Author Topic: Kojima Talks Metal Gear Solid 3DS  (Read 2780 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Kojima Talks Metal Gear Solid 3DS
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »

Despite directing the 3D demo, Kojima may not be in charge of the final game.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23627

In a feature in this week’s Famitsu, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima talked about his involvement with the Metal Gear Solid 3DS demo shown at E3. The development of this tech demo started after Peace Walker was completed. Kojima reunited his team and told them that they would be making a demo for E3. The development of the 3DS demo was kept secret, with the team placed on another floor, making people believe that the team was on vacation, according to Kojima.

The demo was based on of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the PlayStation 2, but some of the character models and backgrounds were redone. "The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it's tough to see this. If we'd had a bit more time, we could have made something better." said Kojima to Famitsu.

When asked if Kojima would direct the final 3DS game he said that, "I was the director of the demo. What will happen from here on out is not set." The interview notes that the game just started development. To this Kojima adds that, "What we wanted to do this time is show that we're making an entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise that can be enjoyed in goggle-free 3D on the 3DS." With the possibility of the final game being a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3, Kojima explained that "MGS3's story can't change, so we're thinking of Co-ops, 3D and portable-like elements."
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Kojima Talks Metal Gear Solid 3DS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
They character models they made were albout on par with PS3.....
if they had more time they could have made them even better!!!?

HYPE!!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
Boarding the hype train!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:23:32 PM »
The most interesting I find in this is that interview he seemed to be hinting at a Revolutionary War MGS.

Also, I guess this kind of partially confirms the rumor going around that the 3DS is almost as powerful as the HD consoles.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
It's really not; it's just very good at shader effects.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
So how long until this is revealed to be an on-rails shooter? ;)

This does make the 3DS sound like a beast hardware-wise.  That's a good sign for Nintendo's next console.  Surely Nintendo doesn't want their damn PORTABLE to dwarf their console in graphics capabilities.  And on that note you would think the Wii successor is on the doorstep.  You would think if the Wii was upstaged by its portable sibling that it would degrade its worth in the eyes of the public.  People expect portable technology to be inferior.  This isn't the Wii looking inferior to a competing console, it's another product by the same company.  It will attract more attention from Wii owners than a competing product would.  So I figure the possibility of a Wii successor in 2011 is quite likely and that just fits the typical Nintendo schedule anyway.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
I hope Metal Gear Sold 3D: Snake Eater (minor thing, but it's not "3DS" in the name) is good since this would be the second MG game i've played.

As for Kojima, you can't listen to him. Every Metal Gear game he says will be his last, then he ends up working on the next. So no one should be surprised if he ends up working on this one too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
Which was the first you played? I'd suggest playing them in order of release date (besides Portable Ops, you can live with avoiding it) because the gameplay evolves with the series. It was hard going back to the original Metal Gear Solid (not Twin Snakes) after playing MGS2. First person shooting, for example, added so much to the series (and ironically ruined the original when introduced in Twin Snakes) The original Snake Eater was a good game so I would expect a remake to be just as good if not better. It would be nice if we got a prequel to Snake Eater that starred a younger Boss (aka The Joy... don't ask, play the game) or an interquel/spinoff starring Liquid.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
The only one I really played was The Twin Snakes (and I disagree that first person ruined the game, and it was even optional). I played a couple of rounds of multiplayer with a friend who who had Portable Ops, and I think I may have owned the first NES one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
a revolutionary war MGS, i don't see that mentioned but

the idea

creams
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:43:43 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »
I didn't say it ruined the game. Rather, the experience of the original suffers greatly by adding gameplay mechanics without amending the rest of the game, namely level design. Optional or not, those mechanics are there. I can't imagine the 7 people who played Twin Snakes without experiencing the original on PS1 seeing the additions as optional and deciding "They weren't in the original. I shan't use them now." For those who played the original, Twin Snakes is infinitely easier. Ocelot can be defeated without moving. The game is still fun in its own way, but as a remake, the game is totally unbalanced.

I'm biased against Portable Ops because it rofl-stomps continuity more than any other game in the series and in a way that makes no sense. It's the least important entry story-wise and its major plot twists confuse more than illuminate. I think most people could live happy without it existing.

Anyway, Subsistence added much appreciated camera control to MGS3, something that 3DS may not have without a second analog stick. I would be much happier with a Metal Gear Solid title built specifically for 3DS that didn't have to adhere to old gameplay or level design.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
why would you need a second analog stick when you could make the camera on the touchpad?

Honeslty as great as the ds was, i hated playing games that required the touchpad. Joystick to the rescue. Although im still going to play mario kart with the d-pad if it lets me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
They character models they made were albout on par with PS3.....
if they had more time they could have made them even better!!!?

HYPE!!

So there could be an MGS4 on the 3DS? Then I wouldn't have to buy a PS3.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
more than likely the mgs3D was just a quickport demo, the handheld will probably get its own game much like the psp gets its own game.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
I can't imagine the 7 people who played Twin Snakes without experiencing the original on PS1 seeing the additions as optional and deciding "They weren't in the original. I shan't use them now." For those who played the original, Twin Snakes is infinitely easier. Ocelot can be defeated without moving. The game is still fun in its own way, but as a remake, the game is totally unbalanced.

I never played the original. I did try the first person view, but I didn't like it (you could tell the game wasn't meant to be played that way and it didn't play well in that mode IMO) and ended up just playing it normally.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
For headshots. I thought it worked fine in Twin Snakes; it just made the game too easy. In Sons of Liberty, first person view was especially helpful for destroying the Ciphers (Snake's up+special in Brawl).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 02:33:17 AM »
i dont think i really used first person view in Twin Snakes

I had it on PSX, but it was given to me because the second cd was scratched. So, when I played it on Twin Snakes, i pretty much played it how it was meant to be played.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:36 AM »
I used the FPS mode for stealth shots mostly.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast