
Mario Sunshine is the reason I have no problem with Nintendo either delaying games like the upcoming Zelda, or using DLC to add to them like Splatoon.  Sunshine is so blatantly rushed and unfinished it's not even funny.  Yes Wind Waker was also unfinished but at least the content in that game wasn't as broken and terrible as some of the stuff in Sunshine, and some of Wind Waker's biggest flaws were a lot easier to fix like improved sailing and making the Triforce quest less tedious like they did in Wind Waker HD.

This is probably why they haven't bothered to release an updated version like Wind Waker since the amount of work to bring Sunshine up to par would basically require them to turn it into a completely different game by the time they were done and that kind of effort is better spend on just making a new game anyway.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 29, 2015, 05:00:01 AM »
I just finished Life is Strange Episode 4, and...wow. Just...wow. If you haven't gotten into this series yet and you like adventure games, you really need to play Life is Strange. It's one of the most emotionally effective games I've played all year. I just hope the final episode (TBA) manages to stick the landing, which is often a problem in detective thriller stories like this. *cough*Heavy Rain*cough*

I'm going to be playing the new King's Quest next, now that Sony finally fixed their pre-order screw-up. I've never played a game in this series, and this one just looks fantastic.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
I just finished Life is Strange Episode 4, and...wow. Just...wow. If you haven't gotten into this series yet and you like adventure games, you really need to play Life is Strange. It's one of the most emotionally effective games I've played all year. I just hope the final episode (TBA) manages to stick the landing, which is often a problem in detective thriller stories like this. *cough*Heavy Rain*cough*

I'm going to be playing the new King's Quest next, now that Sony finally fixed their pre-order screw-up. I've never played a game in this series, and this one just looks fantastic.

Got a few questions for you on life is strange:

What's the gameplay like compared to say, a telltale adventure game?  Wiki makes it seem the rewind feature affects the outcome, but are there decision trees in dialogue and/or the actions you take?
How long has each episode been?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
I bought N++ on PS4, and holy **** is this game not screwing around. Even in the tutorial-ish levels I'm often dying several times. I was a big fan of the original, and so far the only thing I can complain about here is it's not on Vita. Pure hardcore platforming goodness, and there are apparently literally thousands of levels to go through.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 29, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »

What's the gameplay like compared to say, a telltale adventure game?  Wiki makes it seem the rewind feature affects the outcome, but are there decision trees in dialogue and/or the actions you take?

Don't want to step on Broodwars' toes, but I'd say the gameplay is comparable to the first season of Walking Dead, where there were actually kind of puzzles and you sort of had to do stuff to progress. The rewind feature is the gameplay hook, and the game structures the occasional obstacle around it. I've only played the first three episodes, but each has been around 3 hours if I recall correctly. 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »

Don't want to step on Broodwars' toes, but I'd say the gameplay is comparable to the first season of Walking Dead, where there were actually kind of puzzles and you sort of had to do stuff to progress. The rewind feature is the gameplay hook, and the game structures the occasional obstacle around it. I've only played the first three episodes, but each has been around 3 hours if I recall correctly.

To add on to that, there are definitely branching conversation paths you can take, which the rewind feature lets you explore a bit (though sometimes the game will lock you into a series of choices w/ an area transition).  And while there have definitely been puzzles, most of them are minor ones centered around "how do I get this item to this location when this event or obstacle is in my path at this point in time?" And yes, I've found the standard episode length around 2-3 hours, depending on how thoroughly you explore, how deep you go into conversation trees, and how many optional conversations you engage in (compared to Telltale's games, there are a LOT of NPCs you don't "have" to talk to, but who offer information or minor choices that pay off in later episodes).

That does change significantly in Chapter 4, though. There are some pretty significant logic puzzles and one MAJOR, intricate Sherlock Holmes-style investigation puzzle you need to do where you take all the clues you've gathered across the previous episodes & form a deduction from them. Also, episode 4 is quite a bit longer than the previous episodes, clocking in at around 4-5 hours for me.

It's also worth noting that, unlike Telltale's games, Life is Strange actually...functions on a technical level. Aside from a framerate issue I ran into that was related to my PS4 just being on too long (which I resolved with hardware reboot), I haven't run into a single crash, weird jank, or choices not carrying over correctly.  The only serious flaw I've run into on a presentational standpoint is that character lip flaps just don't sync to the dialogue (and there's a bit of a "dead eye" problem with the models, where character just stare at you during conversations). They never have, and the developers have acknowledged their engine just can't do it. It's just one of those things you have to overlook in favor of just really solid storytelling and characterization.

I will say this, though: don't go into this series expecting heavy action. This is very much an "indie movie"-style adventure game, with a focus on character interaction and mood rather than "OMG!IT'SAZOMBIE!KILLIT!" It's a slow burn that I've found very rewarding to come back to every few months when a new episode releases and just enjoy "being in the moment" with the characters.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:55:07 PM by broodwars »

Offline stalfo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 31, 2015, 02:47:12 AM »
Hey everyone, been playing a few games. SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker and Rhythm Heaven. Both first games I've played in their respective series.

I'm really enjoying Devil Survivor 2, put about 22 hours into it so far and enjoying the gameplay and the story. Although there are times when it can get frustrating because you just get dominated and have to restart a level. Its has the famous demons and fusing systems in the game, but this time you summon them through your cell phone. The 3D is pretty much useless because the top screen is mostly just stats for the demons and the action takes place on the touch screen, yet ironically enough you can't use the stylus to navigate the map during battles. The sound track is pretty great and the voice acting isn't bad, but the overall volume of the game seems to be a little low to me. Overall though, I'm really enjoying it.

After hearing a lot of talk about the new Rhythm Heaven game, I decided it was time for me to pony up and get the original for the DS. This game is so whacky and fun I absoutely adore it. I haven't gotten to far, just wrapped up the third remix and looking forward to getting more time into it this weekend. My favorite game so far is BlueBirds, that little duck giving the commands with the voice is so great.
@case_jets

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 31, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »

To add on to that, there are definitely branching conversation paths you can take, which the rewind feature lets you explore a bit (though sometimes the game will lock you into a series of choices w/ an area transition).  And while there have definitely been puzzles, most of them are minor ones centered around "how do I get this item to this location when this event or obstacle is in my path at this point in time?" And yes, I've found the standard episode length around 2-3 hours, depending on how thoroughly you explore, how deep you go into conversation trees, and how many optional conversations you engage in (compared to Telltale's games, there are a LOT of NPCs you don't "have" to talk to, but who offer information or minor choices that pay off in later episodes).

That does change significantly in Chapter 4, though. There are some pretty significant logic puzzles and one MAJOR, intricate Sherlock Holmes-style investigation puzzle you need to do where you take all the clues you've gathered across the previous episodes & form a deduction from them. Also, episode 4 is quite a bit longer than the previous episodes, clocking in at around 4-5 hours for me.

It's also worth noting that, unlike Telltale's games, Life is Strange actually...functions on a technical level. Aside from a framerate issue I ran into that was related to my PS4 just being on too long (which I resolved with hardware reboot), I haven't run into a single crash, weird jank, or choices not carrying over correctly.  The only serious flaw I've run into on a presentational standpoint is that character lip flaps just don't sync to the dialogue (and there's a bit of a "dead eye" problem with the models, where character just stare at you during conversations). They never have, and the developers have acknowledged their engine just can't do it. It's just one of those things you have to overlook in favor of just really solid storytelling and characterization.

I will say this, though: don't go into this series expecting heavy action. This is very much an "indie movie"-style adventure game, with a focus on character interaction and mood rather than "OMG!IT'SAZOMBIE!KILLIT!" It's a slow burn that I've found very rewarding to come back to every few months when a new episode releases and just enjoy "being in the moment" with the characters.

Sounds perfect for what my wife & I are looking for.  I like some of the tense action stuff, but she cares more about the dialogue & story.  Not only that, but the technical failures of Telltale games make it a bit aggravating when something glitches out or loading times make everything chug.  Thanks for the details.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 01, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
After hearing a lot of talk about the new Rhythm Heaven game, I decided it was time for me to pony up and get the original for the DS. This game is so whacky and fun I absoutely adore it.

I just picked up a $5 copy of Rhythm Heaven Fever for Wii and love it as well.  It's one of those rare games that is fun to play and everyone in the family enjoys watching.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:11 PM »
After hearing a lot of talk about the new Rhythm Heaven game, I decided it was time for me to pony up and get the original for the DS. This game is so whacky and fun I absoutely adore it.

I just picked up a $5 copy of Rhythm Heaven Fever for Wii and love it as well.  It's one of those rare games that is fun to play and everyone in the family enjoys watching.

I forgot to update with my findings! I too picked up a cheap copy of Fever and enjoyed playing in on the WiiU, only to learn that there is significant lag when playing the Wii mode through the TV. Afterward I booted the game on the Gamepad, and sure enough there was a lag on the TV that wasn't present on the Gamepad. But the irony was that I had already had the "lag" timing ingrained from hours of playing, and removing it totally screwed me up.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 01, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
On Rhythm Paradise DS I have got up to Moai Doo Woop 2 and just can not continue, the slow section completely destroys my sense of rhythm.

I will probably pick up the Wii game if/when it's put up for download on Wii U.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 01, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
I too picked up a cheap copy of Fever and enjoyed playing in on the WiiU, only to learn that there is significant lag when playing the Wii mode through the TV. Afterward I booted the game on the Gamepad, and sure enough there was a lag on the TV that wasn't present on the Gamepad.

Interesting.  I consider myself fairly musical and didn't perceive any lag. Maybe I'll try it on the gamepad just to compare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 02, 2015, 03:32:52 AM »
I finished the first episode of the new King's Quest earlier tonight and it's really good, though it's just baffling how you have no control over saving. On a side note, I also don't understand at all why this game isn't on Wii U. It's being released on everything, and there's absolutely nothing objectionable about it from a content perspective. Everything is over-the-top; colorful; and cartoony, with the exception of one entirely bloodless death mostly off-screen. Maybe the Wii U wouldn't be an easy port and making the game run almost flawlessly on PS4/etc. was difficult enough as it was, but like Tembo I feel like it would have found some audience on the system.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: August 02, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
I forgot to update with my findings! I too picked up a cheap copy of Fever and enjoyed playing in on the WiiU, only to learn that there is significant lag when playing the Wii mode through the TV. Afterward I booted the game on the Gamepad, and sure enough there was a lag on the TV that wasn't present on the Gamepad. But the irony was that I had already had the "lag" timing ingrained from hours of playing, and removing it totally screwed me up.
Yep.

Punch Out!! is also made much harder on Wii U due to this...

I have to play it on gamepad.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:46 AM »
Galak-Z is just about everything I could ask for in a Robotech game...that's not named Robotech. I've reached Season 2, and I'm really digging it so far. The VHS-style UI, the spaghetti-style missiles, the pinpoint precision of your ship's turning ability, epic dogfights, and transformable-****ing fightercraft?!!! Yeah, this is my kind of game.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 04, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »
The Playstation Vita version [of Galak-Z] was cancelled
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Sounds like a game right up my alley. Eventual Windows release, I suppose... *sigh*
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 04, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
I've now spent a good half hour or more on one single N++ level on several different occasions, and I'm still fairly early.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 06, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »
Playing

Binding of Isaac (original Steam release):
I know about Rebirth, but i feel like original flash game is fine as is. Despite DLC and remake coming since then original still has lots of content and is pretty cool by itself.

When i got the game originally, i beat it once and didn't feel compelled to replay it. But now, many years later i feel like getting as many achievements as i can and just like Super Meat Boy it has a lot of them.

I unlocked few more characters and interested to see all unlocks the game has.

Captain Toad:
Finishing up.

I completed first two books and now finishing speedrunning third.

Bonus books challenges might be the hardest of them all, simply because how tedious they become especially because they all happen in the same levels only slightly rehashed.

Stealth Bastard:
S-ranking later levels (world 5 and up) is becoming ridiculous. Time limits became too tight and impossible to meet unless using almost-glitches stuff. I wonder if they didn't test it properly or fully intended it to be this way.

I was stuck on 5-7 for a few weeks until i gave up and looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDoqDxMBs5c -- super tricky jump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0OdPf8h4U -- did it this way

Same was with 5-9.

I think the main problem is how rigid stealth mechanics are. All levels are puzzles that you can solve only in one way, and it also requires high execution skill so there will be a lot of repetition until you get it right. Rigid nature of enemies also doesn't allow for manipulating them in your favour which is often half of the fun in other stealth games, like MGS.

Metal Gear 1 (MSX game through HD Collection):
This game makes me feel tired. I appreciate how innovative the main idea, but it doesn't excuse insane backtracking and obtuse puzzles. It goes beyond simple Metroidvania formula with 8 (EIGHT) keys that unlock various doors all over the maps. By the end of the game all those separate keys will take half of your inventory.