Author Topic: Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!  (Read 14672 times)

Offline WhoDey

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

does the gameplay allow you to explore, fish, visit the village, and other types of general bumming around, or are you constricted to spending the majority of the time doing farm work?  my biggest concern is there will be too much to do and not enough time in a day to do it.  there's a certain amount of farm work that will need to be done each day to run a successful farm, and i'm worried that there won't be enough time in the day to do other stuff.

I've obviously never played this new version for the Cube but I've played the ones on the N64, GBC, and GBA extensively. If this one is similar to them, and I'm sure it is, then yeah, there will be days when you are pressed for time and won't be able to do everything you wanted. This is especially true when you first start the game because you'll have all the crappy tools and nothing to fall back on as far as money goes. However, after you play awhile, you'll either get new/better tools or level up the ones you have that allow to do more work in less time. You'll then have time to really explore the game by fishing, talking to the girls, or doing whatever you like.

So yeah, you will feel rushed but it won't last long as long as you stick it out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 12:20:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Use Soap
Now one big worry I have is that the game will haved that stupind interface from HM64 where you need to go into the menu everytime you need a freakin' tool! Is this the same in HM:AWL, or is it more akin to its PS1 cousin, where theshoulder buttons were used to change the tool?

Unfortunately, you do have to enter a menu to pull out or change tools.  You can do it in the main menu that comes up when you press Start, or you can press X to get a more streamlined inventory interface.  It's not a big hassle, but it could be better.

Also what did you name your cow and dog?

My dog is "Bull" and my cow is "Kitty".  Most of the other animal names are not fit to print, although I will tell you that my horse is named "Gluey".  ;-)

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 12:25:29 PM »

Originally posted by: FROSTIC*!
Is the dialogue extremely repetative? Will I end up having to endure people saying stupid things like "Do not work to hard."?

No, it's not too bad.  Most people have three or four things to say at any given time, and their lines change depending on what time of the day and what season it is.  The dialogue isn't terribly interesting, but there are a few funny characters.  The conversations with your love interests are more interesting, especially when they take you into special dialogue scenes in which you get to choose your responses.

Another thing, IGN reported that there was a twist to the english version that wasn't in the Japanese version... I doubt you'll know for sure (seeing you're not a sick, religious follower like me), but any information on this would be truly helpful. I'm guessing it has something to do with dialogue, seeing Natsume only translates and publishes the game and couldn't program their way out of a paper bag.

Sorry, I wouldn't know.  Someone else in this thread mentioned the possibility of there being festivals, and although I haven't seen any yet, I'm still in the first year and haven't quite gotten to winter yet.

By the way, I got in engaged!  It's to Celia, the cute farm girl.  She finally gave in after I offered her many flowers and a fertilized egg...which she ate.  I'm assuming that the ceremony will take place at the end of the year.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline FROSTIC*!

• View Profile
RE: Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 02:33:58 PM »
*shudders*
She ate an egg with a baby chick inside and you're MARRYING this woman?

Yes, about the festivals, there are next to none. There'll be a New Years one at the mansion and a couple of musically oriented ones involving Gustafa. Nothing too amazing... except Gustafa really can play classical guitar.
You there. Yes, you. If you like Harvest Moon, you're to visit

http://hmotaku.net
for information and

http://hmforums.net
for discussion.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2004, 05:11:11 AM »
Gustafa is a total clone of Jerry Garcia.  It's pretty funny.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline FROSTIC*!

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2004, 11:41:28 AM »
XD
He's actually looking to be one of my favorite characters. Along with good ol' Murrey.. has he stolen anything from your farm yet? If not, watch out. Give him some money and food and he'll be on your good side, though if you look closely in the background when you're talking to peoppe and during cutscenes, you may notice him breaking into other peoples' houses...

*EDIT*

The person covering AWL over at HM Otaku is looking to know any english names of fish you can give. I'm not really expecting you to answer this, because you have far more important things to worry about, but if you happen to know some off hand or have nothing better to do one day, could you you give me some? Thanks a bunch anyway.
You there. Yes, you. If you like Harvest Moon, you're to visit

http://hmotaku.net
for information and

http://hmforums.net
for discussion.

Offline Oogle

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2004, 03:53:18 PM »
How animated is the environment in this game?

Does the grass waver in the wind?  Do rivers flow?  Any interesting effects like flashy fireworks, sunlight through trees, etc.?  Any variety in facial expressions and/or character movement?  Or do the people and animals move like robots?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2004, 03:12:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Oogle
How animated is the environment in this game?

Does the grass waver in the wind?  Do rivers flow?  Any interesting effects like flashy fireworks, sunlight through trees, etc.?  Any variety in facial expressions and/or character movement?  Or do the people and animals move like robots?

Good question.  The main things moving are water, people, and animals.  There is a waterfall near the village which feeds a creek that runs down to the ocean (which has animated waves).  Otherwise, most movement comes from NPCs.  Every person in the village has daily routines which change depending on the day and season.  It's just like in Majora's Mask, where you could follow the postman around all day and see the whole town.  Your animals also move around on their own, but without any noticeable pattern.  The characters do have facial expressions that tell you how they are feeling, and the animals' faces tell you whether they are sleeping or not.  However, animal emotions are expressed through little balloons that indicate either happiness or anger.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2004, 04:24:13 AM »
haha she ate a baby chicken.  And correct me if im wrong kingvudu but isnt a lass a guy and a lassie is a girl, or am i getting that mixed up with the dog in the older movies.  I read in EGM that towards the end of the year natsume will be releasing a game where you become a girl instead of a boy.  I wonder if there will be any extra features in this game besides you court a guy instead of a girl?
PikkCuber

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2004, 04:53:46 AM »
3 definitions of lass.
consider yourself corrected.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »
Yo you cant take definitions form a ghetto dictionary homey.
PikkCuber

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »
"Lass" is just short for "lassie", I think.  It's an Irish or Scottish thing.  Maybe both.

Update on the farm: it's now winter of the first year, and my wedding is coming up in just a few more days.  No one is actually talking about it, including the fiance, but I know it's coming thanks to the manual.  It snowed a bit one morning, and a weird sasquatch-looking guy has been walking around and mumbling.  Also, I bought a pond, which goes in the pasture and is apparently used as a swimming place for ducks, except I've never seen a duck and can't buy one.  So I don't know the point yet.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2004, 10:34:50 AM »
Ive read something somewhere (possibly nintendo power, i could go up stairs but im to lazy) that ducks come after 1 year or so and if you leave one spot open another aquatic animal will appear(can someone help me here?), well something like that anyway.  So heres the big question is Harvest Moon worth 40 bucks?
PikkCuber

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2004, 11:13:41 AM »
depends on several factors, such as your level of income, other expenses, etc.

for me, it's not the $40 i'm worried about, it's the 20+ hours of my life i'll put into the game that's in question.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2004, 11:35:29 AM »
same here, its the fact that i know i'll be spending over 100 hours of my life horribly addicted to this game...
I know is undoubtedly worth the money, its just the time im worried about.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2004, 11:13:36 PM »
Not to sound stupid or anything, but who is Jerry Garcia?

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2004, 05:57:57 AM »
Alright, next round of questions.

Considering your only on year 2, few things im curious about..

During the winter, is there any crops that can grow and be harvested?

Is there a mine in the valley?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2004, 06:50:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Pikkcuber
So heres the big question is Harvest Moon worth 40 bucks?

Well, it's not a game you're going to beat in a rental.  I'm not even sure if it can be "beaten".  It's obviously meant to be played for several game years, each of which is 12-15 real hours of playing time.  So if it sounds like you would enjoy the gameplay, there is a lot of value in this game.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2004, 06:54:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Hybrid Hunter
Not to sound stupid or anything, but who is Jerry Garcia?

He was the guitarist and leader of the Grateful Dead.  He died in the mid-90s.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2004, 06:58:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Syl_Aran
During the winter, is there any crops that can grow and be harvested?

Yes.  I am growing carrots and strawberries right now.  I believe turnips and at least one of the fruit trees can be harvested in winter as well.

Is there a mine in the valley?

Yes, although the game calls it a "dig".  It's sort of like a mini-game.  You go in, talk to the archaeologist, get a shovel, and start digging.  There are about fifteen squares you can dig up, and they regenerate every day.  All you have to do is stand over a square and press A.  If you don't find anything, you can keep digging, although I've found that items only turn up within the first five scoops; after that, you're just wasting time.  Occasionally you'll find an artifact for the scientist, but most of the items dug up are yours to keep.  They sell for a good bit of money to the traveling salesman, Van.  Digging is a good way to make some money on a rainy day, when you don't need to water the crops or take the animals outside.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2004, 06:02:15 PM »
i don't think this has been asked yet...how many memory blocks does the game use?

also, how does saving work?  can you only save at certain times of the day (i.e. when you go to bed), or can you save at any time?  i'm worried that the game will make you play for at least a half hour at a time.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2004, 06:06:03 PM »
Good question, vudu. I really want to know. I thought I heard like 46 from somewhere but I would like to get that confirmed. Makes me worried.

As for my question, do you get to have a doggy? I loved my Baxter so much. I want him back.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2004, 06:43:39 PM »
Hmmm.......I'm sorry, I didn't read this whole thread, but I doubt very much that this question has been asked.

What did you guys think of Harvest Moon 3 for GBC?

That is the only Harvest Moon game I have ever played and i did not enjoy it very much.  I want to know if the limitations of the GBC effected so much that is is a completely different game form AWL.  (obviously not too different, but i think you get my point.  How does HM3compare to AWL?)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
i don't think this has been asked yet...how many memory blocks does the game use?

I did mention this earlier, but the game uses 47 blocks, and you get two save files for that.  Pretty bad memory card usage, I'd say.

also, how does saving work?  can you only save at certain times of the day (i.e. when you go to bed), or can you save at any time?  i'm worried that the game will make you play for at least a half hour at a time.

You can save whenever you want at your house.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!