Author Topic: PSP's "Original Titles"  (Read 7021 times)

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
PSP's "Original Titles"
« on: July 17, 2004, 06:49:53 AM »
Link

So...this is the PSP's branch of "ORIGINAL" titles that are coming out when it debuts?  Interesting, I mean I have NEVER heard of games like Gran Turismo or Viewtiful Joe before.  IT'S ASTOUNDING!!  What game could Devil May Cry be?!?!  I'm so EXSTATIC!!!

BAH!!  Original my foot.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
RE: PSP's "Original Titles"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 07:30:45 AM »
Where does it say "original" to begin with?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
RE:PSP's "Original Titles"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 07:44:02 AM »
It wasn't that title that stated the games were supposed to be original.  It was this interview click me that said the PSP was to get ORIGINAL games.  Sure they might be original verions of those, but by their definition, it could mean "Dante included!! PSP EXCLUSIVE!!"
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 04:43:10 PM »
Smart move by Sony. If the PSP turns into a dumping ground, even the die-hard fanboys will stick its bigger cousin and leave the lil one out rot. It'll pull an N-Gage in short.

Let's not forget that the first PSP game shown to the public, "Death Jr." is an original product. Its just that it seems Japanese devs are weary, while (generally) American devs are licking their chops to make games for it. Even with the Sony name behind it, it still has a few hurdles to jump. Now if we can get an exact figure on how long the battery life lasts for gaming...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 07:03:48 AM »
3 hours. [Also available in PDF.]
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 05:01:45 PM »
That's a very shifty answer (in the interview). The devs better have quicksave as a standard option then; nothing like beating a level only to have the battery die out on you...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 07:19:16 PM »
I've read that before... Which is why I think Sony's official line about 10 hours for games is complete bull.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 11:52:26 PM »
I'd say the PSP (or any handheld for that matter) should support "Suspend to non-volatile memory".

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 06:05:40 AM »
Better support than the N-Gage.  
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 12:30:12 PM »
The battery life is going to be 2.5 hours for movies, and those are reading the disc the entire time, so naturally the lowest battery life for games would be 3 hours.  Games that don't read the disc continuously can have the battery life last upto 8 hours.  (this is direct from Sony)

System launches rely heavily on sequels, so it's not surprising that many of the games aren't original yet.  It's safe business practice to release sequels on a brand new platform anyways, that way you aren't risking putting all that new development and ending up in the red.  Another thing is, all consoles have seen sequel after sequel in the last few years, it's the current trend in the industry.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 01:33:23 PM »
The thing that I don't understand is why would game play be longer....I mean with that you have to constantly be pressing buttons (especially if it's a SquarEnix game) and all the saving and actually having to POWER up the motor again.  I don't know, just something that's always bothered me.  And the whole concept about sequels being a safe business tactic is true, just I think it's sort of funny how Sony said that they were only going to release ORIGINAL titles.  I may be taking it the wrong way, but....when I heard that I thought it meant NOT SEQUELS.  But oh well.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 02:27:05 PM »
...if you're just listening to music with no visuals at all then it should last, as I said yesterday, about eight to ten hours...

No visuals, no disc, eight hours.... Even a game that barely reads the disc won't last that long.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 06:31:57 PM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
The thing that I don't understand is why would game play be longer....I mean with that you have to constantly be pressing buttons (especially if it's a SquarEnix game) and all the saving and actually having to POWER up the motor again.

The button pressing takes very little electricity, the thing that kills the battery the most is to continuously spin the disc for 2 hours as well as having the laser to read the disc continuously for 2 hours.

Reply to Renny's comment: I took the whole music thing lasting 8+ hours as the fact that there will be music albums released on UMD's.  I think that's what they were referring to when they said music lasts 8 hours, the playback of the UMD music releases reading the disc for the whole 72 minutes or so.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 10:05:33 PM »
Nope, it was very likely the memory stick. If the screen made 75% battery life difference that'd be REALLY f#cked up.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 04:50:50 AM »
=O they get a VJ game?! That's some premium suckage there for ya.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 07:12:49 AM »
Erm, the PSP and DS will both get a VJ game, I think it's even the same one. I mean, the DS can do cellshading so it shouldn't be that much of a problem, Joe doesn't use a lot of polies.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 10:03:20 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Nope, it was very likely the memory stick. If the screen made 75% battery life difference that'd be REALLY f#cked up.

It's not just the screen that is used for games or even movies, each one requires more processing than just straight sound, and the screen is quite large at 4.3'', has a high resolution, and is backlit.  8 hours for running a umd to listen to music is similar to cd players abilities.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 02:54:11 AM »
Since that's marketing speech and the same marketing speech gve us performances of 600MT/sec, I'm inclined to believe that the 8 hjour thing is a best case scenario. Why quote the lower number (playing from UMD) when you can quote a higher one (playing from solid memory)? Also, they'll have enough problems getting movies released in the UMD format, getting music on it would be even harder. Either they'll go with recordable media (as with the MiniDisc) or they'll use the Memory Stick (with songs downloaded from their online service only, of course).

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 01:48:14 PM »
In the article they state they aren't really prioritizing UMD releases of either music or movies. ATRAC support seems to be ready for launch, though. To me that says the figure refers to playback from the Memory Stick. [I just realized what a terrible name that is for flash memory. A stick? Not quite something you associate with advanced technology. Heh.]

This is serious over-analysis though. Battery life will initially suck. Period. :¬]

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
(with songs downloaded from their online service only, of course).

we'll just have to wait until launch or maybe TGS to know about the music and movies deal, judging by what they said at E3 they will be releasing music on umds, and they'll probably pave the road with their owned record labels releases.  That reminds me, at TGS this september they're going to have all games due out at or around launch, playable there.  In the case that they did a complete reversal and decided not to release music on umds which wouldn't make any sense... (more umds produced= lower cost per umd, more software for their system in stores, more companies on board, more people who will buy it who are into music just as much games if not more so who can't dl off the web for it, etc....)  then I personally wouldn't mind using their online service connect.com I got to try it out when I bought a big mac meal for a free song dl (had no idea it was through sony) and the site is a blast, you can actually listen to any song of any album for 30 seconds for each song (insane).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 10:36:22 PM »
You remember that it was Sony that sued Sony for the Betamax? Sony's departements don't count on each other when it comes to promoting a product. Their movie departement lobbies for the banning of VCRs and DVD burners, while their electronics division happily produces said devices. I'd say their movie and music branches would just decide that the PSP isn't worth supporting...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 10:46:56 PM »
pigs will fly before that happens, with jetpacks

Offline jj984jj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 08:14:24 PM »
:lol: Original huh? 2 Mahjong titles, Bust-a-Move, Frogger, GT, and NFSU2 are all examples of these original titles. :lol:
DS 0wnz.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 08:34:56 AM »
Who in their right mind would pay 50$ for Mah-Jong.  I mean that game in the States, let alone in Texas, is awful to try to market.  Plus, you can find it for free on cell-phones and internet websites!!  Heck, even Lifesavers have their own.

Offline Kain

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
Most of those titles are sequles dammit.

and did anyone else get that frickin AVP pop up whene they clicked that? thought my comp got a virus... O_o