Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 90628 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Vudu: I don't see it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
Mostly just in the colors and the circular pattern with the section cut out.  Purely coincidental.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Vudu: I don't see it.

You're welcome! I mean thanks! I got proper album art for my ipod and don't have to use that placeholder art...

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
NEW SONG!

So I decided to stop having people rap over my beats. People just don't get it. It's not about the money...the money and the cars, and the clothes...and the hoes...I suppose...

This new song I could use some help with. I had this melody stuck in my head all day. I had to come home and put it down. But this is the first song I want to actually put lyrics to and see if I'm qualified and not in a sarcastic way.

So does the main melody get annoying? Do the drums need more kick? Does there need to be more variation between structure? What about the chords? Should they move up or down in pitch?

Any help would be appreciated. Mind you, I'm not going to have a chorus and if I do, its only going to happen once. So basically its a good 2 minutes and 40 seconds of straight flow.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
lol im trying to put words to it, thinking about it I think maybe this melody doesn't need rapping over it, singing would be more appropriate, like something coldplay-esque, or usher-esque
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:21 AM »
I was thinking I would rap pretty quick over it with some sentences that don't rhyme but have rhythmic value...if that makes sense.

But its funny that you mention coldplay because in my head, the melody was played by a guitar. But my guitar samples suck so I switched it to a more electronica version.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:55:31 AM by Dante "Blazin' The Amazin" Person of African Persuasion »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »
I liked the beat, especially the part where it breaks down. Something about the timing seemed a little off, but if you flow kinda fast to it, it's not a problem. I wish I could record or remember what I had just freestyled to it though, it seemed to fit pretty well.

Maybe I'll play it again later and try to write something down.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 04:45:22 AM »
A much better, FULLER, version is up.

Something was weird with my last version. It really felt empty, but I thought lyrics would fill the gap so I recorded maybe a minute freestyle, but it still felt empty. So I proceeded to add some instruments.

Let me know what you guys think of this version.

Track

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »
You didn't post the freestyle that goes with it.

I think my last statement cover the beat still. The timing that certain beats hit encourage a faster and and more stylized flow. I honestly like it. Do you have them all in one place online so that I could show them to my boys cousin next time I run into him. He's part of a rap group that;s been together for about 7-8 years now and maybe they would like to work with some of your beats.

Do you sell or lease them or whatever?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
Yeah I didn't post the freestyle because it was....simply to see how lyrics would fit on top of the beat. Though I will say it helped me decide the theme of the rap. I'm going with something like this:

"I don't want you to play this up in club
I don't want you to play this while you're making love
I don't want you to play this on the radio station
I don't want you to play this for a sense of elation"

And so on and so forth till I switch it up and say

"But don't you want to play this when you're about to smash
And don't you want to play this when you're getting ass"

I think something like that would be pretty cool. It wouldn't all be like that though. Sometimes I'd break away from the formula just to do or say something interesting, but I'd come right back to it afterward.

And the site I linked you to will soon have an albums worth of tracks. I'll let you know as soon as I put it up.

Also I haven't sold or leased any of my beats, but people have asked if I do.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
i tried checkin the link and the site doesn't seem to be working right.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »
Hmmm....weird. I had just accessed it last night.

I'll let you know when the sites back up.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
thanks for letting me know its back up. i checked it out real quick and all i can say is;

It sounds like something out of Donkey Kong Country 2, and remixed.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
lol obviously you weren't diggin' the synth. No worries.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2010, 03:39:56 PM »
actually, i was. DKC2 has awesome music, which i was comparing your latest track to. It wasn't a comment on the quality of the samples used.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
Oh aight. Well do you have any critiques?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
I'll have to give it a second listen and right now isn't the best time. I'll PM you when i get around to it.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
I play electric piano for a songwriter friend of mine, and help co-write some of her tunes, and we just got our album finished up and online. It's fairly lo-fi pop/alt-country/folk music for the most part, so if any of you are into that, take a listen! Here are a couple of the tunes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878328/07%20Question%20Marks.m4a

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878328/03%20Wake.m4a
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
I play electric piano for a songwriter friend of mine, and help co-write some of her tunes, and we just got our album finished up and online. It's fairly lo-fi pop/alt-country/folk music for the most part, so if any of you are into that, take a listen! Here are a couple of the tunes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878328/07%20Question%20Marks.m4a

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878328/03%20Wake.m4a

Considering I've been digging acts like Rilo Kiley, Florence + The Machine & Reni Lane lately.. I'm digging this!

ps. who the hell is grant?!

edit: I'm REALLY digging it. Where can I exchange some $ for the album?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:01:36 PM by EasyCure »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
If you want to give us a further look, you can get us at iTunes or Amazon, search Margo May, the album is called Summerof. If you do get it, download this album art, the album art that's on the stores is messed up at the moment: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878328/Summerof/cover.jpg

P.S. I'm the new, fairly inactive guy :) I'll be on the next NWR Newscast podcast, so you'll hear my lovely voice then (and you'll know why I didn't do any backup vocals on this album.)

edit: Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:45:22 PM by NWR_Grant »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »
If you want to give us a further look, you can get us at iTunes or Amazon, search Margo May, the album is called Summerof. If you do get it, download this album art, the album art that's on the stores is messed up at the moment: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/878328/cover-2.jpg

P.S. I'm the new, fairly inactive guy :) I'll be on the next NWR Newscast podcast, so you'll hear my lovely voice then (and you'll know why I didn't do any backup vocals on this album.)

edit: Thanks!

No, thank you! I'll definately check out the album!!

And let me apologize by saying; I don't listen to the podcast. Also, let me apologize in advance if in a week or so I see you post somewhere and repeat "who the hell is Grant" (i have a crappy memory according to the funhouse).

Edit: After seeing the artwork; If thats the vocalist on the cover, I feel that as your new biggest fan I should be hooked up with a phone number ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:38:58 PM by EasyCure »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Hmmm... buy 5 more copies and we'll talk.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
Dude that is pretty damn good! No seriously, I'm not usually into this type of music but it's really good. You guys know exactly what you want to sound like.

Reminds me of the Sealab 2021 theme

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »
What a coincidence, I just got season 1 of that on DVD.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
Hmmm... buy 5 more copies and we'll talk.

Before I drop the money, supply me with general location of said vocalist, THEN we'll talk. If she's more than 2 states away; no dice :P