Author Topic: Why visit NWR?  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why visit NWR?
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
With the recent hullabaloo over reviews, I got to wondering why if so many people are angry they visit.

I mainly visit for the forums, but I also greatly enjoy the mailbags. I usually read the reviews but I must admit I usually just look at the highs and lows on Gamerankings when considering a purchase. I never listen to podcasts because, well, they're basically chat shows with nothing to look at and who needs that?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Why visit NWR?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
Do not besmirch the podcasts! They are good.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
The forums, definitely the forums. A large part of why I keep coming back is for BlackNMild's sales figures that he keeps up-to-date here.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:56:19 PM »
The forums, Podcasts, reviews, pretty much everything. Like my women, I judge things by the overall package.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Why visit NWR?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »
Come for the waffles, stay for the Funhouse.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:10:40 PM »
I visit NWR out of a twisted sense of loyalty to Louie the Cat.

What's that? Louie got fired?

Let's blow this popsicle stand!

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:10:18 AM »
Because its a mature nintendo site,

The artical here seem to atleast understand how the gaming industry works and know the history on nintendo
sadly most oversites, and now filled with editors and stroy writters, who just lift storys and added comments which have no baises

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 06:25:38 AM »
I come to keep Arbok up-to-date in the sales figures of all these video game consoles.
Oh, and the forums.... they aren't as active as they used to be, but I still call them home.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
I visit for the True ads.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »
I have to agree with this thread.  I come here for the Forums because they're home and the full press releases.  Though I have to say I've been disappointed by the other content as of late.

Their has been no exclusives, the reviews keep becoming more and more untimely, and the news is always a little lagging as of late.  I thought that when the staff was shuffled and streamlined one of the goals was for more content.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I have to agree with this thread.  I come here for the Forums because they're home and the full press releases.  Though I have to say I've been disappointed by the other content as of late.

Their has been no exclusives, the reviews keep becoming more and more untimely, and the news is always a little lagging as of late.  I thought that when the staff was shuffled and streamlined one of the goals was for more content.

I have to admit I rarely ever look at the front page. The new is always days late and it's usually just whatever the press releases were the previous day. I can understand not wanting to become a gossip site and wanting to be professional, but the amount of news is always really low.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
I visit exclusively for the forums.  I occasionally look at news articles (occasionally I'll skim through a review of a game I'm interested in and I like reading interviews and such), but for the most part the main site doesn't hold much interest for me.  The forums are top-notch, though; well-moderated, and full of interesting (and intelligent) folks.  One of the few decent ones I've ever found, especially pertaining to gaming.  And it's maintained this quality since the early days of PGC.
But I rely on the opinions of people I know (offline and online) and my own intuition for game purchases.  I never trust reviewers, no matter who they are or what site they represent.  I think reviewing (be it movie, game, or whatever) is fundamentally flawed, and hate it.  So I'll use NWR for news snippets, mostly, and interviews.  All of my media I get via IGN, but that's all I use them for.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »
I use the front page as an extension of the forums... and often go there first just becasue it's easier to type the name out instead of all the forum extensions stuff.

And yes... I have absolutely NO IDEA where to find smarter, more rational, more sensible and intelligent forumgoers than here.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:54:50 PM »
there's a front page o_O

I forgot all about that....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 03:04:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I use the front page as an extension of the forums... and often go there first just becasue it's easier to type the name out instead of all the forum extensions stuff.
You could just type out nintendoworldwiiport.com.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
lol.  When did you do that?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 01:34:22 PM »
I didn't; Pale did.  I believe it was shortly after NWR was first announced.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
Because its a mature nintendo site,

I think this is one of the major reasons we have been around for so long and attract the audience that we do.  There really aren't many other Nintendo-centric media outlets of ANY kind, including online, that cater to the "mature" audience that we do.  By mature, I mean most of our readers are probably 15 and up.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 02:29:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
most of our readers are probably 15 and up.
I vote we have a forum poll to test this theory.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:26 PM »
I believe that I reach my current mental age at approximately 14... so that's the age I'm going to vote.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 12:29:30 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
most of our readers are probably 15 and up.
I vote we have a forum poll to test this theory.

But... But... :: looks at the Pokemon threads ::

15???  I think Pokemon has made that number 9 .... maybe lower.

Edit:  In the end it's kind of a catch 22... Jonnyboy notes that they want to appeal to the older group, but the number of page hits all these pokemon newbs are bringing in probably helps pay the bills so...