Author Topic: GC rpgs?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline shiznoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GC rpgs?
« on: March 20, 2004, 01:52:13 PM »
Hey everyone, im new here and i got my GC a few months ago.  ive gotten a few games but nothing thats really pulled me in for a while. im looking for a game thatll take a while, maybe an rpg. i dont really know of any good rpgs out, but i want something like diablo 2, with thre level gaining and the equipment. anyone know of any games like this? thanks
mmmkay

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: GC rpgs?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »
Sounds like what you want is an Action/RPG...In that case, I recommend Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, though it's obviously better with friends...

Also be sure to pick up Tales of Symphonia in July!

(Oh, and welcome...But please read the rules to fully enjoy your stay...Particularly, don't post new threads when there is one already existing..."What Game Should I Get?" thread
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 02:00:47 PM »
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and what the guy above me said and PC RPGs that play like Diablo 2 but better on the PC.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »
Is my name really that hard to remember?

Offline shiznoid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »
Is there any reason why these games get bad ratings? baldurs gate got a 78, chronicles got an 80. skies of arcadia got an 87.  
mmmkay

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 02:20:18 PM »
Baldurs Gate was an awful port of the PS2 version, which is why many sites marked it down. It has slowdown which wasn't in the original, and it's really annoying at times. Crystal Chronicles is a game that can only be enjoyed in multiplayer with at least one other person playing. If you're on your own, it's absoloutely pointless and dull. Skies Of Arcadia on the other hand has a turn-based battle system ala Final Fantasy, and is one of the finest RPG's to hit any console in recent years -- it's well worth at least 87% in my book.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Salem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 02:36:10 PM »

If ya like RpG's (just like me), I suggest ya to buy Skies of Arcadia Legends, it's really good; Phantasy Star Episode I & 2;  Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and finally, -Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life-, it's not even close to Diablo 2, is a totally different game, but if ya like RpG games and don't have problems with a touch of simulation, you're gonna love this one, a great one.
I'm a musician, a writer who only wants to express the determinations of a Soul..."Los sentimientos regocijantes abandonan espaciosamente mi entidad_ Oscuridad restante. En sueños habremos de vivir"

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
RE:GC rpgs?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »
Yep, get Skies of Arcadia Legends.  If you don't, you are missing out on a great RPG, and one of the best games I had the pleasure of playing!

AiAI s Sega!

And Tales of Symphonia as well when it comes out.  It got great, great review scores in Japan!

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
tales all the way

and dont forget about baten kaidos- its gonna be great  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »
I've seen a poll of most-wanted games on GC, for third-party BK and ToS(in that order) took the lead. Or maybe there was RE4 above them, not sure.

As for games that are out, try Lost Kingdoms II (better rent before buying, some people don't like it) in addition to the ones mentioned above. Phantasy Star Online is the closest you'll get to Diablo. Don't get scared by the name, it's fully playable offline (like Diablo). It's a hack&slay with leveling, randomized items (and Uniques!) and at least 10x as many quests as Diablo 2 (and none of them mandatory). It's not as advanced as D2 in some areas, but battles involve more tactics than Blizzard's game.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 07:38:07 PM »

Crystal Chronicles is a game that can only be enjoyed in multiplayer with at least one other person playing. If you're on your own, it's absoloutely pointless and dull.

oh, that is so not true...at least not for every person. While it is true that multiplayer was much more enjoyable, single player was a blast also. Truly, it was fun and challenging that way. It also got rid of the chalice complaint because the moogle NEVER comes up short. But yeah, it is more fun with 2+ players, but that doesn't necessarily mean 1 player is crap.

PSO I&II was good...but it got so mundane. I mean, how many times have I been in this damn jungle? It was fun though, especially when with a friend. The battles just got a bit dull after awhile..but it was fun.

Oh, and yes, Skies is a plus. Though from what you're saying u might also enjoy RE 1 & 0

PS. theres another topic for this ;-)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline shiznoid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »
does PSO feature a co-op or 2 player non-online mode? it has a subscription fee for online play, right?
mmmkay

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 02:06:24 AM »
PSO supports up to four players offline via split-screen, in both co-op and battle modes. There is a monthly subscription fee of $8.95 to play online, which covers Episode I+II, as well as the new Episode III card battling game.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 02:24:52 AM »
However, the difficulty is raised in multiplayer, so you shouldn't jump in directly with your level one characters unless you fancy dying about three times per room. Gets easier if everybody is at least about level 4 or 5 (maybe half an hour or so in SP) and doesn't lose their money as often. (A single "Dark Rifle" can make the game a whole lot more enjoyable)

Offline shiznoid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 07:17:24 AM »
either way, i dont think i am going to be paying a monthly fee, i got my GC for a good single/vs experince and meh PC is reserved for online (unless its a free online game)
mmmkay

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2004, 07:31:13 AM »
Id love to see a traditional Final Fantasy game on the GC, or even a RPG version of Zelda! (I can always dream...)
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2004, 07:47:02 AM »
You don't have to pay the monthly fee if you choose not to play it on line.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 10:45:21 AM »

an rpg zelda?? ew...no...ack! thats just bizarre, it just doesn't seem right. It just wouldn't be zelda...u know?

thats just my take on it
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 11:43:45 AM »
Hey, it works with Mario...

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »
Why not a Zelda RPG? Knowone thought that Mario could work as an RPG before Super Mario RPG came out (which my friends think is the best Mario game of all time!)
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2004, 12:01:56 PM »

Hey, it works with Mario...

Yeah if they used a battle system like M&L:SS (read: takes actual skill to play), and upped the anti somehow it could work. Zelda could even be a playable character.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 12:47:24 PM »
If you like Diablo, then PSO is your best bet. Its plays alot like the Diablo and its a prettier game. Plus you don't have to go on-line to Enjoy the mulitplayer.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2004, 06:52:36 PM »
Hm, a Zelda RPG might work with the tales battle system (maybe a bit modified, even, they'd sure as hell set Miyamoto on the task)...

Offline FOX McLOUD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 05:50:32 AM »
I'm confused, is Bill really a transsexual?  Is he talking about himself or someone else?

Either way, that is very disturbing.

One thing is for certain, don't tell us such things, we don't want to know.

Lets leave this site for discussion about games.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2004, 06:40:10 AM »
Does it really make that much of a difference whether I am or not?  And you're the one who brought it up, not I...

Back on topic, I still think Zelda would work best as an Action/RPG along the lines of the perfect game, Terranigma, which was basically a LttP-ish adventure with experience points...Think Adventures of Link without the repetition and annoying level-up system... ^_^