Author Topic: X-Wing/TIE Fighter space flight sims  (Read 9590 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
X-Wing/TIE Fighter space flight sims
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:02:49 AM »
I just want to throw this out there - did anyone else get absolutely addicted to the X-Wing series of flight sims from Lucasarts in the mid 90's? Especially the second one, TIE Fighter. Still one of the best game series of all time. I'm just geeking out over it because I was recently able to get the collector's editions of those games running on Windows XP, and they are bringing back countless hours worth of memories. Before I owned any console, this is what I played. (Also Commander Keen games.)
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: X-Wing/TIE Fighter space flight sims
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
I was really into the first X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Then I got a new computer which wasn't compatible with my old joystick, and I was never able to find a new one that would work.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:41:26 AM »
I went out and bought a USB joystick to replay these games (and possibly get some modern space flight sims, but there aren't many.) I think it was this one, for about $20: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0563992&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063

Works like a charm.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:13:28 AM »
I simply adored X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. I picked up a CD version of the original but it doesn't work with XP :P

I think there is a Windows compatible version of both XWing and Tie Fighter.

I also have Alliance and X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter and was rather bummed out I never got a chance to play it online. I'm surprised they haven't tried to release a new version or even release the old ones on Steam. I
I'd love a chance to revisit them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Tie Fighter was the pinnacle of that series, even if things did get a little out of hand. I feel a little pissed off that I spent more than half the time in that game blasting imperials in overpowered ships than killing Rebels.

The ability to shoot down missiles of any type is both a blessing and a curse. Now you can shoot down that damn concussion missiles instead of flying in circles for the next bloody minute. You can protect capital ships better. But locking on a Cap ship to launch is a waste of time and a glitch you have to use if you want to score hits since dumb fired missiles are ignored by the AI.

I went out and bought a USB joystick to replay these games (andpossibly get some modern space flight sims, but there aren't many.) Ithink it was this one, for about $20: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0563992&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063

Works like a charm.

That is a good Joystick. I have the one that is a step down from that, an Extreme 3D Pro, but it's functionally the same. The only thing missing in that series of sticks is an adjustable hand rest. Saitek has something for that.

For the last Modern Space sim of it's kind ever made, I suggest you go here. http://scp.indiegames.us/

It's Freespace 2 and it's free. If you have the computer for it, crank up the GFX. It's no StarWars, but damn it you get to blow some **** up. It also comes with a massive number of improvements to the genre that makes the x-wing games look positively pre-historic.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
I've found the SCP project to be completely inscrutable, I can't even figure out how to install it. I think you need to get the original game first and I can't figure out how. It's been a while since I tried.

I've tried X3 but it doesn't run so hot on my Mac. I hope to get a newer computer before long, and when that happens, hopefully one of these will be out:

www.blackprophecy.com
www.jumpgateevolution.com

This is the only style of MMO I would ever CONSIDER trying out.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:16:03 AM »
Also FYI to anyone trying to get these games running on Windows XP, you may need to use this patch http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1406&tstart=0

Also, there was a really thin rumor back in August about some sort of revival of the series being in the works. I hope to God it's true: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175427
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:18:06 AM by NWR_Grant »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
Even just a re-release would be awesome. Plus if it sells well enough it could convince them to make a true sequel.

I may have to break out my old joysticks and see what ones I can get to work on my current system.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
The freespace install process has been massively streamlined now. Go to the site, top left is the automated installer. Run it, select the works which downloads everything and your off to the races. Hell I will make it even easier.

http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

Create a freespace 2 folder in your Applications folder first and run the Javapp from there.

Sometimes one or two of the file won't dl for one reason or another. The installer will tell you. You can then just go and download them manually. All the installer does is download everything from a FTP. It also does updates, so once in a while you run it and it looks for changes.

One last thing you need is a launcher which streamlines the Mods for you. Since you run a Mac like I do, just DL it from here http://www.soulstorm-creations.com/support/fs2_launcher/FS2_Open_Launcher_3.1.3.dmg Put the app in the same folder as everything else.

Currently there is a bug with the Mac version where there is a massive performance hit as the game gets the CPU to run shaders or something like that instead of the GFX card. In the launcher under troubleshooting you need to have ticked -no_glsl.

You do not need the original game or anything like that. That is some very old info. Once you get it playing, I suggest you start with Freespace 1. It's FSport under Gameplay+hud. Choose the Media VP version if your computer is up to it. Also always use a different profile for each different Mod, but it is safe to clone one from another mod as it only copies the settings.

If you have any questions, give me a msg or in this thread for everyone else's benefit. It's too good of a game to pass up.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
Oh that's awesome. Thanks for laying it out for me! I guess my mistake was in clicking the "Downloads" link instead, and that didn't seem to give me anything that would totally take care of the install for me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:07:27 PM by NWR_Grant »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:04 AM »
Yeah, having some trouble with this. Ran the installer and everything seemed to go fine except it said it failed to download multiplayer missions, Twilight and Shivans, which I assume are campaigns that I don't necessarily NEED for the game to run, correct? Then I double clicked the launcher, and the following error message appeared:

"Flag file not found!

It appears that the application you have selected is not valid, the flag file that it produces in order to make the UI and other things cannot be found."

I click OK on that and the launcher window comes up, and I'm able to select the fsport mod under "Gameplay and Speed", but then clicking Launch results in... nothing. Any ideas?

(Also, the Troubleshooting tab has no options under it.)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:07:29 AM »
Under the graphics tab in the launcher you need to designate the FSopen application path. It is at the very bottom. Hit the "..." button and in that window select FS2_open-3.6.10.app. Once that is done all the flags etc should work as expected, also make sure to update the launcher itself. You can manually check this under fs launcher, check for updates.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 02:58:01 AM »
I forgot to answer your other question. You don't need those files to play but you can find the files here: http://freespacemods.net/files/

The shivans file can be found here: http://freespacemods.net/files/inst_files/brshivans.zip

Twilight can be found here: http://freespacemods.net/files/inst_files/twilight.zip

Unzip and place the folder into your freespace 2 folder. I wouldn't worry about the multiplayer stuff, but try running the installer again. I haven't played the multiplayer yet, so I can't help you here if you want to do that. But FS2 is primarily a single player game.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
Under the graphics tab in the launcher you need to designate the FSopen application path. It is at the very bottom. Hit the "..." button and in that window select FS2_open-3.6.10.app. Once that is done all the flags etc should work as expected, also make sure to update the launcher itself. You can manually check this under fs launcher, check for updates.

Yeah, I've done all that but that doesn't fix the flag file message, and the game still doesn't launch :(

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
The line at the bottom should read /Applications/Freespace2/FS2_Open-3.6.10.app

I assume everything is in the same folder? Select the item that actually has a Freespace logo showing. when you DL it, it dls everything including linus/windows versions.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've got the right thing selected. http://grab.by/2ASa http://grab.by/2ASj

Are you quite sure you don't need to have the retail version of FS2 installed? I'm seeing information as recent as August saying you do... http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=65038.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:59:27 PM by NWR_Grant »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »
No since the version I have is the the same version you have. Have you try just launching app? If that works like you can get into the game etc, that means you just have a launcher issue. (Unlikely)

But I think I remember what I did a year or two a ago was that I torrented a copy of FS2 that was already Mac ready. I then ran the installer over on top of that when it became available. Give this torrent a try. http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3411764/Freespace_2 It's 1.43GB. It's the same torrent I used.

I have DLed the torrent and found the old file so I am seeding just in case there aren't many others and to help get your speed up. When your finished tell me so I can stop.

I am sorry about all this. Looks like I was mistaken since I got it running ages ago and just took it for granted.  :-[

Edit - Your probably missing some files called sparky, tango, warble, smarty. However I am running updated versions of those files... If it comes down to it, I can burn a disc for you.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:26:35 PM by oohhboy »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »
OK, I've got the torrent going, thanks for the link!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
Tie Fighter is the only PC game I ever owned on floppies, but I still managed to get it working on a new computer a while back.  I couldn't find the manual, sadly, so I couldn't get past the old school copy protection.  My first PC had a weird conflict with the sound card that made the between-mission scenes all pink and yellow and nearly impossible to make out, so I'd love to replay it without that mess.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »
I've finished downloading the torrent, and I'm able to get the original game running from that, so that's a start. I'm running the installer over it now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 01:50:57 AM »
Good timing. Once your done with FS1/2 you can play this Mod. They have just released a Directors Cut of it and is as fully featured as any retail product. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68213.0

Be sure to unzip it with 7zx. Get that here http://sixtyfive.thesneaky.com/download.php?what=7zX_1.7.1.dmg

If you don't it breaks the file structure causing a hard crash when you play.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »
Wow, and they say Spring is hard to install...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
Yeah, I forgot how much of a pain in the arse it was. I did get lucky and start from the torrent file which was fully playable off the bat. It was only after that did I find out about everything else. It's to do with the retail data. The Source was made open years ago, but the retail data fell into a grey zone since it was perfectly legal to make copies of the game between friends and family as stated in the EULA. But the question was how far did that extend. So they picked some weird middle ground where they could give you almost everything but some select files which were mostly the FS2 mission/GFX/sound data. It's not too different in some ways to Open Transport Tycoon. Binary was free for all, but you had to extract or get your own GFX files.

Most of the GFX has been replaced with upgrades, but a lot of things still point to the retail stuff, so you still have to use it.

In terms of retail data playability, it's 100%. Now it's all mods, GFX updates and extra features that expand the gameplay. Like partial Newtonian physics allowing you to do a Babylon 5 Starfury/BSG overshoot turn and shoot behind your direction of travel. From what I hear FS will never truly do Newtonian.

There are still some old limits coded into the game based on the limitation of the hardware back then, but they are slowly being worked out. it's mostly revolves around how many live objects there can be at anyone time. Everything from ships, missiles, projectiles rocks, debris, turrets. Once you went over that limit things start to disappear, misfire, general mayhem.

There are probably a couple more things that might pop-up, but they are mostly nags, like Hi-Res HUDs, menus or something like that.