Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76004 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« on: April 27, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »
According to IGN, this is the new name, though they didn't elaborate as of yet.

Edit:     Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents teh answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their gams... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," wehich emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

I have to get used to this.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:25:48 AM »
W.T.F.
"wow."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »
This is why I said with the DS Nintendo lost it's right to change a consoles name on its own.  Now is there another W in front of that?

Nintendo WWII:  Greatest inovation in WW:II gaming ever.

Edit: And they just cut the sales by half before they got to the gate.  This name is terrible.  Wii (Wee) is not what you want associated with you console.   I don't know whether to start complaining now or what.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:28:26 AM »
????????????????????????????????? they have to be messing with us

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 07:28:31 AM »
I dunno...I actually like it!  NINTENDO WE!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 07:31:11 AM »
A better, darker name would have been Nintendo Them, or They.  Lol.  Seriously, couldn't they call it Nintendo us?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
I thought of World War 2 immediately on seeing it (before knowing how it was pronounced). Not a good first impression.

I would prefer even a standard "We" for the spelling over Wii. That's just weird.

Revolution was perfect. It said everything they hoped to accomplish.  
"wow."

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:34:55 AM »
I kind of thought of WiFi for some reason.  I don't think I like it, but then again if it's marketed correctly, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »
Now that I though on it more I can't find one good thing about this name.

It doesn't roll of the tongue.

You can use it in thing like:

Is that some Wii on your carpet.
Wiiak
Wii because we were going to call it Wifi but had to keep it 3 letters
Oww... Nintendo Wii.

No real creative thought needed.

Theres not a manly way to say it.  In fact there is no other way to say it.
(Example, Gamecube you could just refer to it as Cube or GCN)

Terrible Terrible Name.  Nintendo Codenames are suppose to be terrible not console names.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 07:37:56 AM »
The big problem I see is it sounds like "Wee" as in... "I'm going to go play with my wee" or "Man, that new Nintendo wee console sure is childish".

The logo looks really cool though and I do like the idea of the name being short enough to not be abbreviated  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:38:07 AM »
http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Official. Nintendo Wii.

I thought Wifi as well, then I thought WWII, then I thought.. ok where's the real name? Now i'm just laughing my ass off. Nintendo just took the piss out of every single serious generic name ever.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 07:45:24 AM »
I don't mind it. Of course I would still prefer Revolution over this or any other name.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:47:27 AM »
Cool logo bad name.

I suddenly, with just a name change, had my excitement for the Rev drop immenselly.  If Nintendo can drop the ball on the name, again, then I really have no faith in the games that I am suppose to have faith are good.

Why Why Why?

Now there is this embarassing word in general to say in public the name of the console.

Just what Nintendo needs.  Another stigma.  "Mommy I want to play with the Wii?"  "Don't say those sorts of things"

Wii as in "Wii didn't think about other markets."

I went from ease of talking about the Rev to embarassment to talk abour the Wii.  Took less than 30 seconds.

The worst part of it all is I'm going to have to live with it and that the Logo is so cool.  Just the Name stinks.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 07:49:51 AM »
All I can say is... ick.  They are really going all out on the iPod/Apple design and marketing style with this one. And the first thing that came to mind were juvenille pee(nis) jokes and whatnot.  The elementary school crowd is going to have a field day with this one.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:51:07 AM »
T_T

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:02 AM »
Does anyone over the age of 10 even use the word "wee" to describe urine?  Grow up...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »
Looks like it's pronounced "Why" and that sums up my feeling exactly. Ugh.
"wow."

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »
yuck
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 07:56:52 AM »
I thought the purple Cube was bad.  Wii?

NCL here's some information regarding North American culture.

Wee means small.  Wee can be slang for penis or pee.  Wee sounds incredibly childish and immature.  THIS NAME IS F*CKING STUPID SO CHANGE IT YOU IDIOTS!

I actually think a name this stupid could affect sales.  Why don't they just call it Pu or Pook or Crahpp or Buubs while they're at it.  No one will be able to say "Nintendo Wii" without feeling like a total tool.  I think people would be embarassed to say they own a "Wii" or ask a store clerk if they can buy a "Wii" or say "hey let's go to my house and play with my Wii".  This is a complete marketing disaster.

This name is completely unsuitable for the American market and absolutely MUST be changed.  If they want to call it this in Japan, fine, but in America they should stick with Revolution.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 07:57:23 AM »
Personally, I don't care what the name is, but "Wii" is pretty bad for sales knowing the millions of insecure people out there. The word looks good in text I think, but the prounciation is where it dies. What I love about it is the fact it's the least serious name of all time, it makes me laugh and smile.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 07:58:02 AM »
I went through stages..

My first thought was that its easy to clown (by fanboys, critics, even good media outlets will make all sorts of cliched headlines with it)

but then I realized:

A) Idiot people will always make fun of Nintendo (they always have and that has never stopped me from buying and enjoying their products)

B) I hated the Gamecube's name when it came out (I and others got used to it after a while)

C) Though its completely off the wall, their reasoning is sound (no abbreviation, made for all languages, unique among videogame names..which equals my next point)

D) This will be incredibly easy to market

The slogans are obvious, even "bad" press will get the name out. It will be a conversation topic everywhere just because of its name which will spread it even moreso.

Bottom line this is quintessential Nintendo. They do what nobody would dare to try. Which is why I love them.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 07:59:11 AM »
"Does anyone over the age of 10 even use the word "wee" to describe urine? Grow up..."

"Wee can be slang for penis or pee. Wee sounds incredibly childish and immature."

OH, SUP IAN!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Does anyone over the age of 10 even use the word "wee" to describe urine?  Grow up...

I personally wouldnt care if it was called "the gayest console on earth", but this will affect them negatively, is a really stupid name, change it now before things go bad, you were doing everything so right Nintendo!.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

Does anyone over the age of 10 even use the word "wee" to describe urine? Grow up...

Well isn't that exactly the point?  Nobody over ten does say 'wee', which is why I don't want my console named after a childish, immature slang term for urination.  Revolution is by far the better name.  By. Far.  How about just Nintendo?  Damn it I really hate Wii.  F*^^!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »
"OH, SUP IAN!"

Well I personally don't use the word "wee" in my regular speech but I and everyone who can speak English knows what "wee" is.

Yes it is very immature to joke about such a name but people are insecure.  You can't just say "grow up" and make everything better.  Nintendo's whole k!ddy image is largely undeserved but it exists nonetheless and it affects Nintendo's success in North America.  A name like this SHOULDN'T matter but marketing shouldn't matter either and it does so this name does.

I think "Wii" also has a problem in that it's hard to tell how it's pronounced.  "Gamecube" at least was obvious.