Author Topic: Use for Serial Port 2 Confirmed by Nintendo of Japan  (Read 2709 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Use for Serial Port 2 Confirmed by Nintendo of Japan
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:03:39 PM »
Late last night, it was confirmed by our pals at the N of J that the DS will in fact have connectivity features with the purple geometric lunchboxes we all own, the GameCube.  However, in the latest step in Nintendo's plan to rid the world of wires, the DS will come bundeled with a WiFi transmitter that (this is what you've all been waiting for) will be hooked into Serial Port 2.  Personally, the waffle iron would've done just fine...

E3 begins in 39:19:48:22:8

(COURTESY OF GCCAFE)

er...E3 begins in 39:19:48:09:5...

er...ah, forget it.

EDIT: from GCCafe.  "The other day (April 1st to be exact) we posted a news article about the Nintendo DS having connectivity to the GameCube. Now most of us are sure that it will have connectivity in some way shape or form but exactly how is anyone's guess. Well we here at the Café took a shot at just how it would work and our guess might eventually turn out to be more true than we could imagine. Unlike most sites April Fools jokes, which are just complete crap and lies, ours took fact, fiction, and our desires. The fact is that the Nintendo DS does in fact have Wi-Fi capabilities and that Nintendo will most likely try and use it. The fiction is that Serial Port II could be used for anything. Another piece of fact is that Serial Port II could in fact handle a Wi-Fi transmitter. Lastly, our desires are that this new awesome machine will always be connected to our Cubes so long as we are in transmittable distance. Keep watching the Café during E3 week to learn more about the Nintendo DS."

*sigh...* Mr. Von Riktor hopes Nintendo visits GCCafe often.  They can get some ideas.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: Use for Serial Port 2 Confirmed by Nintendo of Japan
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »
If it isn't an april fool's joke that is pretty sweet.  Nice (potential) tip!
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 12:21:15 PM »
GC-DS connectivity should have been almost expected, eh?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Use for Serial Port 2 Confirmed by Nintendo of Japan
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »
Even if it was created as an April Fool's joke, it could be quite close to the truth. We know Nintendo's love of connectivity, not to mention the fact they flat out told us they would be releasing add ons for the Gamecube.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 12:26:17 PM »

GC-DS connectivity should have been almost expected, eh?

While that's true, what with Yamuchi thinking the idea up only 18 months ago I wasn't expecting connectivity so soon.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 12:27:56 PM »
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Nintendo announced the GBA-GCN connectivity at the same Spaceworld that they announced the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube themselves.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 12:34:13 PM »
yeah but how long did it take for them to implement it?  SA2 used it but arguably they did not do anything worth while until FF:CC.  I guess I was thinking too optimistically and hoping I'd have this thing from the get-go.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »
Rumour has it at E3 Nintendo is going to announce their plans for DS-GC connectivity.  The first game will be a version of Pong that requires 30 players to use DS's for controllers.  30 players is a requirement as no computer AI will be programmed.  Miyamoto says he got the idea while riding in an overpacked car on the bullet train.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 12:39:04 PM »
How well the connectivity was used is subjective, and when it was first implemented is completely irrelevant- the point is Nintendo had planned it from the very beginning, so it's not unlikely they had planned DS connectivity from the very beginning.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 01:39:44 PM »
How is a Pong remake with required DS controllers not original?    Maybe I should have put an emoticon with my previous post.  It was supposed to be lighthearted joke.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 02:02:05 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
The least you could do is be original, Ian- I'm growing quite tired of reading the same thing from you post after post. =\

Jeez, mouse. Being a little harsh are we?

This sounds wonderful but I still want to see what this DS and/or Fusion looks like. I bet it has KNOBBIES! And pressy-button thingies. Do we know what format the games of this thing will come in? I would think Ninty would try to get  on the CD/miniDVD CrazY BoaT ASAP. Cheaper and that's what the PSP is using. I don't care what Nintendo says; I think the DS was made to counter the PSP. Maybe they started planning it before PSP was announced but I have a feeling their main focus is to suffocate Sony out of the handheld market with this thing. Whoa. How's that for a tangent? Anyways, yay for wireless.

has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »
Apparently someone pissed in MC's Fruit Loops as their April Fool's joke this morning... ^_^;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 02:06:18 PM »
HA HA HA! That is SO funny! I have NO idea who could have done that! HA HA HA! :/
*runs away with the rest of Mouse's Frosted Cheerios and Fruit Loops*  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »
Bah, congratulations on being the first to trick me today, Ian. A friend of mine tried to convince me the former lead singer of At The Drive-In, Cedric Bizler, had a heart attack, but that quickly ended when I told her he was a vegan.

Touche!

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 02:31:45 PM »
moral of the story? vegans don't have hearts
OUT OF DATE.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 09:21:50 AM »
The reason I was unsure that connectivity with NDS could be done using the GCN serial port was because the GCN has been out for about 3 years.  While the connectivity was shown at Spaceworld, Nintendo still had not released the GCN so if they need to tweek it for GBA-GCN connectivity they could have.
Yamuchi said HE thought up the idea 18 months ago putting the GCN in a 1.5 year life span.  I thought it was wild that they thought ahead/ got lucky that they had a spare port they could actually use for a brand new device to interact with a much older device.  That's all I was saying.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 07:12:49 AM »
It appears my "nintendo waffle maker for serial port 2" theory was wrong.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 12:37:47 PM »

The reason I was unsure that connectivity with NDS could be done using the GCN serial port was because the GCN has been out for about 3 years. While the connectivity was shown at Spaceworld, Nintendo still had not released the GCN so if they need to tweek it for GBA-GCN connectivity they could have.
Yamuchi said HE thought up the idea 18 months ago putting the GCN in a 1.5 year life span. I thought it was wild that they thought ahead/ got lucky that they had a spare port they could actually use for a brand new device to interact with a much older device. That's all I was saying.

Ah, I see your point now, and it is indeed a very good one, one which I did consider before. Still, though, I'm sure Nintendo designed the DS with the possibility of Gamecube connection from the beginning of the technical stage, so I doubt it would be any problem for them to implement it almost immediately.