Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......  (Read 6495 times)

Offline notic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »
How do you think multiplayer will turn out? It's hard to see how Retro will pull it off. But then again they made Metroid first person while being extremely fun.  
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 09:37:23 AM »
My guess is its going to be kinda like Metroid Prime hunters on the DS so kinda like a death match with  morph ball and standard metroid weapons and such.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »
Does anyone else think that multiplayer Metroid is completely pointless and unnecessary?  I think that unless they can do something that suits the style of the game - adventuring, upgrading, solving puzzles, etc - a multiplayer mode is a dumb idea.  I just don't see any need for another deathmatch - there are already far too many FPS deathmatch games. Maybe if it was something along the lines of Four Swords, I'd be more interested - maybe.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:21:34 AM »
THey did say that the multiplayer is alomst totally detatched from the main quest so i have no problems with it.

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 01:07:22 PM »
Just imagine how cool it would be looking for extra energy tanks and beam upgrades to fight your opponents. I think a lot of people asked for multiplayer and Retro listens to its fans at least.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 02:45:02 PM »
I don't think it's because Retro Studios listened to the fans.  I believed they mentioned that they planned on implementing mutiplayer for the first Prime, but didn't have the time to.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »
Thing is deathmatch is cool.  But its really cool if its online.  Now with no online you just kind of don't care.  The controls aren't really FPS quality and when you lock on its like Link vs Link.  Who will let their guard down first?  It will probably be much worse than a deathmatch of the worse FPS ever.

I see it working if you can create your own worlds and have a dungeon master.  Of coure play it like Four Swords.

www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline bonestormer

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 08:22:38 PM »
I really think Metroid should of stayed a single player experience, but whatever. As long as the main game doesn't suffer as a result. Let them eat cake, err add that mode.

BUT like hinted at above, I don't get how it will work? Prime doesn't have "normal" FPS controls unfortuently. It's based on a 'lock-on' system. How much fun can deathmatch be when you can lock onto someone and kill them without even trying? Well.... we'll see I guess.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 08:22:52 PM »
No multiplayer was a complaint about MP1, so they addressed this.  I see no point in it, but I do like it when companies listen to fans.

"BUT like hinted at above, I don't get how it will work? Prime doesn't have "normal" FPS controls unfortuently. It's based on a 'lock-on' system. How much fun can deathmatch be when you can lock onto someone and kill them without even trying? Well.... we'll see I guess. "

Thing is, all of the weapons in metroid are delayed, you can do the dodge move, so there is still skill involved, just as much as when you fight a boss.  I doubt Retro will let this out with a problem like that dogging it down.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »
In most PC FPSes, the aim of your opponent is almost always spot on so your job is to dodge the stuff he throws at you. Though I think P.N.03 would be much more fun than MP in multiplayer...

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 11:23:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Uglydot
No multiplayer was a complaint about MP1, so they addressed this.  I see no point in it, but I do like it when companies listen to fans.

No, it was not because fans complained.

GC Bloodworth: With the multiplayer, that’s a new thing for the Metroid series entirely. What led to the decision to do that? Was it a natural thing with what people are used to with first-person games or do you have some other creative ideas that you wanted to add to that?

Tanabe: You know actually, we wanted to have a multiplayer mode in the first Metroid Prime. However, we just didn’t have the time to do something that would be of sufficient quality. So our plan right from the beginning of Metroid Prime 2 was definitely to include a multiplayer factor. We also thought that’s something the fans wanted. That’s something we wanted to do as well.

Linkety-link-link
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 02:40:35 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
Does anyone else think that multiplayer Metroid is completely pointless and unnecessary?  I think that unless they can do something that suits the style of the game - adventuring, upgrading, solving puzzles, etc - a multiplayer mode is a dumb idea.  I just don't see any need for another deathmatch - there are already far too many FPS deathmatch games. Maybe if it was something along the lines of Four Swords, I'd be more interested - maybe.

Don't play the deathmatch mode, then. It's that simple. Deathmatch is just a nice add-on for those who are bored of single player, it's not a massive crucial part of Metroid Prime 2. I always welcome a multi-player mode to any game, it's something else to bust out at multi-player nights.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 04:17:08 AM »
Don't forget, Goldeneye 007's multiplayer was an after thought
OUT OF DATE.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 05:09:36 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1

Note that I am unaware of any other such "FPS deathmatch games" that there are "too many" of on GCN.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 05:37:50 AM »
In a way it could be like Conker's Bad Fur Day.  There were a lot of things in multiplayer mode that was so damn awesome.  Even for Banjo-Tooie.  You could play FPS multiplayer in that game.  Both these games had multiplayer games that weren't in single player mode.

So for MP2 we could feel a control more like Timesplitters 2 in multiplayer mode but a different one for single player mode.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 07:56:23 AM »
I hope they make an assault-style Hunters vs Pirates mode, where the Hunters have to complete some kind of task and need to find certain items on the way while the Pirates have to stop them. Perhaps even allow for sequence breaking. The chances are bad, though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 08:24:30 AM »
I figure the multiplayer is going to suck and then all the idiots who said Metroid Prime sucked because it didn't have multiplayer are going to say Metroid Prime 2 sucks because of the multiplayer.  That doesn't matter to me since I'm just interested in the single player.  Metroid isn't an FPS and if you want it to play like an FPS you aren't a Metroid fan and thus your opinion is worthless.  I don't care if there is or isn't a multiplayer or if the multiplayer is good or bad just as long as it's inclusion doesn't wang the single player.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 08:32:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Draygaia
Thing is deathmatch is cool.  But its really cool if its online.  Now with no online you just kind of don't care.  The controls aren't really FPS quality and when you lock on its like Link vs Link.  Who will let their guard down first?  It will probably be much worse than a deathmatch of the worse FPS ever.

I think i read somewhere that if you go into morph ball mode, you cant be locked onto. I thought that was a good idea, adding the whole "Do i want to be able to shoot someone but also get shot? or should I make it hard to hit me, but also very hard to hit someone else?". I'm not sure if this is true though, don't remember where i read it.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 10:28:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Metroid isn't an FPS and if you want it to play like an FPS you aren't a Metroid fan and thus your opinion is worthless.  

Ouch. Harsh, but I agree 100%. The fact that they are spending any production time at all on a multiplayer mode just makes me sad. That time could be spent perfecting single player mode...although I really don't anticipate disappointment from Echoes.

has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 10:37:17 AM »
I know it isn't an FPS its just hard to think of what way the multiplayer could go other than being like an FPS.  But I'm always fine with silly fun multiplayer games too.  

Offline Qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 12:05:40 PM »
As long as we dont end up with things like four swords, where it requires four poeple to play, then I'm fine.
that just plain JEWISH!!!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 12:13:54 PM »
The morph ball breaks any lock ons, so that is in effect, the dodge manuver.  Sounds like it could be fun.  Add in the morph ball cannons, spider ball and bombs, and it should be crazy.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 02:08:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Qwerty
As long as we dont end up with things like four swords, where it requires four poeple to play, then I'm fine.

I don't recall Four Swords ever needing four players...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 04:49:31 PM »
I have heard Retro Studios is trying to make this twice as good as MP, not to mention twice as long. If that is true, then this game JUST might beat out OoT as my favorite game of all-time.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 05:35:46 PM »
Where did you hear that?