Author Topic: Downloadable Game List (Unconfirmed)  (Read 21304 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Downloadable Game List (Unconfirmed)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 06:09:53 AM »
And I'm inclined to agree... someone just looked up all the first-second party games and put them all on the list. Could be reasonable even if its not an official list, but I would hope we'd get more third party stuff like old Capcom, Square, and Enix titles.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 06:20:23 AM »
breath of fire 1&2 would be good to see as a rev download, esp since no.3 is getting ported to psp

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 06:31:27 AM »
Ok, since people seem to have missed my response and no one is actually reading the full topic, that list was made up by the user who posted it, Myahon, after he looked over a list of Nintendo published games and after hearing Famitsu was speculating if Nintendo's 221 published games might be downloadable (Famitsu was counting GCN, for some reason, as well, which this list doesn't).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 06:34:35 AM »
Making Cube games downloadable doesn't make a lot of sense, but didn't they say something at E3 about Mario Sunshine? Or were they just speaking in terms of backwards compatibility then?  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 09:46:16 AM »
Wow, no one has posted this yet???  Maybe i'm just blind..

http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2722430

Looky looky... square is apparently on board.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »
Pale:

Good find.  It should be obvious though what company wouldn't be onboard for kind of service.  Basically they can sell old games for like 1-5 dollars with no packaging costs or really any additional fees and make tons of money.  If you look at the market from just Japan or just America it doesn't seem like a big market, but when you view the entire world then you will make money.  

IF companies find out they make enough money to put translators on key games we may even get games that were never released in America or other locations available.

This really is a much bigger deal, and this alone will help save Nintendo no matter when they release.  And in the future all Nintendo has to do is keep the new systems backwards compatiable and keep SD card support.  Nintendo is really creating something quite special here.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 01:12:50 PM »
This list is not even complete, on the Super Nes a few games are skipped including my beloved BattleClash, but its sequel is there. I look on this anouncment as well as all the other rumors regarding the classic download service to be taken with a large grain of salt.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
Its already been confirmed that all the list at the top of this thread is, is a semi-complete list of first party published games by Nintendo.  Its basically someone's educated guess and nothing more.  The scans I linked to are supposedly right out of famitsu.  If only I could read Japanese.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Garnia

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
  I'm happy with the list, but where's the Mystical Ninja games and that quirky puzzle game for the nes (don't remember it's name lol) where you push ice blocks around courses and climb up beanstalks until you have to fight big bosses high up in the in clouds? If anyone remembers the name of that game by the way would you post it lol! There's like four different worlds in it "Vegetable, fruit, toy and something else lol! I loved that game!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Downloadable Game List (Unconfirmed)
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2005, 02:23:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
"17. Duck Hunt"

Someone tell me how that is possible? Unless the Rev controller has an infra-red gun (I forgot what Nintendo called their own gun) gimmick I don't see this happening.
If they were to use gyros in the next controller..................  

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2005, 02:41:14 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Originally posted by: Caliban
"17. Duck Hunt"

Someone tell me how that is possible? Unless the Rev controller has an infra-red gun (I forgot what Nintendo called their own gun) gimmick I don't see this happening.

If they were to use gyros in the next controller..................

I'm now happy. Thank you.

I may now be able to replay some of my favorite games  without having to by a lot of other accesories.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »
Final Fantasy is being included in the list because, surprisingly, the first FF was published by Nintendo, it doesnt mean Square is on board... yet, but I seriously dont see why they wouldnt lend their games, is like free money.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2005, 06:22:34 PM »
BlackNMild2k1:
Yeah it will work, geez how could I have forgotten that Nintendo said that the Rev controller would be able to play all games. I still think the gyro method wouldn't work properly though but that's not saying much since I haven't even tried it yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »
If the older system games are infact gonna be emulated through software, couldn't they just make it so that the emulator puts a cursor on the screen that way you know where you are aiming for all the light gun games?  even different color for multiple players?

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »
I don't think Nintendo ever made two player light-gun games, unless you count controlling the duck in Duck Hunt.

Now Konami made Lethal Enforcer for the SNES and that had two players, but you had to use guns made for the games as opposed to the Super Scope.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 12:41:24 AM »
I think they could make iy playable with a control (duck hunt)
much like fly squater game which was emulated on wario ware

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2005, 04:21:34 AM »
Did anyone even look at the Famitsu scans I linked to?

sheesh.
---------------------

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2005, 04:31:21 AM »
I can't read Japanese so I don't have any clue whats being said. All I know is that Nintendo themselves have not confirmed much of anything so I assume it is just speculation on Famitsu's part.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2005, 05:13:52 AM »
I can't read it either... BUT, it is obviously showing Final Fantasy V in one of the pictures.  According to other things I've read it gives a breakdown as to how many first party versus third party games will be available at launch.  The numbers people are saying is somewhere around 72 first party titles and 150 third party titles.

Also, these are supposedly scans from Famitsu... which is a very VERY reputable magazine in Japan.  Unless someone is lying about the whole thing (which I doubt) they are most likely true.

The oddity in one semi-translation I've read is that it says something like 40 gamecube games will be downloadable.  Most people are saying thats a mistranslation.  They also show both SSB:M and FF:CC screens.  Some think it means they will be downloadable.  Others (myself included) think they are just there because those are the two games that were 'announced' at e3.

I think I should have made a new thread for this, but whatever.
---------------------

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2005, 07:30:42 AM »
I am predicting Nintendo won't release all their first party games all at once.

They will want to save some games for special promotions.

They will not want to flood the market with too many games to purchase all at once.

They will want to allow 3rd party games to shine.  Even with older games, flooding the market will prevent the 3rd party games from selling.

Finally, a smaller game list means less server space.  I predict Nintendo is going to sell these games cheaply, and use the profit to afford to the gamers free online gaming.  Its really a win/win situation...and the only way to make a profit with online gaming.

Nintendo could also charge 25 cents for each 3rd party download for server space and such...making even more money for online gaming.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »
Yes, incremental releases would make more sense in my opinion too.  It would also create a higher chance of Nintendo actually translating Jp only games (though the chance is still very small) because it won't be something that they create at launch and then forget about.

On the other hand though, incremental releases prevents them from using the gigantic library as "The biggest launch lineup in history."
---------------------

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
"On the other hand though, incremental releases prevents them from using the gigantic library as 'The biggest launch lineup in history.'"

Yeah, I think having tons of variety at launch would be more important.  This feature will only encourage people to buy a Rev if there are specific games they want to download available.  No one wants to buy a Rev and then find out that there are no games they want to download.  Plus knowing Nintendo they would start with the really well known games like Mario and Zelda... which most people already own anyway.  I think one of the most important issues for this to take off is that obscure games are available that people more or less have to use the download service to get.  Games like Stunt Race FX or Kid Icarus, that have haven't been ported to other Nintendo consoles, are what are really going to make this feature worthwhile.  No one is going to buy a Rev to download Super Mario Bros.

And realistically I think the games are going to be incremented anyway beyond Nintendo's control.  We don't have a list of third parties on board yet.  So far all we know is that we're getting Nintendo and Square.  So realistically some third parties may not be on board yet but will be later thus incrementing the games available.

Edit: I just thought of a neat idea.  One problem with this download service is that the NES and SNES had a lot of arcade ports and most of the time they were not the definitive version of the game.  For example Final Fight on the SNES was only one player and Donkey Kong on the NES was missing a screen.  A lot of four player games were limited to two player because the multitap wasn't that popular.  So this increment suggestion made me think of something companies could do.  They could release the barebones version at launch and then make special editions later that "fix" mistakes.  So Capcom gives you a straight SNES port of Final Fight at launch and then fixes the slowdown, adds a second player, puts Guy back in, puts in the missing level, and removes the censorship and then releases a special edition later on.  Of course givng third parties the ability to "double dip" downloads has tons of room for abuse but I think it would nice for us to get accurate arcade ports.  If Final Fight costs only $1 to download are you really going to care if a director's cut comes out a few years later?

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »
Well, the games will carry a fee.  I just hope it's like a quarter for NES games or something reasonable.

It's an IGN link, so beware: DS Nes

"Regarding the system's backwards compatibility features, Iwata refered to this part of the Revolution as a "Virtual Console." From a technical standpoint, all NES, Super NES and N64 games can work with the system, although it's unclear if every game in Nintendo's tremendous back catalogue will be available.

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games."

That's a quote from it.

Also the games will be able to be downloaded to the Revolution AND to the SD memory card.  I think they got a hint from the PSP about this.  This will also be used for DEMOS and firmware patches.

There will be no hard drive because of how tiny the system is.  So it's not a total loss.  512 MB isn't  that small anyways.  Especially for oldie games.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
I still want to know how Nintendo plans on preventing people from sticking their SD card into their computer and making their games and saves available to the world.
---------------------

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »
"Iwata didn't elaborate, but did state that copy protection is in place (so don't expect to simply send downloaded game copies to your friends by e-mail)."

Does that answer your question Pale?  Sure it'll evenutally be cracked, but it's still in place though.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]