Author Topic: 3DS XL Mobility Question  (Read 6023 times)

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
3DS XL Mobility Question
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
Hey everyone,

From the FAQ that NWR posted, the 3DS XL will be around 1.5X the volume of the 3DS.  That's a decent increase, but the L x W x D dimensions don't actually seem awful.  However, these dimensions might be just at the point of making a portable system not so portable.  3DS portability is critical for me ... partly because I'm addicted to Street Passing, and partly because I do like to game on the go (lots of work travel, etc.).

Are there any DSi XL owners out there that can comment on this?

Also, can any DSi XL owners comment on the resolution situation (is it noticeable to have a larger screen with the same resolution ... in a bad way)?

Thanks, all!

EJtheK

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS XL Mobility Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
I don't own a DSi XL but have used one.

Personally, I find the extra size of DSi XL model makes it too big for me to conveniently carry.  The current 3DS size is already slightly bigger than I prefer for a portable system (having been spoiled by the absolutely tiny Game Boy Advance Micro) but good enough since it still fits into my pocket.

The increased screen on the DSi XL is impressive. Games still look good despite being blown up slightly, and I imagine that 3DS XL will look much better due to improved screen resolution.

So for me the trade-off of screen size for portability isn't worthwhile without some other incentive or improvement, due to my personal habits and a desire to take my 3DS with me everywhere I go.  Other people who don't feel the need to always have their games available, who want a better viewing area for video or games, or who carry a bag or just have bigger pockets might easily find this revision worthwhile.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
The increased screen on the DSi XL is impressive. Games still look good despite being blown up slightly, and I imagine that 3DS XL will look much better due to improved screen resolution.

Or because of the increase or graphics and resolution, the blown up image is worse.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:48:01 AM »
The DSi XL is too top heavy for my liking.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
I have the DSiXL and before the 3DS released, I used to carry it with me all the time hoping for some kind of tag, which never happened. There is a HUGE difference between carrying a DSiXL and a 3DS. The XL will fit in your pocket...barely, and can make it uncomfortable when you sit down. I normally wear cargo pants/shorts so I used to slip it into the one of the side pockets. Even then it's noticeable as it bangs your leg.

For me, the bigger screens outweighed the negatives of it being harder to carry around. I plan to buy the 3DSXL day one, and will carry it with me everyday, despite the thing taking up my whole pocket.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
I have a question, though it isn't about mobility.  Is the top screen in the 3dsxl sunk into the top flap as to negate contact with the border of the bottom screen (which have been the cause of the scratching incidents on the top screen)?  I notice from the pics that the bottom screen still had that elevated border.  The top screen seems to have a black border but I'm not sure if that means the screen is sunk in or not. 

I really hope this issue has been addressed as those scratch smudges are a pain. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:12:08 PM by Mannypon »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
The top screen has spacers to the sides of the camera to help with that, but we won't know for sure how well they work until the system launches.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, I never even noticed those spacers.  I would imagine Nintendo has tested it out be confident in assuming that the situation has been resolved.  I don't see how the screens will be touching now that spacers have been put in place.  I'm actually contemplating upgrading from my 3ds to this xl now but I'll still wait until I can get my hands on it and see what I think first hand.  I remember looking at the ds xl and thinking it was just massive so I don't know if can wrap my head around a monstrous portable lol. 

Animal Crossing 3ds might change my mind though, I'd love to play that on a bigger screen. 

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone!  Like many of you, I'm just going to have to see how this thing feels when I get my hands on it somewhere!

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone!  Like many of you, I'm just going to have to see how this thing feels when I get my hands on it somewhere!

Yea mate, it IS the "XL" after all, and brings some nice strengths...but portability will not be one of them. This is the beauty of having a range of products. There are sure to be many gamers that value the smaller form factor or even simply prefer the aesthetics of the OG 3DS.

About the image quality on those large screens, take heart:
http://kotaku.com/5921563/first-3ds-xl-hands+on-previews-report-improved-3d-clear-graphics

You can visit the link, but the article title sounds promising :)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
For easy transportation, strap it to your chest with duct tape. It will be an awesome reveal when your sitting in the lounge waiting to get your tires rotated and you whip it out and start watching Netflix.

edit: It doesn't look that big in this article: http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:00:33 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
edit: It doesn't look that big in this article: http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121

You're right.  It really doesn't look terrible.  Definitely bigger though.  My speculation goes back and forth.  Here's another interesting link: [size=78%]http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/3ds_xl_comparison_gallery[/size]

Sometimes it looks huge to me.  Other times, it doesn't look so bad.  That's part of the reason I was interested in how DSi XL owners feel about it.  This is going to come down to feeling it for me.

About the image quality on those large screens, take heart:
http://kotaku.com/5921563/first-3ds-xl-hands+on-previews-report-improved-3d-clear-graphics

You can visit the link, but the article title sounds promising :)

It does look nice.  I really does...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
It's bigger, but nothing your cargo shorts won't be able to handle. If you wear tight jeans often then you may have an issue, but it's not that big.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
i am exactly in the same boat.  Seeing games in 3D on the bigger screen is a huge plus for me, but I bring my 3DS absolutely everywhere.  I wonder if a clerk at Gamestop will let me handle a DSiXL so I can see how pocketable it feels.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
Yeah, this is also a tough choice for me.  I've got a little belt-clip holder for my 3DS, so I carry it around with me everywhere and can pull it out very easily.   With the 3DS and the XL, it's basically just the difference between pulling it off my hip holster and pulling it out of my bag.   Tiny difference, but it really affects which one I'll take out.  Which makes me want to keep my 3DS, but then, I like that bigger screen.  A lot.

But the XL is really not pocketable, not on a regular basis, so unless you're going to wear cargo pants every single day, I would not bank on that.   But with the current 3DS, remember that its footprint is the same size (and in some cases, smaller) than most Android smartphones, especially some of those HTC ones.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »
If Nintendo had rolled out their user based license account system sooner and allowed you to move games back and forth between both systems, this would be an easy buy for me. For the first time, a bigger DS is actually appealing to me.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."