Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700567 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
Finally tried the demo for Lucadian Chronicles on Wii U.  It's actually pretty good... not what I expected, but fun and easy to play casually since you kind of set up your plan and then let the results play out.  Definitely good enough to spend time with the free version. and if you enjoy it then the full experience is just $8.  Odd how nobody is talking about the game though - I hadn't seen a single review until actively searching, and even then only found two.

Not sure if I'm buying or not, but the demo was good enough to move it onto my wishlist for now.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 15, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
Thomas was alone (Steam):
Meh.

It's so hard for me to play this game. I usually play this in sessions of 20 minutes because that's how fast debilitating boredom sets in.

To compensate for a dull gameplay, a bunch of Little Big Planet voices pretend they can give captivating The Office-like "characters" to a set of coloured rectangles, but it's not working on me.

Captain Toad (Wii U):
No title screen and no attraction screen is a bummer. The game hasn't even started yet, but it already gives me an impression of an eShop title.

The game itself is exactly what i expected and it's great.

The only problem so far is that there are two zoom modes for the camera and both are bad. One makes Toad barely visible (especially on a Gamepad screen) and the one is way too zoomed in.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:47 AM »
For some reason I've gone back and have been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. I probably don't have to tell anyone here that it's a fantastic game, but I've really been struck by the presentation. I'm a huge fan of 3D Land and 3D World, and still prefer their level design, but the absolute spectacle of the Galaxy games is just incredible. This is really making me hope we don't have to wait too long to see EAD Tokyo go all-out with the franchise like this again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #678 on: January 16, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
I'm going to beat Fantasy Life's campaign tonight. I'm going to continue the side content that makes up the meat of the game. That'll be my 550th review for my site, which makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life. ...Nah!

I'm also completing the final contracts in Killzone: Mercenary. They're the same levels as the campaign, but these contracts have different objectives you have to do in one of three categories: Precision, Covert, and Demolition.

LittleBigPlanet 3 is a pretty big disappointment and continues to spread my dissatisfaction with Sony. The game was obviously rushed to launch in the holiday seasons, glitched levels, buggy transitions, and more. I'm excited to create my own levels, but I hope there's no glitches with the level creator.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:27 AM »
Since the second wave of Lucasarts games just hit GoG, I decided to finally go back and play the one I bought from the first round, TIE Fighter. Took a little work to get it running right and recognizing my joystick, but once I did it was a lot of fun. Very dated graphically, but still a great experience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #680 on: January 23, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
I have a bunch of new stuff (read: old that I'm playing for the first time) that I'm playing.

Ape Escape: On the Loose is my first entry in the series, and I'm really digging it. Liking the level design, the puzzles involved in getting and finding the monkeys, and since I've never played an Ape Escape game, I can't say I miss two analog sticks, as I didn't grow up playing the games.

I finished Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal last night, and I'll post my thoughts in the other thread.

I'm also skate-first into Jet Set Radio HD on the Vita. Somewhat frustrating to make it to higher locations (i.e. falling at the last possible moment, requiring you to make your way all the way up again is annoying), but it's fun overall.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 23, 2015, 12:27:23 AM »
Guacamelee is making me angry. I may not come back to it.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:17 AM »
I'd say stick with it. But yeah, the game has some really bad habits that bring it down. It was charming enough to pull me in every time though. YMMV.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 23, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
Guacamelee is making me angry. I may not come back to it.
Get a Coop Partner.  Doesn't matter who, mine was my son who was 3-4 at the time.  It helps.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
My problems with Guacamelee are that the combat stopped evolving several hours ago, and the enemy rooms they are constantly throwing at me aren't really difficult, just tedious.

What is difficult is the jumping puzzles, oh man! Left-right b-pause-b right trigger to dimension swap, up A! after awhile, I started thinking it's just bad design having to two different buttons and a shoulder trigger to jump where you need to go.

The story, the style and the color are all enjoyable though.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #685 on: January 24, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
I'm currently playing Heroes of the Storm, I was a sucker and bought into the beta, though the character pack and mount is about worth it. It's an enjoyable game.... I wish I had people I know to play with though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:46:29 AM by BlkPaladin »
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 24, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »
I'm currently playing Heroes of the Storm, I was a sucker and bought into the beta, though the character pack and mount is about worth it. It's an enjoyable game.... I wish I had people I know to play with though.
If you count forums I've been in the Beta, though I stopped a little, and we can play if you want to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
Bandfuse: Legends of Rock

I always wanted to try one of those "real guitar" games, and well, it's pretty awesome. It was $2.97 brand new for PS3 at GameStop too. I'm going to go back tomorrow and get more copies if they have any left.

I also have Rocksmith (original version) for Xbox 360 coming tomorrow from Amazon (free Sunday delivery with Prime wha-what?!!). I got the original since it was only like $35 with the cable.

Also, you'll notice that these are the PS3 and 360 versions, and not the PS4 and Xbone versions - because they do not have analog output and the audio lag will make the game basically unplayable through HDMI and slightly less so through optical audio output. You can adjust the video lag, but the audio cannot be corrected because the sound originates with the guitar, so you have to use analog output.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 25, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
Just a little update - it's really almost unplayable unless you use headphones, or an SDTV, or a PC monitor with analog speakers. Kind of sucks, but it sounds amazing in my Turtle Beach 5.1 surround headphones. Come to think of it, Rock Band would be much better suited for headphones too (drums at least)...glad I'm hooking the old consoles back up.

« Reply #689 on: January 25, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
I dusted off my USB hard drive that stores all my, um images, and decided to **** the VC and go back real gaming the way its meant to be, on a Windows PC. I played a couple of hours of games that will never release on the Wii U because Nintendo = dumb fucks. I also decided that I am spending, at least some of, my tax refund on a new gaming PC.

I also spent some time trying to get into Tetris on PS4, it's not the best version of Tetris I have ever played but its close to the worst. Makes me miss the old Atari bootleg version even.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 25, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
Is that the Ubisoft Tetris? Everything I've seen of it makes it look Horrendous. The Puyo Puyo Tetris out of Japan looks awesome though.

« Reply #691 on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:58 PM »
It's called Tetris Ultimate or something like that, its awful I hate it. The controls are sluggish, the music is warped which I despise, the options are not easy to navigate or configure, well not overly complicated but not as simple as a game like Tetris demands, its Tetris but its not a very good port. You have to beat level 15 just to unlock the normal mode most people play. Its frustrating because at level 10 the bricks practically drop straight to the bottom and you cant adjust difficulty like normal Tetris games. I am usually pretty good at Tetris but this one is just not that fun. And yes it is by Ubisoft.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
This is the Tetris I want to get. It's Japan only and physical disc only because of the Ubisoft exclusive deal. PS3, PS4 and XB1 are region free, so it's a hot import item.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
So, I went to the Flea market and picked up a few things;

Aliens Infestation for the DS, which I have always been curious about as a Wayforward Game

Thunder Force 3, which HOOOOOOOOOOOLY **** that's a fun but kinda expensive game, but still quite a nice prize for my genesis colection

and...

I modded my SNES for Super Famicom games! :3 FF5 was a cheapie, and I've played it enough in english.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:32 AM »
This is the Tetris I want to get. It's Japan only and physical disc only because of the Ubisoft exclusive deal. PS3, PS4 and XB1 are region free, so it's a hot import item.

This looks really fun. Wish we got it here in North America!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
I modded my SNES for Super Famicom games! :3 FF5 was a cheapie, and I've played it enough in English.
An interesting idea. Even if I played it before I don't think I could enjoy playing an RPG where I can't understand a lick of it. I'll have to stick with the GBA version.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 27, 2015, 04:41:13 AM »
Captain Toad:

Beaten first book and got first credits. Also tried my hand at speedrunning levels, i wonder if i will get some kind of mark if i will speedrun all of them... Getting minimal time on some of them requires quite the finger gymnastic, even comparable to Devil May Cry 4 levels of finger tangling: you need to hold run bytton AND rotate camera AND touch blocks on the gamepad screen at the same time to reach low completion times.

Probably the best way to play this game is on gamepad while watching TV. It's not involving enough to be played completely zoned in, but it's still fun enough.

Bayonetta 2:

a-a-a-aaaand i got stuck on Chapter X. Cue TWO WEEKS of retrying:

^ all because of that blasted 12th verse where camera completely shits the bed.

Until finally:

After overcoming that huge roadblock, Alraune was pretty hard but at least she wasn't outrightly broken as Verse 12 on Chapter X or Masked Lumen so it was fair game:

She is probably the best boss in the entire game -- no bullshit and gimmicks, just a simple traditional vanilla 3d action game boss.

Witcher 1 (Steam):
So terrible.

I can't believe this game came out in 2007. I've played games from 80s that had less jank that this turd.

Camera is bad, controls are awful (both options), combat system is laughable. Models look okaaaay i guess.

Story -- there isn't much of it in the first tutorials sections, but it's nothing special so far. Also i actualy read the entire book series (and i don't think it's all that great).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #697 on: January 27, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
I modded my SNES for Super Famicom games! :3 FF5 was a cheapie, and I've played it enough in English.
An interesting idea. Even if I played it before I don't think I could enjoy playing an RPG where I can't understand a lick of it. I'll have to stick with the GBA version.

That was one of my motivations for taking a Japanese course in college. Waste of time when it was all said and done I can't remember hardly any of the language just more about their culture and history. It was a fun class but really hard language to learn.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »
Rocksmith - holy ****, this game is amazing! This is exactly what Guitar Hero/Rock Band should have been. Of course, there is no support for drums (like Band Fuse it's just guitar/bass/vocals), but other than that it's essentially the perfect music game. I don't have the 2014 version yet (tomorrow), but the music included is awesome too, and there's a lot of good DLC. I wish I would have picked this up when it first came out (though it was $30 for the game with the cable, so hell of a deal) but I probably would have spent too much time playing it.

If you play guitar and have an Xbox 360 or PS3 I absolutely recommend this game. Just, again, bear in mind that you need to use analog (as in most likely not even with a surround system, even if it's analog because of the DAC that will cause a delay) audio. I'm using the Turtle Beach Ear Force X31 headset - with the PS3 and optical audio there is actually zero latency, but the Xbox 360 creates just a *tiny* bit so I use analog. Either way it's an amazing headset and it still sounds great (the music is all in stereo anyway).

If you have PS4/Xbone *and* Xbox 360/PS3 I *still* recommend the PS3 or Xbox 360 version because the new consoles do not support analog output.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 28, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »
I played the Codename S.T.E.A.M. demo (only available through GameStop). It's good, and it supports the Circle Pad Pro for camera control like all good games do. Also, it's a very long demo: at least 6 maps long. On the flipside, it's a deceptively hard demo: the enemies are very fond of ambushes and easily outnumber you 5:1 by Map 6, and your characters kind of suck at Overwatching (I once saw an enemy stand by a corner of a box where they could shoot my guy, but my guy couldn't shoot back because they couldn't "see" them, despite them having clear line of sight. The demo's sold me on the main game, though.

On a side note, this is a VERY Intelligent Systems game, right down to the AI taking 5 minutes to take a turn and also making sure to wait on delivering a killing blow till their very last character they can move.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.