Author Topic: Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"  (Read 5074 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"
« on: July 21, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »
Well it's finally happened...  Another developer has incorporated the 'water cannon' idea used in Super Mario Sunshine for their own game.  The game is called Milo and the Rainbow Nasties and appears it will be released on all 3 consoles.  It involves using a chameleon to squirt colors back onto the world that previously had become completely black and white.  The game includes the abilities to mix and match colors to create more colors, ala the color spectrum.  It was just announced the other day and is currently previewed on Gamespot, as well as movies of the game in action.  Milo & The Rainbow Nasties

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
RE: Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:59:44 AM »
I don't think thats copying or stealing.  The idea of returning colors to something black and white is pretty old.  Now if the character had a watercannon then yeah I would accept that as copying.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:02:32 AM »
I think it's fitting that the one game to steal the idea will likely fly under the radar and as a multiplatform title is no threat to the Cube or Super Mario Sunshine.  Hopefully this will teach Nintendo not to hype up lame ideas as so incredibly innovative that they must be kept secret.

Realistically though I think Nintendo is so ignored these days that they probably could have an incredibly original and awesome system-selling idea right out in the open and no one would steal it until after the game became a success.  GTA3 has by far the most copied idea this gen and it ironically slipped in completely unnoticed until the reviews came in.  Nintendo acted like all their ideas would be stolen and ironically NONE of them have been copied not even Pikmin or Animal Crossing.  I think the reason Super Mario 64's ideas were "stolen" was because at the time Nintendo as by far the number one game company and everyone paid attention to them.  There's no need for them to worry now.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:27:02 AM »
"Hopefully this will teach Nintendo not to hype up lame ideas as so incredibly innovative that they must be kept secret."

Ninty does this for the exact opposite reason...They don't WANT to hype it up, they just want to keep it hidden so the gaming press can't criticize something before they've gotten to try it out...Look at Wind Waker...When the press clip was shown there was nothing but negative press...But when everyone could get their hands on it, they said "Hey, this isn't half-bad!"  Funny how it works against them in the exact same way because some people think it's something to end all things...*sighs*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 12:00:59 PM »
I want my Mario-Flight-Cap back.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
RE:Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »
I dont think that ninendo activley try to hype up their ideas, they just leave everyone to speculate on a few tantalizing details, therefore a hype builds by itself.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 02:22:02 PM »
"Ninty does this for the exact opposite reason...They don't WANT to hype it up, they just want to keep it hidden so the gaming press can't criticize something before they've gotten to try it out"

Yeah but when the press asks "when are we going to see this?" Nintendo tells them they want to keep it hidden for now in case someone tries to take their ideas.  They said this about Super Mario Sunshine and it created all sorts of hype they couldn't deliver on.  Even if their intention was to not create hype their response created tons.  If Nintendo wants to keep hype down they should just say "we'll show it when we think it's ready enough to be shown."  That's what a lot of developers say and it works fine.  But Nintendo always says something weird that hypes their games up huge.  Remember when Miyamoto said he didn't want to show any screens of Mario Kart because screens would reveal what type of game it was?  That created TONS of hype over something that was just two people in each cart.  Nintendo should just shut up when it comes to this sort of thing and not give hints or anything.  Just a straight out "it's not ready to be revealed publicly yet" is all they need.

The way they handled Wind Waker was actually quite fine.  The only problem with that was that they showed a completely different Zelda video beforehand.  They didn't actually say anything to build up undeliverable hype.  Super Mario Sunshine was built up like it was the most amazing original game ever made.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I want my Mario-Flight-Cap back.

And I want my tanooki suit back.
I bet I'd find some at a fur-con. Off on an adventure!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »
Tanooki in teh 3-D!?@

MEGA-ASS-TON!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 05:06:42 PM »

Realistically though I think Nintendo is so ignored these days that they probably could have an incredibly original and awesome system-selling idea right out in the open and no one would steal it until after the game became a success.

Well, there is always Jason Rubin, of Crash Bandicoot/Jak and Daxter fame.

He's pretty much admitted in numerous interviews that he steals every idea that anyone else in the industry has (especially Miyamoto, who he "respects deeply"), and once he does he's suddenly better than everyone else in the industry, because he's got all their ideas, plus his own ideas.

But really, what are you going to do to stop someone like him? Refuse to talk about a game six months before it's release, and just release it quietly on launch day, and the most you can hope to accomplish is delaying the knock-off's release by about six months. Unless the silence kills your game, and nobody thinks the ideas in it are worth stealing.

I think it's just "Nintendo's way" to be ultra-secretive, and it's a personality thing, not calculated.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 06:08:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Draygaia
I don't think thats copying or stealing.  The idea of returning colors to something black and white is pretty old.  Now if the character had a watercannon then yeah I would accept that as copying.

Watch the official video, the only video there is, on Gamespot and you will see the character Milo squeezing the chameleon and it spraying out colors almost Exactly like how the water came out of the sprayer in S.Mario Sunshine............  Also the "paint" sprayed out flows just like the water did in Mario and covers objects and the ground literally exactly how it was done in Super Mario Sunshine.  I say "stolen" with brackets because Nintendo was afraid of that back in 2001/2002 while Sunshine was in development, and I believe how they're doing it in Milo and the Rainbow Nasties is a copy of SMS just based on how it works in the game by what I saw in the official video for MRN. VIDEO HERE

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 06:29:01 PM »

I think it's fitting that the one game to steal the idea will likely fly under the radar and as a multiplatform title is no threat to the Cube or Super Mario Sunshine. Hopefully this will teach Nintendo not to hype up lame ideas as so incredibly innovative that they must be kept secret.

Thank you T_T.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 07:20:47 PM »
Or maybe it's the fans hyping it up?  Which it is... -_____-
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 07:24:41 PM »
If the next Mario isn't 4D i'm selling my GameCube.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 09:08:10 PM »
Didn't Wizball already include the ide of painting things with color and didn't Haslloween Harry (aka Alien Carnage) give you a backpack whose contents could be used to fly or spray at enemies?

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
! SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS PLAYED WIZBALL =o, today is a great day. I want a port of that to GBA
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
It involves using a chameleon to squirt colors back onto the world that previously had become completely black and white.  The game includes the abilities to mix and match colors to create more colors, ala the color spectrum.

I'd prefer this idea than SMS's dirt-cleaning idea.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 12:58:01 AM »
Yeah, if this is pulled off well, it could actually make for a pretty cool platform-puzzle game. Golden Sun has proved that a pretty standardised genre can have a lot of life pumped into it via heavy use of original puzzles.

If I knew Warthog to be a highly competent developer (which I don't), then I'd be pretty hyped up about this game. I've never actually played a game by these guys, thuogh. From what I've seen., their previous games tend to be crappy francise titles, and liscenced to the likes of Acclaim, but the the 3 games they've announced all look to be something original. Kudos to these guys for finally giving publishers what looks to be the jip to do their own thing.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 04:08:55 AM »
But Milo and the Rainbow Nasties is a game designed for little kids in the 6-12 age bracket. It's not going to be a challenging platform game.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 05:33:26 AM »
I dunno. These little kids are becoming much more skilled in the art of gaming. I know a 6 year old who took out an experienced player as Raphael in SC2. It was actually kinda sad cause the 6 year old was mashing the hell out of the vertical swing button. ^_^

Me: Dood! Sidestep!
Experienced guy (Nightmare): Wot?
6 year old (Raphael): *SLICE* NO GOOD!
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2004, 07:26:36 AM »
But eh I really don't care if a lot of developers started using that idea.  A lot them can't even make a character control engine as simple as Wario World.  The amount of it crappily done in the N64/PSX era is amazing.  ,
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 05:02:07 PM »
If anything, this game is stealing from Rainbow Brite.  Suckas.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 10:57:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Or maybe it's the fans hyping it up?  Which it is... -_____-

I'm sorry, but what does Nintendo expect when they claim that it is so amazing that all the competitors will copy them if they tell anybody a single detail?  The fans wouldn't hype it up beyond belief if they had some idea of what was possible >_>.  Or I wouldn't....

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 02:04:54 AM »
The art style is the same as Rayman 2, which was neither a game for chilren or an easy game.

What makes people so willing to pounce on any game without a 'realistic' art style? Games are games, sand it's about bloody time develoers stopped taking their visual style from movies. So much more can be done with games, and I sincerely hope these guys might go even a small step twoards proving it.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 04:06:44 PM »
ya I noticed the art style too right off the bat, I especially liked how the clown looked both in his black and white form in the game and when he ends up having his color restored form.