Author Topic: Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar  (Read 5183 times)

Offline mottsc

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »

Nyko's site didn't list it as available yet, and Gamestop said they might have it. Turns out that had one, score!

The sensor bar comes in a plastic tube that contains the bar, 4 AA batteries, and some minimal instructions. What do you need to know? You put the batteries in and turn it on. I think it's nice that they include the batteries but I'm planning on using rechargables after those die.

On the back is a switch to select the alarm to shut it off. You can select between Off, 1 hour, and 2 hours. When the alarm goes off the bar beeps until you press the power button. I suppose it would eventually turn itself off but I didn't feel like listening to it anymore after what seemed like 30 seconds. Pressing the power button when the alarm is going off resets the alarm for another alarm period.

So does it work for the extended range as advertised? Well, the room it's in is 20 feet and it worked fine to the 20 foot mark so I think their claim is probably correct. It won't make the hand rotate any more smoothly at any reasonable distance. It might work better close up, I didn't try it. The hand seems more jittery at the back of the room, but I was able to type URLs into the browser with no problems at all so it doesn't seem to be that bad.

Pros:
* Works at least 20 feet away from the bar
* Not tied to the Wii
* Comes with batteries

Cons (minor things that wouldn't stop me from getting it again):
* Turning it off requires several seconds holding down the pwoer button. Why? it's not like it takes a long time to turn on.
* The power light on the front is very bright and can be distracting
* Bigger than Nintendo's bar

If you have a projector or a large room this will work for you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 06:35:04 PM »
How long do the batteries last?

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
RE:Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:04:38 AM »
The package claims up to 30 hours of battery life, probably assuming new alkaline batteries. I've had it on for two or three so far.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 04:00:36 AM »
Have you tested this against lighting conditions? my sensor bar fails when I turn on the lamp next to the tv.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:59:53 AM »
ShyGuy what wattage and bulb type of lamp?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 06:08:39 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Have you tested this against lighting conditions? my sensor bar fails when I turn on the lamp next to the tv.

I haven't tried it under bright lights yet since I have a projector and that would wash out the image. The room has 9 halogen floods on a dimmer in the ceiling. I'll try it on full brightness when I get home this evening.

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
Ok, with the lights on full there was no problem using the sensor bar. Of course those lights aren't in front and next to the screen, they're in the ceiling.

Also I tried the sensor bar up close and it does seem to smooth the hand-pointer rotation on the Wii screens.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 08:04:44 AM »
I think I will get one of these.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 03:42:36 AM »
I picked one of these up yesterday and it works great, even with my 150w lamp turned on next to the TV. Thanks for the recommendation, mottsc!