Author Topic: What do YOU do to get your NES (and games) working?  (Read 3728 times)

What do YOU do to get your NES (and games) working?
« on: May 06, 2003, 06:50:40 PM »
For all those that still have their NES system or had one (for shame, selling it)!

My NES system is officially an alcoholic -- with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol I wipe down the copper parts of the NES game that I want to play (the part that connects to the NES).  Once I do that I'm set to go -- just throw the game in and play! Very rarely will blowing on the cartridges work for my NES system.  It has a problem... I tried getting it to go to an AA meeting, but it threatened to stop working if I made it go...

So what do you all do??

EDIT: Actually, this question can apply to just about every old-school cartridge-based system that was ever made, so if you didn't own an NES but a Genesis, you are welcome to answer the question too!  
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 06:56:22 PM »
Rubbing alcohol all the way.  And i also have to put another cartridge above the one we want to play to hold it in place.  If not, it won't stay down.  Don't bump the NES!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 07:04:18 PM »
This is easy, use the replace the cart connector with the one from a game gennie, (you have to put it in the back upside down though, it worked on my 18 year old NES for 8 years now.)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 07:20:02 PM »
I just blow on them for a while... then pack them gently into the console, being careful not to bump it.  I play with it until it works, then when it works, I back away... slowly... and start playing until it freezes.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: What do YOU do to get your NES (and games) working?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 07:21:10 PM »
Hitting the side of the NES works for me most of the times (seriously)
When it does it's little flashing screen/flashing power button, hit the side of it, and the title screen will pop up.

Doesn't always work though.

And for those of you with a SNES, if it has trouble playing a game, wedge a folded bit of paper into the cartridge slot in front of the cartridge. Works everytime.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 07:18:55 PM »
quote GreyNinja:
I just blow on them for a while... then pack them gently into the console, being careful not to bump it. I play with it until it works, then when it works, I back away... slowly... and start playing until it freezes.  
---------------------------
that's hilarious man!  I've done the same exact thing, word for word hahhaaaha...
anyway but i went to my friends house recently and he was playing the nes and he was using qtips with rubbin alcohol and it worked every time....
but greyninjas way is the funniest

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 07:24:26 PM »
heh.  Glad you like it.  The certified lazy-man's method.

I did get a cleaning kit once, and it helped for a while, but nothing beats the good old practiced technique.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 01:58:40 AM »
I cracked mine open, took a screwdriver and bent the little pins in a little so they hold the cart better, pop the cart in, slide it to the left, push power and enjoy.  I found the trick somewhere on the internet about 2 years ago.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 04:10:25 AM »
I just jam my piece in and out, in and out of the slot a couple of times and shes good to go. Dosing her up with alcohol also does wonders.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 07:16:30 PM »
oohhboy, that doesn't sound right

Usually I'll just use one of those compressed-air cans and clean out the insides of the NES whenever a game isn't loading properly. I'm sure rubbing alcohol would work too, but wouldn't that corrode the metal conductor strips after a while?
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 06:22:23 AM »

Originally posted by: rodtod
I'm sure rubbing alcohol would work too, but wouldn't that corrode the metal conductor strips after a while?

Actually, rodtod, you're right... the metal strips would ultimately corrode after a time if the usage of rubbing alcohol persists... I guess I could smack my system around until it gets the message across that alcohol is bad, but I doubt it'll break it's habit.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2003, 05:22:33 AM »
It is the water in the alcohol that is causing it to corrode. Pure alcohol would be no problem. You are using the alcohol as a solvent to dissovle the comtainments. But regardless of all that, it is going to corrode by itself from the moisture in the air unless the connectors were made of gold, but that presents another set of problems. Storing it in a cool dry place will help make your NES last longer.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?