Author Topic: RUMOR: 3DS and Wii U to Receive Gifting Ability, Cross-Platform Virtual Console Games  (Read 9699 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

Finally!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/33971

The Wii U and 3DS may be getting the ability to gift games to other users, as well as the ability to play Virtual Console titles on both systems, later this year. Both were hinted at in tweets from Nintendo Force magazine contributor Emily Rogers.

The ability to gift games was added to the Wii Shop Channel early in the system's life, but was curiously omitted from the 3DS and Wii U eShops up to this point. Being able to play purchased Virtual Console titles on both 3DS and Wii U is something long sought-after by fans, and would bring Nintendo into line with other game platforms.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
I've never heard of that. I knew of her through Not Enough Shaders. She's got some pretty good editorials.

So I guess some people know her for other reasons.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Ok, so despite the rabble-rousing, could someone educate the uninformed (me) and describe who Emily Rogers is in a non-derogatory way, and explain why her twitter account is a reliable source for Nintendo information?

I'm sincerely unaware, and would appreciate some education on the subject.

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
My point is that anything she says should be taken with a whole bag of salt (not just a grain).

Is she usually wrong? If so then why is NWR reporting on this?

Offline mamacitalew

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Movies!
My point is that anything she says should be taken with a whole bag of salt (not just a grain).

Is she usually wrong? If so then why is NWR reporting on this?

Because she has proven lately that she knows things about the eShop and its inner workings. Regardless of whatever she did in the past, she's been reliable for, as far as I can see, at least around a year.

I do remember her terrible rumors from 2 years ago. But that was 2 years ago. Now she's way more reliable. Still a rumor, though, as it could still turn out to be wrong.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Gifting ability was awesome. I loved our secret santa.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
That's all I need to know. If she's generally reliable with her rumors, then there's no reason to take this "with a whole bag of salt".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Gifting ability was awesome. I loved our secret santa.

That was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Ok, so despite the rabble-rousing, could someone educate the uninformed (me) and describe who Emily Rogers is in a non-derogatory way, and explain why her twitter account is a reliable source for Nintendo information?

I'm sincerely unaware, and would appreciate some education on the subject.

This. Bold for emphasis.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
pokepal, you are a troll and I dont care about your opinion.
umm... i am a troll for making a disagreement with you on something... ok then...

No, it's based on almost every post you have made.

Fjurbanski, she is sometimes right. The problem is that her accuracy is low enough that someone just predicting things could be as reliable as her. For example, here were rumors she posted about E3 2011 that ended up being false:

*She said Pikmin 3 would be playable, it wasn't
*She said over 20 Wii U titles would be playable (there werent)
*She said Smash Bros. was in development (the game did not start development until about 6 months later)
*She said Soulcalibur V would be a launch game (no Wii U version even exists)
*She said Rockstar Games was working on a Wii U game (no such game has ever been announced)

lolmonade. Emily Rogers was a Internet blogger who got Internet fame when she posted a bunch of Nintendo rumors, and claimed she slept with a guy at Nintendo to get her info. Some of the rumors came true and some didn't. Since then, she has a very SPOTTY track record and being right (see above for some of the many rumors she was wrong about just regarding E3 2011).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Legitimate criticism of the woman is fine. Argue she's not reliable, also fine. But don't make it personal and derogatory.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I wasn't being derogatory, I was stating how she got the rumors that made her name known. If she is the one who admitted to doing those activities, is that bad? It's like saying Rush Limbaugh has had a drug problem, it's factually true. To censor me TWICE for describing what she admitted to doing? To me, it's part of why she isn't reliable for rumors. How about telling me (in PM if you want) what about her I can't say, especially when I have only been truthful (nothing I have said has ben libelous).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
pokepal, you are a troll and I dont care about your opinion.
umm... i am a troll for making a disagreement with you on something... ok then...

No, it's based on almost every post you have made.

Fjurbanski, she is sometimes right. The problem is that her accuracy is low enough that someone just predicting things could be as reliable as her. For example, here were rumors she posted about E3 2011 that ended up being false:

*She said Pikmin 3 would be playable, it wasn't
*She said over 20 Wii U titles would be playable (there werent)
*She said Smash Bros. was in development (the game did not start development until about 6 months later)
*She said Soulcalibur V would be a launch game (no Wii U version even exists)
*She said Rockstar Games was working on a Wii U game (no such game has ever been announced)

lolmonade. Emily Rogers was a Internet blogger who got Internet fame when she posted a bunch of Nintendo rumors, and claimed she slept with a guy at Nintendo to get her info. Some of the rumors came true and some didn't. Since then, she has a very SPOTTY track record and being right (see above for some of the many rumors she was wrong about just regarding E3 2011).

Thanks for providing some more detail. 

I remember listening to a freakonomics podcast speaking about people who get paid to predict things, and how everyone remembers the times they we're "right", but seem to forget all the times they've been "wrong". 

Reminds me of how every time Michael Patcher speaks, every video game news outlet decides to regurgitate his commentary, even though it seems like he's rarely correct.

So while I think you could have proceeded with some more tact, I appreciate some more context as to why she could seem questionable as a source of information.

Offline mamacitalew

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Movies!
She works closely with various indie developers helping them get on the Wii U/3DS eShop. She's also known to have a good, working relationship with the eShop Mastermind Dan Adelman.

Simply put, she knows people that would know about the Wii U update and Virtual Console.

Also, all the blatantly false rumors from two years ago were all her. She colossally messed up. As far as I know, she admitted to making stuff up and has since focused on not being so full of crap.

I wouldn't call her infallible now, but she's in a position where she would know things.

Offline Fjurbanski

• View Profile
So basically. A fallible human being, who is correct enough times that she has at least some credibility, has stated that we won't be seeing anything one day from now, but instead two or three days from now.

Riveting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I found it odd that the service was going to launch on a Tuesday. While Nintendo's been known to release things on other days, I figured something like this would be on the normal Thursday. I'm guessing that's what's happening: announced tomorrow, released in Thursday's set of eShop downloads.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Remember that up until the 3DS eShop, Nintendo used to release digital games on Mondays. And the TurboGrafx-16 was first added to the VC on a Tuesday. So it would not be unheard of for it to launch tomorrow.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
As I said, they've been known to release things on different days, I'm merely arguing that it was unusual given current circumstances.

J.P. Corbran

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
If gifting 3DS/Wii U games becomes a thing, I foresee a forum goer who hates money gifting every member of RFN Funky Barn if only to have a live reaction show a' la Muscle March.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I can't believe no one is talking about the possibility of playing VC games you own across both 3DS and WiiU :Q ! That is the one thing I want most out of the new VC service. They can implement like Sony does with their PSP/Vita/PS3 games (which probably would require an account based system), or charge me a $1 per game that I own to transfer over to 3DS like they are doing with Wii to WiiU. 

Outside a very few games from the N64, I would prefer to carry and play ALL VC games on my 3DS.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
I can't believe no one is talking about the possibility of playing VC games you own across both 3DS and WiiU :Q !
Make that WiiWare and eShop games and we're talking.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I think we're not talking about it because there's too much disbelief regarding it.  We'll talk more about it if it comes true.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
We've been asking for cross-buy for years, and Nintendo never so much as acknowledged it, and now suddenly a somewhat reliable source says it's happening. I'm still kind of in shock.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I think we're not talking about it because there's too much disbelief regarding it.  We'll talk more about it if it comes true.

Yeah, pretty much. Nintendo has been so adamant in keeping their various consoles and handhelds separate that I'm extremely skeptical of any rumor that Nintendo's suddenly not only bringing them together but also not taking an easy opportunity to make you buy a game twice for 2 different platforms (see: Nintendo charging you to play your Wii Virtual Console games outside Wii Mode on the Wii U).  Until Nintendo formally announces such a service, I don't see the point in discussing a rumor that runs contrary to everything Nintendo has built their business around.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Cross-buy needs to happen. Perhaps... just perhaps the reason it hasn't happened yet (besides Nintendo's stubbornness) is a matter of horsepower and circumstance? Maybe the DS didn't have it under the hood to run everything (esp. N64) as is, and adding it to the Wii to 3DS would be pointless, as they'd given up on Wii? Just a thought, and N is probably just stubborn as usual. Just something that popped in my head just now.