Author Topic: Yet another possible big scoop  (Read 1248 times)

Offline FOX McLOUD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yet another possible big scoop
« on: February 26, 2004, 06:09:49 AM »
Bloodsworth, this just in, "PSP delayed in the U.S. , Europe, and Australia until at least the first quarter of 2005." Let the celebration begin. This can only mean better things for the success of the DS. This tip was curtosy of yall's old friend over at the GI site, Billy the Big Hammer.

Sorry for any misspelled words, I am really tired. Plus I live in Texas, so YALL is proper English.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: PSP Delayed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 06:16:26 AM »
Again, you can use the news submission form on the site if you're looking to give us tips, but we wouldn't report on the PSP delay.  I'm moving this to Other Systems so people can talk about it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: PSP Delayed
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 06:54:02 AM »
Shouldn't the proper English version of yall be y'all?

This is an advantage for Nintendo IF they can get the DS out this year as planned.  Of course we don't even know what the thing looks like so who knows if they can get it ready in time.  We'll know at E3 I guess.  Nintendo may say that the DS is not in competition with the PSP but they also said that about the Cube and we all know how THAT turned out.  Therefore getting the DS out first should be a priority.  If the DS is backwards compatible and is essentially the new Gameboy, Nintendo could use the strong brand name and early launch to "pull a PS2" on Sony and keep their grip on the portable market.

However Sony says:

"We have received an overwhelming amount of support from the software development community with regard to PSP. In order to ensure that the launch timeframe is well supported, we want to allow developers and publishers sufficient time to optimize content for our new portable entertainment platform."

If that's the real reason then the goal is for the PSP to have a strong launch lineup in North America.  I'm betting this is to get EA Sports games ready for launch.  Therefore Nintendo has to make sure that if they launch earlier that they have both a good sized launch lineup and a comparible amount of games released before the PSP launches.  Considering that most third parties found out about the DS when WE found out Nintendo may have already fumbled on this part.  They may be okay though if they have an absolutely killer launch title that makes full use of the dual screen design (ie: not a gimmick game) and, if it's GBA backwards compatible, they release some high profile GBA games to keep DS owners busy.

I think this is an opportunity for Nintendo if they play their cards right.